Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Flopsy posted:

Vikings are a possibility or like Mr. Buddy's video guessed possibly Roman invaders. Or it could just be straight up pokemon "War of the Roses" so who knows. I'm there with you about team Flare though. I remember everyone laughing their rear end off at the game trying to play down Lysandre like he wasn't the big villain with his ridiculous rear end hair and weird philosophizing.

It was a lot funnier back when the idea of a weird old guy's vaguely fascist rants being lauded by the academic community as 'so passionate!' was something you couldn't imagine happening in real life.

Needs to get his rear end kicked by Pokemon Slavoj Zizek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The gyms have already been shown to be football stadiums, and I’m pretty sure that there will be less than eight because iirc only around five where on the world map

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

thetoughestbean posted:

The gyms have already been shown to be football stadiums, and I’m pretty sure that there will be less than eight because iirc only around five where on the world map

Well, there's one more "stadium" in the far northern "London analogue" city. It could be the Elite Four location, but it could also be another gym(probably the last one you visit).

Assuming that the two other big cities in the middle of the map have gyms as well (which don't show up as well on the map due to the cities' size), that would come out to around the traditional eight gyms.

The concept of the gyms as sporting arenas is an interesting one, though. There are quite a few ways they could go with the concept. Maybe you'll have your own gym, and the pokemon league is essentially your gym challenging the others for the right to move on to the playoffs/Elite Four. It could be interesting if you challenge the gym as a team with your "friendly rivals", while the antagonistic rival is also a gym leader with his own "Opposing Sports Team". Maybe it would be a way for double/triple battles to see more relevance in actual gameplay, since Nintendo seems to be pushing them in official tournaments. Of course, the gym would probably end with you going one-on-one with the gym leader, as per tradition.

There's also potential plot implications to be had with the idea of fighting your Pokemon battles in front of a live audience. For instance, one idea for the token villain team could be football hooligans that support the rival gym, and stoop to any means to ensure that they win. This time, the villains aren't after the box legendary for the purposes of world domination or destruction or whatever. They've got the same goals as you; become the champion. Only they're willing to do anything to be the champ, no matter how unethical or potentially world-ending.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Could be some secret underground stadiums or something. Maybe they'll mix it up and one will be a cricket ground while another is a golf course.

I dunno if there's really any guesses to be made for the plot; as said, Game Freak's villain teams tend not to have much obvious relation to the area's theme, nor the overall plot and legendaries for that matter. We just had a game in Hawaii where the antagonists are partly a goth street gang and partly the overzealous employees of a charitable nonprofit with a shady underbelly who think you're an intruder, and the main plot involves extradimensional monsters even weirder than the superpowered monsters that already live there.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 21, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zuzie posted:

I think she was supposed to have a bigger role in that Relic Castle plot that got cancelled due to that Earthquake? But yeah, she was kind of useless until the Necrozma arc where she's now in the same role as Cassidy. Heck she wasn't even named anything in the English dub until the Necrozma arc some 9 years after her introduction.

Team Rocket has so many members in it that they end up taking on similar and often redundant roles. Cassidy and Butch were originally better versions of Jessie and James until they somehow morphed into worse versions, and there's been several amoral scientists. I even remember an episode back in Johto that introduced an administrator who basically had the same role as Matori does now.

https://bulbapedia.bulbs garden.net/wiki/Wendy_(EP231)

Are you thinking of this character?

She only showed up once and was more middle management than Giovanni’s secretary

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s me, the member of the mafia who was relegated to middle management. This mafia paperwork isn’t going to file itself!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Could be some secret underground stadiums or something. Maybe they'll mix it up and one will be a cricket ground while another is a golf course.

I dunno if there's really any guesses to be made for the plot; as said, Game Freak's villain teams tend not to have much obvious relation to the area's theme, nor the overall plot and legendaries for that matter. We just had a game in Hawaii where the antagonists are partly a goth street gang and partly the overzealous employees of a charitable nonprofit with a shady underbelly who think you're an intruder, and the main plot involves extradimensional monsters even weirder than the superpowered monsters that already live there.

Team rocket is just the Yakuza in 2 gens very focused on Japan city life, rse is a very nature focused series so magma and aqua are eco-terrorists, 4 is about history so Cyrus is trying to end it, flare is obsessed with beauty in Paris, and team skull is disaffected youths in a highly unequal society. I'd say most of the villain teams have very obvious ties to the themes of the games

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

thetoughestbean posted:

The steam city in the middle has a stadium in the trailer that isn't obvious in the map, so we might get the full 8 anyway.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Spend all the time and effort whittling down and setting up a capture on Necrozma, and then get a critical capture on the first Beast Ball:

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Dan Didio posted:

Spend all the time and effort whittling down and setting up a capture on Necrozma, and then get a critical capture on the first Beast Ball:

I just threw a quick ball

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I gotta teach too many drat moves to my Pokemon just to be able to get around the world. I've already taught my Swampert surf and dive, I don't want to have to teach him waterfall too. That's three of his four move slots taken up just for stuff to get around the world! And my Latias has fly and my Exploud has strength and rock break, I have to load up all my favorites with this crap!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

fly becomes redundant eventually

gen 4 was worse with i think 8 hms, including rock climb and defog 🤢

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Best thing SM did was finally getting rid of HMs.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The earlier gens were usually better with the HM stuff in that along with the Route 1 bird and bugs, there was usually a generic boring often normal type at the start of the game that seemingly existed to be your HM slave.

Hoenn was nice enough to give you one with Pickup as an ability and Sinnoh gave you Bidoof.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gen 7 was the best with HMs because it removed them entirely, but before that BW did a pretty good job in making them completely optional for side areas (except the forced use of Cut once and it seemed to be there entirely as a HM tutorial in the first place). Too bad B2W2 then took a step backwards on that (between other things).

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

fly becomes redundant eventually

It doesn’t, Soar takes too long and quickly becomes repetitive so Fly remains superior.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I was somewhat confused when the game sent me to the final fight when I'd only beat 7 of the 8 gyms. But then I beat the ancient god destroying the word and the credits didn't roll. And people were like, you did a great job, but you still have a gym left, and then four more dudes to fight!

And I realized that the whole story with the terrorists unleashing a legendary monster to destroy the world was a subplot. The actual plot of the game is me being the best at Pokemon fighting.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It can be really fiddly to land at specific spots with Soar. I put my secret base next to the Safari Zone so it has easy access to a PC, and Soaring there is a bitch.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I just realized I expect the Switch game to be more expansive and probably longer since it’s moving up a weight class in terms of platform. I hope that’s the case

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

drat secret bases were cool

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I always thought gen 3 was kinda lame but hearing it through your words makes me think that maybe it is me that's lame

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Gripweed posted:

I was somewhat confused when the game sent me to the final fight when I'd only beat 7 of the 8 gyms. But then I beat the ancient god destroying the word and the credits didn't roll. And people were like, you did a great job, but you still have a gym left, and then four more dudes to fight!

And I realized that the whole story with the terrorists unleashing a legendary monster to destroy the world was a subplot. The actual plot of the game is me being the best at Pokemon fighting.
I think that's pretty true of all the games except Black/White.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
In BW, on top of being mostly optional, 2 hms (waterfall and dive) are post-game.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Paul.Power posted:

I think that's pretty true of all the games except Black/White.

Gen 5 did the best job at integrating the "become the champion" and "defeat the villain team" plots.

It sort of worked in the original game, too, since Team Rocket wasn't really played up as anything other than a distraction, and the surprise twist of Giovanni being the last gym leader helped to put a proper climax on the subplot and lead into the Indigo Plateau finale. But as the villain team's goals have escalated into world-threatening territory with each gen, and the stakes have gotten higher, actually beating the Elite Four and the champion feels anticlimatic when compared to saving the world after seven gyms.

Hopefully Gen 8 does something similar to Black/White and meshes the two plots together more - like having the villain team's plan come to fruition after you become the champ. Then the plot works well in explaining why some kid is expected to save the world - you're the goddamn champion and the strongest trainer in the region; of course you'd be expected to protect it.

Or maybe the champion is the leader of the villain team. I don't think they've done that yet.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

N was technically the Champion when you fought him.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Considering the gym fights seem to be soccer-inspired and the game is based on England, I'm expecting none of the relevant trainers to be British and people moaning about how it's been 50 years since they had a local champion in their league.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dias posted:

Considering the gym fights seem to be soccer-inspired and the game is based on England, I'm expecting none of the relevant trainers to be British and people moaning about how it's been 50 years since they had a local champion in their league.

I remember the time the Kalos champion head butted the Unovan Champion, it was crazy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I always figured they were like "Listen, we can't change the rules just because you defeated the mafia, saved the world, and captured literal God in a Premiere Ball. You still gotta get that eighth badge, kid."

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Detective No. 27 posted:

I always figured they were like "Listen, we can't change the rules just because you defeated the mafia, saved the world, and captured literal God in a Premiere Ball. You still gotta get that eighth badge, kid."

Frankly, I appreciate their commitment to the rules

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not only do they not consider bending the rules to declare you a master trainer early or something, it never occurs to anyone that maybe what you did should change the course of your Pokemon journey and your entire life. They're thankful that you saved the world, but they don't really treat the situation with the gravity you'd expect from people who saw the world almost get destroyed by a biblical deluge

I'm just imaging the Alpha Sapphire protagonist in middle school, talking with his classmates about what they did in their gap year (gap years in the Pokemon universe being between elementary school and middle school and entirely dedicated to Pokemon, of course). One says "I met this boy and we traveled together and he gave me my first kiss!" another says "I got part time jobs at the Pokemon Centers and that's why I want to be a vet!" and the AS guy says "I killed a god and saved the world. Remember that horrible storm that devastated the world a few weeks ago? I stopped it" and they're all treated with equal weight and importance

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was a lot funnier back when the idea of a weird old guy's vaguely fascist rants being lauded by the academic community as 'so passionate!' was something you couldn't imagine happening in real life.

Needs to get his rear end kicked by Pokemon Slavoj Zizek.

Oh God dude now you've made me sad. :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

less laughter posted:

It doesn’t, Soar takes too long and quickly becomes repetitive so Fly remains superior.

if you use fly after getting soar they put you down in the pokedex as Clownce, the Clown Dunce pokemon

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

oddium posted:

if you use fly after getting soar they put you down in the pokedex as Clownce, the Clown Dunce pokemon
Blissey bases are downright amazing for any pre gren 7 powerlevelling and the time difference between fly and soar adds up.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

I'm just imaging the Alpha Sapphire protagonist in middle school, talking with his classmates about what they did in their gap year (gap years in the Pokemon universe being between elementary school and middle school and entirely dedicated to Pokemon, of course). One says "I met this boy and we traveled together and he gave me my first kiss!" another says "I got part time jobs at the Pokemon Centers and that's why I want to be a vet!" and the AS guy says "I killed a god and saved the world. Remember that horrible storm that devastated the world a few weeks ago? I stopped it" and they're all treated with equal weight and importance

“Also I’m now the best trainer in the country.”

The next kid speaks up.
“I caught a Shiny Zigzagoon. His name is Shigshagoon.”
The AS Protagonist hangs his head in shame, for his story has been topped

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Super No Vacancy posted:

drat secret bases were cool

it's true

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

oddium posted:

it's true

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Most of the time when you save the world you do it quickly enough that nobody even realizes it was in danger.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I did it, I beat Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. That elite four/champion sequence was awesome, and I really liked the final little fight with May. That was a nice way to end the game.

I wasn't crazy about the weird sequel tease at the end. Watching the meteor shower with May was such a nice moment to end on, but they kinda ruined it by reminding you of your dysfunctional home life just to get you interested in the next game. Also, why do you need to buy tickets to see a meteor shower?

That quibble aside, I really liked the game. As I said, I hadn't played a Pokemon since I was a small child with Pokemon Blue on the Gameboy, but I am back on the Pokemon train now

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I did it, I beat Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. That elite four/champion sequence was awesome, and I really liked the final little fight with May. That was a nice way to end the game.

I wasn't crazy about the weird sequel tease at the end. Watching the meteor shower with May was such a nice moment to end on, but they kinda ruined it by reminding you of your dysfunctional home life just to get you interested in the next game. Also, why do you need to buy tickets to see a meteor shower?

That quibble aside, I really liked the game. As I said, I hadn't played a Pokemon since I was a small child with Pokemon Blue on the Gameboy, but I am back on the Pokemon train now

No, it's not a tease for the next game, it's a tease for the post-game story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I can't believe you murder Pokemon Boris Johnson in the new game

The bad guys wanna separate from the rest of the Pokemon world by scapegoating Alolan form Pokemon