Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rirse posted:

I think Cait Sith II was there to fool the player into going "oh it a fakeout party member death like the twins, Yang, or Cid in IV" then Aeris dies and does not come back.

That and because it's a moment of levity since it's immediately after Cloud goes nuts and starts beating Aeris in the remains of the temple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Stop trying to convince me to revive my old av you jerks.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Dragonatrix posted:

That and because it's a moment of levity since it's immediately after Cloud goes nuts and starts beating Aeris in the remains of the temple.

I thought it was pretty cool and realistic of her to be like “yeah I’m gonna peace out now guys” after that

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
That was the best part of Cait Sith's return. He show back up immediately after his "death" in what should be a funny scene, only to come across Cloud beating the poo poo out of Aerith and is all :yikes:

The emotional tone of that series of scenes is just all over the place and it's kind of great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Merilan posted:

the best part about Aeris' death is that 9 year old me didn't know about elements but put the water ring on before the fight with jenova anyway and thought that Cloud was invincible for plot reasons because he was SUPER UPSET about aeris' death in that battle

I always die to that fight at least once and have to sit through the cutscene a couple of times because I never use any accessories that don't give a straight attack/defence bonus and never even bothered looking at that ring.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man but does the battle booster in the switch version makes the early game a lot more bearable
Hell yes grinding limits

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I got Aerith's final limit break super easy on the PS4 version with the double speed turned on.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Schwartzcough posted:

That was the best part of Cait Sith's return. He show back up immediately after his "death" in what should be a funny scene, only to come across Cloud beating the poo poo out of Aerith and is all :yikes:

The emotional tone of that series of scenes is just all over the place and it's kind of great.

Wait what? Cloud beats Aerith? Huh?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah I never realized this either for a long time. I blame the graphics and the less-than-ideal camera angle.

After giving the Black Materia to Sephiroth he starts hitting Aerith which is why he has to be knocked out by...Vincent I think? Somebody.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah I never realized this either for a long time. I blame the graphics and the less-than-ideal camera angle.

After giving the Black Materia to Sephiroth he starts hitting Aerith which is why he has to be knocked out by...Vincent I think? Somebody.

I think it's Tifa. they wouldn't make it an optional character you never have to find. at least not by default

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's whoever is in your party at the time, that's all. It can be anyone.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

People talk about them not being able to do the Wall Market scenes in the remake, but this scene would be pretty drat disturbing without the blocky cartoon graphics. They removed the scene in FF6 where Celes gets beat up by a guard, so I can't imagine them keeping this one.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

People talk about them not being able to do the Wall Market scenes in the remake, but this scene would be pretty drat disturbing without the blocky cartoon graphics. They removed the scene in FF6 where Celes gets beat up by a guard, so I can't imagine them keeping this one.

Yeah with better graphics and less goofy sound effects, it be a pretty hosed up moment.

But that scene and Wall Market are nothing compared to the game starting with a literal act of blatant terrorism that explicitly got a lot of people killed. Heard some theories they'll say Mako Reactors are staffed entirely by machines or robots or whatever and also the explosion somehow won't hurt any nearby innocents.

It'll be the new "The Hulk never killed anybody on all his rampages."

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In the opening cinematic you see silhouettes moving in a building in the streets where Aeris is. As soon as you leave the reactor you pass by that same building, except it's now entirely destroyed. The very first building you reach in the very first screen you have access to once you leave the reactor is basically a symbol that you just killed innocent people.

It's like I said in my thread, FFVII is a game that would not have been made a few years later. It's a very raw, brutal deal and all of that went completely over people's heads. The moment you change the camera and the storytelling all of that will come in like a wrecking ball and you'll either have the most controversial game released in a while, or they'll have to cut everything and the game will be tone deaf.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah with better graphics and less goofy sound effects, it be a pretty hosed up moment.

But that scene and Wall Market are nothing compared to the game starting with a literal act of blatant terrorism that explicitly got a lot of people killed. Heard some theories they'll say Mako Reactors are staffed entirely by machines or robots or whatever and also the explosion somehow won't hurt any nearby innocents.

It'll be the new "The Hulk never killed anybody on all his rampages."

kazuma kiryu has never killed anyone

i couldn't believe it when i read that ff7 had a $100mn marketing budget and only a quarter of that for development costs but there it is. that's the price of a top-shelf marketing push in 1997

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Elentor posted:

In the opening cinematic you see silhouettes moving in a building in the streets where Aeris is. As soon as you leave the reactor you pass by that same building, except it's now entirely destroyed. The very first building you reach in the very first screen you have access to once you leave the reactor is basically a symbol that you just killed innocent people.

It's like I said in my thread, FFVII is a game that would not have been made a few years later. It's a very raw, brutal deal and all of that went completely over people's heads. The moment you change the camera and the storytelling all of that will come in like a wrecking ball and you'll either have the most controversial game released in a while, or they'll have to cut everything and the game will be tone deaf.

Yeah, this is a big part of why I have no faith in the remake. VII's a marketing darling and parts of it are great for that, but it's probably the single least-suited Final Fantasy for that when approached holistically.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

the buster sword has like 18 attack power it never killed anyone

On the periphery of it though I always think back to how insanely diverse FF7's NPC cast is; there's black people, gay people, poor people, who are everything from tourists to construction workers to slumdwellers to scammers. Some of the stereotypes are real dumb but it really is staggering how a 1997 game managed to pull all that

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Elephant Ambush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpbVkfboD-4&t=1234s

Yeah, listen to the sound effects if the animations aren't clear enough.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I still appreciate how loving bonkers FF7’s characters and story are, the hosed-up poo poo they were willing to show, and just how unique the game is compared to, well, anything else. And it still has probably the most clever twist in the series with Cloud’s past.

It’s definitely a game I can’t really see being made again, especially from a huge video game company, and especially especially from a company that seems utterly incapable of releasing AAA games in a timely manner.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Even putting aside the controversial-in-modern-day parts of VII, using an episodic approach to turn it into an action game is the worst way to remake it, anyway. You're shedding the gameplay core, and taking an approach that's just front-loading the difficulty in game development. Midgar is an enormous development load in basically every single way it could be, and an episodic approach means that they're locked into doing all of that, first thing.

The way I see it, I figure the only classic S-E RPG that could actually suit the approach they're taking is Chrono Trigger. It was already a bit more action-y so that gameplay transition's not so bad, basically none of it is in any way controversial, it's a lot easier to divide into episodes, and no matter how you cut that first episode it's not too much developmental work.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Schwartzcough posted:

He's not punching Aerith. He's punching the ground in frustration and anger. That's an anime trope. If he was hitting Aerith she'd be yelling at him or at least trying to get away.

Yes he pushes her down but he's not on top of her. From that angle, at worst he's hitting her ankles.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

I don’t know why but that guy chiming in with “is he beating her up?” has me rolling haha

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I think the urgency in which your 3rd party member suddenly jumps down to stop Cloud is probably what made most people remember that scene as him beating her up but yeah the polygons don't line up.... it's hard to tell the specifics of an FF7 scene sometimes

That said I think FF7 does have people getting punched twitch or react and Aeris is just lying stock still there

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Merilan posted:

I think the urgency in which your 3rd party member suddenly jumps down to stop Cloud is probably what made most people remember that scene as him beating her up but yeah the polygons don't line up.... it's hard to tell the specifics of an FF7 scene sometimes

That said I think FF7 does have people getting punched twitch or react and Aeris is just lying stock still there

I've played FF7 several times and just recently replayed it a couple years ago so I think I would remember if Cloud beat up Aerith. He didn't. However now that it's been pointed out I can see how some people would make that mistake and/or get confused by that scene.

Also I assume the Wall Market scene you're all talking about is the stuff with Don Cornelio and Cloud cross-dressing? I think they could definitely pull that off today. I mean, the whole original idea of having Cloud cross-dress was dumb in the first place because they could have just busted into the place with brute force and I hope that's what they do in the remake. Or Cloud could own it and roll with it and be like "Yeah sure cool whatever".

I don't remember any homophobic or transphobic stuff in the dialogue during that whole sequence but I'm willing to be corrected. Cloud's toxic masculinity got crushed and that's fine.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 22, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Elephant Ambush posted:

I've played FF7 several times and just recently replayed it a couple years ago so I think I would remember if Cloud beat up Aerith. He didn't. However now that it's been pointed out I can see how some people would make that mistake and/or get confused by that scene.

Also I assume the Wall Market scene you're all talking about is the stuff with Don Cornelio and Cloud cross-dressing? I think they could definitely pull that off today. I mean, the whole original idea of having Cloud cross-dress was dumb in the first place because they could have just busted into the place with brute force and I hope that's what they do in the remake. Or Cloud could own it and roll with it and be like "Yeah sure cool whatever".

I don't remember any homophobic or transphobic stuff in the dialogue during that whole sequence but I'm willing to be corrected. Cloud's toxic masculinity got crushed and that's fine.

I can't really speak for others but for me the Wall Market sequence was pretty formative for me in that it's the first experience I ever saw in media as a kid of a guy choosing to pass as a girl and the whole thing not being ridiculed as like, a gross joke.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Elephant Ambush posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think that Wall Market would play mostly fine these days, because at this point drag queens have gone from 'the weird thing that goes on at 1AM at a gay bar' to a mainstream thing, so you can just lean into that side of things if you want to.

There is that one weird part of all of that with the men's bathhouse/shower (I forget which), though. That one might need some changeups.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Elephant Ambush posted:

The part where 50 dudes and cloud climb into a hot tub gets a bit sketchy, but probably actually doesn't need that much work to maintain what's going on there and not be.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Failboattootoot posted:

The part where 50 dudes and cloud climb into a hot tub gets a bit sketchy, but probably actually doesn't need that much work to maintain what's going on there and not be.

Just interpret Cloud's reactions as a lot more nonchalant. Doesn't he mostly shrug and walk out, no rushing?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Mister Olympus posted:

Just interpret Cloud's reactions as a lot more nonchalant. Doesn't he mostly shrug and walk out, no rushing?

The screen fades to black and there's a lot of suggestive text between Cloud and Mukki, the owner of the establishment, and then when it fades back in Cloud plays it off and walks out without saying anything.

Honestly I always felt that it was intended to sound sexual without explicitly being so; it's just as reasonable that he would be uncomfortable in a hot tub full of scantily-clad muscle men, implied homoerotic touching or no.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Wasn't Mukki's whole character all about being the hard gay stereotype but actually being pretty clean and wholesome

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's hard to say because he only appears like twice

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Merilan posted:

I can't really speak for others but for me the Wall Market sequence was pretty formative for me in that it's the first experience I ever saw in media as a kid of a guy choosing to pass as a girl and the whole thing not being ridiculed as like, a gross joke.

Well aeris does tease him a bit but it's def more on the playful side of things

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

mandatory lesbian posted:

Well aeris does tease him a bit but it's def more on the playful side of things

Yeah Aeris struck me from what I remember as just like being real chuffed about the idea

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so what exactly is the verdict on the ff7 steam port? if i buy it, will i have a really janky time with it or is it perfectly fine?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ninjewtsu posted:

so what exactly is the verdict on the ff7 steam port? if i buy it, will i have a really janky time with it or is it perfectly fine?

It's basically fine, the best you'll get at this point. The only real misstep is that one of the early minigames is unwinnable (the marching in Junoon doesn't actually accept most of the inputs you need to do), but you don't get anything good for winning that anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doesnt it also have the music bug?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
There's some jank with the models too. Sephiroth specifically is always trying to catch flies with his open mouth:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

That's the version I played and it's fine, I don't feel like there was anything that like hampered my playthrough,and the speed boosters and cheats really helped with playability, not that I used much other then the speed booster

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Moved on to 15 and I think if they had toned down the horny design on Cindy even like, ten percent, she might have been one of my favorite FF NPCs. I think her music that plays when you're getting/turning in side quests is probably my favorite music in the game so far. It's a catchy little earworm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Id like her to be less horny and named Sidney