Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Doltos posted:

me matt zerella, me hate book, me love disappointing tv

The shOw is fine, the books were fine except the 5th which was 100times worse than anything that's happened on the show post book.

I don't love the show, I'm here to see the only end we're gonna get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the negative nancys march south upon the thread

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Xanderkish posted:

What is the option for "None of the above" and/or "Oh god please stop putting sex scenes on my prestige television I just want to watch people brood about their emotions no more boobs please."

I agree but I thought of the pun "Arya price" and wanted to post it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Matt Zerella posted:

The shOw is fine, the books were fine except the 5th which was 100times worse than anything that's happened on the show post book.

I don't mind the show going south, it's still good television. I just want more action if there's only seven episodes left.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

5th book had the excellent Cersei POV and was thus better than the 4th

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I was sort of distracted during the scene where Sam gives Jorah his sword. Why did he do that? Doesn't Sam want his family's sword?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

hayden. posted:

I was sort of distracted during the scene where Sam gives Jorah his sword. Why did he do that? Doesn't Sam want his family's sword?
he can't swordfight worth a drat, best give it to someone who can use it better in the zombie apocalypse

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

hayden. posted:

Probably operating on they all gonna die so this may help. Also he said he did it because Jorah’s brother (nights watch commander) taught him to be a good man.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Doltos posted:

I don't mind the show going south, it's still good television. I just want more action if there's only seven episodes left.

I can agree with this. Like I said, get to the fun stuff. But hell, I'm happy for Arya getting her cheeks clapped before she's about to die in battle. Probably one of the more relatable things on the show in the last few years.

The reunions are fanservicey, sure but whatever, it had some good moments and bad. It's still infinitely better than having to watch previews for lesbian landlady show.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The feel good of this episode and the soulcrushing of next episode will only truly be felt by those binge watching them back to back for the first time in a couple of months.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

hayden. posted:

Basically Sam felt there is nothing he can due to truly repay the debt he owes Jorah's father, so by giving him Hearthsbane it repays a small amount.

I liked the part where he tells Dany that Tyrion makes mistakes, but he owns up to them,. and learns from them, something that is honestly rare in the show, though I think Sam is smarter and would probably make a better hand.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If you want gross, picture GRRMs writing of the Arya Gendry sex scene :barf:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Also it's cool because when Jorah ran away to not get killed by Ned for being a slaver, he left his own family's sword behind instead of taking it. That sword, Longclaw, is now carried by Jon.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I've been waiting ages to find out the backstory to Tormund's Giantsbane moniker and it delivered. That's probably the hardest I've laughed at anything in the show in all 8 seasons.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Raccooon posted:

What are you gonna do? People like titties.

First step is my gofundme to digitally alter all visible nipples in the show and replace them with tasteful leaves.

Edit: I would do this naturally and in a way that is lore friendly, of course. We would also digitally add many more trees onto every scene.

Xanderkish fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 22, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

hayden. posted:

The sword is haunted so to get out of the curse Sam pawned it off on Jorah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

My favorite part was how Arya had to draw Gendry a picture of a spear but with the pointy bit on both ends. :downs:

This whole ~my special magic weapon~ plot is so dumb.

Arya is a badass assassin, but her inventing a new weapon and fighting style out of nowhere and it being effective is just super cheesy. Nobody in Westeros ever thought of "spear, but both ends" before?

And conflicts this large aren't really where an assassin is effective. This is a numbers game. Having a special twirly staff spear shouldn't really make much of a difference in a battle with thousands of people.

But you just loving know she's gonna get a scene next episode where magically the night king is by himself in the middle of the battlefield, about to kill Jon, and Arya shows up and does a twirly dance and kills him.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Basically Sam felt there is nothing he can due to truly repay the debt he owes Jorah's father, so by giving him Hearthsbane it repays a small amount.

I liked the part where he tells Dany that Tyrion makes mistakes, but he owns up to them,. and learns from them, something that is honestly rare in the show, though I think Sam is smarter and would probably make a better hand.

What debt does Sam owe Jorah's father? Does Sam somehow blame himself for that death? I mean he sort of hosed up sending crows that one time?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rewatching and man, that look on Danny's face when Sansa embraces Theon is pretty good. Biiiiiiitch

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Arya is a badass assassin, but her inventing a new weapon and fighting style out of nowhere and it being effective is just super cheesy. Nobody in Westeros ever thought of "spear, but both ends" before?

And conflicts this large aren't really where an assassin is effective. This is a numbers game. Having a special twirly staff spear shouldn't really make much of a difference in a battle with thousands of people.

But you just loving know she's gonna get a scene next episode where magically the night king is by himself in the middle of the battlefield, about to kill Jon, and Arya shows up and does a twirly dance and kills him.

she literally trained with weapons like that in braavos at the house of black and white

she wants one with the special magic spear tips on it

what is wrong with your brain

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah people a continent away never have unique weapons and fighting styles

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

hayden. posted:

What debt does Sam owe Jorah's father? Does Sam somehow blame himself for that death? I mean he sort of hosed up sending crows that one time?

"He made me a man." it's a debt of honor.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

hayden. posted:

He straight up says he taught him to be a man, to stand up for himself.

Also, Lady Mormont and her armor.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Oh ok, thanks. I couldn't hear the dialogue when I watched.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

hayden. posted:

It's too heavy for Sam to wave around.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

she literally trained with weapons like that in braavos at the house of black and white

she wants one with the special magic spear tips on it

what is wrong with your brain

She trained to be an assassin ninja who disguises her face and stabs people unexpectedly in whorehouses, not a front-line battlefield warrior.

The black and white training was more about being beaten down and using mundane weapons and your different senses, feels like a retcon to say its just a super cool way to murder people all the time

Why isn't she training other people to fight like that? I guess it would take too long. Still feels super contrived.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

She trained to be an assassin ninja who disguises her face and stabs people unexpectedly in whorehouses, not a front-line battlefield warrior.

The black and white training was more about being beaten down and using mundane weapons and your different senses, feels like a retcon to say its just a super cool way to murder people all the time

Why isn't she training other people to fight like that? I guess it would take too long. Still feels super contrived.
she literally, literally trained to fight with staffs in braavos, dude

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

twistedmentat posted:

He straight up says he taught him to be a man, to stand up for himself.

Also, Lady Mormont and her armor.

That little scene between Jorah and Lady Mormont was awesome by the way

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Matt Zerella posted:

If you want gross, picture GRRMs writing of the Arya Gendry sex scene :barf:

Considering that Arya is still 11 in the last book, yeah.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

She also trained with the girl with staffs. This isn't hard.

Rambo can build booby traps and poo poo but he still goes back to guns in the end.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you really believe this.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The dumbest part of the war council wasn't sams speech it was the director showing us the kings wood when bran says he'll wait there. Thanks dude, I had no goddamn idea where the place where we just were and is in a ton of episodes is.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

teagone posted:

Of course not.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I was literally making a mental list of People Who Are Going To Die In The Next Couple Episodes. So far, I've got Theon, Ser Jorah, Jaime, Pod, and Davos.

Theon is WAY up at number one, because there is no loving WAY he survives a confrontation with the Night King in the godswood.

The night king kicks theon repeatedly in the nards and gets so frustrated at the result that he goes back north to brood

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It certainly feels strange that the big baddie might lose next episode. Unless Dany will be the big baddie. Seems strange that the Night King might lose and Euron Greyjoy is still dicking around.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

lezard_valeth posted:

I work the Sunday night shifts in a pharmacy. For the most part it's pretty chill, but enough people come that I can't view the episode without having to pause every 10 mins.

Decided the best next option was to read goons reaction.

Completely lost my poo poo laughing when the Arya/Gendry scene reactions started.

A customer was sideglancing at me from the shampoo isle like :chloe:
I work Sunday nights at a college library (which for some reason is open on Easter). Last week I enjoyed everyone's comments. This week I got pissy about Arya/Gendry spoilers and spent most of the 9:00-10:00 hour weeding the history section. Two more weeks before the summer hours start and I'm not working late on weekends anymore.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Matt Zerella posted:

The dumbest part of the war council wasn't sams speech it was the director showing us the kings wood when bran says he'll wait there. Thanks dude, I had no goddamn idea where the place where we just were and is in a ton of episodes is.

I couldn’t even understand what he said and I watched it twice. :3:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
The weirdest part of this thread, and presumably of other threads, are when people get so upset with the show that they start coming up with predictions they hate for what the show will do next that will piss them off.

It's so weird to me. It's like the opposite of fan fiction. Hate fiction?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JT Jag posted:

she literally, literally trained to fight with staffs in braavos, dude

I get that its a callback, dude. But it feels cheesy and contrived to use that training in this context.

I guess it depends upon what happens next episode, but spending this much time on it...

teagone posted:

You think they're doing all this buildup of the drawing and her asking him to make it and they're NOT going to feature it in a big way during the battle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Alec Eiffel posted:

It certainly feels strange that the big baddie might lose next episode. Unless Dany will be the big baddie. Seems strange that the Night King might lose and Euron Greyjoy is still dicking around.
Either the Night King wins and the survivors gently caress off to the Iron Isles, or he loses and Dany pulls a heel turn, I see no other possibilities