Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This would explain how they have successfully portrayed Alex as a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
looks like YIIK in general is just a nexus for alt-right personalities, since everyone else like Toby Fox got one look at what the game turned out to be and immediately pulled the ripcord

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm not sure what the gently caress yiik's politics are tbh. It has moments that seem almost like it wants to be woke (Chondra on racism, gay "romance" option) but then ping pongs to Alex hating women.

I don't even know.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Kirbopher thinks money grows on trees, Alexverse literally has a money tree.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Goddammit I found out about this Kirbopher guy yesterday (I liked Reigen's voice in the MP100 dub) and it already turns out he's awful.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'm not sure what the gently caress yiik's politics are tbh. It has moments that seem almost like it wants to be woke (Chondra on racism, gay "romance" option) but then ping pongs to Alex hating women.

I don't even know.
Imagine yiik picks its stance trying increase its odds of getting laid in the young progressive crowd, but sometimes the mask slips off the dick.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Well, that's all kinds of gross. But I honestly can't say it's that surprising to me that people involved in making this game turned out to be abusive misogynistic shits, all things considered.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I honestly think its only coherent political statement is "women are objects".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i follow a lot of anime voice actors on twitter and for some reason that crowd has by and large been much, much slower to cut off kirbopher than they were with vic mignona

dunno if it's because kirbopher doesn't have an incredibly long paper trail of horror stories at cons over the past decade and counting but

I think that’s about it. Outside of a relatively small circle, no one knows who the gently caress Kirphober is and the awful poo poo he’s been pegged with, which he managed to keep private for a long while. Everybody in anime knows who Vic is and he was a major part of some really massive and seminal series in the 00s and his history of being a creepo you didn’t want to interact with directly if you could avoid it had been an open secret for at least a decade.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Even back in 2003 when he was doing the first FMA series there was gossip about Vic Mignogna, but it was all, like, anonymous hearsay in LiveJournal comments. Now we have Twitter and you just @ a fucker right to his face.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

nine-gear crow posted:

I think that’s about it. Outside of a relatively small circle, no one knows who the gently caress Kirphober is and the awful poo poo he’s been pegged with, which he managed to keep private for a long while. Everybody in anime knows who Vic is and he was a major part of some really massive and seminal series in the 00s and his history of being a creepo you didn’t want to interact with directly if you could avoid it had been an open secret for at least a decade.

yeah, go figure; i can't even tell you what kirbopher's been in aside from like, this flaming turd of a game and gundam IBO and mob psycho, and i can't find any accounts of him shoving his balls into his colleague's neck at cons or molesting other well-known voice actresses in the industry or the like

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

looks like YIIK in general is just a nexus for alt-right personalities, since everyone else like Toby Fox got one look at what the game turned out to be and immediately pulled the ripcord

I know Toby's reticent to give interviews in general and even more gunshy about stirring up drama, but I'd love to hear his take on how he got involved in YiiK, the processes of making that one song for it, at what point did he realize he'd made a massive mistake, and what his thoughts on the game in general are.

Because that one little sequence of events; putting out a tweet promoting the game, and then very promptly and quietly deleting the tweet; speaks untold volumes. Now, I can't say much for the thus far silent Allanson brother, but the vocal one seems like a really lovely person in general, so god knows what a reaming pain he was to try and collaborate with and still manage to produce one of the only salvageable slivers of the entire game.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I thought Toby Fox was hired/contracted for one song which he took because this was prior to Undertale's release and he needed the cash. I only know the barest amount of info for Fox, but figured this wasn't a kind of game he shared the same political / social views of.

In other news, congrats to Grandma Party for discovering an lp gimmick that will launch him into LP Youtuber Popularity: posting and summoning others to post cat photos. If theres one thing the internet lives, it's more cat photos and talking over video games.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

There's a sister who did the art too.

I'd be curious to hear from her.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

value-brand cereal posted:

In other news, congrats to Grandma Party for discovering an lp gimmick that will launch him into LP Youtuber Popularity: posting and summoning others to post cat photos. If theres one thing the internet lives, it's more cat photos and talking over video games.

I got a photo of my mom's cancer therapy cat. His name is Hasaan and he is a hero.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

value-brand cereal posted:

I thought Toby Fox was hired/contracted for one song which he took because this was prior to Undertale's release and he needed the cash. I only know the barest amount of info for Fox, but figured this wasn't a kind of game he shared the same political / social views of.

He also wrote the song back when YiiK barely existed in any presentable form, so there was nary a hint of the true darkness lying under its hood, because he hood hadn't even been fabricated yet to hide anything under. But yes, that is the generally assumed timeline of things, as YiiK's development pre-dated Undertale's by at least a year and Toby hadn't even put up the Undertale kickstarter page yet when the Allansons contacted him, he was still trying to get traction off his work for Andrew Hussie and Homestuck.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

yeah, go figure; i can't even tell you what kirbopher's been in aside from like, this flaming turd of a game and gundam IBO and mob psycho, and i can't find any accounts of him shoving his balls into his colleague's neck at cons or molesting other well-known voice actresses in the industry or the like

He was Helios in Sailor Moon.

Ugh.

This whole game and everything involved just keeps turning into one of those pictures that gets worse the longer you look at it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
There are levels of bad/unsuccessful games and their creators.

There is the oddity who just has their own weird vision like your Suda 51s or your Yoko Taros; sometimes whose ideas gels well just with you and sometimes it actually sells pretty drat well, but they always have their own beat.
There is the has been, John Romero. They were hot poo poo once upon a time, but they had another throw at the dice and it fucks up bad.
There is self believing con men like your Peter Molyneux or the David Cage. People, who no matter how many times they sell everything under the sun to you and publishers, they still get money to make another piece of mediocrity.
There are the millions of fan/joke games that are created and live usually in total secrecy.

And then there is Brian Allanson. A man who makes poo poo fan games, managed to really make some waves getting attention to this particular project because to most people he was a loving nobody. He pooled a lot of resourced together, poured into his most creepy and awful obsessions about a real dead girl and when people finally got to play it, they peels back layer upon layer of disgusting and awful gameplay to critical animosity. And like any randriod, Allanson couldn't take failure on any level. So he sinks lower, possibly next to the Running with Scissors or Destructive creations level. Where he can be openly shitheaded and finally get his guaranteed praise so long as he flies the chanboard mentality at full mast.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
So, we're now to the point of the game where YIIK wants to ape a modern Persona game. Going to this model just makes me realize why the game's setting and plot feel so disjointed.

YIIK takes place in the modern world. At times, Alex's mother, job searches, and party members' employment is brought up, and they sound important, but nothing ever comes of them. Alex's unemployed mother is conveniently out of the picture most of the time, the job search is dropped immediately, and party members' jobs/education never interfere with farting around with Alex. Is this the kind of game that has a semi-realistic structure that accounts for progression of time, schedules, and other peoples' priorities? Or is it the kind of game that doesn't address these things and has a more standard fantasy pacing? YIIK almost always goes with the latter, but sometimes it wants to be the former, and it's jarring. You can't have both or else it causes this nasty dissonance.

I wonder if a Persona-like structure was intended from the start, but they didn't have the skills or time to implement it, so a mangled compromise was made.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I wouldn't put Peter Molyneux on the same level as David "I built a literal shrine to Ellen Page since she was eight years old, and frequently put in extremely racist caricatures in all my games while claiming I invented the narrative-based games" Cage.

Molyneux is guilty of over-promising, but he's not as garbage as Cage.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Mizuti posted:

I wonder if a Persona-like structure was intended from the start, but they didn't have the skills or time to implement it, so a mangled compromise was made.

Considering that one side-quest requires you to be in Frankton at night, which only happens like once the whole game, would suggest that a Persona-like structure was intended and mostly scraped.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Robindaybird posted:

I wouldn't put Peter Molyneux on the same level as David "I built a literal shrine to Ellen Page since she was eight years old, and frequently put in extremely racist caricatures in all my games while claiming I invented the narrative-based games" Cage.

Wait what

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Robindaybird posted:

At least not that we know of yet, but fine. They're both used car salesmen of game concepts though. One is exceptionally worse than the other.

He claims he came up with Beyond Two Souls just looking at pictures of Ellen Page, but the fact that he created a nude model of her without her consent suggests an obsession of some sort. He's also a raging homophobe and abusive boss.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Crabtree posted:

He claims he came up with Beyond Two Souls just looking at pictures of Ellen Page, but the fact that he created a nude model of her without her consent suggests an obsession of some sort. He's also a raging homophobe and abusive boss.

:allbuttons:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
He created the nude model of her expressly against her wishes iirc

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I have watched the episodes of this LP.

What the gently caress is this game, what the gently caress is this guys idea of post modernism, where did he study the artful art of maximum saltiness?

And why are there so many terrible people involved this is like a black hole except it selectively only sucks in trash and repels the good, like Toby.

gently caress you GrandmaParty for showing the world this, and thank you for your service O7.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

organburner posted:

gently caress you GrandmaParty for showing the world this
This thread was explicitly made to discourage sales of YIIK. Mission accomplished. :patriot:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I wondered why Kirbopher's name sounded familiar.

He did some minor voices in abridged series.. (though nothing recent I think)

And he played Therion in Octopath Traveler!? Oh no.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I heard about the guy when he did the english dub voice for Reigen in MP100

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

YggiDee posted:

Goddammit I found out about this Kirbopher guy yesterday (I liked Reigen's voice in the MP100 dub) and it already turns out he's awful.

Oh goddamnit

Also as for the politics, even the alt-right detests this game, albeit for surface level reasons (the faux-hipster aesthetic and they just have an allergy to anything even slightly more postmodern than a harem anime) so I don't even really get who this is for. As for the postmodernism, I looked ahead a bit and believe me, my English degree and I are going to have loving words about this.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 22, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 24 is up.

Special guests: Combat Lobster. He did one with me, I did one with him. Because not everyone watched the YIIK demo.

Who likes skits? Especially skits about the existence of God and maybe about anime?

Also kissing. LOTS of kissing.

Cutscene Commentary On

Cutscene Commentary Off

Scabs is in this one.

Also there's some kissing. I don't know why you want to see this.

Vella Kiss

Wussing out

Pressing Upon My Bobs refers to the 7-eleven chili cheese dispensers.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 25, 2019

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
why is alex kissing her nose?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Equeen posted:

It's his first kiss

Sigh

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 22, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Two days is a long time in a game but a short time in Hell.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
wonder how much of that time is taken up by the combat minigames

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Equeen posted:

I'd really like to say that it's a reference to a scene from one of the funniest movies of the 90's, Hot Shots! Part Deux, but despite its repeated proclamations, this game does not, in fact, have a whole lot to do with the 90's.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Holy gently caress this game is like a slow roller coaster that goes down into a septic tank, you think you get used to the amount of poo poo but it keeps going deeper and deeper and it gets worse and worse.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:yiikes: is not getting used enough

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Crabtree posted:

So he sinks lower, possibly next to the Running with Scissors or Destructive creations level. Where he can be openly shitheaded and finally get his guaranteed praise so long as he flies the chanboard mentality at full mast.

This is unfair to Running with Scissors, they knew exactly what kind of garbage the Postal games were and did their best to deliver the best kind of garbage they could. You can see that went they've disowned Postal 3 for not meeting their standards of quality. YUK is almost on par with an MDickie game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

David D. Davidson posted:

This is unfair to Running with Scissors, they knew exactly what kind of garbage the Postal games were and did their best to deliver the best kind of garbage they could. You can see that went they've disowned Postal 3 for not meeting their standards of quality. YUK is almost on par with an MDickie game.

Honestly I think that’s an insult to MDickie. MDickie at least made a game in his menagerie of crap where you can experience the simple pleasure of throwing a microphone at your opponent’s dick while he’s trying to cut a promo. There is nothing pleasing about the two games Andrew and David Allanson and their alleged sister have produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Like I said, almost.