Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A SOF Marine posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot Sabaidee on 6th, across the street from 7-Eleven, and if you can stomach the drive/the people Sawatdy on Bainbridge for Thai options. Family’s is good. Bahn Thai should be avoided.

Nattamit is probably the best, but has really weird hours. Over by Kaiser/Costco/Chuck E. Cheese is Jade Garden, J:oa, Aloha Kitchen, and Seoul Korean BBQ.

I love the Korean place, definitely a good place for a crowd.

Seattle is its own entity altogether and the world is your oyster over there. The shipyard sucks, and if you limit yourself to NBK, you’re hosed. But there are some bright stars nearby that make it more bearable.

Yeah I was just on some short training orders and I blew my per diem on some great food in Seattle. I’ve been meaning to try Seol Korean. Biggest issue is we only get 30 minutes if our GS bosses don’t fall asleep at their desks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah I was just on some short training orders and I blew my per diem on some great food in Seattle. I’ve been meaning to try Seol Korean. Biggest issue is we only get 30 minutes if our GS bosses don’t fall asleep at their desks.

I ended up turning it into general dining advice since I frequently hear/have heard from sailors and other people that dining options are limited and crappy.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

A SOF Marine posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot Sabaidee on 6th, across the street from 7-Eleven, and if you can stomach the drive/the people Sawatdy on Bainbridge for Thai options. Family’s is good. Bahn Thai should be avoided.

Nattamit is probably the best, but has really weird hours. Over by Kaiser/Costco/Chuck E. Cheese is Jade Garden, J:oa, Aloha Kitchen, and Seoul Korean BBQ.

I love the Korean place, definitely a good place for a crowd.

Seattle is its own entity altogether and the world is your oyster over there. The shipyard sucks, and if you limit yourself to NBK, you’re hosed. But there are some bright stars nearby that make it more bearable.

The best food on NBK is the breakfast burritos at the TTF cafe but they're usually gone by 7:30.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

A SOF Marine posted:

I was going to come in here and tell SPUR really loud, but then I saw they closed drat near three years ago (RIP). Metropolitan Grill was stuffy, but a drat good steak.

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I was going to come in here and tell SPUR really loud, but then I saw they closed drat near three years ago (RIP). Metropolitan Grill was stuffy, but a drat good steak.

If you’re looking to secure your place on the guillotine list there’s always Daniel’s Broiler in SLU or Canlis. I don’t think Daniel’s has a dress code, but Canlis does. For less insane prices, but good food there’s Steelhead Diner or The Pink Door as well.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The pink door was excellent.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

M_Gargantua posted:

The true mecca of on base food is the Pearl Harbor bowling alley fried rice omelette

The "J-Galley" curry on base in Sasebo strongly disagrees with this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LingcodKilla posted:

Also has a hell of a view outside if you can go when you can be reasonably sure the clouds won't open up on you.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

A SOF Marine posted:

If you’re looking to secure your place on the guillotine list there’s always Daniel’s Broiler in SLU or Canlis. I don’t think Daniel’s has a dress code, but Canlis does. For less insane prices, but good food there’s Steelhead Diner or The Pink Door as well.

I always found it amusing that Canlis has a dress code, considering that even the orchestra and the opera don't have a dress code in Seattle.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

The "J-Galley" curry on base in Sasebo strongly disagrees with this.

I didn't know what I had with the J-cafe and bento boxes during DSRA.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Half way through the DIY move to Whidbey, camping out in a sketchy Colorado rest stop while the roomate drive the truck god knows where. As I lay here with my head next to a cats litterbox and a flickering parking light blasts my eyes I can only think one thing...

"I really hope I make money on this move"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Half way through the DIY move to Whidbey, camping out in a sketchy Colorado rest stop while the roomate drive the truck god knows where. As I lay here with my head next to a cats litterbox and a flickering parking light blasts my eyes I can only think one thing...

"I really hope I make money on this move"

Ahh hang in there dude. The weather is amazing this time of year.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

Ahh hang in there dude. The weather is amazing this time of year.

Right!?! I'm from Portland so getting back to the NW's climate has been my goal since they sent me to Florida.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Both times I've been to Whidbey it's been quite pleasant weather. Hopefully one of these days I'll get the chance to spend more than a NALO layover there. Supposedly the Growler guys are eager to get some AIC support so I may have to see about setting up a det there for a week or so.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Right!?! I'm from Portland so getting back to the NW's climate has been my goal since they sent me to Florida.

Whidbey Island is run by the Dutch Mafia who care a lot about property values and "the right kind of businesses" and even the strip clubs close at 8pm to ensure that a Wal-Mart won't be built.

Deception Pass gave me vertigo.

Susa
Apr 27, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Tizley's EuroPub in Pulsbo is pretty decent if you don't want to take the ferry from some decent food. Its nice here now that it isn't raining every day.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vriess posted:

Whidbey Island is run by the Dutch Mafia who care a lot about property values and "the right kind of businesses" and even the strip clubs close at 8pm to ensure that a Wal-Mart won't be built.

How am i supposed to make bad decisions in the VIP if that poo poo close by 8pm?

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Viva Miriya posted:

How am i supposed to make bad decisions in the VIP if that poo poo close by 8pm?

Don’t worry there’s actually no strip clubs anywhere on or near Whidbey.

There is a Walmart tho’

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

There’s gotta be some WA law about strip clubs because I can’t believe there’s any around the bases out here.

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

There’s gotta be some WA law about strip clubs because I can’t believe there’s any around the bases out here.

The Main Stage/Toys Topless shutdown years ago but was in Gorst. I’m not a strip club guy but my understanding is they can’t sell alcohol or something and I think the dancers have to be like four feet away.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

In WA they can’t touch you, like three foot rule, if alcohol is served.
So they have places(or had) like Honeys that was dry(except for the parking lot) where it was a lap dance and private room kinda place. With $7 coca colas and ice teas. It was kinda gross there and had been the subject of many vice busts due to the de facto prostitution going on there.
One of my old agencies got in the news by doing busts there but having actual sexual contact with the pro’s to establish PC for the arrests... lol.

It was actually owned by a mob guy(now dead) and finally got shut down years ago. All the girls moved over to being bikini baristas and a few years back there was a big hub bub in everett and around there when it turned out girls were turning tricks at the coffee shacks(or in their storage sheds. Yup.

There was a real lovely one by Bremerton in the early 2000s too. Don’t recall the name.

The Dutch mafia keeps them off Whidbey by not issuing business licenses. I always though a go-go bar would do almost as well near the base; beer only, bar food, waitresses in daisy dukes and bikini tops but nothing yet.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That’s terrible. Why does this state hate freedom so much?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

Come on down to Oregon, we got strip clubs galore down here, but you can't pump your own gas*

(Except in random places you can)

Vriess posted:

Man Dutch Bros is expanding their power base it seems :downs:

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

In 1987 there was an outbreak of antibiotic resistant pink-eye in Seattle and Tacoma. It was determined by the state health department that 90% of the cases were from three Seattle and Tacoma strip clubs and the maneuver known in strip-club vernacular as the “Booty-Slap” when done close to or against a face. The governor at the time, Booth Gardner declared a state of emergency and for a year the 3-foot rule was enacted; later, to prevent its lapse the legislature sent a bill up and Gardner signed it.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Additionally most(or many at least) of the ti-tay bars in the area were owned by Frank Colacurcio Sr. who was the organized crime guy. He was a pretty gnarly dude and was big in pimpin for a long time... apparently his nephew wrote a book at some point too. When the Feds finally got him his empire shut down for the most part or changed hands.

Dingleberry fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 24, 2019

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1120889254513729536

That's pretty cool

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Man Dutch Bros is expanding their power base it seems :downs:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Thank god I’m not headed to 2nd MARDIV now because fuuuck that.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

JFC I'm so glad I'm not in.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I love the allcaps words
I love the unironic use of "warriors" instead of marines
I love that the 911 force is apparently not the Police Force

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I just love how the general called out Terminal Lance specifically when he said he knew people were going to give him poo poo for the new policy.

Also got to Whidbey and hot drat that housing market is kind of bonkers.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I just love how the general called out Terminal Lance specifically when he said he knew people were going to give him poo poo for the new policy.

Also got to Whidbey and hot drat that housing market is kind of bonkers.

Gotta shout out to the haters and the losers to hedge your losing bet.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Commander of 2nd MARDIV (who forgot about breakfast chow if you read the schedule) doubled down on this and said that instilling discipline is necessary because one Marine "killed himself" in Afghanistan because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt when the IED went off.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Speaking of that, it looks like there isn't a Marine thread anymore? Did they all die/get out? Future Navy threads should be DEPT of the Navy threads from now on maybe?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

DustyNuts posted:

Speaking of that, it looks like there isn't a Marine thread anymore? Did they all die/get out? Future Navy threads should be DEPT of the Navy threads from now on maybe?

Marine thread is on cruise right now, last I checked it was in the motorcycle sub forum.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DustyNuts posted:

It's the motorcycle forum but no one posts and I don't want to talk to myself so it sits unused.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

McNally posted:

Commander of 2nd MARDIV (who forgot about breakfast chow if you read the schedule) doubled down on this and said that instilling discipline is necessary because one Marine "killed himself" in Afghanistan because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt when the IED went off.

Did he complete seatbelt awareness training?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
ran into one of the rdc chiefs i knew at medical

he was extremely chill, which i guess i shouldn't be surprised but you know, when the only thing you know about a guy is that he loves to knife hand and yell at you, you just assume he's always like that

he also told me to "never go to rtc unless you hate your family" so i guess i know what im not doing for shore duty

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

boy are my arms tired posted:

ran into one of the rdc chiefs i knew at medical

he was extremely chill, which i guess i shouldn't be surprised but you know, when the only thing you know about a guy is that he loves to knife hand and yell at you, you just assume he's always like that

he also told me to "never go to rtc unless you hate your family" so i guess i know what im not doing for shore duty

I can believe that. The hours are pretty lovely for shore duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
RTC is fine if you're not pushing boots. My brothers a SAMI over there and he works like 4 hours a day.