Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

The Night King kicks Theon in the crotch while Theon is all:smug:

The night king is like "huuuuuhhh??" then theon pulls his mask off to reveal arya! Of course then shes like "girls dont have testicles" and the night king is like "oh that explains it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The night king is like "huuuuuhhh??" then theon pulls his mask off to reveal arya! Of course then shes like "girls dont have testicles" and the night king is like "oh that explains it".

I am no man!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I thought she was just a little larpey and odd, I didnt think it meant she had a big dream.

Maybe "dream" isn't the right word. She's been a knight since the beginning of the show, at least in her actions. She represents all the same things that knights do, she's ferociously loyal to whoever she serves, has honor, all that stuff. But because she's a woman she was never allowed to officially have the title. So for the first time she's being properly acknowledged as the thing she's actually been all these years, and by someone she loves and respects.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Honestly I think it would be a pretty awesome twist if somehow the attack was on King's Landing but the only way I can see that working would be if it was just the Night King and his dragon. You can't sail the white walkers there so there's no other way to get an army that far down. And I don't think the Night King would take that kind of a risk.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Night's king kicks him in the crotch and theon grins, then Night's King talks for the first time! And says "Fool, it hurts like hell to get kicked in the groin whether you have balls or not!!" And theon crumples over.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rhaegar posted:

Honestly I think it would be a pretty awesome twist if somehow the attack was on King's Landing but the only way I can see that working would be if it was just the Night King and his dragon. You can't sail the white walkers there so there's no other way to get an army that far down. And I don't think the Night King would take that kind of a risk.

Maybe he just sent the zombie dragon down there to raze it to the ground.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We will know based on how far down the ice tiles have been flipped in the opening credits.

The episode preview for 3 didn't show a single enemy combatant, right? Just winterfell defenders getting pumped?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

CornHolio posted:

Maybe he just sent the zombie dragon down there to raze it to the ground.

This would be a real disappointing way to deal with kings landing imo. That city needs to be properly sacked. The dragon is the cherry on top.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

Same though. Humans being wicked to each other for believable reasons is so much more interesting than THE EVIL PEOPLE ARE COMING

Does anybody think the night king is a better villain than Joffrey?

I remember GRRM saying his inspiration was “what is Aragorn’s tax policy?” and I like that. I like that this universe has always been a more human, relatable take on an epic euro fantasy universe. It wouldn’t be the same if it was just “medieval drama, but fake.” The mix of high and low fantasy makes ASOIAF ASOIAF.

Plus the zomboys have been around since day one and “this Game of Thrones poo poo doesn’t matter” has been a running theme since then too. Idk what some of y’all were expecting.

Thread challenge: what’s the best possible small council for maximum good dialogue and sick dunks? I vote:

Queen Dany, Hand Tywin, Tormund, Varys, Olenna, S2 Tyrion, Hound. Really I’d love to see Tywin commenting on Jon and Dany in any capacity

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I know it doesn't matter because we're pressed for time but no one in this show is acting rationally. The decision to stand at Winterfell only makes sense if you know the finale is coming.

1. Use your army while you have an army.

Showing up to stab the bad guys all together is maybe half of what you do with an army. They could and should be sending outriders to track the White Walkers, to say nothing of using dragon and Magic Bran recon. The Dothraki are basically the Mongols and they should be harrowing the dead’s flanks from the moment they arrived. If nothing else, confirm that your fancy dragonglass poo poo actually works before you're committed.

The corrolary to this is that Daenarys majorly hosed up by not taking Cersei off the board. She lost her fleet last season, so if she was able to get her army off Dragonstone she did it by ferrying them off piece by piece. From Dragonstone, she'd know that Euron's fleet left King's Landing, but wouldn't know where they went. Rook's Rest is a day’s row away and incredibly close to the capital. Her Dothraki would have had to ride around King's Landing to get to the Flaming Fields in the first place. If Dany knew that Cersei was going to gently caress her over, which she did, then the peace conference was bullshit from the stat and they should have burned her on the spot and taken the city by surprise.

2. Winterfell is a dumb place for a last stand.

Winterfell is defenseable against traditional armies but this isn't a regular army that they can outlast through a seige. They can't fit everyone into the city, can't feed everyone if they could and the bulk of the Targaryan troops would be useless. They recognize this and are planning on a set-piece battle beneath the walls, but that's dumb too. If they lose, the castle is hosed because the enemy has a dragon and icicle javelin anti-air.

Further, why are they hiding people in the crypts at all? The grim fatalism makes for good t.v. but they weren't beseiged until just now. You hide women and children in the crypts for a traditional assault because they aren't the actual targets and they might get killed accidentally. A normal conquering army probably isn't going to slaughter them, but this one will turn them into reinforcements. Anyone in the city who can't actively fight is a drain on resources and a potential enemy recruit.

3. Tyrion, Varys, Davos, Sam, Gendry, Jaime, Sansa and Bran (especially Bran) have other poo poo they should be doing. The rainbow coalition in the North should be fanning out to thier respective homes and gathering armies.

Dornish forces are unbloodied and sworn to Dany. If Winterfell falls Dany could still bug out and have a power base for if and when the dead chew through King's Landing. Someone who can't fight but can handle politics and organization (Varys or Tyrion) should be headed to Dorne to get them marching north or at least keep them in the fold.

Samwell Tarley is the head of a major House in the Reach and technically Cersei’s Warden of the South. He should be headed there with either Varys or Tyrion to organize troops and supplies in Dany's name and to put the Citadel to work on more anti White-Walker tech.

Jaime Lannister is the true heir to his house, beloved among his people, and Lannister troops will absolutely follow his orders over Cersei's. The Lannister armies are comparably depleted but if the North can still field troops then Westerlands can too. He and Sansa should be on the way to Casterly Rock yesterday.

I get why Sansa would want to stay in Winterfell, but Jaime should drop her and Davos off in the Riverlands on his way South because she would be more useful there than she is Mean Girlsing Kelly C. If Edmure isn't dead, she could help him get his poo poo together. If he is dead, she might have the strongest claim to House Tully. Either way, the Riverlands have had a few years to recover from the war, the Frey’s are dead and ain't nobody speaking for Circee. It's another source of men and materials that you might want if you're dealing with Armegeddon.

Same deal with Gendry. The last living Baratheon, even a bastard, is going to have more sway with the Stormlords than Cersi Lannister. Especially if his claim to Storm's End is supported by House Dondarian and House Tarth.

loving Bran. If he's right and is what the Night King is actually chasing then the war is over you won. Use him as bait, but don't be dumb about it. Put him on a boat to Skagos and see if the dead follow. Send him on a world tour of sparsely populated islands while you recover your strength.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

teagone posted:

But if they write Jon to want his rightful claim to the Iron Throne, then gently caress that, that'll be bullshit.

I think this is the absolute worst possible writing decision they could make and I am so worried that they sort of have him heading in that direction.

Rhaegar posted:

I do like the idea of this twist but there's absolutely no reason for them to attack King's Landing first. The Night King wants Bran, not Cersei. He probably also knows that the dragons and Jon are a threat.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
It don't make sense for the Night King to attack winterfell.

A real army need to attack winterfell, because a real army need ammo and food and that is moved in trucks that can be attacked by the enemy, you can't leave a enemy behind you burning your wood and ammo trucks.

But the army of the death don't need that, can just move forward like a snowball, making his army bigger and bigger and bigger.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Tei posted:

A real army need to attack winterfell, because a real army need ammo and food and that is moved in trucks that can be attacked by the enemy, you can't leave a enemy behind you burning your wood and ammo trucks.

But the army of the death don't need that, can just move forward like a snowball, making his army bigger and bigger and bigger.

He wants Bran and knows he's in Winterfell.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tei posted:

It does make a lot of sense to attack winterfell when the thing you want the most is in winterfell.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Alec Eiffel posted:

It was a great episode!

i agree

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

2. Winterfell is a dumb place for a last stand.

Ned Stark once said 500 men could hold Winterfell against 10,000. But Ned also got his head chopped off for being too honorable and not playing the game right, so maybe he's wrong. Still though. His words have to mean something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Twenty Good Men could easily hold Winterfell against the undead hordes

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ramsay's corpse is going to rise and Theon will finally get his chance at payback

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

teagone posted:

Ned Stark once said 500 men could hold Winterfell against 10,000. But Ned also got his head chopped off for being too honorable and not playing the game right, so maybe he's wrong. Still though. His words have to mean something.

The Starks know that kind of stuff. You can trust them on that. Just the whole politic games stuff they can't do

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Everything is at Winterfell because it's Winter and the North has been struck by massive snowstorms and if you aren't literally an army of men at peak physical fitness then you aren't going anywhere. You don't want to get into an endurance race in a blizzard with an army of zombies, it will end badly for you. This is fine.

What they should really be regretting as a missed opportunity is having someone dumb say to Theon "what use is a guy without a cock in a fight" and have Grey Worm and a dozen unsullied turn round with a 'the gently caress you say?' line.

Theon's redemption arc is good and complete as is, but it would have been nice to have that last piece of his self-worth put back in place by someone who can credibly say to him 'what's happened to you doesn't mean you can't be a fighter, the secret is will' or something like that.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

Ramsay's corpse is going to rise and Theon will finally get his chance at payback

Gonna be kinda weird to see an undead made out of literal dog poo poo.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

For all that I think this show has gotten dumb I'm genuinly excited to see what they've cooked up with all that time & money for the next episode

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Dragons can still be killed so flying alone to King's Landing is pretty much a guaranteed suicide mission even if he manages to cause some damage first. It would be a real bonehead move for the Night King to split his forces just so he can swerve us, the audience.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rosalind posted:

Gonna be kinda weird to see an undead made out of literal dog poo poo.

We are getting centuries old spoopy skeletons next episode. don't rule anything out

except elephants

and giant spiders

those shits are never gonna happen

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

they should burn another kid

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Crimpolioni posted:

For all that I think this show has gotten dumb I'm genuinly excited to see what they've cooked up with all that time & money for the next episode

All the political intrigue, backstabbing, and drama have culminated into a big-rear end fanservice-as-gently caress spectacle, and yeah, I'm excited for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Can someone explain the logic of having Bran stand out in the open?

They want to lure the night king away from his army so they can kill him... so they're somehow assuming that the knight's king is gonna siege Winterfell but then be like "oh hey, Bran's over there" and leave his army to go march by himself after Bran? Why wouldn't he take the army with him to wherever Bran is? I don't get it.

"We need to protect Bran, not too near or the Night King won't come"

...what? :psyduck:

So the plan is to pretend Bran is switching sides or something? Seems like a lot of assumptions about a rather alien enemy

This is actually something I was thinking. Like yeah, Bran knows the NK wants him, that tracks, but then "not too close or he won't come" as if they're playing Warcraft and they know his exact behavior was really hacky writing.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Fellatio del Toro posted:

they should burn another kid

burn arya

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

teagone posted:

Yeah but how many undead dragons?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Night King is not as good of a villain as Joffrey but drat, the end of Hardhome was badass when he outright undoes everything Jon et al just accomplished (killing some wights) and then some (raised mother loving Wun-Wun and that one Wildling woman up). Then he just stands on the shore and glowers. Good stuff.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Further, why are they hiding people in the crypts at all? The grim fatalism makes for good t.v. but

lol

maybe just stop the thought process here next time

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Hobo Clown posted:

Dragons can still be killed so flying alone to King's Landing is pretty much a guaranteed suicide mission even if he manages to cause some damage first. It would be a real bonehead move for the Night King to split his forces just so he can swerve us, the audience.

What's the drawback of leaving a skeleton(ha ha) crew at Winterfell? What are they gonna do build a new wall and seal them to the south? Cersei is pretty ill-prepared for all this and isn't armed to the teeth with dragonglass weapons. Plus they got that whole iron fleet and Golden Company for extra manpower for the dead.

If they wanna get real stupid with it they can have undead Cersei be part of the attack on winterfell! hah

Also what rules apply to the dragon I can't remember--is he an undead wight type or is he a proper Other/WW. It might yet be hard to kill that thing.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Hobo Clown posted:

the dragon IS dead. the only way cersei could kill it if the NK really did try to zerg rush KL is with either dragonglass scorpion arrows (rare) or valyrian steel arrows (super rare).

Then again, she has Qyburn on his side. Dude probably halfway developing wyldfire nukes for all we know

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

WampaLord posted:

lol

maybe just stop the thought process here next time

I really think that this is one reason that GRRM couldn't finish the series. Dumping all the characters into the same place for the climax to an epic doesn't fit how he's written the series. It would be like switching from The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Volume 1 to the screenplay of Pompeii.

Also, he lazy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rewatching Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead the other day, goddamn Iain Glen looked young and handsome as hell playing Hamlet

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kawalimus posted:

What's the drawback of leaving a skeleton(ha ha) crew at Winterfell? What are they gonna do build a new wall and seal them to the south? Cersei is pretty ill-prepared for all this and isn't armed to the teeth with dragonglass weapons. Plus they got that whole iron fleet and Golden Company for extra manpower for the dead.

If they wanna get real stupid with it they can have undead Cersei be part of the attack on winterfell! hah

Also what rules apply to the dragon I can't remember--is he an undead wight type or is he a proper Other/WW. It might yet be hard to kill that thing.

Skeleton crew burned by dragons

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Night King split his army and is about to take out an ill prepared Kings Landing.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Skeleton crew burned by dragons

Which won't make a difference when the dead golden company comes a marching up north. Beating the skeleton crew is a hollow victory if KL is sacked. It won't take much to win there as Cersei is ill-prepared.

Cersei's whole master plan here is that the dead and the coalition will wipe each other out when that's what she's effectively been doing for the dead army this whole series.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 22, 2019

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chalks posted:

*child character kills dozens of people*

this is cool and good television

*becomes an adult and has consensual sex*

WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS DEPRAVED poo poo

Yeah, that scene was probably some of the most agency Ayra has had in years and one of the most normal things she’s done in the same time period.

That said it was still weird for the aforementioned reason of we watched Williams grow up on the show and she’s like a sister to a lot of viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Kawalimus posted:

If one dude on one dragon ends up being OP enough to take out the entire south on its own then it will be incredibly silly if/when the plucky folks at Winterfell are still able to manage some kind of victory by the end.

Also how would Night King know how prepared Cersei is or isn't?