Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

I think their objection to Steam/Epic is based on objecting to involving a third party in their business on principle rather than actually based on the practical parts of those platforms.

Weren't they using some Yahoo storefront that looked straight out of last century for RTW1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Yooper posted:

What are people like Matrix or Paradox doing in this same situation? I assume my copy of AGEOD's Thirty Year War has some sort of protection? God forbid anyone would want to pirate it.

Also the irony of a game about naval warfare dealing with pirates does make me chuckle. They should just make it so if you are detected pirating it then every boat you design is a galleon with carronades and cannons.

AGEOD has serials. They don't activate online as far as I know, and if you install through Steam it inputs the code automatically so you never have to worry about it, but they have removed publicly-shared serials with patches before, iirc.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

OddObserver posted:

Weren't they using some Yahoo storefront that looked straight out of last century for RTW1?

They still are

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

OddObserver posted:

Tythas posted:

They still are

Yeah this whole thing doesn’t mean they got a new storefront, they’re just adding another step to the purchase process and automating the actual downloading. You get the download as soon as you put in your credit card info, then the guy who runs the store still has to manually a) apply the discount for RtW1 owners, if applicable, and then b) email you your product key for you to put in before you hit the automatic “okay you’ve played enough” timer in RtW2.

I actually remember one other game that used a similar DRM system and it was the original Strategic Command from 2002. You could download it for free and you got 300 minutes to play without the code.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
And now they've gone and locked the thread, ending with a trio of admin posts reiterating that 1 pirated copy = 1 lost sale and that's why they need you to manually mail them your mac address. Classy.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
They locked their thread. I was in the middle of replying to a [non-dev] guy who said:

quote:

Say you weave a basket, and it takes four hours to weave the basket. You determine the cost of the basket for sale will be $40. Your labor per hour to make the basket was $10. If someone steals the basket, then you make $0 and all of the labor hours you put into making the basket are lost, they're now worth $0. Say you make 40 baskets, and sell each at $40 dollars, if someone steals one of your baskets, that you produced, you just lost one fortieth of the value.

as if he thinks you gotta code up each copy of a game you sell :negative:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 22, 2019

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
idk why people are even talking about "ackshully piracy and theft is different" as if it actually mattered to anyone besides scoring some pedantic points, this goes for all sides

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Because their whole reason for adding this new DRM is that they noticed RTW was pirated and concluded they needed this to save their sales.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Wooper posted:

idk why people are even talking about "ackshully piracy and theft is different" as if it actually mattered to anyone besides scoring some pedantic points, this goes for all sides
Because the devs themselves kept bringing it back up as a counter to "yes but why are you using this uniquely inconvenient authentication system".

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Warship NWS posted:

If they are not willing to pay for it why did they bother downloading it? So we should insult those that are nice enough to pay to play by allowing others to steal it and then possibly eat up our time with support?

Sorry.. not buying that argument. That would be no less then asking for services your not willing to pay for because you found a way to get out of paying. There is no justifiable argument here, none.

A while back several publishers counted 20-35% sales losses though "call in" codes built into their software .. and the gamers still played the game. That is basically giving the middle finger to those that did pay.

Sadly.. the pirating continued in a few cases where the codes were deactivated.. and they simply did it again. Point being, not all pirates do so for kicks.. many do it to get out of paying.. regardless of price.

If the pirate plays the game then the game sales took a hit.. end of story, and there is no excusing that fact.
:cripes: this guy doesnt understand people or the internet

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like how he doesn't want to tell us how pirates can make money on games. They burn cracked copies of the game to discs and sell them. Wow how esoteric :confused:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

They locked the thread because everyone had a problem with it and it wasn't how they wanted

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Yo anyone interested in Rule the Waves 2?

I got copies right here $5.

It comes on 20 floppies.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wooper posted:

Yo anyone interested in Rule the Waves 2?

I got copies right here $5.

It comes on 20 floppies.

Rtw1 was only 16mb so 20 seems a bit much.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

this is RTW 2 bro

it has carriers

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they didn't put in folding wings so the file size is much greater

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Lmao what a trainwreck.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
tenbux says that the new code is just a simple cipher or whatev of your macaddress that will be instantly figured out when two or three people share them

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

tenbux says that the new code is just a simple cipher or whatev of your macaddress that will be instantly figured out when two or three people share them

IDK that seems to require coding skill and security knowledge which the dev's don't have. Their forums aren't even HTTPS for gods sake

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tythas posted:

IDK that seems to require coding skill and security knowledge which the dev's don't have. Their forums aren't even HTTPS for gods sake

Worth remembering that the store and forums are run by a different guy than the one making the game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ugh, why must all this bullshit surround a cool game I want to and am going to play.

loving grog devs. :doh:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking about picking up RTW2 because this thread is so high on it and even though it the interface looks like hell I figured it's worth a shot.

But this sounds like a huge pain in the rear end, I can't imagine any casual fan ever buying this.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Yeah, I want to buy this game but I do not want to reward this mentality they have about piracy and how best to protect their IP. Might be a pass for me now. Which is a shame because I am really enthused by the idea of the game.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I was going to buy RTW2 on release day but now I'll just pirate it to make a statement.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Annnd we're getting a little close to :files: here.

Pull up thread, pull up.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9AbeALNVkk

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
lol some people are just so bad at this

just say we as a company have looked into alternatives suitable for our small hobby and have concluded this is the way forward. Our apologies for any understandable frustration this decision may cause and boom...you shut up, publish the game and this dumb-as-hell tantrum goes away.

but no, let's actually go online and say the silent words out loud, over and over: eat poo poo

people can't politely ignore it if you say it out loud!

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Pull up thread, pull up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKM3CsmX-ds

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grey Hunter posted:

Pull up thread, pull up.

discord server when

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i don't think mods really care about talking piracy unless you're actually sharing links

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

discord server when

I have made one here https://discord.gg/TvSMUZV willing to take requests for channels and what not

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
i'm gonna get online and argue with a bunch of reclusive, anti-social grogs (but I repeat myself) about how much smarter i am than them. yes this will be both successful and good for my business.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tythas posted:

I have made one here https://discord.gg/TvSMUZV willing to take requests for channels and what not

Awesome, thanks for this!

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Tythas posted:

:cripes: this guy doesnt understand people or the internet
Or basic economics even.
"Demand curve? What is this witchcraft?"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Update: actually I just got locked out of that Discord?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

Update: actually I just got locked out of that Discord?

Try rejoining now

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tythas posted:

Try rejoining now

Back now. Thanks!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That Discord really doesn’t like me very much.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Pirate Radar posted:

That Discord really doesn’t like me very much.

yeah, it keeps kicking me as well.
ME! Of ALL PEOPLE! THE NERVE!
DOES IT NOT KNOW WHO I AM?

No.... Not famous?..... Inflated sense of self worth?...put it where?.... okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

yeah, it keeps kicking me as well.
ME! Of ALL PEOPLE! THE NERVE!
DOES IT NOT KNOW WHO I AM?

No.... Not famous?..... Inflated sense of self worth?...put it where?.... okay.

I will contact discord support as there isn't a setting turned on that should be kicking people

try this new invite i think that may have been the issue https://discord.gg/8wj8zNv