Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

kcer posted:

this is what irritates me the most, in that they talk about how much material there is to fit into only 8 or 10 episodes, but then they're quite happy to do these 2 episodes of spinning their wheels with almost no plot progression at all

I get that you need to refresh people about every character but come on

This is my only issue with the show length. I know they talk about more budget per episode this way but I don't really buy it.

That and like I've said before, I feel the first 3 seasons were reasonably accurate book adaptations, four was a transition into "ok Winds isn't coming", and 5-7 feel like they were just rushing to get us to this wrapping up point while hitting plot points. Writing from the beginning knowing how many episodes there would be, and that GRRM content ends with ADWD, could probably have helped the pacing and the jarring book-to-no-book transition.

That said I liked the past two episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

No Wave posted:

In the knighting scene, was Brienne tearing up because of a title or was it about her relationship with Jamie? They're the only characters in the show who seem to respect one anothrer in a really uncomplicated way and seem to have generally been very good to each other.

Their fight (IN THE BOOKS!) was so well written. Jaime slowly realizes this lady is housing him as he runs through all the great fighters in Westeros, that he thinks he can beat. He was handcuffed at the time but still had two hands, and she completely waxed him.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

No Wave posted:

In the knighting scene, was Brienne tearing up because of a title or was it about her relationship with Jamie? They're the only characters in the show who seem to respect one anothrer in a really uncomplicated way and seem to have generally been very good to each other.

Is getting respected from people she respect, and getting what she deserve. In a act of friendship, not less. Shes a bit a broken character (unlady-like in a society that don't accept that), and getting knighted has fixed her feelings about this.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Brienne's two driving principles are

-my life is complicated by being a woman
-i like Jamie

So being knighted by Jamie is a big deal to her

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a reason the Aztecs made their funky spiked bats and not swords.

But D&D are about to have Arya do a Darth Maul dance through white walkers, they're not remotely concerned with realism.

I kept thinking of it as the dichotomy of the show being how the Dubgeonmaster envisioned it happening when he introduced the plot point about obsidian, right before the players all say “Naw, we’re going to crush it all into small particulate and coat the battlefield with caltrops.”

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

Both. Although I think to say it was about the title is probably not properly describing it, because the title wouldn't mean anything to Brienne if a knight she respected wasn't bestowing it to her. Being a knight was basically her life's dream, and she'd mostly given up on achieving it in any meaningful sense. So it's emotional, she's completed one of her life's goals while standing right on the edge of death, her reaction makes a lot of sense.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the knighting scene is also important in a more subtle way: it hints that the social and legal traditions of Westeros can be broken and everyone is now fine with it in a way that they wouldn't have been at the start of the story. Obvious broader implications.

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
Sure gonna miss Yara. Also, has Gemma Whelan ever received opening title billing? I feel like she deserved it over some others.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ok, finished episode, this is probably the last """character development""" stretch we will get, so now I can finally decide who I want in the spin off series:

-Tormund
-Jaime
-Brienne
-Pod
-Davos

The rest of the characters can die next episode and series end there. Spin off starts with the band travelling to Mereen going "boy, that was a close call, I'm so glad we managed to get out". Upon arriving they find out that Daario managed to establish a state of democracy and the city is prospering.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Alchenar posted:

I think the knighting scene is also important in a more subtle way: it hints that the social and legal traditions of Westeros can be broken and everyone is now fine with it in a way that they wouldn't have been at the start of the story. Obvious broader implications.

Which will hopefully lead to the end of the throne

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Pretty sure the NK is flying to KL to torch the red keep, then march a army of undead Gold Cloaks and Kings Guard north in a classic pincer move.

honestly would be dope of the "next week on..." was a fakeout and the battle for Winterfell doesn't happen yet and the undead army just stands there and waits and then cut to Kings Landing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

White walkers are the boss level bearded dudes, and wights are their braindead skeleton army, right? I remember Jon killing a white Walker and turning him into ice cubes but I don't remember him sparring with a zombie

Jon should also remember that sword fighting a white Walker is impossible because it just makes your sword explode, lol

gently caress, maybe. IDK. White walkers is such a dumbass name compared to The Others anyways. This isn't The Walking Dead.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I didnt know brain had wanted to be a knight (this may have been adequately communicated)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

lezard_valeth posted:

Ok, finished episode, this is probably the last """character development""" stretch we will get, so now I can finally decide who I want in the spin off series:

-Tormund
-Jaime
-Brienne
-Pod
-Davos

The rest of the characters can die next episode and series end there. Spin off starts with the band travelling to Mereen going "boy, that was a close call, I'm so glad we managed to get out". Upon arriving they find out that Daario managed to establish a state of democracy and the city is prospering.
Good taste in characters.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress, maybe. IDK. White walkers is such a dumbass name compared to The Others anyways. This isn't The Walking Dead.

shoulda called em the not nice ice guys imo.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Groovelord Neato posted:

shoulda called em the not nice ice guys imo.

Blue meanies

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just realized that room where Brienne gets knighted has like all my favorite characters except for The Hound and regular Arya. Such a great scene

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alchenar posted:

That's a little hokey though. It makes sense for Brienne because she slowly earned Jaime's respect. But he started by calling her names non-stop. HIS attitude of her changed, but it would take way way more for all of society to see her that way.

I mean, maybe that's what they're intending, but sorry its too easy. Real social change takes forever and involves lots of backsliding.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes instead it’s a Nicole Kidman sixth sense rip off.

Both names are the same generic fantasy.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Away all Goats posted:

I just realized that room where Brienne gets knighted has like all my favorite characters except for The Hound and regular Arya. Such a great scene

Same but I'd maybe throw Varys in too

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

No Wave posted:

I didnt know brain had wanted to be a knight (this may have been adequately communicated)

IIRC the show barely touched it at all. But in the books its a HUGE deal and he's constantly depressed about being a cripple and not being a knight until he figures out his destiny.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Well, that sure was 2+ hours of various characters talking to each other.

gosh!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think it's pretty obvious - she wears armor/carries a sword/swears oaths to people.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zaphod42 posted:

That's a little hokey though. It makes sense for Brienne because she slowly earned Jaime's respect. But he started by calling her names non-stop. HIS attitude of her changed, but it would take way way more for all of society to see her that way.

I mean, maybe that's what they're intending, but sorry its too easy. Real social change takes forever and involves lots of backsliding.

Well when most of society is dead it probably won't matter what they think.

e: Picture this, you're one of the last surviving people of King's Landing, you nearly got starved out in the Winter, and you're lucky to be alive. Ser Brienne of Tarth strolls by with her armor and sword, overseeing food distribution. You going to walk up to her and tell her she can't be a knight?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

honestly would be dope of the "next week on..." was a fakeout and the battle for Winterfell doesn't happen yet and the undead army just stands there and waits and then cut to Kings Landing

Imagine playing a strategy game with fantasy races. And you get the undead. What you do?

You use your forces to kill towns, peasants, ... some guerrilla warfare, until you have giant armies, and then ate big cities. You move more like a pandemia, until you can enact World War Z scenes where not even modern weaponry could dream to stop you.

In other words:

What you say would be "What If the Night King do the logical thing, instead of crashing into the only well defend spot in the map".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Adun posted:

Haha, fair. Others sounds generic in a good way here though, just like a pronoun. Where White Walkers seems a little too similar to walking dead others with something tacked on. Feels knockoff and cliche to me, but I admit Others isn't exactly unique.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Adun posted:

The Others is an adaptation of a story written in the late 1800s. M. Night was not the first guy to ever do a "And they were ghosts all along!!!" twist, as hard as that is to believe.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

lezard_valeth posted:

Nikolaj Coster-Waldeu please run away, this show doesn't deserve you!

He was in Gods of Egypt and deserves all of this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the white walkers/others were a bad idea anyway. the interesting stuff is the warring human factions. shoulda just been an encroaching superwinter. then again i'm a guy that also hates the dragons and wishes the outright fantasy elements were minimal.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Tei posted:

Imagine playing a strategy game with fantasy races. And you get the undead. What you do?

You use your forces to kill towns, peasants, ... some guerrilla warfare, until you have giant armies, and then ate big cities. You move more like a pandemia, until you can enact World War Z scenes where not even modern weaponry could dream to stop you.

In other words:

What you say would be "What If the Night King do the logical thing, instead of crashing into the only well defend spot in the map".

I'd do a zergling rush and quit if I don't win in the first five minutes

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I don't think it's a coincidence the walkers are attacking late at night, so the climax of the battle can be at dawn. Either the survivors pull something out of their rear end at dawn to win or at least make the night king retreat or they lose and the sun doesn't come up.

Also Davos isn't dying, he's going to live happily ever after with that lady that was smiling at him in the courtyard.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

In general sure, but in this world / setting, all the people that "matter" are here in one place, fighting an existential threat that real-world humanity hasn't ever faced. In Westeros change happens from the top down. If the accumulated lords and important people in Winterfell say Brienne is a knight, that's the way it's going to be. Westeros is in many ways even more deeply feudal than Europe was.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

See, that'd be interesting.

Then you could have a conflict where Jon tries to join the battle and save KL but Dany is like "eh gently caress Cersei though?"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

He was in Gods of Egypt and deserves all of this.

He's pretty good in Headhunters, which is a recommendable action/thriller about art thieves.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

the white walkers/others were a bad idea anyway. the interesting stuff is the warring human factions. shoulda just been an encroaching superwinter. then again i'm a guy that also hates the dragons and wishes the outright fantasy elements were minimal.

Same though. Humans being wicked to each other for believable reasons is so much more interesting than THE EVIL PEOPLE ARE COMING

Does anybody think the night king is a better villain than Joffrey?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Alchenar posted:

A rare good post in a sea of filth

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Could honestly see this happening, then could set up the whole Clegane-bowl deal with Mountain going north with the dead. Then Bronn can get to Jaime/Tyrion in the meantime etc.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think it's pretty obvious - she wears armor/carries a sword/swears oaths to people.
I thought she was just a little larpey and odd, I didnt think it meant she had a big dream.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kawalimus posted:

They said a thing about taking out the NK also wiping out their whole army but who knows if that's true. Maybe they'll keep coming! But just can't make more walkers/wights.

Arya takes out the Night King and then her skin starts turning blue and her eyes start glowing.

"There must always be... a Night King..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zaphod42 posted:

Podrick singing was great, Brienne being knighted was fantastic, but those were two short scenes. The whole episode feels like a montage in retrospect there's so much happening and none of it has enough time to really mean much other than cliche moments. That's the biggest problem I think.

I think the weakest content involved Arya and Gendry but I felt everything else that happened was genuinely affecting storytelling — while also being unabashedly fanservice-y. In addition to Brienne getting Knighted and Pod's singing, the crux of the redemption arcs for Theon and Jaime were also really, really good scenes. They're also short, but they have a lot of impact based on each character's history I thought. The Hound and Beric on the ramparts was a good comedic beat, Tormund's origin story was a great comedic beat. Missandei and Grey Worm talking about their future together, despite being star-crossed lovers and are ultimately in a doomed situation was a bit sad.

Jorah receiving Heartsbane from Sam was another of my favorite moments with how the two have been connected; Sam talking about how Jeor Mormont taught him to be a man and to do the right thing was pretty :unsmith: and then doing the right thing by gifting his family's ancestral sword to Jorah just before the battle was an emotional moment. "I'll wield it in his memory... to guard the realms of men" is such a great line, interconnecting House Tarly with House Mormont through Valyrian steel. The Jon and Dany stuff, was ehh, serviceable to the plot. But if they write Jon to want his rightful claim to the Iron Throne, then gently caress that, that'll be bullshit.

I mentioned it a ways earlier, but the entire episode reminded me of some scenes from Saving Private Ryan, which arguably has some really great character moments so seems like it'd be a good model to work off. Particularly the scenes when they're resting in the church, and the moments before the German forces arrive at their position on the bridge. They were these little emotional moments to beef up the characters just a little bit more before they get into the real poo poo where their lives are at stake. Again, it's a derivative trope of "just before the battle" but I thought it all was pretty effective.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 22, 2019