Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Frosty- posted:

You have good bikes. :3:

Today I put the fender eliminator on. I didn't follow the instructions, so it is a hack-job of the highest echelon, but the light comes on so I'm just gonna not ever speak about what happened ever again, and quietly do it correctly, later.

Look how ~shiny~ it is.

:swoon:

That's a good-lookin' bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

ADINSX posted:

Where'd you get that front fairing? Do they make them in black? Yours looks great :)

Isn't that fairing stock on the RS cafe model?

edit: regardless, check here: https://japan.webike.net/products/23838576.html - looks like you can get it in metallic black to match your bike

edit 2: thread on a UK Z900 forum where a guy in Oklahoma has pics of the black version installed on his bike https://www.z900rs.co.uk/index.php?topic=544.40

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 7, 2019

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

ADINSX posted:

Hi z900rs buddy
Brother! :cheerdoge:

I got mine through Samurider, although I think they're available through Webike and probably some other people. I like Samurider because you can just email them with questions and requests and a person who speaks English very well will help. They can also get ahold of other parts that aren't necessarily listed on their website. I got the Chic Design Road Comet. It is not cheap – I think I paid $530, shipped – but it's a really nicely made fiberglass piece with correctly matched paint. They come in all the colorways that match factory bikes, and unpainted as well. If you do order one it'll take a long time to get to you, maybe like six to eight weeks.

My windscreen cracked around the bolts, so I think I gooned them down too hard. I thought I was being gentle. The replacement windscreen is ludicrously expensive at $180, but I kind of deserve to have to pay it in order to learn my lesson (hamfisting simple things seems to be a pattern with me). The fairing and screen aren't braced, really. There's a small metal bracket that attaches to the bottom and holds it in place, but up at the top it can jiggle around a lot on rough roads, or at speeds above 80 mph. At first this made me nervous, but I think it's not really a big deal. I don't expect to see anything break because of it. I might try to design a thing to have someone print for me that braces it a little better, but that's effort, so...

My stupid dealership broke my tail plastic before they ever delivered the bike, but I see the same company now makes a tail that's 70 mm longer, so maybe I can con them into scoring me one of those instead of an oem replacement, just to be a little different.

How do you like yours, so far? The Internet is full of baseless poo poo-talk about every aspect of the bike (no, the CP3 isn't a cooler engine), but I love mine. The only problem I have is I get all nervous about particles in my pants effing up the tank, so I ride around like an idiot hipster with my knees splayed out. Must procure tank-grippy-things.

HandlingByJebus posted:

:swoon:

That's a good-lookin' bike.
Yay! Thank you!

It gets so much more positive attention than my FZ-07 did. Some girl once called my Yamaha "your little scooter", but the Kawi got called "tough", and I've found complementary notes under the seat strap. Also it is fun to ride, which I do occasionally when not posing, expectantly waiting for passersby to shower me with praise.

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 7, 2019

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'm one of those people who like the crossplane triple more than the 4 in the Z900RS, but I like pretty much everything else about the Z better. You guys should enjoy those bikes, they're drat good looking.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Frosty- posted:

I got the Chic Design Road Comet. It is not cheap – I think I paid $530, shipped – but it's a really nicely made fiberglass piece with correctly matched paint.

Oof, they're nice but yeah that's a bit expensive. I'll give it a few paychecks before getting that, and I'll try riding it on a more still day, I've never had a problem with wind riding naked bikes before, we had 20-30 mph winds in Seattle today and it was really gusty.

Frosty- posted:

How do you like yours, so far? The Internet is full of baseless poo poo-talk about every aspect of the bike (no, the CP3 isn't a cooler engine), but I love mine. The only problem I have is I get all nervous about particles in my pants effing up the tank, so I ride around like an idiot hipster with my knees splayed out. Must procure tank-grippy-things.
Yay! Thank you!

I really like it. I had a Moto Guzzi v7 special before this, so I was looking for something with classic lines, but a modern... everything else. I was also looking for something with a pretty upright riding position because I'm old and lazy. The z900rs fit that bill pretty well, I also looked at the Yamaha XSR900 but the finish on the kawasaki seemed nicer (Yamaha's plastic tank is a huge turnoff)

I've only ridden it home at this point, I bought it earlier today, but my initial impressions are really positive... its comfortable and fast, and surprisingly nimble, I guess because of the fairly aggressive rake angle. I've read that the suspension is set to the softest settings from the factory, and I'll probably just leave it there, but its nice to have options to adjust things if I want...

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 4, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Frosty- posted:

Look how ~shiny~ it is.

Niiiice

Enjoy the chrome while it lasts! Which will probably be a drat sight longer than mine since I assume you won't be dailying it in the middle of winter.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just picked up this ‘74 DT175 as a trade for some wheels I had laying around. Rebuilt top end recently. Just needs the exhaust put back on, a gearbox oil change, and should be back ripping and tearing.

The exhaust is just laying there basically. It’s a puzzle of contortion to get it on, and I haven’t figured it out totally.

The gang is growing

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 7, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's a very fun and eclectic group of bikes :yosnice:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 4, 2020

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They stop as long as you use both of them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

They stop...

...eventually

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just another update to the stable. Been looking for something in the 300-400cc range just to tool around on since I miss my DRZ400SM. I didn’t want to pay the premium that the SM still commands on used and especially not on a new one. I have been looking into these all winter and finally pulled the trigger. New leftover ‘18 KTM 390 Duke

The currently-registered stable, arranged by displacement

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
What'd you pay for it, if you don't mind sharing?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

MetaJew posted:

What'd you pay for it, if you don't mind sharing?

$4949 plus the other bullshit, cash. Used ones are like $4500 around here so new made some sense despite the extra setup fees.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

$4949 plus the other bullshit, cash. Used ones are like $4500 around here so new made some sense despite the extra setup fees.

That's not too bad! Is there any way to get around the "assembly" fee that shops seem to charge for new bikes? I've never bought a bike or car from a dealer so I find it a bit intimidating.

Traffic and drivers in my city has gotten so bad that I really don't enjoy riding on the street. I'm thinking of selling my SV and buying some sort of track bike.

Of course then at the MotoGP race I sat on the new 690smc and the rc390 and I wouldn't mind owning either... Maybe I can find a cheap track prepped RC or Ninja 400.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

MetaJew posted:

That's not too bad! Is there any way to get around the "assembly" fee that shops seem to charge for new bikes? I've never bought a bike or car from a dealer so I find it a bit intimidating.

Traffic and drivers in my city has gotten so bad that I really don't enjoy riding on the street. I'm thinking of selling my SV and buying some sort of track bike.

Of course then at the MotoGP race I sat on the new 690smc and the rc390 and I wouldn't mind owning either... Maybe I can find a cheap track prepped RC or Ninja 400.

I think unless you take it home in the crate most dealers will charge the setup fee. It’s like $400, and there’s a $450 “destination” charge like car dealers have as well.

The dealer I went to actually had a new track-prepped RC390 for $6,999. I half-considered buying that one just to have but that would have been purely impulsive and completely unnecessary.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

MetaJew posted:

It's negotiable just like anything. I didn't pay it on 2 of my 3 new scooter purchases.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost
Shock the Monkey! This thing is so much fun!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

rode around on my dad bike with another dad bike ridden by my dad

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Discount Dracula posted:

Those things are so cool. I really wish I had the means for a tiny bike right now. Maybe I can convince my wife we need to get one for our daugher.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Fun day today, put the 17''s back on the DRZ with some brand new Michelins and went out to teach a mate how to wheelie his new to him ktm.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What's the story on the DR650 back there?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

echomadman posted:

Fun day today, put the 17''s back on the DRZ with some brand new Michelins and went out to teach a mate how to wheelie his new to him ktm.

Did you take them through the car wash? Getting motorcycle tires into the track to pull you along is a pain in the rear end.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Protip: make sure you're wearing your waterproofs, the air dryers never get all of the dampness out of your crotch :(

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef

Discount Dracula posted:

Love those little things, must go and test ride one.

I just got this 2017 triumph street twin. It looks, feels and rides like it’s brand new for a fair price. Pretty happy.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Is this the new cbr 650?

Here is my little 250.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Just another update to the stable. Been looking for something in the 300-400cc range just to tool around on since I miss my DRZ400SM. I didn’t want to pay the premium that the SM still commands on used and especially not on a new one. I have been looking into these all winter and finally pulled the trigger. New leftover ‘18 KTM 390 Duke

The currently-registered stable, arranged by displacement

Sup fellow Duke Bro. Hope you're enjoying yours as much as I love mine.

Get the Akra slip on. Is the perfect amount of loud.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

mulligan posted:

Sup fellow Duke Bro. Hope you're enjoying yours as much as I love mine.

Get the Akra slip on. Is the perfect amount of loud.

I’ve got about 45 miles on it at this point but every one of those has been awesome. It’s a great handling bike and supremely rideable. I have been looking at slip-ons, just gotta watch some videos to see what sound is most up my alley.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I mentioned an RC390 to a friend who races in CMRA novice class, and he mentioned that this engine was known for blowing headgaskets.

Have the later models been revised at all, or is this still something to worry about?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

MetaJew posted:

I mentioned an RC390 to a friend who races in CMRA novice class, and he mentioned that this engine was known for blowing headgaskets.

Have the later models been revised at all, or is this still something to worry about?

From everything I am seeing it’s the Gen 1 bikes blowing the HG.

I also see some information that the head has been redesigned in the Gen 2 bikes (2017+) to resolve this issue.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I’ve got about 45 miles on it at this point but every one of those has been awesome. It’s a great handling bike and supremely rideable. I have been looking at slip-ons, just gotta watch some videos to see what sound is most up my alley.

get a wings exhaust instead. made by an ex akro engineer. way cheaper and comes with different baffles so you can choose how much you wanna annoy prius drivers with Low T

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

How tall are the two of you?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

pokie posted:

Is this the new cbr 650?

Here is my little 250.

Nice. That looks like a fun corner.

Mine is the 1000, I went 600F -> 600RR -> 1000RR.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

FBS posted:

I’m 5’10” or 178cm and I feel like everything fits me perfectly. Seat height, pegs, bar position. Heck even the mirrors have the best adjustment for me out of any of my bikes.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

FBS posted:

I am 6 ft, 195 pounds.

I am juuust where the bike looks a bit small for me but not "bear in a unicycle" small.

Comfort is great as the bars are nice and upright and your legs have enough room where you can do some distance on it.

My only issues coming from an MT 03 (naked R3) is that, compared to that bike, it is a bit buzzy on the highway. I mean, the 390 is smooth... For a KTM that is.

I'd use the "character" bullshit excuse.

My main issue is when I ride with a "particular" group of friends.

As the slowest bike in that group is that monstrously fast ZX10R you see there, keeping up with them was... interesting.:q:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

mulligan posted:

I am 6 ft, 195 pounds.

I am juuust where the bike looks a bit small for me but not "bear in a unicycle" small.

Comfort is great as the bars are nice and upright and your legs have enough room where you can do some distance on it.

My only issues coming from an MT 03 (naked R3) is that, compared to that bike, it is a bit buzzy on the highway. I mean, the 390 is smooth... For a KTM that is.

I'd use the "character" bullshit excuse.

My main issue is when I ride with a "particular" group of friends.

As the slowest bike in that group is that monstrously fast ZX10R you see there, keeping up with them was... interesting.:q:

The Duke is nowhere near as fast as my Firebolt, but to be honest on a back road it’s way better, and I have decent back roads around here. Narrower tires and lower weight allow it to tip in better into corners, and you can definitely be more aggressive on the throttle with no fear of reprisal. The nicest thing about the XB9R is the endless shove of torque in any gear. Put it in 5th at 30mph and just roll on the gas to stupid speeds for a two-wheeled tractor.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The V-twin power band is just perfect, flat, rewarding... huge i4s in bikes come close but...

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

The V-twin power band is just perfect, flat, rewarding... huge i4s in bikes come close but...

It's.

(not leaking, just melted snow from timothy lake :D )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

I got my old Blade on the street again after letting it stand still in my garage for the last 3-4 years.
I spent last winter doing engine service, bodywork, suspension and various other work.

I need new tires. The ones on there are 8-year old Dunlop Sportsmarts, good in their day, but they´ve probably lost a good deal of their grip in the meantime. I'm afraid to put any kind of lean angle on the bike.
I need to tweak the suspension settings. The rebound and compression damping are probably all wrong, the front is pogo-ing all over the place.

(edit:spelling)

Return Loss fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 27, 2019