Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

fart simpson posted:

hello fellow posters. shkodran mustafi is bad. thanks for reading.

He's always been poo poo. It will never not be funny that Arsenal paid whatever they did for him only because he played for Germany after Christoph Kramer got brain damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
in my head i almost always call him scrotum mustafi.

i realise this is silly and childish

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

He's always been poo poo. It will never not be funny that Arsenal paid whatever they did for him only because he played for Germany after Christoph Kramer got brain damage.

And didn't talk to actually good German defender Mats Hummels when he was available on a free.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I don't think United are really out of it in truth. Cardiff will be down by the final day if i had to guess, and if they beat Chelsea that probably goes a long way. Both Chelsea/Arsenal have multiple matches against teams that might be able to get "best of the rest", which may still end up in Europe by the time the season is over.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Klopp giving Utd the best team talk they have had since SAF left

Klopp posted:

The Derby is not something we can influence, and it doesn't look like Utd are in a position to do so either

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

:drat:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

:piss:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

CyberPingu posted:

That's some good bulletin board material but you know Pogba and about 80% of the team still won't be arsed to do much on Wednesday.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

sticksy posted:

That's some good bulletin board material but you know Pogba and about 80% of the team still won't be arsed to do much on Wednesday.

that was true last year too, then they pulled that 3-2 out their arses

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bundy posted:

Why would that be different if hiring An Outsider? Any TD appointment needs to be enabled by Woodward. The best thing about what's happening at the moment is Woodward is cuffing himself, intentionally or not.

Yes. He is really good at selling Official Potato Chip partnerships in Serbia, so he should stick to that, and leave the footballing to people who understand it, because the road ahead is going to be a difficult one.

I firmly believe United can turn things around, because it'd be lunacy to not believe one of the richest clubs in the world will be able to find success again, but it won't be easy and it will require a lot of work, because the club is -- frankly -- in a shambolic state right now.

A TON of work is needed from top to bottom.

1. Install a Director of Football / Technical Director and have them draft a long-term plan and philosophy for the club, and then follow that plan in player acquisition and manager appointments going forward.

This eliminates the current problem of having players from three very different philosophies in the squad.

2. Fix the scouting network.

By all accounts United's current scouting setup is a joke. It's outdated, doesn't have a lot of resources and their reports aren't being listened to. Apparently United had players like de Jong and de Ligt recommended to them years ago, but slept on the reports because they didn't fit in with Woodward's plans of "sign all the (former) Galacticos you can", or appeal to whoever the manager was at the time.

Going forward United can't just be chasing £60 million players, they have to dig out the future stars.

3. Finally clear out the deadwood in the squad.

There's too many players at United who shouldn't be there. Some are years past it, some were never good enough to begin with, and some apparently just don't want to put in the work needed.

Some of these are obvious: Ashley Young can gently caress right off. Smalling and Jones just aren't good enough to be United's central defenders, Mata's legs have gone on him, Alexis is just coasting from paycheck to paycheck, and Lukaku just doesn't fit the style of football Ole is trying to set the rest of the team to play.

Some are more difficult. Anthony Martial is once again in a long slump of form, but is that because the players around him are underperforming, or because he doesn't give a gently caress anymore and is playing at 80%? De Gea's had a -- by his standards -- bad season, but is that because of the clown college in front of him, because he's distracted by the ongoing contract negotiations, or because his head's been turned and he just can't give 100% anymore?

It's going to be a massive and difficult summer for United, but I still believe in Ole.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Ole gone by Christmas.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Apparently Chelsea are upset that Burnley staff members called Sarri a “poo poo Italian”. The truth hurts I guess.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/23/fa-assess-referee-report-claims-maurizio-sarri-abused-by-burnley-staff-chelsea

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
All of Chelsea is poo poo

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
it’s true we’re really poo poo

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I love Hazard but I'm looking forward to not having to spend 15 minutes a week watching everyone stand around while Hazard sizes up two defenders before passing back to a midfielder or fullback.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I love Hazard but I'm looking forward to not having to spend 15 minutes a week watching everyone stand around while Hazard sizes up two defenders before passing back to a midfielder or fullback.

I too am excited to watch Chelsea lose every game

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I wonder what it is about Everton and their influence on the fortunes of better off clubs. They've been the turning point for Ferguson's second to last title bid (you could also argue the 07 if memory serves title win after going 2-0 down at Goodison to then win 4-2 and start the 3 in a row), Moyes (sacked), Pep (hammered City who next season had a near perfect title win with a points record), the last minute win for Liverpool could still be pivotal and now, potentially Ole.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 24, 2019

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Bundy posted:

I wonder what it is about Everton and their influence on the fortunes of better off clubs. They've been the turning point for Ferguson's second to last title bid (you could also argue the 07 if memory serves title win after going 2-0 down at Goodison to then win 4-2 and start the 3 in a row), Moyes (sacked), Pep (hammered City who next season had a near perfect title win with a points record), the last minute win for Liverpool could still be pivotal and now, potentially Ole.

If I had to guess

statistical noise misinterpreted as meaningful due to various cognitive biases

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
:drat:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Apparently Chelsea are upset that Burnley staff members called Sarri a “poo poo Italian”. The truth hurts I guess.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/23/fa-assess-referee-report-claims-maurizio-sarri-abused-by-burnley-staff-chelsea

Shitalian

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1120769242675273730

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
#Pogbail

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Apparently the French media run a "Pogba wants to go to Real" story pretty much every day and have done so for ages now so who the gently caress even knows anymore.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I seriously think Utd would have had a better chance tonight if Mou was still in charge

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
No one can park a bus quite like José.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm really not clear on what Pogba has done to justify Real being interested. I mean he's alright but has not exactly set the world on fire, I never watch Man Utd and think he's obviously miles better than the players around him.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

peanut- posted:

I'm really not clear on what Pogba has done to justify Real being interested. I mean he's alright but has not exactly set the world on fire, I never watch Man Utd and think he's obviously miles better than the players around him.

He was great for France in the World Cup but I think that was mostly to do with Matuidi and Kante doing all of the hard work around him. He’s a very talented footballer but he’s very much a luxury player who needs world class players around him to cover for his lack of really anything other than spraying Hollywood balls and doing roulettes and occasionally banging in a worldie.

He’s a very similar player to Coutinho for me and Coutinho is currently being run out of Barcelona.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Pogbas attitude is probably his biggest issue. If he had a Dirk Kyut mentality he would be 100x better. But he seems to throw strops when things don't go his way.

But then again, his attitude has probably been born by people placing him on this pedestal of a world class player.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

peanut- posted:

World class media team.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

His agent is toxic as gently caress as well.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Bundy posted:

His agent is toxic as gently caress as well.

I wonder how Balotelli and Pogba would have been without Raiola. There’s probably only so much you can do with Balotelli, but I imagine both might have been better off by not having an agent who constantly agitated for moves.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/outofcontextars/status/1120974706541322240?s=21

Checkmate, Liverpoo :smug:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Brony Car posted:

I wonder how Balotelli and Pogba would have been without Raiola. There’s probably only so much you can do with Balotelli, but I imagine both might have been better off by not having an agent who constantly agitated for moves.

Given the main reason for Pogba leaving the first time was Ferguson largely telling Raiola to gently caress off as he didn't think Pogba was working hard enough (while talented he wasn't even the best player in that particular youth team) I'd imagine a similar trajectory as players like Ben Arfa and Taraabt; talented yet inconsistent.

Standard Measure
Sep 5, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

big fan of the last three lines that'll never change

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Standard Measure posted:

big fan of the last three lines that'll never change

:argh:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bundy posted:

Given the main reason for Pogba leaving the first time was Ferguson largely telling Raiola to gently caress off as he didn't think Pogba was working hard enough (while talented he wasn't even the best player in that particular youth team) I'd imagine a similar trajectory as players like Ben Arfa and Taraabt; talented yet inconsistent.

Raiola and florentino Perez didn't like each other which is why he didn't go to Madrid earlier. Apparently that's fixed now which is why he's rumoured to go there and Zidane wants him too

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Narsingh is a Raiola client and he wouldn't gently caress off to Greece last summer without having his whole contract paid up in full.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bundy posted:

Given the main reason for Pogba leaving the first time was Ferguson largely telling Raiola to gently caress off as he didn't think Pogba was working hard enough (while talented he wasn't even the best player in that particular youth team)

Ravel Morrison is now playing in Sweden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Ravel Morrison is now playing in Sweden.
On a 6 month contract lol