Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Nothing like receiving the e-mail from opposing counsel on a Saturday that his client's elected to proceed pro per at trial Monday. This is going to be a goddamn poo poo show.

Eminent Domain fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’m drafting an appellate brief right now as well.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

joat mon posted:

Staring at the genitalia of a so very naked doughy middle aged white collar guy for two minutes. I think this is a clear breach of some protocol but maybe it was a lonely groin muscle or something. Either way it's creepy as hell.

I picked the wrong time to remember this place exists. Wtf, guys?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Don't Be A Lawyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsxgXgo7ipQ

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ActusRhesus posted:

Apparently it's a part of Toona's gym schedule.

Do you think Mr. Nice should give the JAGC a shot? I say yes, but my JA experience is now old enough to vote and wondered what your answer would be.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Obviously written by an actual former lawyer because its too accurate.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

joat mon posted:

Apparently it's a part of Toona's gym schedule.

Do you think Mr. Nice should give the JAGC a shot? I say yes, but my JA experience is now old enough to vote and wondered what your answer would be.

Navy jag is on the short list of things to do. Next board isn’t until after february next year, so I have time. JAG is my baseline. If I’m accepted and cannot find something civilian side that pays as well, I’ll put the uniform back on next year.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

Getting caught back up?? That was like 20 pages ag

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
reeses has to start from the beginning because she doesn't want to risk missing a single SV post, and i dont blame her tbqh

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

reeses has to start from the beginning because she doesn't want to risk missing a single SV post, and i dont blame her tbqh

Maybe she's doing a podcast that's just dramatic reading of all of toonas posts.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Mr. Nice! posted:

Navy jag is on the short list of things to do. Next board isn’t until after february next year, so I have time. JAG is my baseline. If I’m accepted and cannot find something civilian side that pays as well, I’ll put the uniform back on next year.

Don’t. Navy jag leadership is poo poo right now and has been for a decade.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I am eagerly awaiting your triumphant announcement you finally banged Josie. It’s true.

blarzgh posted:

Maybe she's doing a podcast that's just dramatic reading of all of toonas posts.

That’s... actually not a bad idea.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

blarzgh posted:

To stretch it out, you'd need to have a one act play for each post.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

To stretch it out, you'd need to have a one act play for each post.

Now auditioning Morgan Freemanesque narrators.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ActusRhesus posted:

Don’t. Navy jag leadership is poo poo right now and has been for a decade.

I have no doubt that naval leadership in many places is ate up with terminal stupid, however:

I would start at around $71k in just base pay. I have not found anything in Florida period that’s going to pay me more than that. Toss in BAH and nothing has even been half as good as navy pay. Plus I’ll be 13 years from a pension

Going back into the military is my last option, but at the moment it is my highest paying option by a significant margin.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have no doubt that naval leadership in many places is ate up with terminal stupid, however:

I would start at around $71k in just base pay. I have not found anything in Florida period that’s going to pay me more than that. Toss in BAH and nothing has even been half as good as navy pay. Plus I’ll be 13 years from a pension

Going back into the military is my last option, but at the moment it is my highest paying option by a significant margin.

Yeah but Trump will be your commander-in-chief?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Speaking of, does anyone have a link to the trump complaint against the financial subpoena that was filed today? The snippets I've seen are hilarious.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I would wait tables at Applebee’s before returning to the navy jag corps. I am not kidding.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Man, that was a great easter break. So much sun and so much reading. Got a lot done if you don't count any actual work.

blarzgh posted:

Ok, so here is the list:
- The Black Company, by Glen Cook
- The Dresden Files books, by Jim Butcher
- The Paper Menagerie, by Ken Liu
- Uprooted, by Naomi Novik
- The Craft Sequence Archives, bu Max Gladstone
- The Divine Cities Series, by Robert Jackson Bennett
- The Broken Earth Trilogy, by NK Jemisin
- The Three Body Problem, Cixin Liu
- The Stormlight Archives, Brandon Sanderson

Prior Lists and Recommendations:
- Russo, Ship of Fools
- Children of Time, Adrian Tchaikovsky
- Blindsight, Peter Watts
- Red Rising Trilogy, Pierce Brown
- Forever War, Joe Haldeman
- Under the Banner of Heaven, Jon Krakauer [Non-fiction; Muder, History, Religion]
- Stories of Your Life and Others, Ted Chiang
- The Gameshouse, Claire North
- The First Fifteen Live of Harry August, Claire North (or whatever pseudonym she used)
- Old Man's War, John Scalzi (The rest of the series sucks)
- The Aubrey–Maturin series, Ptrick O'Brian
- Hull Zero Three, Greg Bear
- The Forge of God, Greg Bear
- Imperial Radch Series, Ann Leckie
- Hyperion, Dan Simmons (skip the sequels)
- Elantris, Brandon Sanderson

Got done with

joat mon posted:

And of you like O'Brien and Jim Butcher, there's Butcher's The Aeronaut's Windlass.

Don't forget Peter Watts' Rifters Trilogy (like Blindsight, also available free under a CC license)

And thanks for recommending it, though the trilogy is nowhere near as good as Blindsight's quality, it's still pretty good.

Also grabbed

Munin posted:

The Craft Sequence is solid. I like how it deals both with systems and the people said systems grind between their wheels; this without being as dehumanized and bleak as stuff by KJ Parker.

And I'm gonna start on that when I get some time, thanks very much.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have a link to the trump complaint against the financial subpoena that was filed today? The snippets I've seen are hilarious.

https://games-cdn.washingtonpost.co...450b.pdf#page=1

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
yeah that's a press release not a complaint lol

ActusRhesus posted:

I am eagerly awaiting your triumphant announcement you finally banged Josie. It’s true.
im waiting for dragon age VR edition

need to see them petticoats in 3D

blarzgh posted:

lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

yeah that's a press release not a complaint lol

its a complaint, just one to the five conservatives on the supreme court that they haven't changed the law yet

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

tyvm!

laffo, I could write better reasoned arguments

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Discendo Vox posted:

tyvm!

laffo, I could write better reasoned arguments

Congratulations, you have been accepted for a job in the Tmurp administration!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I really want to do that dramatic reading now. Goddamn you guys.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Mmmm exam season again. I feel like I've learned so much this semester, I hope the summer is equally as enlightening. Law school really is a great place to learn about yourself, society, and all of your new besties after college!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
:chloe:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Mmmm exam season again. I feel like I've learned so much this semester, I hope the summer is equally as enlightening. Law school really is a great place to learn about yourself, society, and all of your new besties after college!

It's all fun and games until you get the bill/class rank results come out.

I personally really liked a number of my professors, learned a lot (most of it impractical but hey learning is fun), and met my current partner in law school. I also struck out at OCI, failed to make the competition team I wanted to join, didn't make law review, and wanted to hurl the career advisors through a plate glass window.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I know I harped on it before and you had valid reasons for avoiding it, but if your situation has changed I strongly encourage you to look at federal work. Your military background gives you automatic hiring preference, which is a huge bump in an otherwise difficult hiring process. Pay is decent, hours are good, stress is relatively low, and your years in the military count toward pension retirement dates (I think).

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

incogneato posted:

I know I harped on it before and you had valid reasons for avoiding it, but if your situation has changed I strongly encourage you to look at federal work. Your military background gives you automatic hiring preference, which is a huge bump in an otherwise difficult hiring process. Pay is decent, hours are good, stress is relatively low, and your years in the military count toward pension retirement dates (I think).

I’m interested but haven’t found anything where I’m qualified. Most posts I’ve seen require 2-5 years practice where I’m not officially at a year yet, even. So I’ve got to build up my resume more.

Also most fed jobs mean I have to move to DC and I don’t know if I want to do that. I mean, i’ve only been there once and didn’t really experience anything more than a hotel and interviews with some engineers and an admiral.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mr. Nice, definitely check out the fedthread. I was recently clued into a GS-9 IRS job (closed now, I think, unfortunately) that's basically autoqualified if you have a JD. I also have learned a lot about navigating the USAJobs deathspace; if you need any advice on that, PM me.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

do they piss test you before you can become an IRS drone or is that just a DOJ thing

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
USAJobs application process; best case scenario (each dot = one month)

Apply to 10 jobs
Receive notice that you have been referred for 8/10 jobs, no word on the others (no word will ever come)
Rejected from job 3
Preliminary selection for job 6
Email to schedule interview for job 6
Phone interview
Second interview
Rejected from jobs 1 and 4
Child born
Preliminary offer for job 6
Counteroffer asking for better step in grade
Donald Trump elected
Counter agreed to, new prelim offer for job 6
Choose wisely

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

do they piss test you before you can become an IRS drone or is that just a DOJ thing

It’s been 9 years since I started but I think the answer is still no.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Discendo Vox posted:

Mr. Nice, definitely check out the fedthread. I was recently clued into a GS-9 IRS job (closed now, I think, unfortunately) that's basically autoqualified if you have a JD. I also have learned a lot about navigating the USAJobs deathspace; if you need any advice on that, PM me.

Unrelated but why are you spending so much time trying to explain international commercial arbitration to the idiots in the scotus thread?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Which one, the paralegal one?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

EwokEntourage posted:

Unrelated but why are you spending so much time trying to explain international commercial arbitration to the idiots in the scotus thread?

Everyone has to have a hobby and this is easier than writeups of why X lovely pseudodrugwoo is pseudodrugwoo in the other thread?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

EwokEntourage posted:

I learned a bit (though not a lot) in that area because I part time consult with a startup in that space. I generally think SA is at its best when people are sharing their knowledge, whether for information or comedy purposes.

Also I have a self-destructive irrational belief borne of childhood trauma that everything that goes wrong in the world is my fault, so if I don’t correct people on dead comedy fora I’m a bad person

sullat posted:

Which one, the paralegal one?

TCO. Gotta take what I can get and it really does seem to be an automatic qualify. I’m taking phase 3 tests now.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Discendo Vox posted:

Also I have a self-destructive irrational belief borne of childhood trauma that everything that goes wrong in the world is my fault, so if I don’t correct people on dead comedy fora I’m a bad person.

:hfive:

In other news I've found someone to move my admission, after officially unasking the person I first asked due to a bunch of e/n bullshit. Gonna be real awkward if my new mover winds up with interstate work commitments and can't do it!