Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pretty much every large drug store in the country carries homeopathic poo poo, it's a nationwide problem. Even buying something as simple as cough drops you'll find some with homeopathic dose labels

Likewise, supplements, which are about as bad when it comes to quackery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's also in the baby medicine sections. :(

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
This is pretty far off-topic, but can someone explain how homeopathic bullshit became so widespread and acceptable? It's demonstrably worthless and makes claims which can potentially encourage people to choose it over treatments that are actually safe and effective. It seems like an absolutely massive regulatory failure.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
because a certain senator got homeopathic products to be exempt from the fda when they created the fda

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Paradoxish posted:

This is pretty far off-topic, but can someone explain how homeopathic bullshit became so widespread and acceptable? It's demonstrably worthless and makes claims which can potentially encourage people to choose it over treatments that are actually safe and effective. It seems like an absolutely massive regulatory failure.

There's tons of things like this? People are larded up with cognitive biases. Anti-Vax, Veganism, Reflexology, Chiropractic, Acupuncture, Christianity.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Religion has numerous benefits actually.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Religion has numerous benefits actually.

So does taking a sugar pill if you believe it will make you better.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Paradoxish posted:

I remember reading an article that suggested that bullshit remedies have an advantage over effective ones because the very fact that they're ineffective means people will take them for a longer period of time, and thus have longer to evangelize, as opposed to real medicine that may quickly cure you (depending on the specific illness and medicine of course).

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Celexi posted:

I have seen those homeopathic remedies in california in every grocery store I been to, it's a thing here.
Your state can't fall into ocean fast enough.

Paradoxish posted:

Selling 1oz of water for $25 is extremely profitable

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Also the placebo effect is very powerful.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, guys, I get why homeopathic stuff is sold and why people buy it. The point I was getting at is that it's a massive regulatory failure to allow its sale given that it's often marketed as something with clinical benefits for real conditions. That's without even getting into the fact that some homeopathic products actually do contain measurable quantities of substances besides water.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
like I mentioned, it was due to some senator lobbying for homeopathic exceptions on fda's creation or something, the FDA can't do anything that is homeopathic as the law prevents it, and yes the law should be changed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, guys, I get why homeopathic stuff is sold and why people buy it. The point I was getting at is that it's a massive regulatory failure to allow its sale given that it's often marketed as something with clinical benefits for real conditions. That's without even getting into the fact that some homeopathic products actually do contain measurable quantities of substances besides water.

You think that's bad, the UK had government funded homeopathic "medicine" and "hospitals" until the early 2010s.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Paradoxish posted:

All it would take is a clear warning that says "This product has undergone no formal testing and has never been proven to work", but who cares if useless shite is sold to customers so long as someone makes money.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Celexi posted:

because a certain senator got homeopathic products to be exempt from the fda when they created the fda

Orrin Hatch, if I'm not mistaken. Also I got him confused with another guy who turned blue from taking colloidal silver when I went to look him up and the very first google result is from PUREST COLLOIDS claiming the whole thing was a media smear job. Gee thanks, algorithms :shepicide:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Orrin Hatch, if I'm not mistaken. Also I got him confused with another guy who turned blue from taking colloidal silver when I went to look him up and the very first google result is from PUREST COLLOIDS claiming the whole thing was a media smear job. Gee thanks, algorithms :shepicide:

Royal Copeland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_S._Copeland

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Man, I had no idea it went back this far. I was thinking of Hatch's 1994 act that gutted regulations of supplements.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Paradoxish posted:

in the grand scheme of things homeopathy has been around for millenia and it took well into the 1900s for widespread eclectical medicine to be stopped

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

in the grand scheme of things homeopathy has been around for millenia and it took well into the 1900s for widespread eclectical medicine to be stopped

Nah, we know this douchebag invented it in the 1790s and is even to this day revered in the name and practices of several otherwise reputable medical institutions around the world.
Unless you're mistakenly doing what a lot of alt med sellers want you to do, and lumping in general herb poo poo as "homeopathy".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

Nah, we know this douchebag invented it in the 1790s and is even to this day revered in the name and practices of several otherwise reputable medical institutions around the world.
Unless you're mistakenly doing what a lot of alt med sellers want you to do, and lumping in general herb poo poo as "homeopathy".

I am being a bit loose with using homeopathy for non scientific medicine. The point still stands. Modern scientific medicine forcing homeopathy its ilk out is still a historically recent phenomena and homeopathy and the such still has managed to maintain a supportive minority in spite of it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I am being a bit loose with using homeopathy for non scientific medicine. The point still stands.

No it does not stand. Homeopathy is special in its degree of non-alignment with not just medical fact, but physics in general. Many other "alternative" treatments are things like poor quality symptom treatments for which real medicine has treatments of a root cause, or things that do nothing but it makes sense how they could work.

Homeopathy relies on leaping to "memory" effects to justify its dilution principles because early 19th century science had already figured out dilutions prescribed would result in 0 substance.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

JustJeff88 posted:

All it would take is a clear warning that says "This product has undergone no formal testing and has never been proven to work", but who cares if useless shite is sold to customers so long as someone makes money.

Just disallow health claims the manufacturer can't prove in a double-blind trial. Beyond some basics the law specifies. Would help with all kinds of other products (yoghurt, soft drinks) making dubious health claims as well.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lambert posted:

Just disallow health claims the manufacturer can't prove in a double-blind trial. Beyond some basics the law specifies. Would help with all kinds of other products (yoghurt, soft drinks) making dubious health claims as well.

One of the issues with a lot of those dubious health food claims is that a lot of them are unfortunately truthful statements. All it takes is one study coming out that somewhere says that people who eat *thing* on the regular have a slightly lower risk of *health problem* and suddenly everything that contains *thing* plasters MAY REDUCE RISK OF *HEALTH PROBLEM* all over the box. It's misleading but it isn't actually a lie. Yeah, it might. But it also might not do you any good if the benefits are small. It might also be possible that people who have genes that make them less prone to *health problem* almost always come with genes that makes them like the taste of *thing.* Of course it may also be that people who are eating a lot of *thing* only have so much space in their diets so eating *thing* automatically means you're eating less crap. You can only eat so much, after all, and if you up something that's not bad for you there's a good chance you reduce something that is bad for you.

Like how candy often says some variation of fat free on it as if that's actually a meaningful statement in any way. Of course it's loving fat free. It's just a blob of sugar. Of course that also goes back to the days of "if you don't want to be fat then just don't eat any fat! Simple!" I forget where that nonsense started but it led to stupid rear end fad diets that told you you could eat all the not fat calories you wanted so long as you laid off the fat and you'd magically lose weight even if you didn't exercise because reasons. It obviously turned out to be bullshit as your body doesn't really give a crap where the calories came from it isn't going to throw away perfectly good calories if you get extra so into your fat they go.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Like how candy often says some variation of fat free on it as if that's actually a meaningful statement in any way. Of course it's loving fat free. It's just a blob of sugar. Of course that also goes back to the days of "if you don't want to be fat then just don't eat any fat! Simple!" I forget where that nonsense started but it led to stupid rear end fad diets that told you you could eat all the not fat calories you wanted so long as you laid off the fat and you'd magically lose weight even if you didn't exercise because reasons. It obviously turned out to be bullshit as your body doesn't really give a crap where the calories came from it isn't going to throw away perfectly good calories if you get extra so into your fat they go.

It started back in the sixties. People were trying to figure out why heart disease was on the rise, one theory was high fat diets, and the sugar industry paid to promote that theory because it took the heat off their products.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Real medicine is loving expensive and makes people feel stupid. If I can pay 1/10th of the insane amount my doctor charges to tell me I'm wrong and stupid and need to take care of myself, to get to tell myself I'm right about my own body and believe I have a fix, then; well, that logic seems pretty clear why so many choose that route.

Healthcare is already a sham, homeopathic nonsense is just a second level grift.

I had an aunt homeopathy her cancer into the grave, the poo poo hits a little close to home.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

BrandorKP posted:

It's also in the baby medicine sections. :(

I have a high school friend who is into homeopathic poo poo (and of course she’s the “CEO of her own business”, some sort of MLM stuff that involves selling to everyone you meet)

For the most part I could roll my eyes and change the subject — even when she was trying to sell her husband’s mother some bullshit oils for her cancer treatment pain it was pretty funny as she got told off.

But then she got pregnant and had a baby, and mentioned something causally offhand about her baby’s chiropractor making ‘adjustments’ and it really ruined my day as I had a mini crisis about whether I should (or could) do anything. :smith:

She just has a willful gullibility to people who talk that language (she also ended up with a lovely timeshare in her 20s) and I don’t quite understand it — she was a much better student than my slacker rear end in school.

Maybe I should just be happy that she’s gotten her kid vaccinated and hates Trump?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I'm still trying to figure out where McDonald's fits into this. Do they even have tomatoes on most of their popular burgers?

McDonald's switched to okay tomatoes that yield to human teeth after popularizing the poo poo ones because the poo poo ones got so disgusting that people stopped eating at McDonald's and they had to change their supply as part of a big move to make their food more edible and less characterized by the phrase "hosed up chunks."

Also, yes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

EdithUpwards posted:

McDonald's switched to okay tomatoes that yield to human teeth after popularizing the poo poo ones because the poo poo ones got so disgusting that people stopped eating at McDonald's and they had to change their supply as part of a big move to make their food more edible and less characterized by the phrase "hosed up chunks."

Also, yes.

Do you have a link for this, because I'd like to read about it.

Speaking of links, maybe I missed it in the thread, but the Sears Libertarian is being sued:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/18/sears-sues-eddie-lampert-steven-mnuchin-others-for-alleged-thefts.html

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 23, 2019

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

wrong retail thread sry

snoo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 25, 2019

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Because somewhere along the line, supplement grifters managed to permanently keep their products away from being regulated by the FDA. Like they fight that poo poo tooth and nail against every attempt to change the status quo.

Frontline did a great documentary about this several years back.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

https://www.technologyreview.com/f/613434/amazons-system-for-tracking-its-warehouse-workers-can-automatically-fire-them/

I, for one, welcome our robotic overlords.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Because somewhere along the line, supplement grifters managed to permanently keep their products away from being regulated by the FDA. Like they fight that poo poo tooth and nail against every attempt to change the status quo.

That still seems like an explanation for stuff like herbal medicine. Not homeopathic medicine. It makes perfect sense something like herbs or patent medicine or any of that snake oil would be common. Homeopathic medicine specifically is mind boggling. As it's weird anyone hears about it and says "yeah that sounds right' (and I think as in this thread the answer is people just don't know what it is and take homeopathic to just be a synonym for any alternative medicine. )

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That still seems like an explanation for stuff like herbal medicine. Not homeopathic medicine. It makes perfect sense something like herbs or patent medicine or any of that snake oil would be common. Homeopathic medicine specifically is mind boggling. As it's weird anyone hears about it and says "yeah that sounds right' (and I think as in this thread the answer is people just don't know what it is and take homeopathic to just be a synonym for any alternative medicine. )

The basis for homeopathic medicine is like the opposite of logic. Less = more, opposite = cure.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Homeopathic medicine was very popular in the 19th century, and had a good century of it being well entrenched by the time you had the homeopathic "doctor" senator demanding the FDA include the established homeopathic "drugs" as valid drugs alongside the real medicine. From that point forward, the FDA basically couldn't crack down on anyone selling it as long as the "drugs" matched up with the preparations. And of course since homeopathic prescribers could point to "this drug approved by the FDA" info it maintained its reputation with the public that still believed in it.

It wasn't hard for homeopathic medicine to seem legit to the uneducated in the 19th century due to general poor state of medical practice then - just look at how President Garfield ended up dead because the best doctors available couldn't resist doing dumb practices of their own to treat a simple gunshot wound - and as you roll into the 20th century you still had tons of barely educated "doctors" around because there wasn't solid medical licensing nationwide until around World War II plus most doctors could get grandfathered in even if their training was "I read some books in 1910 and I've been practicing medicine out in Farmington ever since".

These days, homeopathic medicine mostly survives because they were able to tie themselves in to all the big alt-med stuff of the 60s and 70s, things which usually at least have more basis in reality than homeopathy proper. You combine that with how the FDA basically still had to say the long-standing homeopathic formulas counted as valid tested medicines the same way as aspirin or penicilin were? You have a pretty solid way to keep selling your homeopathic bullshit to the subset of the population who's receptive.

And that's just for the US. In the UK you had the NHS forced to allow and pay for homeopathic 'medicine' and even 'homeopathic hospitals' up til the 2010s, in large part because you had dipshit princes and nobility who strongly believed in it. Prince Charles is still trying to push it to this day: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/01/17/professor-reignites-war-prince-charles-homeopathy-support/

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

It wasn't hard for homeopathic medicine to seem legit to the uneducated in the 19th century due to general poor state of medical practice then - just look at how President Garfield ended up dead because the best doctors available couldn't resist doing dumb practices of their own to treat a simple gunshot wound - and as you roll into the 20th century you still had tons of barely educated "doctors" around because there wasn't solid medical licensing nationwide until around World War II plus most doctors could get grandfathered in even if their training was "I read some books in 1910 and I've been practicing medicine out in Farmington ever since".

Humeral medicine isn't right, as a man in 2019 I know that, but it at least sounds vaguely plausible if I don't know anything. If I met an alien and they started telling me their biology and it had issues with various medical treatments to increase and decrease the presence of various things in their body that could sound at least like something. Homeopathic medicine is so weird because nothing about it sounds like a thing that is right, nothing in anyone's experiance has ever or would ever work like that. Like you can get some people with quinine sorta kinda a little bit looking like it works like that with malaria, but it feels like such an obvious scam compared to any other fake or folk medicine.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Do you have a link for this, because I'd like to read about it.

Speaking of links, maybe I missed it in the thread, but the Sears Libertarian is being sued:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/18/sears-sues-eddie-lampert-steven-mnuchin-others-for-alleged-thefts.html
So I'm on my phone and it's next to impossible to post links, but I googled it and it does seem like they somewhat are trying to have better food sources. Obvs it might and probably is all marketing bullshit but there ya go.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Humeral medicine isn't right, as a man in 2019 I know that, but it at least sounds vaguely plausible if I don't know anything. If I met an alien and they started telling me their biology and it had issues with various medical treatments to increase and decrease the presence of various things in their body that could sound at least like something. Homeopathic medicine is so weird because nothing about it sounds like a thing that is right, nothing in anyone's experiance has ever or would ever work like that. Like you can get some people with quinine sorta kinda a little bit looking like it works like that with malaria, but it feels like such an obvious scam compared to any other fake or folk medicine.

In seriousness, at the time it often sold itself as "you know how we give you cowpox so you don't get smallpox? did you know it works the same for literally everything?". And homeopaths would also claim the dilution and mixing was about making the treatments more pure so they worked better.
And it didn't hurt things that homeopathic medicine was often "diluted" in high grade alcohol directly, or your doc would advise you to mix it in with such things. Similar to many other scam medicine of the time, you'd definitely feel something.

Really the modern high insistence on water memory and really insane dilutions from the practitioners? That's more of a reaction to how people became more educated over time, and so the homeopaths had to start coming up with more excuses. It's also why you see a lot less of the traditional tricks like serving your "medicine" in a large volume of high strength alcohol.

A 19th century or early 20th century "homeopath" would even use quite a bit of what we could consider real medicine today, and sub in their bullshit meds for only the more complicated things to treat. As such their existing practice would involve a sizable amount of real treatment, which build trust, which means when they're begging you to buy their bullshit meds you don't see it as fake. Doctor Jimmy wouldn't lie to us!

Segue
May 23, 2007

I think a lot of people just assume homeopathic medicine is an offshoot of natural herbal remedies and don't actually know all that much about the dilution and active ingredients.

To them it just sounds like a scientific name for alternative medicine so they pick up a bottle. Though, yes, there was the person I explained homeopathy to who was still convinced it was legit because "that's how vaccines work".

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

All they really have to do to make the distinction and immediately shut down any and all regulation is to call each 'dose' a 'serving' and then it's magically not medical in any way shape or form. I am simplifying this a bit but I am not kidding. That Frontline doc I mentioned went into this. These people are extremely crafty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

As a dev, I always wonder how amoral or immoral you have to be to build this kind of system and not wonder what the human repercussions are going to be.