Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1119131011735064576

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

OwlFancier posted:

I grant that my sense of smell>food might be a bit weird given that cow poo poo makes me hungry.

I think you'll be okay after Brexit.

Also welcome back Seaside Loafer! Glad you're still alive and pooping :)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Azza Bamboo posted:

okay pretty much done

Okay this is the worst picture of a roast posted yet.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

"If you're good at sports, better stay at home because all the people you beat might feel sad when they lose." - a definitely not at all transphobic principle that we've always applied equally to everyone

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 22, 2019

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Veggie fried bread? Same trick as a good "grilled" cheese sandwich- butter the outsides of the bread completely and thoroughly before frying, just use a tiny bit of oil in the pan. This lets the outside of the bread fry, but stops the bread from wicking up much more fat and turning into a mess thats somehow burnt and soggy at the same time.

If you have proper full fat egg mayo, you can also use that instead of butter for really lazy eggy bread

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm just terrified because it seems that the world is collapsing and no one around me seems to care...
...I mean, how on Earth are you guys not afraid?

Get involved in whatever pressure group you want and protest/organise so you surround yourself with likeminded people. I'm horrifically socially inept so I opted for the shovel, sweat and seeds pathway but I intend on protesting anyway ay some points cause my daughter wants to.

Her generation can win this, but only if we get stuck in and support them.

I'm afraid. Deeply. But you can use that fear, it's powerful. And I'm far more afraid of doing nowt at this point. Far more afeared of passively watching it happen and then dying knowing I could have done better, leaving even harder work for my kids.

So pick up a shovel or pick up a protest sign or preferably do both. And cut right back on your internet time, because it won't help you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

"If you're good at sports, better stay at home because all the people you beat might feel sad when they lose." - a definitely not at all transphobic principle that we've always applied equally to everyone

Though it is unironically my position on competition as a concept.

Always funny when people who make it their lives are faced with the inherent arbitrariness of what constitutes fair and not fair.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

If anyone knows good climate activism campaigns/movements/whatever folks can get involved in then you should absolutely post and share them here. A huge part of not giving in to despair about these issues is to feel like you're actually contributing and helping even in a small way.

I'll get it started with Ecosia:

https://www.ecosia.org

It's a search engine that uses it's profits to fund global reforestation initiatives. (Currently about half a million euros a month) Publicly releases it's financial stats every month so you can see where the money is going.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AceOfFlames, being able to safely ignore politics while feeling unthreatened and comfortable isn’t normal. It’s an incredibly privileged position that the middle class has fleetingly enjoyed for several decades but which is now reverting to the longer-term normal of applying to only the wealthiest few. If you’re scared about the future and angry at the system that promised you could just sit back and enjoy it then you’re in good company.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Captain Fargle posted:

If anyone knows good climate activism campaigns/movements/whatever folks can get involved in then you should absolutely post and share them here. A huge part of not giving in to despair about these issues is to feel like you're actually contributing and helping even in a small way.

I'll get it started with Ecosia:

https://www.ecosia.org

It's a search engine that uses it's profits to fund global reforestation initiatives. (Currently about half a million euros a month) Publicly releases it's financial stats every month so you can see where the money is going.

You should look at local tree planting initiatives you can get directly involved with. Make sure it’s for conservation and not forestry, and go plant several hundred trees. Offset your footprint, convince others to do the same.

My previous work and volunteering has given me a huge carbon excess, which is why I don’t feel bad burning down houses.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Ratjaculation posted:

You should look at local tree planting initiatives you can get directly involved with. Make sure it’s for conservation and not forestry, and go plant several hundred trees. Offset your footprint, convince others to do the same.

My previous work and volunteering has given me a huge carbon excess, which is why I don’t feel bad burning down houses.

I absolutely would but I'm afraid I haven't been able to find any in Northern Ireland. Still excellent advice though. If you can find any in your area you should absolutely give them a go.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Azza Bamboo posted:

okay pretty much done

Not one of those towns has a dirty name. D- :colbert:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

...Caster Semenya isn’t even trans!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Noxville posted:

It's almost as if a shittonne of old folks are just melting down about things that don't matter to distract from the fact that they hosed up.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Bundy posted:

e: ^^^ butter makes great fried bread. Also it's got to be the terriblest white Warburtons toastie type stuff.

Warburtons are bad OP

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Oh bollocks. I am open to suggestions on lefty bread for my quarterly fried slice.

Nothing is sacred. Also, loving class traitors.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Well, we all knew she couldn't control letting loose with lovely effluent, so why is this much of surprise?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm just terrified because it seems that the world is collapsing and no one around me seems to care. I am afraid of doing anything both because I am afraid of losing what I have but also because I am afraid of being wrong. I just wanted a quiet life where I can sit down and do what I am told. And apparently that makes me an entitled coward even though that's what you are told to be by an entire education system.

I mean, how on Earth are you guys not afraid? That's what I keep trying to understand. What makes someone turn out like me and other people decide to charge it head on? Pure survival instinct? Idealism? Not caring if you fail?

The reason you react like you did is because you have a mental illness that tends towards despair. Despair is not a particularly useful emotion for encouraging positive change.

Get help, and you too can acknowledge that yes, the world is collapsing. Yes, the education system encourages you to become a happy worker drone and leave the big questions to the "trained" people. And then you actually look at your ruling class and see all they have that you don't is the right connections and going to schools where they are taught it's their birthright to rule the plebs, and don't have any innate skills.

You recognise the status quo is unsustainable but you don't acknowledge that that means overthrowing the status quo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://twitter.com/drphilhammond/status/1119863965285277696?s=19

If you think there's an obvious answer take a look at the thread.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was initially wondering why the chancellor was suggesting we needed a new party.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao at the replies to this. Check the accounts twitter bio

https://twitter.com/Womans_Place_UK/status/1119522242940026880

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

For anyone who thought extinction rebellion wasn't working or was just loving up their goals by pissing people off

https://twitter.com/JeremyLeggett/status/1120111015075540992

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The smart ones will realise their only hope is to get on board before people decide to murder them all in the process of fixing poo poo.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

OwlFancier posted:

Though it is unironically my position on competition as a concept.

Always funny when people who make it their lives are faced with the inherent arbitrariness of what constitutes fair and not fair.

It boils my piss that the concepts of sport and competition are so loving entwined for no good reason, I spent my entire childhood thinking that I just wasn't a "sporty person" because I didn't give a gently caress about who wins at the dumb ball moving game or who can run the fastest and the whole thing just seemed arbitrary and stupid. Turns out I love doing athletic things where there's no competing involved and I'm allowed to just enjoy the experience.

OwlFancier posted:

The smart ones will realise their only hope is to get on board before people decide to murder them all in the process of fixing poo poo.

See also pro Labour business interests who correctly identify that yes having investment into education and infrastructure might actually be worth paying more taxes for.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Jose posted:

lmao at the replies to this. Check the accounts twitter bio

https://twitter.com/Womans_Place_UK/status/1119522242940026880

this owns

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jose posted:

For anyone who thought extinction rebellion wasn't working or was just loving up their goals by pissing people off

https://twitter.com/JeremyLeggett/status/1120111015075540992

So yeah this is the elite defection I talked about - XR will encourage this all the way. I'm still of the opinion that it won't work.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

She means cis women of course, but then, so what? Maybe we should ban every black sprinter and white swimmer too.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

To the surprise of no one here I am sure, but something that can be shared with friends:
https://twitter.com/IamalrightJack/status/1120013738470518784

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Well you see there's a much smaller number of people responsible for that huge amount of tax evasion,

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ronya posted:

Deserts are more readily found on the leeward side of mountains.

It's fun imagining the geology that could result in an inland delta feeding a lake that itself drains into a floodplain. The implication, I suppose, is a fault running horizontally near Lakeport

No the ridge goes vertically from the mountains to Tarnsmouth, you can see where it emerges as stone again above Tarnsmouth. It separates the drainage basins into the wastes from the ones into the forest. The reason there's a lake is because it's being fed from all sides except South. The reason there's a wetlands is because the hills being lower than the mountains means that side of the lake doesn't drain as readily.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 22, 2019

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
https://twitter.com/TulipSiddiq/status/1120063759714856961

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Noxville posted:

It's a perfect example of how the transphobic agenda will actually end up hurting cis women. Just like butch women are now fair game to be harassed in women's bathrooms, Caster Semenya now isn't allowed to identify as a 'normal' woman without taking medication. The more ridiculous notions about gender purity spread the more cis women that don't fit the feminine mould are going to suffer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1120205877745733632

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1120232038790041600

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

We are coming for you Boris and we are angry

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/independent-group-may-vote-no-confidence-support-heidi-allen-a8792841.html

quote:

The Independent Group will back Theresa May in any vote of confidence, says Heidi Allen

Exclusive: The MP said the Independent Group has decided not to do anything that would facilitate a general election

“But what we have definitely agreed is that anything that would facilitate a general election we wouldn’t support.

“To the contrary, we are hoping that us three Tory, or rather ex-Tory women, will have been a wake-up call to the prime minister.”

I guess at least they’re being honest that it’s all to avoid an election that will cost them their jobs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Why does this article from February keep popping back up

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Oh god drat it people should stop tweeting old poo poo. And I guess I should stop posting it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

You follow Rob Delaney too

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Well, we're a few weeks from local and Euro elections so it's worth repeating that CUK are just there to prop up May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Well, we're a few weeks from local and Euro elections so it's worth repeating that CUK are just there to prop up May.

Well they are a group pretty explicitly set up to be Tories for Remain (but not the Lib Dems).