Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Brother Entropy posted:

there's nothing wrong with being an idiot or a sex maniac
What about both at once?

Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, B99 was what I was thinking of. All the characters you're meant to like as people are good, generally cool people, and all the people you're not meant to like as people are Hitchcock.

Gina's a bit of a contentious subject of a character, but the show's level-headed about her, calling her out when she's being a jerk and giving her due credit when she does good, all of it to about the right level. The show around a jerk character treating them like they actually are a jerk helps things go down way easier.
  • Red Forman
  • Uncle Phil
  • All of the Golden Girls
  • Dan Connor
  • Mac Robinson
  • Terry Jeffords
The Cast of Happy Endings

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Still watching the DVD set of Golden Girls my wife got me for Christmas. I must be approaching my tenth go through. It aged well. Like the episode where Rose is addicted to prescription painkillers, but the Girls convince her to go a night without them. They all stay up with her all night, and just when Rose is about to give up she realizes it is morning and she made it, and she can live without painkillers...

... then a day later she's on them again and checks into rehab.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The golden girls retired lives are more exciting and fulfilling than most peoples lives in their prime

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Frasier seems a bit mixed for the most part in that Frasier and even Niles seem like they might actually be pleasant to be around if they weren't trying so goddamn hard. I get the feeling people start going to their parties just to see how they go horribly wrong this time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Caroline in the city was nothing but likeable people

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Frasier seems a bit mixed for the most part in that Frasier and even Niles seem like they might actually be pleasant to be around if they weren't trying so goddamn hard. I get the feeling people start going to their parties just to see how they go horribly wrong this time.

Martin and Roz were cool though.

Frasier is weird, I never watched it religiously but these days if I leave it on instead of channel surfing I recognise the episode about five minutes later. Doesn't happen to anything else from that period. Maybe my local channel just plays the highlights.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zedd posted:

Oh, definitely.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I need to rewatch Happy Endings.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Toshimo posted:

All of the Golden Girls

I can't stand that show because of how much of an arsehole Dorothy is. I watched, like, three episodes and it felt like half her lines were telling Rose to shut up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My mom was telling me that All in the Family and The Jeffersons might be relaunched.

That ain't gonna work.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i'm tired of shows about terrible people. i'm far from a pollyanna but i just want a cool nice character being cool and nice. it's said that writing that sort of thing is harder, but nobody really tries? it's not like you can't have conflict or flawed characters, just make your main characters not be hideous douches we're expected to like

This is why a lot of people still like old shows, like Star Trek, from back before "rear end in a top hat=smart" and "gritty=quality".

However, the show you want to watch is Due South.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
due south:

quote:

Benton Fraser is the archetypal Mountie: dogged, polite, and compulsively truthful. The series often featured his rigid moral code being tested by the cynical realities of Chicago life. Being overly polite, Fraser's best known short quotes were "thank you kindly"; when he found himself in trouble, an understated "oh dear"; and, when faced with contradictory circumstances from other characters, an all-knowing and eloquently stated "understood". More unusual is his encyclopedic knowledge of trivia (attributed to his grandparents having been librarians) and a range of uncanny abilities. These include his ability to sniff and lick refuse from the streets to gain clues about crimes and the way he can fall into a dumpster or other waste heap and emerge completely spotless and unwrinkled.

Although superficially following the police drama format, the comedy derives from outrageous plots, the self-deprecating Canadian and the assertive American stereotypes, and the occasional fantasy elements such as the regular visits paid to the Mountie by his father's ghost, whose advice varies between helpful and absurdly useless. The tone of the show and much of the comedy is derived from Fraser's supernormal detective ability. For instance, in one episode, Fraser tracks down a suspect by smelling the breath of a rat to determine the brand of barbecued ribs it had been eating.

it's about a magical mountie whose power is derived from his kindness. great show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

i'm tired of shows about terrible people. i'm far from a pollyanna but i just want a cool nice character being cool and nice. it's said that writing that sort of thing is harder, but nobody really tries? it's not like you can't have conflict or flawed characters, just make your main characters not be hideous douches we're expected to like

I'm reminded of a statement about Phineas and Ferb, notably created by some guys who came from Family Guy; they wanted to make a cartoon where 'no one is an idiot or a jerk'. Something similar goes for Milo Murphy's Law; for the most part, no characters are made deliberately unpleasant.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Their dad was a pretty good dude even if he was obviously out of his element living with his posh sons. Frasier and Niles could generally be counted on to do the right thing after they spent fifteen minutes faffing around being petty jerks. Niles was just generally pathetic but Frasier seemed to be acting pompous more than actually being pompous to keep up appearances for the people he hung around by necessity. A lot of conflict had to do with people from different classes realizing they ultimately had to get along whether they liked it or not. Martin is a regular working stiff but his sons are highly educated and doing quite well financially. Then you throw Daphne in the mix and poo poo just gets wild.

When they were fighting over the chair it really shows not only how good that show actually was but shows the depth it was willing to go to. I still remember Martin's rant about his chair.

quote:

Okay, I’ll tell you what chair I want. I want the chair I was sitting in when I watched Neil Armstrong take his first step on the moon. And when the US hockey team beat the Russians in the ‘80 Olympics. I want the chair I was sitting in the night you called me to tell me I had a grandson. I want the chair I was in all those nights, when your mother used to wake me up with a kiss after I’d fallen asleep in front of the television. You know, I still fall asleep in it. And every once in a while, when I wake up, I still expect your mother to be there, ready to lead me off to bed... Oh, never mind. It’s only a chair. Come on, Eddie.

It was just such a perfect "you guys are losing sight of what actually matters, you know that?" moment.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Niles was just generally pathetic but Frasier seemed to be acting pompous more than actually being pompous to keep up appearances for the people he hung around by necessity.
Frasier is written oddly because he's both the posh blowhard and someone the audience can identify with. So you get episodes where he's waxing eloquently about his vintage bottle of Chateu Jerqôv and then next episode he's in baggy sweats sharing a beer with his dad.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zedd posted:

• Red Forman
  • Uncle Phil
  • All of the Golden Girls
  • Dan Connor
  • Mac Robinson
  • Terry Jeffords

Honestly, I wouldn't want to be around Terry Jeffords for very long, because as friendly and good a person as he is, there's not much conversation I could have with him that wouldn't just end in me being very intimidated.

For my money, the best person in the 99 to just be around and be friends with is Amy Santiago.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

Frasier is written oddly because he's both the posh blowhard and someone the audience can identify with. So you get episodes where he's waxing eloquently about his vintage bottle of Chateu Jerqôv and then next episode he's in baggy sweats sharing a beer with his dad.

I don't really see that as odd; you can really see his dad in him come out from time to time and you can tell that Frasier and Martin do genuinely have each others' backs. You can tell he gets annoyed at how self-absorbed the posh people he hangs around are and really doesn't like it but plays that game because, well, what you gonna do? Of course he genuinely likes fine wine, dining, and ballet and typical posh things but, well, he also became a regular at Cheers. There's always that inner conflict as he's never been entirely in one world or the other.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't want to be around Terry Jeffords for very long, because as friendly and good a person as he is, there's not much conversation I could have with him that wouldn't just end in me being very intimidated.

For my money, the best person in the 99 to just be around and be friends with is Amy Santiago.

An aspect of the cast of 99 that I like is that certain friendships happen because of how unlikely they are, like with Boyle and Rosa - they are sometimes on the same wavelength for completely different reasons to one another, and as a result often keep each other on track, with a great early moment being when Rosa invites him to check out the surveillance tape with Amy and Jake loving, because she wants to make fun of it, and he is just that invested in their relationship - 2 completely different reasons, but with the same idea. Also that exchange is just funny in how it's delivered.

Also the underlying childishness of Holt as brought out by Jake is a really fun contrast to his stoic demeanor and interactions with Kevin. The cast are good at bouncing off one another. Also little things like Holt being a fan of Boyle's food blog is really cute too - most characters mock Boyle's obsessions or are a little perturbed by them when he goes a bit too far, but Holt sees the positive side and appreciates that his blog incorporates mouthfeel.

Also the obvious passion in Kevin and Holt's relationship is really adorable. They are somehow passionately stoic.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My mom was telling me that All in the Family and The Jeffersons might be relaunched.

That ain't gonna work.

geez... i hope they actually have some kind of masterplan for a workable relaunching of the jeffersons if they're actually mad enough to do one; jeffersons was an amazing show for its time and an all time classic but i have no idea how they're going to modernize its special humor without setting everyone's hair on fire

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Frasier benefits from the lead character being a bit self-aware about his issues- he's a pompous blowhard but he's constantly trying to do better and he has a good ethical sense, and as a psychiatrist he often turns the lens on himself. Many of the plots revolve around him being punished for his snobbery, but he's never completely far gone. (Indeed I'd argue all the characters have a bit of that nuance to them, which is what helps the show a lot.)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

That ain't gonna work.
I hear ABC's got a modern Family Matters reboot in the works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slT5WcWNq_s&t=117s

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009
I would point out one important fact to the people saying the B99 characters are good people: all cops are bastards

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

Frasier benefits from the lead character being a bit self-aware about his issues- he's a pompous blowhard but he's constantly trying to do better and he has a good ethical sense, and as a psychiatrist he often turns the lens on himself. Many of the plots revolve around him being punished for his snobbery, but he's never completely far gone. (Indeed I'd argue all the characters have a bit of that nuance to them, which is what helps the show a lot.)

Pretty much, Frasier and Niles are usually seen as engaging in the upper-class lifestyle specifically because they enjoy it, and often implied to actually be fairly decent at it when it's not the focus of an episode where things go wrong. (and the cockatoo episode seems to imply that their guests would actually be a lot more forgiving if they were up front with how things went hilariously wrong this time before they got out of control) They can variously be lampooned, sympathetic and even aspirational.

Still find it funny that someone mentioned the steakhouse that Martin drags the boys to in that one episode would probably be infested with and ruined by hipsters only a few years later.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Karneios posted:

I would point out one important fact to the people saying the B99 characters are good people: all cops are bastards
The show has dealt with this by making every single other officer of the NYPD outside that precinct insanely corrupt.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That ain't gonna work.

They tried to relaunch AITF with 704 Hauser Street. A black family moves into the Bunker's old house. The father was a liberal and the son-in-law was a hard core conservative.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
They managed a decent reboot of One Day at a Time which involved adding race to a show that otherwise didn't have it. Depending on how they worked in social topics with a new Jeffersons, it might be alright.

Unless it's White people moving into a deluxe apartment building populated primarily by minorities. Because you know someone definitely made that pitch.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I don't think they're remaking them in a sense of new series with full seasons; it's just Jimmy Kimmel producing an episode of each with a new cast as a one off.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This is why I've come to appreciate the work of Hayao Miyazaki more and more. He can make a movie where everyone is more or less a good person and treats each other with respect 99% of the time and still make it interesting. Too bad he didn't do sitcoms.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

They managed a decent reboot of One Day at a Time which involved adding race to a show that otherwise didn't have it. Depending on how they worked in social topics with a new Jeffersons, it might be alright.

Unless it's White people moving into a deluxe apartment building populated primarily by minorities. Because you know someone definitely made that pitch.

"Alright boys, how about this? A poor family discovers that they have oil on their useless land and become one of the richest families in America overnight! Then they move to a fancy upper end area and it's a humorous fish out of water story!"
"Like The Jeffersons!"
"Exactly!"

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

That ain't gonna work.

It's happening, or at least a one time back-to-back prime time special is with Woody Harrelson and Marisa Tomei as the Bunkers and Jamie Foxx and Wanda Sykes as the Jeffersons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

We are living in times that resemble the 70s in terms of national malaise, racism, and poo poo hopelessly falling apart.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Until we hit the 60's we're OK.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's happening, or at least a one time back-to-back prime time special is with Woody Harrelson and Marisa Tomei as the Bunkers and Jamie Foxx and Wanda Sykes as the Jeffersons.

I like all those actors, but :randno:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When we get to the 40s do we have massive social programs and kill a bunch of nazis?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FactsAreUseless posted:

The show has dealt with this by making every single other officer of the NYPD outside that precinct insanely corrupt.

Even some of the 99 are terrible in the usual cop ways. Rosa's been written up for police brutality (and that's definitely not the only time she did it), Jake's tried to go Hero Cop and risked delicate situations when doing so, Hitchcock and Scully misappropriated evidence.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

This is why I've come to appreciate the work of Hayao Miyazaki more and more. He can make a movie where everyone is more or less a good person and treats each other with respect 99% of the time and still make it interesting. Too bad he didn't do sitcoms.

and all he had to do was make poo poo magic

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

“I wish more characters were likable and relatable like my cartoons about witches” is not a take I expected to read here today.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

FOX news is gonna have something to say about that casting I'm sure.

A pothead liberal as Archie, and a out lesbian as Weezy.

Wait, is it on FOX?

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Apr 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Great British Baking Show. Also: BBC living history type shows (Time Team, anything with Ruth Goodman), most of which are on youtube. Everyone is so drat nice even when they'e arguing, because they're doing something they really love.