Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Rainbow run seems stronger and more consistent as long as you do oubliette.

Annoying part is that if you're unlocking gunslinger with rainbow you won't know what's good to pick (for example with gunslinger the cactus is the best gun in the game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Gungeon runs are stronger if you do the Oubliette, and the Abbey, and then the Rat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If you're consistently beating the rat I don't think it really matters whether rainbow is stronger than non-rainbow.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Whether rainbow or not, runs will always be more consistent if you can beat the Oubliette. And more if you can beat the Abbey, and again more if you can beat the Rat. I didn't say anything about whether rainbow runs are stronger than normal runs (they are).

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

I can almost always beat the rat shoot fight; but the boxing match after I always lose horribly. I'm not sure if I have ever gotten more than one key from that fight.

Is there a useful breakdown somewhere on how to box the rat?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

I'm not sure about a breakdown, but here are some pointers:

You need to learn the attack animations and what he can do in each phase. Once he blocks one punch stop attacking and wait for him to do something. Hit him when he flashes for super. Once you learn when these flashes are going to happen you want to attack right before they come out since your punches aren't instantaneous. Your main source of rat keys and item drops from this fight is ending each phase with a Super.

Phase 1: Always dodge backwards during this phase, you'll dodge every attack he has so far and it will give you openings to hit back when he misses. The safest way to get Super is from his taunt where he flexes on your punk rear end for a bit, then you punch him as it flashes; this one gives you plenty of opportunity to learn the timing since this is the first phase. If you can't get the Super kill just grind him down since it's easier to get super in the later phases.

Phase 2: He stops doing the taunt from phase 1, upgrades to a three punch combo and gains new tail sweep and jump back lunge attacks along with a cheese eating heal.
The three punch combo is your main source of super here, block (forward) the first and hit the opening in the second, if you flub it you can get a correctly timed hit on the third punch.
The stationary tail sweep needs to be blocked, or if you're feeling ballsy you can punch him right before he does it for a short stun but no super.
The jump back lunge should be dodged backwards, but if you're crazy you can punch him right as he hops towards you.
The cheese eating heal can be stopped by hitting him right as he's moving to put it into his mouth. If you mess up this timing you will not lose any super you've accumulated even though you'll take a tiny sliver of damage from his jab.

Phase 3: New attacks include a multi-hit spin, a box toss, and and a wind-up punch. I can't remember if he still does uppercuts in this phase. Extra note: in this phase a three charge super will instakill the rat no matter how much health he has left.
The multi-hit spin has a similar wind-up to the stationary tail whip, but is deeper and longer. You have to hit him right before he spins to stop it and get the super charge (this timing is similar to the dazing on the regular one)
During the Box Toss move he jumps to the back of the not-Metal Gear and tosses an ammo box at you. Punch it back at him, or dodge left/right out of the way.
During the wind-up he leans back and starts whirling his arm around. This isn't too helpful, but my timing is: he leans back, 1, 2, 3, punch to get the super. In other words, and like everything else, you need to hit him right before it comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odUo_OW0a14

BONUS! Once you obtain them the rat items are added to the item pool. If you have a rat item and open its corresponding chest it will be replaced with an A-tier item. That is unless it's a mimic, in which case it will be a dupe.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 21, 2019

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
A neat thing about rainbow runs is that you do get items from the rat after a punch out bout. Granted you’re probably overpowered but it’s nice at least to get some lesser tier items for synergies and healing

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
To stop the cheese heal you have to hit him with a right handed punch at the right time. Left handed doesn't work.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

No Wave posted:

If you're consistently beating the rat I don't think it really matters whether rainbow is stronger than non-rainbow.

Why fight the rat? Go into his level, get the rainbow chest, and go the wrong direction in the maze 2-3 times, boom, elevator to floor 4. EZPZ extra chest for the low low price of 115 casings, 2 blanks (or 1 armor and 1 blank), and a key

bing bong so simple :smugdon:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I really wish there was a way to turn off gun drops for things you just absolutely despite. I've been doing rainbow blessed runs for a giggle and everytime my run just gets ended when I start getting a bunch of charge up lovely guns in a row.

or the molotov launcher on the dragon, that thing that can't hurt him

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
AWP on Gunslinger is so hilarious it's beyond broken. It has so many synergies that stack damage and the spin multiplies so you can basically one shot every boss in the game.

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016
Is there a mod or something to make guns that fire faster with rapid clicking just shoot that fast when I hold fire down? I'm trying to kill the past with Robot and his starter gun is going to give me a repeat stress injury.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Archenteron posted:

Why fight the rat? Go into his level, get the rainbow chest, and go the wrong direction in the maze 2-3 times, boom, elevator to floor 4. EZPZ extra chest for the low low price of 115 casings, 2 blanks (or 1 armor and 1 blank), and a key

On rainbow runs you can get the items from the punch out which is enough reason to fight him.

Gamerofthegame posted:

I really wish there was a way to turn off gun drops for things you just absolutely despite. I've been doing rainbow blessed runs for a giggle and everytime my run just gets ended when I start getting a bunch of charge up lovely guns in a row.

or the molotov launcher on the dragon, that thing that can't hurt him

3rd party controller will screw you over too big time in blessed runs and should just be removed from them.

Destro fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 22, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Egads, but I do hate the punch-out sequence.

Do you unlock anything from the rainbow run, or it is just a cheevo?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samovar posted:

Egads, but I do hate the punch-out sequence.

Do you unlock anything from the rainbow run, or it is just a cheevo?

not even a cheevo, you just get another trophy in that chamber

Sultan Tarquin posted:

AWP on Gunslinger is so hilarious it's beyond broken. It has so many synergies that stack damage and the spin multiplies so you can basically one shot every boss in the game.

my dark horse favorite is the Phoenix, by the time you clear the first wave of a room the whole world is on fire and the burn damage takes care of any future spawns

it was a godsend in Challenge Mode, though i had to be careful about switching out guns since you lose your fire immunity

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 22, 2019

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
It's not gamebreaking good, but the flare gun on gunslinger is so ridiculous compared to the base version.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Archenteron posted:

You can do this??? I read how to do the rat before I even started the game so I never walked in the wrong direction, I'd just assumed you'e be lost forever. There are for sure runs where I buy the gnawed key and have a bad third floor so I call off the rat so this would be very helpful for those runs.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is there a way to see what each item is before picking them up in a rainbow run or do you just need the knowledge of what every item and gun in the game is?

Switch version fwiw

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You can scroll through your ammonomicon, that's about it. I think there's no efficient way to do it unfortunately.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Your Computer posted:

is there a way to see what each item is before picking them up in a rainbow run or do you just need the knowledge of what every item and gun in the game is?

Switch version fwiw

There are mods for this on PC, so a 0% chance for the Switch.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BaconCopter posted:

There are mods for this on PC, so a 0% chance for the Switch.
man, I should really just play this on PC huh?

the performance on Switch seems really bad too since the patch, too. Almost every room entry comes with a lot of dropped frames, sometimes it drops a bunch of frames while you're in a room as well, and the loading feels worse than it used too as well. :sigh:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

the performance on Switch seems really bad too since the patch, too. Almost every room entry comes with a lot of dropped frames, sometimes it drops a bunch of frames while you're in a room as well, and the loading feels worse than it used too as well. :sigh:

Play on Performance graphics mode (whatever the name for that is) helps a lot.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chin Strap posted:

Play on Performance graphics mode (whatever the name for that is) helps a lot.
that's the thing though, I am

it's been a while since I last played it (around the advanced gungeons & draguns patch) but I've always had it on performance mode and I can't remember it ever being this bad

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Your Computer posted:

It really depends on how much you like EtG and how far you are on the Switch version. If you're pretty early in the save file it might be worth it for an overall better experience, it's on sale for $7.50 on GoG right now.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Playing a bullet hell game on a tiny screen seems like it would just not be a fun thing to do.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Destro posted:

Playing a bullet hell game on a tiny screen seems like it would just not be a fun thing to do.
on the contrary I actually find that a lot better on the Switch (handheld) than on my PC because on the PC it's so zoomed it gets disorienting :v: Did they ever add a way to scale down the game area while still keeping it fullscreen?

BaconCopter posted:

It really depends on how much you like EtG and how far you are on the Switch version. If you're pretty early in the save file it might be worth it for an overall better experience, it's on sale for $7.50 on GoG right now.
oh I already have it on PC :shobon: I only played it for a couple of hours on PC before buying it on the Switch though (in part because of what I mentioned above) and on my Switch save I'm not sure exactly how long I've played but I've killed everyone's past and unlocked every NPC. I'm also terrible at the game so the aim assist actually helps a lot vs. using a mouse and keyboard, even if it's a bit blasphemous.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
I've really started getting into the game after the Arms update, and I just killed my first past. High Kaliber's synergy with Yellow Chamber, with Helix Bullets doubling the shots makes for an insane boss killer.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I really just wanted to complete my ammonomicon but I can't get rubensteins monster for the life of me. I've tried running rainbow runs restarting until I get the mk 2 version but then I never see the prototype after that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I really just wanted to complete my ammonomicon but I can't get rubensteins monster for the life of me. I've tried running rainbow runs restarting until I get the mk 2 version but then I never see the prototype after that.
Yeah I dont think there are any increases to the frequency of the second one showing up after getting the first (which is dumb imo if it's required to complete the ammonomicon). Great use case for mod the gungeon.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I love Gungeon. I suck at it, I can't even beat floor 3. My reflexes are so bad.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Man this game is easier once you've unlocked more items. I mostly played when the game was newer and barely unlocked Ox's inventory, never got past floor 3. I came back after the update, continued unlocking the store and quickly beat the Dragun and Past for the first time, which was around death 80. I'm at death 90 now and have unlocked Bullet, Robot, Boss Rush, killed a jammed Boss, all pasts besides Bullet, Litch, and a Blessed/Challenge/Speed run. Rainbow runs seem ridiculous because I can target Clone or Pig and +Damage items which inevitably snowball. Just have the Bullet's past, Paradox/Gunslinger, the harder Dragun, and the Rat...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The game was made easier around AG&D - item unlocks make the game substantially easier for sure but as I understand it there were big changes around the key economy.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i like how the mention misguided scarcity of old gungeon in the new ruby bracelet description

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

The game was made easier around AG&D - item unlocks make the game substantially easier for sure but as I understand it there were big changes around the key economy.
yeah, and ammo. I remember it used to feel like a bad idea to use the guns you found, because you might not see any ammo for the rest of the run and you wouldn't want to get into a boss fight with just your default gun since then you'd be plinking away at them for half an hour.

speaking of plinking away, even though the game has improved a lot (and is a fantastic game) I still wish they'd reduce the health across the board a bit. You could cut the health of enemies and bosses in half and they would still take a considerable amount of shots from most guns.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That's how I feel whenever I play the pilot too many times

The game really wants you to be forced to actually learn the boss patterns rather than just kind of sneaking by with 2 blanks. There are still bosses I'm not confident in (like wallmonger) and even now I feel like I'm often strong enough to kind of trivialize them and get the master round anyway. I'm not sure how I feel about the decision either tbh, damage cap and magnificence are the two very controversial mechanics (and there being so many crap A-tier items in the game makes me wonder even more what the deal with magnificence is).

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I keep forgetting to look out for the paradox puddle whenever I have a really good run going. Inevitably the few times I do notice it is a run that doesn't make it to the end. I'll never get the new characters.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

That's how I feel whenever I play the pilot too many times

The game really wants you to be forced to actually learn the boss patterns rather than just kind of sneaking by with 2 blanks. There are still bosses I'm not confident in (like wallmonger) and even now I feel like I'm often strong enough to kind of trivialize them and get the master round anyway. I'm not sure how I feel about the decision either tbh, damage cap and magnificence are the two very controversial mechanics (and there being so many crap A-tier items in the game makes me wonder even more what the deal with magnificence is).
:agreed:

though if you're using a basic (or just bad) gun it's going to take you so long to kill a boss (practically anything past the first floor or two) that even with complete mastery over the boss' patterns you're still going to risk loving it up because it just goes on for so long. Some of the bosses are also just completely awful and have never been fixed since launch AFAIK, like the High Priest with the random bullets spawning everywhere. And then there's the bosses like the Ammoconda which essentially have DPS checks, because it goes straight into unfair mode if you can't kill the blobs before it eats them.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Fat Bullets + Alpha/Omega is insane with the Hunter's crossbow. I managed to get Stout and Fat bullets and that was a fun run. Rainbow Runs usually let me target combinations like that, and if I knew the available synergies better I imagine I'd have an even easier time of it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Finally got all the achievements! I was really slacking so the last one I needed was the hunter quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Your Computer posted:

:agreed:

though if you're using a basic (or just bad) gun it's going to take you so long to kill a boss (practically anything past the first floor or two) that even with complete mastery over the boss' patterns you're still going to risk loving it up because it just goes on for so long. Some of the bosses are also just completely awful and have never been fixed since launch AFAIK, like the High Priest with the random bullets spawning everywhere. And then there's the bosses like the Ammoconda which essentially have DPS checks, because it goes straight into unfair mode if you can't kill the blobs before it eats them.

I never kill the blobs, takes too long.