Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My parents and I had a huge fight in our Airbnb so I’ve been there buddy.

Edit: Tourist hanko it is!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

peanut posted:

My dad has visited me in Japan 4 times and has still never used a washlet or public bath because ??? He's not quite as bad as those guys who don't wipe because touching (their own) man's butthole is gay, but… kinda…

wait, what?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
wait how the gently caress did i miss that post

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
drat and I thought I went through some poo poo..

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pththya-lyi posted:

I discussed installing a washlet in my bathroom with Dad and he said it would lower the property value of my house

America :rolleyes:

If he moved out I’m sure the values would go higher

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

mikeycp posted:

the main issue with buying us toto washlets that as far as i can tell they only have the expensive models here

it was still over $100 less to buy the cheapest toshiba one and have it shipped back than to buy the cheapest domestically available one

There are cheaper mechanical ones or get a Korean or chinese washlet

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

caberham posted:

well i didn't look into that and i'm happy with my toshiba butt cleaner

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikeycp posted:

so looks like we're doing nov 8-13 in kansai (undecided if base camp will be kyoto or osaka), 14-16 on the kumano kodo, shink to onomichi on the 16th, shimanami kaido on the 17th, and shikoku until the 23rd when we have to get back to osaka to get to kix on the 24th

unless it would be easy to get from shikoku to kix by 530 pm on the day of our flight?

You can take a bus in the morning and get there in plenty of time for a 5:30 flight. It will be 3-4 hours depending on where you depart from.

Edit: Actually there is plenty of time to take a train, too, but since that involves at least 3 transfers depending on where you start from, I recommend the bus for ease and convenience and price.

LyonsLions fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 21, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mods rename me おいおいビル食大祭 because that’s what we do every fuckin night

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 21, 2019

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Pollyanna posted:

My parents and I had a huge fight in our Airbnb so I’ve been there buddy.

Edit: Tourist hanko it is!

Remember, it starts with は not ま! :eng101:

caberham posted:

I wanted a Toto, but they didn't fit our toilet, so I got a BioBidet. It's pretty great, and was quite a bit cheaper than the Toto.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

mikeycp posted:

unless it would be easy to get from shikoku to kix by 530 pm on the day of our flight?

Get a hotel in Osaka (and go to spa world?)

Hankos: just order one at a local shop in the morning and pick it up in the evening. I am happy to help with legit katakana or even kanji for your names, just ask. Budget 5000 for a good plain hanko.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Need some input on my Hokkaido 7-day itinerary. It's just me and I'm super-flexible about my schedule but I still want some resemblance of a plan (since my first Tokyo trip ended with me not knowing what to do with my last day in there).

Day 0 (Arrival, Saturday):
- Arrive at New Chitose Airport, about noon. Go straight to my hotel in Sapporo not far from the station.
- Check in, freshen up, immediately go for Sakurajima Ramen near Hassamuminami Station (my friends loved the joint) for early dinner
- Head for Mount Moiwa to catch the sunset and enjoy the night view
- Come back down, try some Book-Offs to see if they got any Gameboy Colors for sale. Just explore and chill while I return to the hotel.

Day 1 (Sapporo):
- Have seafood at Nijo market for breakfast
- Walk along Odori park, then head for Maruyama Zoo <-- Not sure how bad it'll be on a Sunday
- Maybe check out the ski jump stadium nearby?
- Visit the Shiroi Koibito Park
- Go over to Zenibako and have a nice cup of coffee in a cafe by the coastline.
- Return to Sapporo and check out some arcades. Big fan of UFO catchers and retro games.

Day 2 (Biei):
- Wake up at like 6am, use my Hokkaido rail pass to get there
- Rent an electric bike and use it to tour everything: Patchwork no Machi, Blue Poind, Shirahige Waterfall etc.
- Go back to the hotel and drop dead

Day 3 (Ashikawa):
- Again, wake up at like 6 am.
- Start from Ueno Farm, then head to Ashiyama Zoo and the nearby park
- Eat at Asahikawa Ramen Village
- Check out Round One Stadium (I told you I liked arcades)
- Look at Ashibashi Bridge maybe??? I'm a bit thin on ideas for this one

Day 4 (Hakodate):
- SIX A M
- Check out the Red Brick Warehouse
- Go up Mount Hakodate via the ropeway
- Come back and down get more coffee at a nice seaside cafe
- Visit the star-shaped island thing

Day 5 (Otaru half-way, more Sapporo):
- Visit the aquarium, go up the observation deck
- ?????
- Go back to Sapporo and i ran out of ideas

Day 6 (Sapporo and / or easily accessible nearby areas)
- I DON'T KNOW

Day 7:
- Fly back home

So yeah, I kinda ran out of ideas for the ending bit, but I might've packed the front end a bit too much so I could always spread that out into the end instead. Suggestions welcome.

Also good places to eat, if you have any.

Edit: Goddamn tab key

Reallycoolname fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 21, 2019

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Reallycoolname posted:

Day 0 (Arrival, Saturday):
- Arrive at New Chitose Airport, about noon. Go straight to my hotel in Sapporo not far from the station.

New Chitose is a pretty awesome airport, I'd recommend you stop at Ebisoba ramen before you leave. http://www.new-chitose-airport.jp/en/spend/shop/s146.html . Egg tarts (forget the name of store) are quite unreal too and would recommend you pick some up. I think they have a store in Sapporo maybe?

Are you able to do car rental? Hokkaido is very much a car place and I feel like you'll miss a lot without one.

paberu fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 21, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

There's a really good onigiri shop in shinchitose and have you considered eating genghiskhan mutton bbq in sapporo? I think one of the main ones is called Daruma.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

peanut posted:

Get a hotel in Osaka (and go to spa world?)

will do, both

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

speaking of toto stuff, I had my friend order me one of these on amazon prime while I was staying at his place last month:

I get back to america and it turns out there are different toilet paper standards because american rolls don't fit right lmao :suicide:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Magna Kaser posted:

wait, what?

http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2017/10/13/dudes-too-macho-to-use-toilet-paper-is-apparently-a-thing/

Nothing's ever getting in between my asscheeks. I ain't no queer!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Reallycoolname posted:

Need some input on my Hokkaido 7-day itinerary. It's just me and I'm super-flexible about my schedule but I still want some resemblance of a plan (since my first Tokyo trip ended with me not knowing what to do with my last day in there).

Exactly when are you going? this is important.

Skip Maruyama Zoo. Where is your hometown? Using that, I can tell you if you should skip Asahikawa Zoo as well.

Go to the Hakodate morning market. It is infinitely better than Sapporo's nijo market, where you will be scammed.

The Hakodate ropeway is crowded as hell with Chinese people.

I hope that you are aware that Biei to Hakodate is 5 hours by car, like 7 hours by public transportation.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

ntan1 posted:

Japan is crowded as hell with Chinese people.

The sooner you get used to it the better; barring some sort of travel ban, they're not going away. Every secret Chinese-free spot you have now will be overrun with them within the next couple years.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

all the more reason to go as rural as possible imo

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It’s a little early for 8500 yen inclusive flight from PVG - KIX is nice

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

zmcnulty posted:

The sooner you get used to it the better; barring some sort of travel ban, they're not going away. Every secret Chinese-free spot you have now will be overrun with them within the next couple years.

Indeed,

PS: With the hakodate view, the serious photographers are going to be on a platform slightly down from the main platform, where it's not possible to take any photos. Basically follow the path downwards form the mountain, and you should be able to see it. Has even a better view and much more space/fewer people around that area.

You can even walk down instead of taking the gondola.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

What is the Chinese package tour obsession? I went in broiling August but still, it was never that bad. Places were crowded, but with your regular tourist mix not the mainland boogeyman fresh from selling ancestral land to a car park developer.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

when I was in shinsekai standing somewhere checking my phone a chinese woman had her toddler stand next to me to take a photo (without asking). I prevented not to notice to avoid any face loss

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Strategic Tea posted:

What is the Chinese package tour obsession? I went in broiling August but still, it was never that bad. Places were crowded, but with your regular tourist mix not the mainland boogeyman fresh from selling ancestral land to a car park developer.

August isn't the worst time. Two weeks for Chinese New Year or the National Day holiday the first week of October are the vacation periods basically everyone in the country has off.

d0s posted:

when I was in shinsekai standing somewhere checking my phone a chinese woman had her toddler stand next to me to take a photo (without asking). I prevented not to notice to avoid any face loss

The only hope for it stopping is to call them out when they do this poo poo. Shame them. I never yelled at Chinese people more than when they were being lovely tourists in other parts of Asia.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I haven’t been in kansai for 4 years and I when I land I have to walk from the tarmac into the gate.

Holy poo poo kansai is already so ghetto

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
On this last trip I saw a lot more package tours from Southeast Asia around Kyoto. Thais and maybe Cambodians or Burmese? I'm not too good at picking out those languages. I saw the flags from far away and was like "oh no, mainlanders" and then I had to eat my hat when I got within earshot. That wasn't Mandarin.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yeah south East Asian folks have more money and japan is getting more affordable.

You can tell them apart because they over dress in a bajillion layers

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lots of Chinese, Koreans, and assorted Asians here, especially in Kyoto.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i extremely don't see the appeal of package tours
that's like the polar opposite of how i want to spend a foreign vacation

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
A package tour can have some value.

A lot of them include a 1 day tour, and discount the flight as well as the hotel significantly, and you can tell the person on the one day tour you are not going to show up.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Lots of Chinese, Koreans, and assorted Asians here, especially in Kyoto.

Hey I’m here too!

I’m here until Friday wanna meet up tonight or Wednesday for dinner

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

My dad has visited me in Japan 4 times and has still never used a washlet or public bath because ??? He's not quite as bad as those guys who don't wipe because touching (their own) man's butthole is gay, but… kinda…

My father in law loves to poop and bidet spray at the same time.

He’s also a big guy 6”1 so he expunged a lot of mass. Cleaning the toilet was not fun

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

speaking of packages, we're doing this kumano kodo itinerary https://www.kumano-travel.com/en/model-itineraries/3-days-E1-kumano-kodo-highlight-walk-nakahechi

if anybody has recommendations for things to do or eat, or places to stay i'm all ears

or recs on which leg of the trip to splurge on a ryokan for

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

mikeycp posted:

or recs on which leg of the trip to splurge on a ryokan for

none.

If you are ok with it, stay in Minshuku in all places in that area.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

ntan1 posted:

none.

If you are ok with it, stay in Minshuku in all places in that area.

saving that money is fine by me. the minshuku looked more appealing anyway

e: any ryokan (that won't put me in the poorhouse) in shikoku worth it? p sure the gf would like to stay at one this trip at some point

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 22, 2019

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I stayed in an old merchant house I kotohira. Kotohira hidan was it called? Not the cheapest but I get a giant rear end house to my own and a time slot for a private bath looking from the mountain

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Radium :argh:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Package tours are a super Asian thing I guess. When I lived in Hangzhou I would see tons of Korean and Japanese package tour groups going around with their matching hats. I saw a couple Korean ones when I was in Sapporo during the winter as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's no way to create reservations from the Tabelog site, right? Or am I just missing a crucial link somewhere.

I know the app allows it, but it's also a little too Japanese for my ability right now.