Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A hell of a lot of not poor people are actually horribly financially illiterate and saddle themselves with as much debt as they possibly can to have nice things right now. It's a big problem of having a rabidly consumerist culture and a keeping up with the Joneses attitude. Just paid off your car loan? Better immediately trade that old car in for a new one, you deserve it! Can't own the oldest car among all the people you know then you look poor and that's baaaaaaaaaaad.

It's almost as if corporate America has realized that they can soak Americans of all stripes for money by encouraging multiple bad attitudes toward money at multiple income levels, including the one that poor people are only poor because they don't work hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

CrazySalamander posted:

It's almost as if corporate America has realized that they can soak Americans of all stripes for money by encouraging multiple bad attitudes toward money at multiple income levels, including the one that poor people are only poor because they don't work hard enough.

Is that compensation in real or nominal dollars?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I believe that particular graph is adjusted for inflation. It comes from the EPI which is considered a left-leaning group: https://www.epi.org/productivity-pay-gap/

It is also important to consider that other expenses have increased relatively, such as health insurance premiums which have consistently beaten inflation for over a decade now. Another thing to consider is that people are often working fewer hours even if they've had a nominal pay per hour increase. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/your-employers-health-plan-will-cost-more-in-2019/

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CrazySalamander posted:

Need more information on what exactly productivity means. And how its measured across all of the different professions included.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
How would one buy a sleeper car? Like an old station wagon with a V8, could they get listed for sale somewhere or would you have to find someone to build one for you and hope it doesn't blow up in the near future?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Sounds like a question for the AI simple questions thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699520&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Buying a finished project is generally cheaper than paying to have it built yourself, but the best option is building it yourself, learning how to do a bunch of cool poo poo and saving money along the way.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Methanar posted:

Need more information on what exactly productivity means. And how its measured across all of the different professions included.

Productivity is overall GDP really. Despite the depressions and recessions that have happened along the way there are like two years, ever, where America's productivity didn't go up. For most of America's history productivity and spending power have gone up together. Yeah we've always had poor people but over time poo poo got overall better for the average person for pretty much the country's entire history.

Unfortunately ever since the 70's wages have stagnated on average. Unless you're upper middle class or higher things have been getting continually worse for 40 or 50 years. The rich are doing great and America keeps making GBS threads out billionaires like mad but for basically everybody else poo poo just keeps getting worse. The other snag with that is that even though middle class incomes aren't going down it's getting more expensive to get into the middle class in the first place thanks to insane college tuition. Even for those that are currently middle class the cost of ensuring a middle class income for their children is cost prohibitive in a lot of cases. Good loving luck clawing your way out of poverty if you're born poor right now.

It's complex and stuff but "poo poo is hosed up and bullshit" is a pretty good tl;dr.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We've been looking for a new van, and I've got a question on how to approach a dealership we went to yesterday. They quoted us ~$34,000 for a 2019 that has some extra crap we don't care about (appearance package plus some dealer add-ons). We then found a used 2017 with only 5,200 miles on it for $29,000 that has pretty much all the stuff we wanted except for some safety features and doesn't have any of the stuff we don't want. Is it worth mentioning this to the first dealership to try to get them to come down, or is there too much difference?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

hooah posted:

We've been looking for a new van, and I've got a question on how to approach a dealership we went to yesterday. They quoted us ~$34,000 for a 2019 that has some extra crap we don't care about (appearance package plus some dealer add-ons). We then found a used 2017 with only 5,200 miles on it for $29,000 that has pretty much all the stuff we wanted except for some safety features and doesn't have any of the stuff we don't want. Is it worth mentioning this to the first dealership to try to get them to come down, or is there too much difference?

I went through a similar car buying experience recently and comparing a used car to a new car has zero effect on a dealer in my experience. It's easy for them to brush off. From my research when I was buying my car, you can reasonably expect a dealer to come down anywhere between $2000 and $4000 on a new car depending on how they have it priced. So if the dealer was really motivated to get rid of that car, you might get it for $30k, but realistically I'll bet vans move pretty quickly and more likely you'll get it for $32k.

The AI forum might have better info than me, and I'm by no means an expert since I buy a new car about once ever ten years, but I was able to get ~$3k off my car using the following approach. Say the car I wanted was listed at $34 (I forget the actual amount, so let's use yours). It had some extra stuff on it I didn't care about (ie. sport package vs. standard package plus some dealer addons). I checked around and found comparable but cheaper cars from other dealers (usually without extra packages). I went into the dealership, told them I wanted the car and was willing to "buy it today" (which tells them you're serious which makes them more motivated to negotiate), but that I only had $29k to spend, and look at al these other cars I found that are cheaper, but I really want this one. What could they do for me? Initially they gave me some dealer instant rebates for $1.5k or so, though you might be able to get some more off than that. I said that was close, but still a bit too high, so the salesman "went back to talk to his manager" and came back with $2k off because the 2019 models were coming on the lot and they were trying to get rid of their 2018 models. They have some other strings to pull at this point to reduce the price, but not many. When I felt like I had as much off as I could get, I said, "okay cool, but I don't need the dealer addons, can you just take them off and reduce the price by $X?" In my case this was a roof rack, mud flaps and some sort of paint protection film. They didn't want to, but eventually agreed to remove the roof rack. They left the other addons on the car because they were too much of a pain to remove, and knocked the price down a bit further. Ultimately I drove off having paid around $31k.

tl;dr – That's probably too much of a difference, but not by a massive degree. Be willing to negotiate, and be willing to walk if you don't think the price is right, but don't expect them to match the price of a used car from two years ago.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

How are state income taxes enforced? If I primarily live in one state, but work remotely and maintain an address in another state (the one which I file for), who's to know I don't actually live there?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

How are state income taxes enforced? If I primarily live in one state, but work remotely and maintain an address in another state (the one which I file for), who's to know I don't actually live there?

Your bank knows where you are, your landlord knows where you are. The DMV knows where your car is and where you are each time you renew your license.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
When you see someone hurt themselves, what is that lurching feeling you get in your chest and belly, and what causes it?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Farrier Theaks posted:

When you see someone hurt themselves, what is that lurching feeling you get in your chest and belly, and what causes it?

empathy?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s joy op. You monster.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Not to sound like a loving goon about it, but I don't mean the emotional state, I mean the physical reaction. What chemical dumps in your body that makes you feel like you took the drop on a rollercoaster (edit - from otherwise visual-only input?)

Asbury fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 21, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Why are 6-hour probations so common in GiP?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why are 6-hour probations so common in GiP?

They're the NJP of probes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Farrier Theaks posted:

They're the NJP of probes.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Farrier Theaks posted:

Not to sound like a loving goon about it, but I don't mean the emotional state, I mean the physical reaction. What chemical dumps in your body that makes you feel like you took the drop on a rollercoaster (edit - from otherwise visual-only input?)

I don’t know the neurology of it, but psychologists call it things like “physiological resonance,” “empathic resonance,” and “autonomic resonance” if that helps.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
If it’s a sympathetic nervous system response (which I’m pretty sure it is), the chief neurotransmitters are epinephrine and norepinephrine, probably some dopamine in a few parts.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 22, 2019

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
is double posting on forums bad? I have an aching question to ask in some writing thread but it's been dead for weeks and it seems like bumping the thread might get some attention? I don't know. as a rule I never under any circumstance double post. It feels weird and kinda spammy.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

It's generally considered bad form, but if a long time has passed it's generally acceptable to bump a thread as long as you don't only post, "Bump." Most folks you'll see bumping will offer some explanation as to why their question is important, at the very least.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

kedo posted:

It's generally considered bad form, but if a long time has passed it's generally acceptable to bump a thread as long as you don't only post, "Bump." Most folks you'll see bumping will offer some explanation as to why their question is important, at the very least.

so bump then followed by reasons for bumping?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also depending on the forum/thread it’s fine

Like in a chat thread or C-SPAM no one is gonna be bothered if you double post

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Also depending on the forum/thread it’s fine

Like in a chat thread or C-SPAM no one is gonna be bothered if you double post

For a while (still?) there was a user in ADTRW whose entire gimmick was double, triple or even quad posting in almost any thread. That's an incredibly laid back place though.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fruity20 posted:

Sure. I'm assuming you're posting in a CC thread? If so, that forum tends to be super chill about double posting since most of the threads don't move that fast.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fruity20 posted:

Don't mention bumping. If you have something relevant to the thread then :justpost:. A lot of forum etiquette things have edge cases and exceptions for stuff like exactly that situation.

Another thing that is frowned upon is thread necromancy. Again, that is not a hard and fast thing; if you have a valid reason to post in an old thread, especially in a sub that isn't particularly popular, nobody will have an issue.

Asking a question relevant to the thread that doesn't warrant its own thread is probably fine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I double post all of the time and no one has ever given me poo poo about it. I think like 10 years ago some of the mods would give people crap about it, but I don't think anyone really cares anymore as long as you aren't doing it just to be annoying.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Do forum smilies such as :xcom: get weeded out over time? If so is it random or is there some process involved?

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
So I use a fan to drown out noise when I sleep in my apartment. But I think it’s drying out my nose and causing nosebleeds. Is there something to put in there to stop it? I tried a styptic pen. Didn’t work.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Get a humidifier?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CrazySalamander posted:

Do forum smilies such as :xcom: get weeded out over time? If so is it random or is there some process involved?

Not anymore. Admins used to delete "unpopular" ones after a few years as it was necessary then. Now they only get deleted if there's something wrong with them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Robokomodo posted:

So I use a fan to drown out noise when I sleep in my apartment. But I think it’s drying out my nose and causing nosebleeds. Is there something to put in there to stop it? I tried a styptic pen. Didn’t work.

Get a noise machine instead.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Robokomodo posted:

Secaris - it's a nasal lubricant, works for exactly this purpose.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Robokomodo posted:

Aquaphor + q-tips was a game changer for me after moving to an arid environment. Went from daily nosebleeds to none at all.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
This spray plus this gel is my never-fail combo for dry nose.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Memento posted:

Get a humidifier?

Yeah this. I sleep with a fan all of the time (literally can't sleep without one) and combined with an extra dry winter it was wreaking havoc on my nose giving me nose bleeds and general pain in my nostrils. Using humidifier while I sleep cleared it up immediately and I have had zero problems since.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Would using a grass & weed killer on my lawn be a viable alternate to mowing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Its Coke posted:

Would using a grass & weed killer on my lawn be a viable alternate to mowing it?

That depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Generally for what most people would want as an end result.....no.