Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

SimonCat posted:

So, Sansa was giving some pretty big puppy-dog eyes to Theon. With her previous relationships, a guy with literally no penis seems like the best choice for her, he's being selfless and he can't rape her. The future of the Stark line is looking dim unless Arya and Gendry have some kids.

You know, in the sequels set thirty years after this season, Arya and Gendry's kid will be the one true heir to the Baratheon bloodline and could challenge the throne...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

lezard_valeth posted:

something I'm really surprised I didn't see any goon mention either this episode or last is how, if youtube's 2018 recommended taught as anything at all, is that you can't cast obsidian and make a sword

I did mention this last week, when they showed the blacksmiths tipping out a bunch of arrowheads that they'd smelted and cast. They treat it like some kind of iron instead of volcanic rock. And the reason for that is, although it might be interesting to go into the difficulties of working and fighting with something like obsidian versus steel, this isn't the show for that kind of thing anymore. They got the dragonglass, they make weapons that can kill White Walkers. End of Story. No time to worry about the troubles of medieval blacksmithing.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

*child character kills dozens of people*

this is cool and good television

*becomes an adult and has consensual sex*

WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS DEPRAVED poo poo

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

CornHolio posted:

You know, in the sequels set thirty years after this season, Arya and Gendry's kid will be the one true heir to the Baratheon bloodline and could challenge the throne...

Ah yes, can't wait for the adventures of Eddard Robert Potter Stark

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Forcing people to watch the sex scene clockwork orange style in the name of female agency

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Goons are trying to show off that they're the Least Pedophiliac by going on the offensive of how wrong the sex scene is

Lol

It's really gross

18 & 22 year olds gently caress, it's cool

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
This is the best worst game of thrones thread in a couple years

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Did y'all get this mad about Pod getting laid?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Goons are trying to show off that they're the Least Pedophiliac by going on the offensive of how wrong the sex scene is

Lol

It's really gross

18 & 22 year olds gently caress, it's cool

I'll have you know I was an 18 year old and then a 22 year old and I did no such thing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s all bad .

Also Pod looked great this episode - I initially though him and Brienne were looking for a warm place to get down.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Have they used the word obsidian in the show? It's definitely the Westeros equivalent but I just sorta figured that dragonglass is a fantasy material that is like obsidian in every way and also can be smelted and forged in any manner shown or implied by the show

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

there's imo a diffrence between not wanting someone to have sex and not wanting to watch them have sex, but okay

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Chalks posted:

*child character kills dozens of people*

this is cool and good television

*becomes an adult and has consensual sex*

WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS DEPRAVED poo poo

Yeah, the set of standards is weird. The best thing about the Arya/Gendry scene was how hard they telegraphed it near the beginning of the episode. poo poo was hilarious.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Have they used the word obsidian in the show? It's definitely the Westeros equivalent but I just sorta figured that dragonglass is a fantasy material that is like obsidian in every way and also can be smelted and forged in any manner shown or implied by the show

Yes, at least once when Sam is explaining what Dragonglass is to Stannis, the guy who literally lived on a volcano and knows all about Dragonglass.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Nikolaj Coster-Waldeu please run away, this show doesn't deserve you!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well, that sure was 2+ hours of various characters talking to each other.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What was the three-eyed raven supposed to have been doing all this time. If he’s humanity’s collective memory it seems like there was more pressing poo poo he could have been doing than being a tree on the other side of the wall.
Memory is just remembering things, no part of the job description says he has to do anything with it.

TheRat posted:

What do you do if you fall in love with someone you grew up with? Tell them you don't want to have sex with them because its creepy? People grow up. It's normal. Get on with it.
Someone you grew up with implies you were of similar age, your memory of them would always in some way be relative to your past self. It's not really the same as a character who's way younger than you, whose younger self you might just have gotten a refresher on from a rewatch, and who hasn't really had any character development on that side of things since she was a girl.

I mean, it's not like "objectively gross" or anything, it's just people reacting to their understanding of the character/actor getting updated real quick.

lezard_valeth posted:

Jaime is hosed and Bran, the almighty seer whose word apparently is now revered as the unquestionable truth, decides to chime in for his "old friend" that he spent days waiting for in the snow and says

"the things we do for love"

wtf Bran that is not helping at all :lol:
It told Jaime that Bran knew what he did, and then they had a little chat where Bran was basically said he was fine with it. Pretty good way to diffuse the situation. Not like anyone else knew what it meant, and they've probably learned to ignore Bran quoting things not related to them.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

And it was great!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

<2 hours

Apparently, the episodes from here on out are all >80 minutes. So strap in for 4 Game of Thrones movies essentially.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sam calls is Obsidian.

And yeah, who cares about the physical properties of obsidian in the show really. It's magic obsidian like you said, like how Valyrian steel is magical steel because it disintegrates White Walkers.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Did the show kill the Blackfish?? I thought he hosed off somewhere

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
you people are ruining this final season with your stupid opinions and thoughts. morons. Jackanapes.

SimonCat posted:

So, Sansa was giving some pretty big puppy-dog eyes to Theon. With her previous relationships, a guy with literally no penis seems like the best choice for her, he's being selfless and he can't rape her. The future of the Stark line is looking dim unless Arya and Gendry have some kids.

Yeah strange, that vibe. Sansa/Theon looked like they were already in love, not just like.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

teagone posted:

Sam calls is Obsidian.

And yeah, who cares about the physical properties of obsidian in the show really. It's magic obsidian like you said, like how Valyrian steel is magical steel because it disintegrates White Walkers.

Does dragonglass even work against wights in the show? I don't remember that ever being seen. In the book Sam breaks his dagger when he tries to stab a wight, it's only the Others that obsidian magically kills

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Alec Eiffel posted:

Did the show kill the Blackfish?? I thought he hosed off somewhere

Yes, he goes out fighting after sending Brienne and Pod off in a rowboat secretly when The Twins was being sieged/retaken by the Lannisters.

[edit] It was an offscreen death; they didn't show him fighting, but it was mentioned after The Twins was taken back by the Lannisters.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

hey /r/relationships, things have been going great so far between me [32m] and my girlfriend [18f] but now during sex she wants me to wear these masks??

Gendry and Arya embrace and kiss. Suddenly, Arya gasps and falls over dead. The night king stands before Gendry, his blade drawn. Gendry smiles and pulls off his mask: he is Arya. Cut to the night king, who also pulls off his mask, revealing Arya.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

A Typical Goon posted:

Does dragonglass even work against wights in the show? I don't remember that ever being seen. In the book Sam breaks his dagger when he tries to stab a wight, it's only the Others that obsidian magically kills

Jon killed the captured wight in front of Cersei with dragonglass last season.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

TBH it would actually be funny as gently caress if GoT had legit scandalized an actress and the showrunners would try to defend it as "art" when literally all sex in the show is indistinguishable from 1990s cinemax.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A Typical Goon posted:

Is this weapon not the dragon glass? I haven't seen this in forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAfdHNjbYHU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Is this weapon not the dragon glass? I haven't seen this in forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAfdHNjbYHU

It is, that's one of the daggers they found at the first of the first men.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Theon saved Sansa's life, and Ramsay put them both through hell. It makes perfect sense there'd be a strong bond between them.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Please ban anyone who uses the phrase "but in the books"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Reminder that steel can't be caste into molds to make weapons in a medieval setting anyway so it's all dumb but Gendry literally learned to smith from the guy who ruined ice by melting it down like a goof

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Gendry and Arya embrace and kiss. Suddenly, Arya gasps and falls over dead. The night king stands before Gendry, his blade drawn. Gendry smiles and pulls off his mask: he is Arya. Cut to the night king, who also pulls off his mask, revealing Arya.

You've ruined the season for me because now anything other than this will be a disappointment.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I don't remember a lot of talking coming out of that room with 75% of the main cast just sitting around staring at each other, waiting for the clock to run down. Oh wait, Tormund told his giant story.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PostNouveau posted:

I suppose that makes sense. We haven't really seen it on the show. I think some flashbacks with the old tree guy foiling the Night King before might have helped.

I really felt like they have abandoned Bran's story a bit. I mean yes he's front and center now as bait, but for the most part his skills and being the three eyed raven is like The Biggest loving Deal® and they're just kinda like "eh we dedicated an ep or two to it... we good."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gonna need some fanart of Tormund and his giant mom.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That Brienne knighting scene made the rest of the episode worth it.

Also lmaoing at goons trying to clutch the most pearls over Arya/Gendry.

Vintersorg posted:

Gonna need some fanart of Tormund and his giant mom.

Oh god yea Tormund's backstory followed by chug chug chug was tied for Brienne knighting scene for best scene.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Please ban anyone who uses the phrase "but in the books"

please ban anyone who says this was a good episode

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

I really felt like they have abandoned Bran's story a bit. I mean yes he's front and center now as bait, but for the most part his skills and being the three eyed raven is like The Biggest loving Deal® and they're just kinda like "eh we dedicated an ep or two to it... we good."

I think he may factor into the final showdown in a bigger way than just as bait though. Like, there's something that only he can do that is the key to taking down the Night King. Or not, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It was a great episode!