Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Darox posted:

Try using your shadowy black dash on the shadowy black walls.

Oh gently caress me. It's late enough into the evening that I'm passed the "can reasonably play video games" part of my day.

Thanks!

I guess I didn't get this dash upgrade when I played this last year. I must have only circumvented the wall in Fog Canyon after which my memory played a trick on me.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

I found upgrades for my dash and abyss shriek, but nothing to deal with the walls.

You, uh, can't get out of that room without using your upgrade to circumvent the black walks.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

You, uh, can't get out of that room without using your upgrade to circumvent the black walks.

You have to use it to get passed the grabby arms coming out of the black goo, not black walls.

:goonsay:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Phobophilia posted:

I have never used gathering swarm even once.

I only used it when I farmed a bit of money in the end game to upgrade my fragile charms

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Can you beat the game without all the upgrades? I’m assuming it’s possible but how few can you get away with?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Probably depends if you mean radiance or holler knight. I beat radiance without poison swim so at least that's possible.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You definitely need dash, fireball, and mantis claw to beat the game. You also need either crystal dash or Isma’s tear to get to Monomon, unless you want to glitch-fly through the archive (any% speedruns do this). Everything else is technically optional I think, though Deepnest without the lantern would take a lot of practice.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
If you look up the Any% speedrun, they pretty much only get the dream nail, wall jump and crystal dash in terms of progression items. Just about anything else you can avoid, through use of pogoing.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just finished this at 83%. What a game. I'm sure there's still a pile of stuff for me to do. I'm turn between hunting it down on my own or looking up what I missed.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Holy poo poo I beat the Radiance.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

I just finished this at 83%. What a game. I'm sure there's still a pile of stuff for me to do. I'm turn between hunting it down on my own or looking up what I missed.

I'd definitely suggest scouring the map on your own. Use markers for any points you still can't get past (although if you've got the good ending you probably have all the movement tools) and investigate every part of the map you still haven't covered. Only look stuff up once you are genuinely stuck for where to find that last mask fragment or whatever.
The exploration and discovery is just so much fun.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I'd personally have no beef with looking up the DLC stuff if you get stuck, it's REALLY out of the way.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Chieves posted:

I'd personally have no beef with looking up the DLC stuff if you get stuck, it's REALLY out of the way.

This is what I think I'm going to do. I want to see and do what the gams has to offer, but I can't be bothered with obscurity.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chieves posted:

Yeah on my first playthrough I felt that if I just explored everything and just filled all the gaps in the maps I would end up finding everything.

Nope. Turns out there’s an insane amount of poo poo perfect hidden behind breakable walls and unmarked poo poo.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/hmh_szns/status/1119570352865042433?s=21

https://twitter.com/littleborealis/status/1118554661433122816?s=21

So much good HK stuff out there

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does dream Zote's attacks have some of the worst hit detection or am I extra bad? This flailing back and forth attack hits me every time and it seems like I'm far out of it's range.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Finished the game finally. Don’t think I’ll go back for the true ending but it’s a testament to how good it was cause I usually bounce off hard games. Only real knock against it was the bosses had way too much health.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

Finished the game finally. Don’t think I’ll go back for the true ending but it’s a testament to how good it was cause I usually bounce off hard games. Only real knock against it was the bosses had way too much health.

I recently finished too and am wandering about. Bosses are my only complaint too. I think it's too hard to predict their attacks. Every boss has a handful of sounds before their attacks but the sounds rarely telegraph what's about to happen. Few attacks seem to have a visual clue too.

I think the fights would be more fun if predicting attacks was easier. It'd let the player be more aggressive, rather than keeping distance and smacking the boss when they rush past you. At least that's how I've been crushing every boss.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To a certain extent I felt I could tank a lot of the harder bosses, and simply outlast them rather than have to nail down ALL their patterns. This is also why the pantheons are giving me a lot more trouble because you have to make it last through several rounds.

But there are definitely some like NKG that require you to gain muscle memory for each of their tells and it's like riding a bicycle after a point.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea, like I killed traitor lord a few days ago and really the only thing I could do was sharp shadow and whack him a couple times while the other dude did the work. That’s not super engaging to me and it took forever. Some sort of counter system would have been cool. And a lot of strats you look up online is just get the right badges and face tank it till you kill them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Hollow Knight has extremely short and unforgiving tells (even compared to something like e.g. Dark Souls) but it does have them, most of the time, and you will notice when a boss doesn't -- the really hard ones still do, it's the incredibly annoying ones that don't, or have a tell that can lead into one of several attacks.

(Broken Vessel / Lost Kin are probably the worst about this, they tense up and there's a sound before they rush but it's incredibly hard to predict their range and trajectory.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would probably say that Traitor Lord, Lost Kin, Soul Tyrant, and the 4th Grey Prince Zote fight were the hardest/most annoying in the game. The rest I was generally able to either tank or learn their patterns well enough.

Don't forget that you can make the fragile charms unbreakable with the Grimm Troupe DLC (mostly just the nail power up one).

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea, like I killed traitor lord a few days ago and really the only thing I could do was sharp shadow and whack him a couple times while the other dude did the work. That’s not super engaging to me and it took forever. Some sort of counter system would have been cool. And a lot of strats you look up online is just get the right badges and face tank it till you kill them.

By the time I beat the Pantheon of Hallownest, I could kill Traitor lord without taking damage, and with Traitor lord only getting a single attack. The cues exist, they are just super short and unforgiving.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Wildtortilla posted:

Does dream Zote's attacks have some of the worst hit detection or am I extra bad? This flailing back and forth attack hits me every time and it seems like I'm far out of it's range.

He's mostly just unpredictable. I heard it put really well in a video I watched - he has the ability to make you feel you're bad at fighting him because he's essentially kicking your rear end by doing nothing but just relentlessly loving up at everything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Dream Zote being a lovely boss with poor tells and hithoxes that don't match their sprites is a feature, not a bug. :v:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Next up in lovely bosses: failed champion.

Unpredictable behavior, constant environmental hazards, over sized enemy.

I think if the remaining content is frustrating bosses I'm going to cut it early before I end up hating this game. 😟

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

I think if the remaining content is frustrating bosses I'm going to cut it early before I end up hating this game. 😟

You need to cut it early.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I would probably say that Traitor Lord, Lost Kin, Soul Tyrant, and the 4th Grey Prince Zote fight were the hardest/most annoying in the game. The rest I was generally able to either tank or learn their patterns well enough.

Don't forget that you can make the fragile charms unbreakable with the Grimm Troupe DLC (mostly just the nail power up one).

Lost Kin at least has a hard counter: smelling like farts

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Well I took down that dumb Knight and with his essence I have a fully awoken dream nail. I immediately found my way into the White Palace. If my understanding is correct this is all platforming? Are there items to be found in here?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There are a couple hidden areas with some extra background, but no items.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, there is technically an item you get for completing the 'main' White Palace section.

E: Failed Champion was a fight where IIRC I learned to lean on my spells a bit more than usual, because I sure as heck probably wasn't healing. Also for a lot of those dream fights if you feel you can't heal, might as well go all in on Joni's Blessing and the like. Fragile charms also don't break while in the dream world.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 22, 2019

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

This is the conclusion I've reached. I've got pretty much all the map explored, I've completed the game with the bog standard ending, killed all (or most of) the dream bosses and got all but one of the charms, all the health&nail upgrades and all but one of the charm slots. All that is left is hard boss runs and the white palace which I can't be bothered with. I know I could do it all if I sat there for another ten or twenty hours beating my head against it but I simply can't be bothered. I'm leaving the game on a high note and for me that's the right decision.

Bring on Silksong. I just want new terrain and gameplay mechanics to explore, not repeatedly running the same fight over and over, getting slightly better at it each time, until my tired and aging muscle memory contorts itself into the configuration it needs to assume in order to be able to deliver the patterns of inputs needed for the arbitrary number of times it takes to reduce a boss's health bar to zero. All so that I can repeat that learning process for the next boss - without even a break in between if I'm doing the latest DLC.

I don't mind doing that for the reward of whole new areas to explore or whole new abilities that change the way my character moves or fights. Beating Soul Eater was probably my high point of the game because of what it meant in terms of the game opening up more, combined with how hard I found that fight and the fact it took me a couple of hours and about ten or more tries to beat it. That was loving satisfying, doing it for a reason.

But doing bosses for doing bosses sake? Nah, that's just not for me anymore. I've nothing to prove to myself. I'm glad it's in the game though, for those that like that kind of challenge. And I include my younger past self in that group.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I'm more interested in challenges like the hall of pain over a 30+ minute boss rush.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I kinda wish you could just teleport to any bench.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the boss rush is mainly there for those who want that sort of thing. there's a reason why basically nothing is stuck behind it other than accomplishing it.

i just want a silksong release date already

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wildtortilla posted:

Failed Champion is the third best boss in the base game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cactus posted:

This is the conclusion I've reached. I've got pretty much all the map explored, I've completed the game with the bog standard ending, killed all (or most of) the dream bosses and got all but one of the charms, all the health&nail upgrades and all but one of the charm slots. All that is left is hard boss runs and the white palace which I can't be bothered with. I know I could do it all if I sat there for another ten or twenty hours beating my head against it but I simply can't be bothered. I'm leaving the game on a high note and for me that's the right decision.

Bring on Silksong. I just want new terrain and gameplay mechanics to explore, not repeatedly running the same fight over and over, getting slightly better at it each time, until my tired and aging muscle memory contorts itself into the configuration it needs to assume in order to be able to deliver the patterns of inputs needed for the arbitrary number of times it takes to reduce a boss's health bar to zero. All so that I can repeat that learning process for the next boss - without even a break in between if I'm doing the latest DLC.
Same for me too. I enjoyed the game a lot but the parts I liked least were beating my head against a boss and that's pretty much everything I have left.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Indeed

https://twitter.com/Kele_kelo/status/1119557071983263744

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The Failed Champion is like a baby NKG in that when you try him first time it's easy to get your poo poo wrecked by constantly getting hit by 2 mask damage, but once you learn how he works it's trivial to beat him. He's a super easy version though because he only has two real attacks. If he jumps towards you, dash under him and hit him until he jumps again. If he jumps away from you, he's going to do the shockwave slam so stand back and jump over them. The only way you can possibly gently caress it up is if he jumps towards you but you're right in the corner, because if you pin him in the corner he might start doing a shockwave slam unexpectedly.

You can dream nail his shell while he's knocked down for soul and heal easily, and you can hit the falling projectiles with your sword and they do damage to him. Once you learn how to fight him he's basically a free full heal & full soul recharge during Pantheons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
With Failed Champion I've found that if you stay in the corners of the arena, you can trick him into continuously jumping over you and giving you a bunch of free windows for attacking.