Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Todd knows her better than he does.

Can you imagine having your fate decided by Todd though? He’d Todd it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Shuffle posted:

Couldn’t penny have just incepted Julia while she was unconscious and ask her directly? He’s done it before.

For the needs of the story, evidently not. Maybe her subconscious would have still been debilitated with the magical injury or drugged up to unhelpfulness -- if you need an in-universe explanation.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Can you imagine having your fate decided by Todd though? He’d Todd it up!

Julia would've woken up with one extra arm. In the best case possible scenario.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Julia would've woken up with one extra arm. In the best case possible scenario.

That'd be pretty useful in this setting tbh. Remember Martin magicking himself a pair of extra fingers?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

That'd be pretty useful in this setting tbh. Remember Martin magicking himself a pair of extra fingers?

It’s Todd, there wouldn’t be a hand on the end.

A crab claw if she’s lucky.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Shuffle posted:

Couldn’t penny have just incepted Julia while she was unconscious and ask her directly? He’s done it before.

This is actually what I figured they were gonna do. He'd do some pscyh dive and they'd have some deep heart to heart about it under the desk her and q used to play under or w/e.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alhazred posted:

It was lovely writing. Especially for a show that has proven to be really good about these issues.

I don't think it's lovely writing.

OLU said "It has to be your choice" and said it like twice before the monster broke free. Focused real hard on "it has to be your choice" too, so I'm pretty sure that's Julia is going to go through the entire god hood poo poo again in some different reason for the next season

Okay yeah no you are right. That's lovely writing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So it dawned on me that Everett should have jumped into the seem mirror. He was bursting with magical energy and could have devoured the monster jar and become even more powerful. Maybe enough to try and escape.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Nuggan posted:

If magic comes from pain, we're all magicians today.

gently caress you now I’m crying again

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, the author of the books Lev Grossman went on facebook today to explain that he understood why people are a little confused about the sort of things that the producers of the show were saying regarding Quentin's death. He said that they're not very good at talking to the press, and he was even confused by the things they've said.

But, he did go against what the producers have been saying, that they came up with the idea to kill off Quentin, and went to Jason Ralph at the end of last season to bring the idea to him.

He wouldn't go into detail because he wanted to allow Jason to be allowed to share his story, but apparently Quentin was killed off because Jason Ralph wanted off the show.

Which, I respect. I still think that they could have handled the Quentin-Eliot-Alice love triangle better.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It's an SA thread about a tv show so i'm sure everyone here loving hates the show they post about, but i finally watched it after Shakezula pestered me enough and GOD drat what a fantastic show. Binged all 4 seasons in a few weeks and it just got better with every season. The overall plot of season 4 may not have been the most interesting of them, but the character work was fantastic. A lot of shows try to get the comedy and heartfelt stuff at the same time and fail, but these writers do it great. And yeah you can pick apart plot points, but they also have to fight against the fact that superhero/magic shows have a hard time keeping things reasonable over seasons of time.

Ok back to crying.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
We love the show here! We're still crying too.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tokubetsu posted:

We love the show here! We're still crying too.

I assume that's why the thread has been so dead. We all shorted out our keyboards with our tears.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Nihonniboku posted:

I assume that's why the thread has been so dead. We all shorted out our keyboards with our tears.

I know that's what happened with me.

But yeah, I think we (mostly) all really do love the show. I've been taking the last few weeks to kind of digest and pay attention to the community's reaction to things, and I won't get into it deeply because some of it makes me mad, but I can say I go back every couple of days and watch the Take on Me sequence on Youtube to be reminded what good acting is for my own work.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Ok that's good to hear. Most TVIV threads are a shitshow so you can never be sure. It will be very interesting to see what direction the show takes after losing the main character.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Eltoasto posted:

Ok that's good to hear. Most TVIV threads are a shitshow so you can never be sure. It will be very interesting to see what direction the show takes after losing the main character.

Now it’s Todd’s time to shine.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I mean Penny-40 even straight up said in that episode in the middle of the season that Quinton wasn't the main character, and there were plenty of characters doing interesting things. If that wasn't lampshading the ending then I don't know what is :science:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah one of the beauties of this show is that the whole cast is kind of main characters in their own right, even if Q was intended to be at first.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Knowing the source material, I know it wasn't necessarily their original intent when they started the series, but I think the show is so, so much better for having set Q as the main protag if only so part of his journey could end up with him learning to accept that it isn't the case, and that that's okay.

I have a buddy who I'm convincing to watch the show with me. I'm so excited.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm catching up on the latest season and just hit this and laughed so hard I had to take a screenshot and post for my own posterity.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Finally finished the season. I honestly thought it wrapped up so tightly (as compared to other seasons) that it was the series finale. I cried like a baby. I hated that they went full musical but it just made me cry more so I guess mission accomplished.

So funny how there are so many shows where the jokey suggestion is "I wish they'd just kill off the main character and keep going" (Expanse, Orville, Discovery) and in this one they actually did it and the actor even said they're leaving the show... and they did this just as you came to like him because he stopped being such a poo poo. loving props to that actor for nailing it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
For everyone who was looking for a clean (no dialogue, etc.) version of Elliot's "Don't Get Me Wrong," this one isn't official but it's the cleanest I've heard https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NkT6hrLASFc

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

FISH MAGICS

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I played beat saber at a friends house and they put on Take On Me and man that was an awkward conversation

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

For everyone who was looking for a clean (no dialogue, etc.) version of Elliot's "Don't Get Me Wrong," this one isn't official but it's the cleanest I've heard https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NkT6hrLASFc

This is great, but this show really needs an official soundtrack now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The cast has reported for work on the new season!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

The cast has reported for work on the new season!

About fuckin time. Slackers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Brittany Curran posts about the show so much. She is a pro follow on Instagram.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hope Jewel Staite is more of a regular in the new season.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
A mate knows I low-key like Harry Potter a lot, he put the first 2 episodes of this on when we were high and I was only half watching but it seemed pretty good? The dude getting sucked in because he was a big fan of the Narnia books and that then being the basis for a mystery story/wider plot seems like a really good conceit, but none of the cast seemed to know what they were doing at all and I kind of dislike all of them except the tall camp guy and the posh english deans assistant that I assume is one of the kids that went to Narnia?

If I'm looking for a laptop-on-the-bed-before-sleeping show is this worth giving a go? Main thing is do the actors get told who the characters they're playing are at some point.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

A mate knows I low-key like Harry Potter a lot, he put the first 2 episodes of this on when we were high and I was only half watching but it seemed pretty good? The dude getting sucked in because he was a big fan of the Narnia books and that then being the basis for a mystery story/wider plot seems like a really good conceit, but none of the cast seemed to know what they were doing at all and I kind of dislike all of them except the tall camp guy and the posh english deans assistant that I assume is one of the kids that went to Narnia?

If I'm looking for a laptop-on-the-bed-before-sleeping show is this worth giving a go? Main thing is do the actors get told who the characters they're playing are at some point.

my recollection is that over the course of the first season it went from "okay" to "actually this is pretty good?" and then after that it's legit good

all the characterization definitely gets a lot better

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Vitamin P posted:

The show is incredible, stick with it past the first season and you'll thank us later. They all really grow into their characters, the writing gets better, EVERYTHING gets better. It should not be this good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Season one is bad. It improves dramatically after that. Unfortunately you kind of have to watch season one to know what's happening and who everyone is, but it's worth it for how good the show does get later on.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Season one is bad. It improves dramatically after that. Unfortunately you kind of have to watch season one to know what's happening and who everyone is, but it's worth it for how good the show does get later on.

Honestly for me it wasn't the entire first season, just the first few episodes that were "ok" but didn't super hook me. After that it was great. Season 2 was only a couple episodes in by then, I caught up then started the books.

Edit: After looking I guess it was probably episode 5-7.

ClassH fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 12, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Season 1 starts soft and ends with a bang. Season 2 on is quality as gently caress.

Margolem.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Yeah I wouldn't call the first season bad or the acting bad it's just most of the characters are assholes and slowly grow into likeable assholes and then oh god plz don't let anything happen to my faves.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The show is very much about lovely know it alls growing into adults. It’s not that the show is ever bad it’s that the characters are insufferable and that is the point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Trevor Hale posted:

The show is very much about lovely know it alls growing into adults. It’s not that the show is ever bad it’s that the characters are insufferable and that is the point.

You fuckin take that back.

Josh is NEVER insufferable.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Josh is wonderful

Todd on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Rhyno posted:

You fuckin take that back.

He's also in like two scenes in season 1.