Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
It was, Ghost Panther especially ruled.

Thanks for the Black Cat support, everyone! I'm extremely on edge with having to worry about cancellation for the first time, but I'm gearing up to stave it off as long as possible! I've been getting pages back and it's going to be a real cool book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Thanks for the Black Cat support, everyone! I'm extremely on edge with having to worry about cancellation for the first time, but I'm gearing up to stave it off as long as possible! I've been getting pages back and it's going to be a real cool book.

I demand you put a character in the book. :colbert:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I've put...several characters in the book?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Just have a good hook for a volume 2 if the issue 12 axe starts looming.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Yeah, but does it have words? :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I know her outfit's explicitly designed to accommodate her stretching powers but man that looks just uncomfortable to move in.

Looks much better on the cover:
https://static2.cbrimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/MSMARV2019005-cov.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738

this one looks way worse tho: https://static3.cbrimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/MARVTU2019004-cov3.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Yeah, but does it have words? :colbert:

Fuckin' spoilers dude

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Look at mommy's lil' rich boy over here, writing a story with characters.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If one of those characters isn’t Doop why even bother.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Fuckin' spoilers dude

My hero.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
As a Sony exec I have to ask- does Black Cat have to have Black Cat in it? Also I'd love if we could work in a SoundCloud rapper into the plot, to hook the kids.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Throw in Silver Sable and selfies. And god help you if you portray Black Cat eating gluten. We got demographics we don’t understand to pander to!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh, OK. I don't know anything about AA.

For the record: in AA, your sponsor is basically the person responsible for keeping you in the program and supporting you. If you fall off the wagon, your sponsor is supposed to be the person you call for help. So that solicit implies that Tony is saying, in effect, "since I fell off the wagon (kinda, sorta, virtually), I can't very well be responsible for helping you if you do, so I need to find you a new sponsor."

Which... isn't strictly required by the program, but every sponsor handles the position in their own way, so it makes sense.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

And if this is what spurs Tony to build some new gadget or app for Stark Phones to stop people from drinking, it makes sense that he'd ask another superhero for advice.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Question IRL posted:

And if this is what spurs Tony to build some new gadget or app for Stark Phones to stop people from drinking, it makes sense that he'd ask another superhero for advice.

Ah, the 'silicon valley techbro invents an overcomplicated solution to a problem that already had one' plotline. I mean, just from googling, that medication-based approach seems like it works? Then again it seems like nobody knows about it anyway, so I guess you can't really blame Slott for that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ah, the 'silicon valley techbro invents an overcomplicated solution to a problem that already had one' plotline. I mean, just from googling, that medication-based approach seems like it works? Then again it seems like nobody knows about it anyway, so I guess you can't really blame Slott for that.

It works for some people but does not work for others. When it comes to recovery it’s hard to do research as AA is an anonymous program. Also what is a success when it comes to staying sober? One month one year?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

Kamala's new costume, as seen in the solicits: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/get-an-exclusive-first-look-at-kamala-khan-s-new-costume?linkId=66292945

I'm guessing it's just for this space adventure, though.

I hope this is only temporary because gently caress, does this look terrible. It's such a baffling decision because her previous costume was already perfect.

Someone really should slap editorial a reminder regarding costumes that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I love how much of the costume appears to be metal, a material known primarily for being super stretchy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Slott is doing an aggressively dumb story in Iron Man right now where he built like the best best virtual reality ever where everything feels realer than real but bad guys hacked it and then gave people real guns and jetpacks and banned the good players and gave admin powers or something to trolls and the trolls unwittingly drove cars over people and shot real people and decapitated real people they thought were elves or something, and his evil mom and dad AIs convinced him to drink in the VR game which made him drunk in real life so uh

I assume this story will follow this trend.

Don't forget bringing back character find of 2004, THE GAUNTLET!!! Any day now, Slott will get to do his GAUNTLET war

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

It works for some people but does not work for others. When it comes to recovery it's hard to do research as AA is an anonymous program. Also what is a success when it comes to staying sober? One month one year?
I think the argument of the medication approach is that you don't have to never drink, but that usage of the medication correctly means you won't have the urges to drink to excess.

But I figure we're maybe getting offtopic from punchmans.

Soonmot posted:

Don't forget bringing back character find of 2004, THE GAUNTLET!!! Any day now, Slott will get to do his GAUNTLET war
Oh god I remember that subplot. I swear that was his Mantis with the way he wove it through his books, I'm amazed it never came up in his Spider-Man or Silver Surfer runs. Unless it did?

I guess now he's trying to make it happen?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

It works for some people but does not work for others. When it comes to recovery it’s hard to do research as AA is an anonymous program. Also what is a success when it comes to staying sober? One month one year?

It think it also runs into the problem that alcoholism is a condition with many elements (mental, social, societal, culteral) that I could see an engineer go
"But we invented a medicine that if you take hours before you plan to drink it prevents the effects of drinking. Beep boo boo, why didn't it work?
Does not compute!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Is he going to go 'Oh the Infinity Gauntlet is just one of a bunch of powerful Gauntlets.'

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I assume you're referring to the Dan Slott-created character Joe Green, aka Gauntlet, and not Gauntlet, the Claremont/Jim Lee/Whilce Portacio-created member of the Dark Riders.

Y'know, Gauntlet!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Read the first trade of Aaron's Avengers. Great stuff, really accessible to comics newbies.

I dropped off of Waid's run even way before Civil War 2. Was it any good? I think it relaunched with Avengers Unleashed and a revamped team, but did it get good? I heard that the flashback story was fun, but being chock in the middle of CW2 and Secret Empire didn't give it any favors.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't remember a single thing about Waid's Avengers other than feeling like it wasted the idea to put Kamala, Miles, and Sam on the team.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Waid's Avengers had some semi-neat Kang ideas but was pretty unmemorable.

That's not necessarily a bad thing; it's better to be unmemorable than, say, Chuck Austen's X-Men.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

That's not necessarily a bad thing; it's better to be unmemorable than, say, Chuck Austen's X-Men.

Yeah, I'd prefer to be unmemorable versus being known as the guy who wrote a ton of poo poo that had to be fixed. That's always gotta be a blow to one's ego.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wasn't Nadia Van Dyne introduced in that run too?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It's kind of amazing after all these years we still look back at Chuck Austen's run on X-Men and go "yeah glad this isn't that poo poo"

Is it because it had the unfortunate luck to follow Morrison's New X-Men? Or because even in a vacuum it's still that poo poo?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah, I'd prefer to be unmemorable versus being known as the guy who wrote a ton of poo poo that had to be fixed. That's always gotta be a blow to one's ego.

I'm guessing the guy currently writing Uncanny right now's not feeling too good on that front.

Maybe Dan Slott is too, at least regarding Spider-Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I loving hate Slott, but the Superior switch was pretty successful both commercially and critically, and he was moved to Marvel's original flagship book after writing more issues of Spider-Man than Stan Lee, so I bet he feels fine about his legacy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Yep!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Yes, sir.

Waid’s run had a lot of kind of basic Avengers stories, with a cast that was just a little different than the norm. You had Miles, Kamala, Jane Thor, and Sam Cap, rather than the originators of the names.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Does the Hickman Avengers Omnibus have the whole arc in order of reading?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Does the Hickman Avengers Omnibus have the whole arc in order of reading?

Yes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jiro posted:

Is it because it had the unfortunate luck to follow Morrison's New X-Men? Or because even in a vacuum it's still that poo poo?

No, it's still poop from a butt. Even ignoring G-Mo's run, you get Angel banging Paige in mid-air in front of Paige's mom, the stupid "No, Nightcrawler IS a half demon" reveal and also wanting to make him the Pope for... I don't even remember. There's more that I've repressed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

No, it's still poop from a butt. Even ignoring G-Mo's run, you get Angel banging Paige in mid-air in front of Paige's mom, the stupid "No, Nightcrawler IS a half demon" reveal and also wanting to make him the Pope for... I don't even remember. There's more that I've repressed.

That said, it doesn't help that Austen apparently (I haven't read it) everything Grant did (possibly after being told to, I think?).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That was more Joss Whedon who undid everything G Mo did, putting them back in costumes, ignoring stuff like Mutant becoming more of an ethnic identity with its own culture and what not.

Then Bendis really put the nail in it with "No More Mutants."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Austen's run on Uncanny is the same time Morrison is on New, taking over after Joe Casey left (whose run wasn't great, either). After Morrison finished, Austen took over New for two issues and either misunderstood what Morrison was doing, was told to make some changes to what Morrison did, or some combination of both.

-Morrison ends with Jean's dying action to change Scott's mind from quitting the school (since it leads to Here Comes Tomorrow), while Austen has him do just that
-Ernst is textually Cassandra Nova being re-educated at the school. Austen has Ernst as a separate character and Nova's body is held in the mansion. (Whedon follows up on this, as well, so he either missed the point or decided Austen was more canon.)
-There's a Salem Center X-Corp, which doesn't really make any much sense, and it's identified as a school (which they explicitly aren't).
-The last unnamed Cuckoo if named "Mindee," totally missing that they were supposed to spell out SPICE.

Austen remains on the book, but they drop the "New" and it runs into the story where we learn that there's a real Xorn only has a black hole for a brain instead of a star. This Xorn turns out to be nice. (We also learn over in Excalibur that there's another Xorn who was pretending to be Magneto pretending to be Xorn.)

Whedon mostly built on that groundwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Austen's run on Uncanny is the same time Morrison is on New, taking over after Joe Casey left (whose run wasn't great, either). After Morrison finished, Austen took over New for two issues and either misunderstood what Morrison was doing, was told to make some changes to what Morrison did, or some combination of both.

-Morrison ends with Jean's dying action to change Scott's mind from quitting the school (since it leads to Here Comes Tomorrow), while Austen has him do just that
-Ernst is textually Cassandra Nova being re-educated at the school. Austen has Ernst as a separate character and Nova's body is held in the mansion. (Whedon follows up on this, as well, so he either missed the point or decided Austen was more canon.)
-There's a Salem Center X-Corp, which doesn't really make any much sense, and it's identified as a school (which they explicitly aren't).
-The last unnamed Cuckoo if named "Mindee," totally missing that they were supposed to spell out SPICE.

Austen remains on the book, but they drop the "New" and it runs into the story where we learn that there's a real Xorn only has a black hole for a brain instead of a star. This Xorn turns out to be nice. (We also learn over in Excalibur that there's another Xorn who was pretending to be Magneto pretending to be Xorn.)

Whedon mostly built on that groundwork.
Not to defend Austen, but most of those points from Morrisons are really obtuse.
Like they are things I only learned years after the fact. Like the fact he didn't carry on those points while he was writing his own arc really isn't one of his sins as a writer.

What would be his baffling ideas (the disintegration communion wafers, the Draco or crucified most of Gen X, Havoc or Angel beating up Magik and taking her soul sword.) The tone deaf stuff (Angel and Paige's relationship, she morning in Nurse Anne, mutants being immune to HIV)
But all of that pales in comparison to bringing in Juggernaut and Sammy the Squid Boy, doing a great job with them...then the mean spirited hatchet job he did burning them to the ground on the way out.

Like it's one thing to be aggressively bad. It's another to have good points, and pointedly destroying them on the way out as some sort of middle finger to the audience.