Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It wasn't a good episode. It was great :smuggo:

[edit] gently caress, beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chalks posted:

*child character kills dozens of people*

this is cool and good television

*becomes an adult and has consensual sex*

WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS DEPRAVED poo poo

the other arya stuff was pretty poo poo too.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Please ban anyone who uses the phrase "but in the books"

the show would've been vastly improved if they hadn't excised the northern conspiracy against the boltons and freys.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It’s the last time we will probably see half of these characters who have been with us since seasons one/two. Y’all would’ve screamed if someone died without getting one last good character moment.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Well, that sure was 2+ hours of various characters talking to each other.

It's actually nice to have a little calm before the storm.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
it was an episode of cliches; nodding at drinks and begrudgingly passing it over, lovely one liners to break the tension, tormund being used entirely as a kramer like character, dialogue like "no why you UP here" which is a retarded trope, second only to they "well why can't we" followed by raised eyebrows when they knighted brienne

it was a steaming heap

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Preemptive RIP Theon. Best character. Great actor. Dying attempting to save Bran (or Rickon) like I always assumed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I've managed to avoid seeing or really knowing anything about D&D up until this point but now my girlfriend is making me watch the after credit things where these dipshits explain the extremely obvious subtext in every scene and frankly it's a miracle that these two managed to make five good seasons

They're not unlike Zach Snyder. Give them some good source material and they can film interesting cinematography over it, but ask them to write a story and oh noooooo.

Also gently caress them, they started a show that managed to become like the most popular thing ever and they decide they're bored of it and want to wrap it up so they can do other things? gently caress you no. You should be so lucky! Hand the series off to someone else if you're done with it and want to work on something else.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've managed to avoid seeing or really knowing anything about D&D up until this point but now my girlfriend is making me watch the after credit things where these dipshits explain the extremely obvious subtext in every scene and frankly it's a miracle that these two managed to make five good seasons

four(ish).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Basebf555 posted:

I think he may factor into the final showdown in a bigger way than just as bait though. Like, there's something that only he can do that is the key to taking down the Night King. Or not, who knows.

Oh yeah for sure. I just wish we had more time to explore the mythos of the 3ER. Maybe in one of the spinoffs?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

kcer posted:

it was an episode of cliches; nodding at drinks and begrudgingly passing it over, lovely one liners to break the tension, tormund being used entirely as a kramer like character, dialogue like "no why you UP here" which is a retarded trope, second only to they "well why can't we" followed by raised eyebrows when they knighted brienne

it was a steaming heap

May I ask what you would've liked to have seen?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Opferwurst posted:

Also, Jon's heritage is only a problem in the show where they have turned feudal succession into a huge yakety sax sketch and everything is dumbed down into Arthurian fantasy tropes. Jon doesn't have to take the throne and heirs often refuse to do that in real life or get passed over because they are lovely. The main point of dynastic succession is a continuity of government, not that the kid the queen popped out first gets to rule. That's dumb.

Hahaha, what?

Yes. Duh. That's like the entire point of the show.

in the first season of the show one of the characters basically turned to the camera and explained how The True Rules Of Succession are bullshit and it was basically the thesis of the show and yet here we are

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

something I'm really surprised I didn't see any goon mention either this episode or last is how, if youtube's 2018 recommended taught as anything at all, is that you can't cast obsidian and make a sword

There's a reason the Aztecs made their funky spiked bats and not swords.

But D&D are about to have Arya do a Darth Maul dance through white walkers, they're not remotely concerned with realism.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

4 episodes left.

Next episode will probably just be the battle at Winterfell, so after the Night's King gets chumped/Night's King chumps Team Stark, we'll have three episodes to resolve the King's Landing side of the plot, unless they're reserving the final episode for the aftermath of the war/timejump to get a glimpse of the future of Westeros, then we can see the Iron Throne plot resolve itself in episode 5.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

They're not unlike Zach Snyder. Give them some good source material and they can film interesting cinematography over it, but ask them to write a story and oh noooooo.

Also gently caress them, they started a show that managed to become like the most popular thing ever and they decide they're bored of it and want to wrap it up so they can do other things? gently caress you no. You should be so lucky! Hand the series off to someone else if you're done with it and want to work on something else.

8 seasons is enough to wrap it up with, or do you want it to continue on for about 50 episodes without that source material to work off of because GRRM decided long ago that he has no interest in trying to wrap anything up himself?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

kcer posted:

it was a steaming heap

Just to offer a different perspective, I thought last night's episode might be one of the most meaningful and heartfelt ones the show has made in a while. It wasn't just an effective preamble before the big battle, but it was also full of great character moments; and these were earned moments, built up over how many ever seasons that are closing out arcs for characters who are in all likely going to die next week. Sure, there were a lot of derivative tropes, but I thought they were used effectively, especially Podrick's singing as everyone prepares for battle. That's some good poo poo by Djawadi.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

kcer posted:

it was a steaming heap
I wish I wrote/thought this cleanly and succinctly

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Crow Jane posted:

May I ask what you would've liked to have seen?

even though this is an absolutely ridiculous question I'd have like to see something beyond one 5 minute scene where they actually talk about what they're going to do with a dead army marching towards them, instead of singing around the camp fire and other random filler scenes

bran was honestly the only interesting character in that episode, which is kind of funky

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a reason the Aztecs made their funky spiked bats and not swords.

But D&D are about to have Arya do a Darth Maul dance through white walkers, they're not remotely concerned with realism.

I was about to post the same thing. A paddle with shards of obsidian sticking out is a much more efficient use of a limited resource but nope, European medieval fantasy demands European medieval weaponry.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zerilan posted:

8 seasons is enough to wrap it up with, or do you want it to continue on for about 50 episodes without that source material to work off of because GRRM decided long ago that he has no interest in trying to wrap anything up himself?

I wanted them to not blast through 3 books in 1 season, so there'd be plenty of material to give GRRM time. Even if he didn't ever finish it, it'd be nice to see lots of the things we skipped, like Lady Stoneheart.

with HBO doing like 3 spin-offs of GOT, there's no way they wouldn't have paid for more GOT if it was an option. Instead we're gonna get a whole season about some nonsense first men battle against the white walkers that nobody cares about at all. Because there's still demand for GOT material, and there's still book material we didn't use, but because the show runners were in a hurry to get to the end we'll never get to.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's a lot easier to spray paint prop swords black than to commission new spike bats

The recruits were practicing sword play. I don't remember if wights do any weapon wielding or if they're just feral berserkers?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alec Eiffel posted:

Preemptive RIP Theon. Best character. Great actor. Dying attempting to save Bran (or Rickon) like I always assumed.

The Night King kicks Theon in the crotch while Theon is all:smug:

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

Xanderkish posted:

The weirdest part of this thread, and presumably of other threads, are when people get so upset with the show that they start coming up with predictions they hate for what the show will do next that will piss them off.

It's so weird to me. It's like the opposite of fan fiction. Hate fiction?

Pretty much. It's kind of hilarious how deep people get into their own hate fiction.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

I wanted them to not blast through 3 books in 1 season, so there'd be plenty of material to give GRRM time. Even if he didn't ever finish it, it'd be nice to see lots of the things we skipped, like Lady Stoneheart.

with HBO doing like 3 spin-offs of GOT, there's no way they wouldn't have paid for more GOT if it was an option. Instead we're gonna get a whole season about some nonsense first men battle against the white walkers that nobody cares about at all. Because there's still demand for GOT material, and there's still book material we didn't use, but because the show runners were in a hurry to get to the end we'll never get to.

There was a practical reality to that as well though, which is that if the show went on for much longer they'd have been forced to recast a bunch of the key roles. Emilia Clarke has been on her way out for the past few seasons already, same goes for a bunch of the others. Getting almost 10 seasons into a series and having to turn over almost your entire cast would be a very tough position to be in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

teagone posted:

Just to offer a different perspective, I thought last night's episode might be one of the most meaningful and heartfelt ones the show has made in a while. It wasn't just an effective preamble before the big battle, but it was also full of great character moments; and these were earned moments, built up over how many ever seasons that are closing out arcs for characters who are in all likely going to die next week. Sure, there were a lot of derivative tropes, but I thought they were used effectively, especially Podrick's singing as everyone prepares for battle. That's some good poo poo by Djawadi.

Podrick singing was great, Brienne being knighted was fantastic, but those were two short scenes. The whole episode feels like a montage in retrospect there's so much happening and none of it has enough time to really mean much other than cliche moments. That's the biggest problem I think.

What significant things have happened since the start of S8? Other than Jon finding out R+L=J and telling Danny, not a whole lot has happened we didn't already know about during S7.

And that was done in 2 short scenes, each barely 2 minutes each?

It'd be fine if we had 10 episodes and I really wish we did. With only 4 hours left though having a bunch of cliche hangout moments feels like ineffective storytelling. Its ultimately fanservice, just like needless world-building details. I love to nerd out over that stuff but this show is about to wrap, with how much this is costing and how little room we have left, stuff needs to get going.

Note that "things happening" doesn't mean "war". If the night's king showed up last episode, did a big bloody battle with Jon and forces, and then left before either side was destroyed and there were no meaningful consequences, that would be just as much "nothing happened". It might be exciting, but if there's no consequences, then there's no impact. (If one side was crippled and that had implications, then that'd be okay)

The show needs to be unpredictable to be exciting, and S7 and S8 so far haven't had much of that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How dare these actors and showrunners not want to dedicate a decade plus of their lives to making even more Games of Thrones.

If this show kept going at GRRM pace we'd be having Lady Mormont/Sam Jr sex scenes by the time we got to Dream of Spring.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't remember if wights do any weapon wielding or if they're just feral berserkers?

The wights definitely do, (remember Jon sword fighting with the one dude?) and even if the lower rank and file walkers are just dumb zombies with claws it still helps to have some battle tactics. Shield-wall works against berserkers too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How dare these actors and showrunners not want to dedicate a decade plus of their lives to making even more Games of Thrones.

Like I said, hand the series off if you don't want to keep doing it. Why's that so hard?

I've also previously brought up the actors maybe wanting to do other things, although that doesn't really seem like the case.

Isn't it selfish to prematurely end a thing rather than let someone else carry the torch? But nah lets just continue with the passive aggressive digs.

Basebf555 posted:

There was a practical reality to that as well though, which is that if the show went on for much longer they'd have been forced to recast a bunch of the key roles. Emilia Clarke has been on her way out for the past few seasons already, same goes for a bunch of the others. Getting almost 10 seasons into a series and having to turn over almost your entire cast would be a very tough position to be in.

Fair point, yeah. Lots of characters are still age appropriate but no doubt a few would want to recast. Course, if you're not beholden to GRRM source material you could just do the typical TV show thing and kill off whoever's actor/actress wants to do some other show now. For this series if the actor/actress is getting sick of their role its probably a sign the character SHOULD die already, although when it comes to Jon/Dany/Tyrion I guess they're not willing to do that.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 22, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cersei blowing up the sept is the last time i remember something genuinely shocking happening and i was looking forward to the consequences of that and then there weren't any lmao

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Season 7 and 8 should have been 10 episodes long though. They didn't need to box themselves into the awkward rushed pacing they did.

e: ^^ That's the thing, blowing up the sept was seismic. It pushed Highgarden into open rebellion. That leads to Jamie crushing House Tyrell, which neatly solidified Cersei's control of the South of Westeros. That's why when Dany shows up the players of the game of thrones are down to here and Cersei.

The problem is that this all happens in the space of a couple of episodes and there aren't enough quiet scenes where characters talk through what's happening and what is at stake.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 22, 2019

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah, a 10 season show is a ridiculously long-rear end commitment to one project. Wrapping up the main show and doing a prequel or spinoff lets you bring in new cast and crew etc. without having to worry about recasting.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Alchenar posted:

Season 7 and 8 should have been 10 episodes long though. They didn't need to box themselves into the awkward rushed pacing they did.

this is what irritates me the most, in that they talk about how much material there is to fit into only 8 or 10 episodes, but then they're quite happy to do these 2 episodes of spinning their wheels with almost no plot progression at all

I get that you need to refresh people about every character but come on

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Zaphod42 posted:

The wights definitely do, (remember Jon sword fighting with the one dude?) and even if the lower rank and file walkers are just dumb zombies with claws it still helps to have some battle tactics. Shield-wall works against berserkers too.

White walkers are the boss level bearded dudes, and wights are their braindead skeleton army, right? I remember Jon killing a white Walker and turning him into ice cubes but I don't remember him sparring with a zombie

Jon should also remember that sword fighting a white Walker is impossible because it just makes your sword explode, lol

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Alec Eiffel posted:

Alfie Allen owns

It’d be cool if his redemption didn’t involve him dying but it’s pretty much inevitable.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

cersei blowing up the sept is the last time i remember something genuinely shocking happening and i was looking forward to the consequences of that and then there weren't any lmao

The consequences exploded with the Sept.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
In the knighting scene, was Brienne tearing up because of a title or was it about her relationship with Jamie? They're the only characters in the show who seem to respect one anothrer in a really uncomplicated way and seem to have generally been very good to each other.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Snyder misses the fundamental point of everything he touches. Meh, a rogue Manhattan is the same as an alien threat. Sure batman kills, why not. Which sucks because his action directing is second to none.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
As someone who hasn't paid a lick of attention to the show or series since the first half of the season ended I've been thankful for these last two episodes. They helped jog my memory a little and remember what was going on without having to do something tedious like rewatch everything, especially the last few seasons.

Anyway my (probably very wrong!) predictions for winterfell! :

As good as dead: Brienne(likely to save jaime or something), Jorah, Grey Worm(like someone else said, he's gotten the one-day-from-retirement treatment)

Probably dead: Tormund, Davos, Pod, Dolorous Edd, Theon, Ghost, Hound, Beric(think he'll revive someone at some point which will kill him)

For the biggy death, I'm gonna say Sansa doesn't make it out. Don't quite know why just got a feeling.

Will Survive: Jaime, Tyrion(think he will be the big hero and save a lot of people in the crypts so there's some population to evacuate to Iron Islands, maybe Varys also involved here), Dany, Jon, Sam+Gilly, Arya, Bran. Jaime and Tyrion can't both die because one of them has to encounter Bronn and I do not think that will happen before or during the battle.

Feel like Arya, at some point, will whack the Night's King. Maybe not at Winterfell but maybe later. Her assassin stuff has been played up since meeting Jaquen Hagar way back when and I feel like she's gotta get somebody big. Plus her weapon with the dragonglass. And I think we all figured it'd be Cersei for a long time but that doesn't seem likely now. Darkhorse candidate is heel Dany but I don't think the show is trending that way. Also maybe could see her just taking out Night King's Dragon.

They said a thing about taking out the NK also wiping out their whole army but who knows if that's true. Maybe they'll keep coming! But just can't make more walkers/wights.

But Winterfell has to be a huge loss, and imo there has to be WW at king's landing. I actually think every single person on the Westeros main continent will be dead by season's end.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 22, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wildtortilla posted:

The consequences exploded with the Sept.

"realistically" every house should've turned against her at that point and she should've been boxed in. but nah the lannister army is invincible (apart from vs a dragon) so they just go around putting down every one.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’d like to see the iron throne itself get destroyed

Then Sam is democratically elected and Tormund and Brienne get an x rated spinoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

ruddiger posted:

4 episodes left.

Next episode will probably just be the battle at Winterfell, so after the Night's King gets chumped/Night's King chumps Team Stark, we'll have three episodes to resolve the King's Landing side of the plot, unless they're reserving the final episode for the aftermath of the war/timejump to get a glimpse of the future of Westeros, then we can see the Iron Throne plot resolve itself in episode 5.

Pretty sure the NK is flying to KL to torch the red keep, then march a army of undead Gold Cloaks and Kings Guard north in a classic pincer move.