Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The dickey amendment stops them from using any of the majority of their money for "promoting gun control" which it turna out is a really broad thing that includes doing research

So this government agency can do it, just not with government money

Which, again, lots of their money right there

Turns out when you hamstring an agency because you didn't like the results they turned up in the 90s they don't get good results again

I'm fully aware of the Dickey Amendment, which is addressed in my link if you'd taken the time to actually read it.

Other federal agencies also track firearms injuries, and the CDC's results just looking at the data are often at odds with these other sources when you look at gun violence. Furthermore, one measure the CDC uses on its own data is effectively a measure of how much they trust their data (conveniently called a "confidence interval"). There is only one data set they are less confident in than firearms injuries, which is drowning - conveniently, that's the only other data set they produce that is also at odds with other data sources tracking injuries at the federal level within the US government.

The original statement I responded to was explicitly "allow the CDC to track gun control" which they already do, and the point is that they're bad at it, and they know it. They are not hamstrung from tracking the data - they are hamstrung from advocating policy positions (which really means researching the data and reaching conclusions from said research), which is a different argument entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think it's funny that Republicans think people care what the CDC says. I mean idiots won't even vaccinate their kids. The CDC could be like "We discovered all guns are possessed by a devil that causes 100% of crimes" and nobody would change their mind.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think it's funny that Republicans think people care what the CDC says. I mean idiots won't even vaccinate their kids. The CDC could be like "We discovered all guns are possessed by a devil that causes 100% of crimes" and nobody would change their mind.

It's almost as if most people are largely or completely decided on specific issues and will decide on their sources based on which ones most agree with their stance, all but rendering discussion of said issues pointless.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's almost as if most people are largely or completely decided on specific issues and will decide on their sources based on which ones most agree with their stance, all but rendering discussion of said issues pointless.

true, but it is funny to watch the pro-gun cops go silent when someone questions their right to summarily execute people for having the wrong amount of melanin while holding a toy

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

true, but it is funny to watch the pro-gun cops go silent when someone questions their right to summarily execute people for having the wrong amount of melanin while holding a toy

I enjoy the "What, do you want cops to potentially risk their life rather than executing people" responses, as if that's not an insane obviously answered question.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Don't you realize how incredible hosed up it is to have three mass shootings in one year? And you incredible broken one must be to say that that's positive?
I mean, I don't think mass shootings are a good thing, but I also don't think anything that kills, on average, less than 100 people nationwide per year (at least according to the MoJo database) is worth curtailing everyone's rights over.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Christ I love to be a pedanric shithead about how actually this group of people being shot to death doesn't count towards a list of people who were shot to death, really blackens the twisted husk that remains of my soul
If you're going to argue that mass shootings are a uniquely important reason for gun control, then "what actually constitutes a mass shooting" is sort of an important question. You have to define the scope of the problem.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

drat, only one every other month according to this one website that I definitely didn't cherry pick because it's criteria are better for me, that's not firghteningly common at all when compared to the rest of the world
I said there's no agreed upon definition of mass shooting, I just think MoJo's most closely tracks with what the average person thinks of when you say "mass shooting."

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also he's a liar, they don't use three or more deaths
Actually:

Mother Jones literally in the article posted:

Dating back to at least 2005, the FBI and leading criminologists essentially defined a mass shooting as a single attack in a public place in which four or more victims were killed. We adopted that baseline for fatalities when we gathered data in 2012 on three decades worth of cases... In January 2013, a mandate for federal investigation of mass shootings authorized by President Barack Obama lowered that baseline to three or more victims killed. Accordingly, we include attacks dating from January 2013 in which three or more victims were killed. Our original analysis, which covers cases from 1982-2012 with four or more victims killed, follows below.
The period we were discussing was the year to date. Want to walk back that "liar" comment now?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nah not really. You're still arguing that multiple people being shot doesn't matter unless an arbitrary number of them die, because you don't want to lose your bang bang toys. It's a garbage criteria, and you're only using that list because it being mother Jones gives you a fig lead to hide behind because mother Jones isn't run by gunfuckers like you. Eat poo poo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

I mean, I don't think mass shootings are a good thing, but I also don't think anything that kills, on average, less than 100 people nationwide per year (at least according to the MoJo database) is worth curtailing everyone's rights over.

Nice rhetorical trick of using the phrase "curtailing everyone's rights" as a much scarier way of saying "implementing some gun control"

:jerkbag:

WampaLord posted:

And yet we have mass shooting events on a regular basis and they don't. And they are uniquely horrifying, they leave a collective scar on the psyche of the nation, and now the next generation is at an all time high level of fear of being killed in school (proven with data earlier itt) despite the beep boop statistical chances of them being shot being low.

This is a phenomenon we must take drastic action to prevent. It is literally inflicting trauma on an entire generation of young Americans. You would rather us do nothing because you love your toys so loving much.

"Eh, not worth it, my ~rights to own a shooty toy~ are too important!"

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Dead Reckoning posted:

How many would need to die to justify "curtailing everyone's rights"

Just asking if you had an actual number you wanted to commit to or if this is a weak justification

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Unoriginal Name posted:

How many would need to die to justify "curtailing everyone's rights"

Just asking if you had an actual number you wanted to commit to or if this is a weak justification

I don't have an exact number in mind, but I know it's at least 88,000. That's how many excess deaths the CDC estimates are caused by alcohol each year. Alcohol has absolutely no redeeming social value, but we tolerate it in spite of its staggering cost to society. I don't think one can coherently be in favor of both strong gun control and legal consumption of alcohol, if your objection is from a public health standpoint.

What's your number? Would you have everyone give up the right to vote, or free speech, if it saved a million lives a year?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

Nice rhetorical trick of using the phrase "curtailing everyone's rights" as a much scarier way of saying "implementing some gun control"

:jerkbag:

"Eh, not worth it, my ~rights to own a shooty toy~ are too important!"

The whole "you guys are so immature just trying to keep your murder toys" argument is so boring. There are tons and tons of vices or toys that we permit in a society that kill innocent people on a regular basis. Why do we continue to allow backyard pools when that kills dozens of kids each year? Why don't we have ignition interlock installed in each new car made when we know how many innocent people die from drinking and driving? Why are we still allowed to sell cigarettes when we understand how many people die of second hand smoke?

The answer to all of those is as a society, we permit some risk for peoples vices/hobbies/interests. What is the point where the risk outweighs the public interest? I think we should be able to have pools. Maybe we shouldn't be allowed to sell cigarettes anymore. Maybe we should start to install breathalyzers in each new car. Maybe we should stop selling semi-auto rifles.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't have an exact number in mind, but I know it's at least 88,000. That's how many excess deaths the CDC estimates are caused by alcohol each year. Alcohol has absolutely no redeeming social value, but we tolerate it in spite of its staggering cost to society. I don't think one can coherently be in favor of both strong gun control and legal consumption of alcohol, if your objection is from a public health standpoint.

What's your number? Would you have everyone give up the right to vote, or free speech, if it saved a million lives a year?

I mean we limit it to those over the age of 21, arrest you if using it unsafely (DUIs) and empower sellers to cut people off, so you're down for like 25% of that, yeah?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Alcohol has absolutely no redeeming social value

Tastes good is fun. Deaths are byproduct of other issues to solve (capitalism/car culture/guns). Like a drunk, America cannot be trusted with guns and heavy machinery.

Alcohol is a recreational intoxicant. We regulate it with restrictions on what you can do under it's influence.
Your shooty toys are recreational murder weapons and should be regulated as such.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 22, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

Tastes good is fun.
Ah yes the great social value of "is fun"

The reason for alcohol to be legal is that we tried banning it and everything got worse. If you could make it all disappear from the Earth tomorrow it would be a massive social good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

But freedom of speech is regulated in order to save lives. You're not allow to threaten someone for example.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
As much as the proliferation of weapons is a public health disaster in its own right, I'm not really sure that's the ideal avenue of attack. As has been pointed out, contextualised with other major public health issues, guns are only a middling priority even in the US.

In general, as part of the social contract, citizens give up the use of force against others to the state. The issue with guns is that they serve no real purpose, yet give individual citizens the power of life and death over complete strangers to what should be (and is considered in most the world) an unreasonable extent in a safe, developed society. It really is a classic case of 'ARE FREEDOMS', and most people feel that the underlying justification for allowing an armed citizenry is pretty thin, and in the case of the US, hinging on something wholly archaic. Pro-gun people can spend all day shooting down statistical arguments and throwing out what-about-isms, but it doesn't change that the fact that really the only reasons people want guns are as cool toys and the fear of other people with guns, both of which are pretty horrible arguments against gun control measures.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Jeza posted:

As much as the proliferation of weapons is a public health disaster in its own right, I'm not really sure that's the ideal avenue of attack. As has been pointed out, contextualised with other major public health issues, guns are only a middling priority even in the US.

In general, as part of the social contract, citizens give up the use of force against others to the state. The issue with guns is that they serve no real purpose, yet give individual citizens the power of life and death over complete strangers to what should be (and is considered in most the world) an unreasonable extent in a safe, developed society. It really is a classic case of 'ARE FREEDOMS', and most people feel that the underlying justification for allowing an armed citizenry is pretty thin, and in the case of the US, hinging on something wholly archaic. Pro-gun people can spend all day shooting down statistical arguments and throwing out what-about-isms, but it doesn't change that the fact that really the only reasons people want guns are as cool toys and the fear of other people with guns, both of which are pretty horrible arguments against gun control measures.

Apart from hunting, "cool toys" is the only valid reason to have guns.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Ah yes the great social value of "is fun"

This is so loving weird. You and DR should start a neo-prohibition thread. It'd be interesting!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

My position is that while I'd like to see some form of gun control laws, I do not trust the policing system that disproportionately extra-judicially murders black people not to cynically use it as another vector of justification for systemic oppression, like they did and still do with the War on Drugs. I don't know if good solutions can ever work unless the police as they currently exist are abolished.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Here is an interesting thought experiment. Consider a gun with a special attachment around the trigger so that when you throw the gun, as soon as it hits the ground it fires. Now modify the gun so the front of the barrel is sealed with metal, so it explodes when fired. It would still be a gun, just a very bad one. Now make the barrel really short and thick, and make the bullet consist of almost all powder and almost no metal. Now you basically have a grenade. Now make it as heavy as the heaviest legal gun. Now it's a bomb.

Should civilians be as free to possess big bombs as they do guns? Completely unlicensed and unregistered? If the answer is "no", then why so? Why are big bombs not allowed, but guns are? It's fun to throw big bombs into lakes and watch them explode and make big waves.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I want whatever this guy is smoking.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

qkkl posted:

Here is an interesting thought experiment. Consider a gun with a special attachment around the trigger so that when you throw the gun, as soon as it hits the ground it fires. Now modify the gun so the front of the barrel is sealed with metal, so it explodes when fired. It would still be a gun, just a very bad one. Now make the barrel really short and thick, and make the bullet consist of almost all powder and almost no metal. Now you basically have a grenade. Now make it as heavy as the heaviest legal gun. Now it's a bomb.

Should civilians be as free to possess big bombs as they do guns? Completely unlicensed and unregistered? If the answer is "no", then why so? Why are big bombs not allowed, but guns are? It's fun to throw big bombs into lakes and watch them explode and make big waves.

imo as long as a reasonable level of public safety can be maintained (ie background check, mandatory explosives handling course) you should be allowed to blow up your old lovely computer on an explosive licensed range (which may or may not be a sufficiently large fenced in part of your own land) instead of just putting bullets into it, because oh boy gently caress that thing i want it gone from this earth

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zapplez posted:

The whole "you guys are so immature just trying to keep your murder toys" argument is so boring. There are tons and tons of vices or toys that we permit in a society that kill innocent people on a regular basis. Why do we continue to allow backyard pools when that kills dozens of kids each year? Why don't we have ignition interlock installed in each new car made when we know how many innocent people die from drinking and driving? Why are we still allowed to sell cigarettes when we understand how many people die of second hand smoke?

The answer to all of those is as a society, we permit some risk for peoples vices/hobbies/interests. What is the point where the risk outweighs the public interest? I think we should be able to have pools. Maybe we shouldn't be allowed to sell cigarettes anymore. Maybe we should start to install breathalyzers in each new car. Maybe we should stop selling semi-auto rifles.

Backyard pools aren't designed to hurl a bullet at such speed that it destroys whatever it hits
Cars aren't designed to hurl a bullet at such speed that it destroys whatever it hits
Cigarettes aren't designed to hurl a bullet at such speed that it destroys whatever it hits

Guns are uniquely risky because they are designed to hurl a bullet at such speed that it destroys whatever it hits, thus making them excellent murder tools. We should regulate the gently caress out of these murder tools just like we regulate all of the examples you provided.

In before DR says "well my guns haven't murdered anyone, so I don't see the problem" :smug:

Zapplez, maybe it's time to log onto your alt to agree with yourself, this is pathetic arguing in defense of your murder toys.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I want whatever this guy is smoking.

It is absolutely amazing how many people fall for this idiot every time, he's either a troll or a moron and it's hard to tell the difference, but either way he almost never posts anything worthwhile and oftentimes posts extremely horrifying poo poo like:

qkkl posted:

If cops have to fire the second shot then they better be either behind a bullet-proof barrier or wearing full body armor, including those Spetznas-style helmets. The issue here is simply racism, that the life of an African-American male is not worth the cost of equipping cops with the gear they need to safely diffuse these kinds of situations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Blowing poo poo up is indeed the ultimate form of human expression. Very few things in life soothe the soul like a really satisfying explosion.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Blowing poo poo up is indeed the ultimate form of human expression. Very few things in life soothe the soul like a really satisfying explosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7ssUivM-eM

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

suck my woke dick posted:

imo as long as a reasonable level of public safety can be maintained (ie background check, mandatory explosives handling course) you should be allowed to blow up your old lovely computer on an explosive licensed range (which may or may not be a sufficiently large fenced in part of your own land) instead of just putting bullets into it, because oh boy gently caress that thing i want it gone from this earth

Should you be allowed to keep bombs in your home (after a background check, licensing, and completing all mandatory handling courses)?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

Backyard pools aren't designed to hurl a bullet at such speed that it destroys whatever it hits
Cars aren't designed to hurl a bullet at such speed that it destroys whatever it hits
Cigarettes aren't designed to hurl a bullet at such speed that it destroys whatever it hits

Guns are uniquely risky because they are designed to hurl a bullet at such speed that it destroys whatever it hits, thus making them excellent murder tools. We should regulate the gently caress out of these murder tools just like we regulate all of the examples you provided.

In before DR says "well my guns haven't murdered anyone, so I don't see the problem" :smug:

Zapplez, maybe it's time to log onto your alt to agree with yourself, this is pathetic arguing in defense of your murder toys.

Jesus christ, call me out in the thunderdome or fyad or whatever if you want to talk about my banned alt some more. I'd rather argue about the actual threads contents.

You are being incredibly semantic if you can't understand the parallel between two different recreational activities that kill innocent people in large quantities each year. And no joke, we should actually ban the sale of cigarettes. Pools on the other hand I think are worth it, even with the deaths, to have that freedom.

How many lives would be saved if we banned civilian ownership of guns? Would it be 11,000 a year? Or just 1000 a year? We don't know. Is it worth it for that? Maybe. Its probably achievable in our lifetime to ban "assault rifles", but its only 3% of firearm homicidies. The large majority are fromh handguns, but those are inshrined in law . Since the supreme court ruled the 2A protects owning firearms for self defence, so I don't know how you would ever get a ban done on handguns anyways.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 22, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zapplez posted:

Jesus christ, call me out in the thunderdome or fyad or whatever if you want to talk about my banned alt some more. I'd rather argue about the actual threads contents.

You are being incredibly semantic if you can't understand the parallel between two different recreational activities that kill innocent people in large quantities each year. And no joke, we should actually ban the sale of cigarettes. Pools on the other hand I think are worth it, even with the deaths, to have that freedom.

You drop the dumb arguments about anything that isn't gun control and I'll stop bringing up your banned alt, deal?

This isn't a thread about cigarettes or pools. It is about guns. I'm sick of doing this same disingenuous dance with every gun nut where we have to go through all the same arguments over and over again. This ain't my first rodeo.

zapplez posted:

How many lives would be saved if we banned civilian ownership of guns? Would it be 11,000 a year? Or just 1000 a year? We don't know. Is it worth it for that? Maybe.

YES IT IS WORTH IT

"maybe" lmao

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

In actual gun legislation news, the bump stock thing happened and everyone already forgot about it.

Number of cold dead hands so far: 0

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

States and counties are allowed to ban alcohol if they want and some counties still do.

They're also allowed to regulate it however they want which is why states have laws that allow them to prosecute the seller if they serve someone alcohol and that person goes out and kills someone.

I'm not sure this is the comparison you want to make.

But if it is, sure I'm down put that poo poo in the Constitution

quote:

Section 1. The second article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.

Section 2. The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of firearms and destructive devices, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 22, 2019

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Unoriginal Name posted:

I mean we limit it to those over the age of 21, arrest you if using it unsafely (DUIs) and empower sellers to cut people off, so you're down for like 25% of that, yeah?
I'm not sure I understand your question. You have to be 21 to buy a handgun, and most unsafe things you might do with a gun are already covered by various criminal statutes. There isn't a specific dram shop law for gun stores, but OTOH the cashier at the grocery store doesn't make a phone call to the FBI every time I buy a six pack to make sure I'm allowed to have it, so let's call that a wash. If congress wanted to raise the age to buy semiautomatic center fire rifles to 21, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The reason for alcohol to be legal is that we tried banning it and everything got worse. If you could make it all disappear from the Earth tomorrow it would be a massive social good.
The pro-gun control side doesn't seem to see the failure of past policy as a reason not to attempt it again.

Alhazred posted:

But freedom of speech is regulated in order to save lives. You're not allow to threaten someone for example.
Not really a great example: you aren't allowed to threaten people with guns either. It's outside the scope of the second amendment the same way telling people you're going to murder them is outside the scope of the first. Yet repeal of the second amendment and complete destruction of private gun ownership as a right is a common position on the pro-control side.

suck my woke dick posted:

Apart from hunting, "cool toys" is the only valid reason to have guns.
Self defense is an inherent human right.

qkkl posted:

Guns are inert. Bombs are not inert and are inherently hazardous. If someone's home burns down with their gun collection and ammunition in it, it generally doesn't pose a hazard to people in the vicinity. If a fireworks factory or bomb storage area catches fire, it poses an inherent hazard, which justifies a higher level of regulation in transport and storage.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 22, 2019

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not sure I understand your question. You have to be 21 to buy a handgun, and most unsafe things you might do with a gun are already covered by various criminal statutes. There isn't a specific dram shop law for gun stores, but OTOH the cashier at the grocery store doesn't make a phone call to the FBI every time I buy a six pack to make sure I'm allowed to have it, so let's call that a wash. If congress wanted to raise the age to buy semiautomatic center fire rifles to 21, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape.

How about defining a gun stored outside a gun safe as unsafe use

Because, ya know, ...it is

"Guns are inert, bombs are not inert" lmao

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

In actual gun legislation news, the bump stock thing happened and everyone already forgot about it.

Number of cold dead hands so far: 0

We knew gun nuts are cowards. That's why they own guns.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Self-defense is not a human right without restrictions, and restrictions are placed on what constitutes reasonable self-defense and the means by which you can apply it. The 'need' to carry a gun for self-defense is completely circular, because the only situation where that could be necessary would be when you're at risk from other citizens with guns. It is literally a self-propagating and artificial arms race. Not only that, but an armed citizenry necessitates an armed and aggressive police force that liberally applies use of force.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Guns are inert. Bombs are not inert and are inherently hazardous. If someone's home burns down with their gun collection and ammunition in it, it generally doesn't pose a hazard to people in the vicinity. If a fireworks factory or bomb storage area catches fire, it poses an inherent hazard, which justifies a higher level of regulation in transport and storage.

So if a perfect bomb storage solution were invented that completely eliminated all accidental hazards with 100% certainty, you'd be okay with people having arsenals of OKC-attack level of explosives?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jeza posted:

Self-defense is not a human right

But the supreme court ruled that it is. See Columbia v Heller. Thats why you can't ban handguns outright, even on a state level.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The supreme court also ruled that owning people was a human right

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

We knew gun nuts are cowards. That's why they own guns.
Enforcement action has, as far as I can tell, been zero. So in this case it is the police who are cowards.

Which we already knew.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

zapplez posted:

But the supreme court ruled that it is. See Columbia v Heller. Thats why you can't ban handguns outright, even on a state level.

Why just copy and paste the first half of the sentence when it only makes sense in the context of the words that come after it? Literally, it says in what I wrote that self-defense is a right, but with restrictions. Yes, in America keeping a gun for the purposes of self-defense is a right protected under the Constitution. Believe it or not, that doesn't say much in particular about the right of self-defense, just on the legality of owning firearms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

The supreme court also ruled that owning people was a human right

:drat:

You are right though, holy gently caress was the supreme court filled with garbage people 150 years ago.