Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

abigserve posted:

Someone else said it originally but far cry five feels like Ubisoft used a monkeys paw wish to make "the best far cry game"

Every aspect of gameplay is near perfect. the story, characters, lore and the way they interact with the game are a loving garbage fire

The encounter design was mega boring like every far cry game though. Just a bunch of lazy rear end outpost takedowns like every ubisoft game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Playing Far Cry 5 just made me wish I was playing a modern Redneck Rampage remake instead.

Give me the same hillbilly scenery but with aliens and crazy weapons.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Turbinosamente posted:

After much soul searching I have reached a terrible video game opinion: F-zero is, at most, an overrated series.

yeah, it's just Mario kart without power ups

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I thought F-zero predates Mario Kart? But basically it's the same reason stuff like GoldenEye was popular; it was the first/only decent entry of the genre on that particular system, and that's all it really takes for an IP to stick.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Serephina posted:

I thought F-zero predates Mario Kart? But basically it's the same reason stuff like GoldenEye was popular; it was the first/only decent entry of the genre on that particular system, and that's all it really takes for an IP to stick.

Perfect Dark was 10x the game goldeneye was!!!

But it was just goldeneye with a ton of fixes I guess

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Turbinosamente posted:

After much soul searching I have reached a terrible video game opinion: F-zero is, at most, an overrated series.

The only F-Zero game that was really good was F-Zero GX (the gamecube one.) The other ones did not age well.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Vakal posted:

Give me the same hillbilly scenery but with aliens and crazy weapons.

This is pretty important for me. These "realistic" shooters are sooooo same-y. Give me some crazier guns and crazier enemies, please. it gets old fighting Soldier with light armor and Soldier with slightly more armor and Soldier with a lotta armor after a while

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

abigserve posted:

Someone else said it originally but far cry five feels like Ubisoft used a monkeys paw wish to make "the best far cry game"

Every aspect of gameplay is near perfect. the story, characters, lore and the way they interact with the game are a loving garbage fire

finally, the perfect bad game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
F Zero was bullshit, the computer cheats so hard

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wipeout made f zero irrelevant pretty much instantly.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It's not fair to say F-zero was bad when the last true game in the series was like 20+ years ago for the N64. It was a top tier racing game back then, in an age that included Pilotwings, Waverace, Mario Kart, Gran Turismo and Wipeout, to name a few

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

it wasn't as good as any of those games

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Elex is the best contemporary post-apocalyptic open world rpg

yes the voice acting is poo poo and its got some wonky combat but its still way better than fallout or any of those zombie/survival games

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I enjoyed the driving in F Zero a lot more than in Mario Kart and GX was a really good game. Never played the N64 one I assume N64 games are always bad.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

the n64 was completely terrible and is literally the only console ever that doesn't have any good games that can't be played less shittily on other platforms

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah I don't think any of the N64's supposed "classics" are good, like OoT or Goldeneye or the Banjo games, I remember them all as trash. Mario 64 I can live with.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I had a lot of fun with some of those games. There wasn’t really a readily available alternative for me at the time.

It isn’t like I ever think back and go “Boy, remember Perfect Dark??? SUCH an awesome game.” It’s more like “Boy, we sure played that a lot. Good childhood memories I guess.”

There is zero desire to go back and play any of those games now. I can tell because I could (N64’s in the basement somewhere) but never have.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The best n64 game was Blast Corps

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Soiled Meat
The best FarCry game is the first one.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The best n64 game was Blast Corps

steinrokkan posted:

folks this is the UNpopular videogame opinions thread

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It's not fair to say F-zero was bad when the last true game in the series was like 20+ years ago for the N64. It was a top tier racing game back then, in an age that included Pilotwings, Waverace, Mario Kart, Gran Turismo and Wipeout, to name a few

:lol: you buffoon.

QuarkJets posted:

it wasn't as good as any of those games

This guy gets it.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
the n64 classics don't fully redeem the console. but being an oot/mario/banjo kazooie n64 kid vs. a metal gear solid/resident evil/final fantasy ps1 kid was an important formative distinction.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

steinrokkan posted:

i'm gonna SHOOT you in the FACE

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zane posted:

the n64 classics don't fully redeem the console. but being an oot/mario/banjo kazooie n64 kid vs. a metal gear solid/resident evil/final fantasy ps1 kid was an important formative distinction.

Meanwhile, I liked well-made computer video games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think N64 really stands out from the rest of nintendo's post SNES output. A handful of good exclusives and a massive pile of shovelware. At least a lot of the shovelware side has shifted towards indie ports, some of which are actually really good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I don't think N64 really stands out from the rest of nintendo's post SNES output. A handful of good exclusives and a massive pile of shovelware. At least a lot of the shovelware side has shifted towards indie ports, some of which are actually really good.

I have a Nintendo 64 home computer system but the fact of the matter is, there is absolutely no reason to hook it up like, ever, because everything except Tetrisphere that is good is available on other systems.

And Tetrisphere isn't that good.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zane posted:

I find most n64 games i used to enjoy just unplayable today, but not older games like NES or SNES. I think it's because they were just figuring out 3d and had not quite mastered it yet. Like Atari 2600 games for 2d, they are largely trash. ps1 games i liked on the other hand I still find playable. ff7 is still a great game, Quest 64 not so much.

also lots of n64 games really relied on having cool 3d graphics as the only selling point, which obviously didn't hold up.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The N64 was absolutely a low point in quality when it comes to game consoles. It's a dip in quality between the high-quality titles on the SNES and the Gamecube, which both had their fair share of shovelware (lol what console doesn't) they just had a lot more good titles, and of those the average quality was simply better

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The n64 is the most overrated system ever. It's loved on this website because most of the users were little kids when it was current.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the n64 is actually proof of the mandela effect. it comes from a timeline where everything is the same as ours except everybody has 3 arms, thus the gamepad

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nintendo console tier list, best to worst:

SNES
Switch
Wii U
Wii
Gamecube
NES
N64

handheld:
n3ds
3ds
DS
Gba
gbc
gb

Hehe.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
But switch is a handheld :smuggo:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Naw. Only for losers. If you see someone with a switch in public, you turn 360 and walk the other way.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you see anyone playing in public, you should give them an atomic wedgie and a swirlie.

Switch handheld is for playing Marios while in bed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

The n64 is the most overrated system ever. It's loved on this website because most of the users were little kids when it was current.

Nah, Steam is. People like Shaggar love steam which tells you everything you need to know. About Steam.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you see anyone playing in public, you should give them an atomic wedgie and a swirlie.

Switch handheld is for playing Marios while in bed.

only with kindness can we break the circle of bullying, my friend

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Definitely bust a switch out on a plane though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Let sweaty incels have their games IMHO.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
switch in public = volcel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Nintendo console tier list, best to worst:

SNES
Switch
Wii U
Wii
Gamecube
NES
N64

handheld:
n3ds
3ds
DS
Gba
gbc
gb

Hehe.

does Virtual Boy count as a console or a handheld?