Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Jeez this thread is harsh. Scrubs is fine. The characters in all sitcoms are supposed to be terrible people. Scrubs just manages to do that exceptionally well.

If you accept the fact you should not aspire to be like any of these people, then it’s okay. The problem is ‘nice guys’ who identify with J.D. and type A personalities who want to be like Cox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I identify with Charlie from always sunny

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I identify with Charlie from always sunny

Yeah I'm also mentally handicapped

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Krispy Wafer posted:

Jeez this thread is harsh. Scrubs is fine. The characters in all sitcoms are supposed to be terrible people. Scrubs just manages to do that exceptionally well.

If you accept the fact you should not aspire to be like any of these people, then it’s okay. The problem is ‘nice guys’ who identify with J.D. and type A personalities who want to be like Cox.

I know better than to trust a goon's opinion, even if the goon agrees with me.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ante posted:

Thinking about getting into Scrubs

it’s only going to get worse, just see

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People think Scrubs refers to the attire worn by hospital workers but it’s called that because all the male characters are in fact scrubs

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

oldpainless posted:

People think Scrubs refers to the attire worn by hospital workers but it’s called that because all the male characters are in fact scrubs

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Scrubs is actually great, watch the first seven seasons.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like when the Janitor is mean.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Ambitious Spider posted:

I vaguely remember an episode of scrubs where they're on call and their college buddy is in town, and they're like "we can't drink" and he's like "I'm only in for one night come drink!" So they do, and they get called in but they're wasted and get in trouble. And they yell at him, and he's like "well shouldn't have gone out drinking if you had work!"

And they're like he's right...and they shouldn't have, but also maybe don't peer pressure your friends after they tell you that?

Was that Ryan Reynolds? Either way, I remember it more clearly than I should. He was like “Do you think I’d have gone out drinking if I had a big presentation the next morning? No, because I’m an adult. You guys suck.”

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Brendan Fraser maybe?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sid Vicious posted:

Brendan Fraser maybe?

Nah he was the cool brother in law who died of cancer

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Yeah, it was Ryan Reynolds. Thanks, google.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i'm tired of shows about terrible people. i'm far from a pollyanna but i just want a cool nice character being cool and nice. it's said that writing that sort of thing is harder, but nobody really tries? it's not like you can't have conflict or flawed characters, just make your main characters not be hideous douches we're expected to like

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Is it that you can’t think of any shows like that you enjoy? or do you just wish there were more in general?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i'm tired of shows about terrible people. i'm far from a pollyanna but i just want a cool nice character being cool and nice. it's said that writing that sort of thing is harder, but nobody really tries? it's not like you can't have conflict or flawed characters, just make your main characters not be hideous douches we're expected to like

I mean, have you met people? Terrible is par for the course.

Brooklyn 99 is a good time. Only one irredeemably horrible character.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Or you could just be an rear end in a top hat so the shows are more relatable

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Volcott posted:

Yeah, exactly. I don’t want to watch a show about awful people interacting with each other for the same reason I wouldn’t want to watch a show about someone brushing their teeth: I already see that poo poo every single day.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Crazy Ex Girlfriend starts with a character doing not good or wise things but digs into her motivations and issues, and it’s very empathetic. All of it is on Netflix now, it’s four seasons and worth the ride.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Ariong posted:

Yeah, exactly. I don’t want to watch a show about awful people interacting with each other for the same reason I wouldn’t want to watch a show about someone brushing their teeth: I already see that poo poo every single day.

Sounds like you need the joy of painting.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Crazy Ex Girlfriend starts with a character doing not good or wise things but digs into her motivations and issues, and it’s very empathetic. All of it is on Netflix now, it’s four seasons and worth the ride.

Seconded.Its a brilliant and realistic portrayal of mental illness and for the most part characters get called out and face consequences. Even if you don’t like musicals check it out because they grow on you by virtue of being hilarious.

Also RIP Nipsey Hussle who has a cameo In the first episode.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I am having a difficult time thinking of any sitcom or comedy show character who isn't someone you would avoid in real life. Part of the comedy equation is the person has to make terrible decisions and be in continuous conflict with other characters. A really nice and generous person is boring.

I guess Phoebe from Friends would qualify, but she is offset by literally everyone else on the show.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The 2000's had character that sucked even though in general times where moving forward,
the 2010's sucked a lot and we need overly happy/optimistic people being able to deal with all the poo poo going on.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
there's territory in between a story about a flawless person who never has anything go wrong for them and seinfeld/it's always sunny "lol isnt it funny what terrible people they are??"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I am having a difficult time thinking of any sitcom or comedy show character who isn't someone you would avoid in real life. Part of the comedy equation is the person has to make terrible decisions and be in continuous conflict with other characters. A really nice and generous person is boring.

I guess Phoebe from Friends would qualify, but she is offset by literally everyone else on the show.

I think you’re confusing “terrible” and “flawed.” Yes, a character does need to have flaws in order to be interesting. However, “is an rear end in a top hat” doesn’t have to be one of those flaws. A person can be imperfect and make bad decisions while still being kind and caring

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Volcott posted:

Brooklyn 99 is a good time. Only one irredeemably horrible character.

Yeah, B99 was what I was thinking of. All the characters you're meant to like as people are good, generally cool people, and all the people you're not meant to like as people are Hitchcock.

Gina's a bit of a contentious subject of a character, but the show's level-headed about her, calling her out when she's being a jerk and giving her due credit when she does good, all of it to about the right level. The show around a jerk character treating them like they actually are a jerk helps things go down way easier.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Krispy Wafer posted:

• Red Forman
  • Uncle Phil
  • All of the Golden Girls
  • Dan Connor
  • Mac Robinson
  • Terry Jeffords

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, B99 was what I was thinking of. All the characters you're meant to like as people are good, generally cool people, and all the people you're not meant to like as people are Hitchcock.

Gina's a bit of a contentious subject of a character, but the show's level-headed about her, calling her out when she's being a jerk and giving her due credit when she does good, all of it to about the right level. The show around a jerk character treating them like they actually are a jerk helps things go down way easier.

There was an episode of Lucifer where Chelsea Peretti plays a young woman who dies and becomes a vessel for Abel (the biblical dude) to come back to life in, and at the very end she gets hit by a bus in the exact same way Gina did in B99. It took me like three episodes to realize that wasnt them doing the same joke, that was supposed to be serious and Abel was actually dead again.

Also Chelsea Peretti is a loving champ and absolutely nailed the "ancient boozing womanizer man" character god drat

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Krispy Wafer posted:

Most of the ones from Cheers.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I’d hang out with the characters from Family Ties.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

burial posted:

I’d hang out with the characters from Family Ties.

Same but only Boner

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

I think you’re confusing “terrible” and “flawed.” Yes, a character does need to have flaws in order to be interesting. However, “is an rear end in a top hat” doesn’t have to be one of those flaws. A person can be imperfect and make bad decisions while still being kind and caring

I think the problem is, to have an interesting show week after week season after season you can't learn from your mistakes. TV characters are relatively two dimensional so their flaws become their personalities. They have to keep making the same mistakes for laughs. Very few comedy shows have decent character arcs where they become better people. Sure, that's not common in real life too, but you don't usually find 5 close friends to keep hanging around you while you keep making the same bad decisions over and over again.

Toshimo posted:

• Red Forman
  • Uncle Phil
  • Dan Connor
  • Mac Robinson
  • Terry Jeffords

That's a good list.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Most of the ones from Cheers.

Norm was a terrible husband. Cliff irritated the poo poo out of everyone. Fraiser was a pompous rear end in a top hat. Sam was a sexual predator. Carla was a saint.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Toshimo posted:

Same but only Boner

That was Growing Pains, you mad fool. :colbert:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Toshimo posted:

Sophia was completely mean-spirited and a bully
Rose was a literal idiot
Blanche was a sex-maniac and a homophobe

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

it seems like you're looking for a quaint 80s sitcom here and, ironically, it sounds like the character you want is cliff huxtable

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Norm was a terrible husband. Cliff irritated the poo poo out of everyone. Fraiser was a pompous rear end in a top hat. Sam was a sexual predator. Carla was a saint.

Wait, what?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

hard counter posted:

it seems like you're looking for a quaint 80s sitcom here and, ironically, it sounds like the character you want is cliff huxtable

i'm really not tho

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

Wait, what?

Sober guy picks up drunk women? idk

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

Sophia was completely mean-spirited and a bully
Rose was a literal idiot
Blanche was a sex-maniac and a homophobe

there's nothing wrong with being an idiot or a sex maniac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

As long as it's consensual sex mania, go for it.