Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
:psyduck: I confused myself I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

packetmantis posted:

:psyduck: I confused myself I guess.

It's not just you, I saw an article a few days ago about Trebek signing off for the season. I guess it must have meant they've just filmed the last ep of the season.

Unrelated, anybody know of a non-TV-subscription way to watch since the reddit guy got shut down? :(

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

El Jeffe posted:

It's not just you, I saw an article a few days ago about Trebek signing off for the season. I guess it must have meant they've just filmed the last ep of the season.

Unrelated, anybody know of a non-TV-subscription way to watch since the reddit guy got shut down? :(

Buy rabbit ears :v:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Now that you mention it, they are pretty cheap... :wal:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

finally get a contestant that wagers properly and now i don't want him to pass jennings.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Yeah, Ken treats Jeopardy as a trivia game with a betting component. James treats Jeopardy as a betting game with a trivia component.

What's kind of funny is that learning proper betting strategy takes a trivial amount of time compared to the factual knowledge studying required of a champion contestant.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Is it normal for contestants to interrupt Trebek like James does? Dude never waits for Alex to finish talking before he blurts out the next pick.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Inspector 34 posted:

Is it normal for contestants to interrupt Trebek like James does? Dude never waits for Alex to finish talking before he blurts out the next pick.

Yes, it’s not uncommon from a bunch of the more successful players who tend to rub people the wrong way (Alex Jacob, Arthur Chu, Matt Jackson).

Head contestant coordinator Maggie Speak tells us to be curt with picking categories prior to the taping, since they want us to clear the board within the allotted time for the round, and wasting time prevents that. Some people rush more than the average contestant does and makes it seem rude, but Alex really doesn’t mind, he’s used to it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GhostStalker posted:

Yes, it’s not uncommon from a bunch of the more successful players who tend to rub people the wrong way (Alex Jacob, Arthur Chu, Matt Jackson).

Head contestant coordinator Maggie Speak tells us to be curt with picking categories prior to the taping, since they want us to clear the board within the allotted time for the round, and wasting time prevents that. Some people rush more than the average contestant does and makes it seem rude, but Alex really doesn’t mind, he’s used to it.

Alex has a bro crush on James, so he def doesn’t mind that James is quick.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GhostStalker posted:

People seem to forget that there's real actual money at stake for the contestants too, unlike for the TV play-alongs, so if a contestant has to choose between loving up their own flow and maybe being short with the host, there's one choice that's smart and one that isn't

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I wish he'd start interrupting during the interviews.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

MorgaineDax posted:

I wish he'd start interrupting during the interviews.

Those get edited down quite a bit a lot of the time hahaha.

And yeah I mean James is a dick but I will take someone who interrupts Alex to keep the flow going over the morons who go "Ummmm.... can I get.... The History of the Roman Empire... for... $400?" every single time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
You never wanna be counted among the entire-category-sayers

"I'll take 'Male Characters from the TV Show Game Of Thrones' for $200, Alex"

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Arthur Chu deliberately shortened the category titles in weird ways to confuse the other contestants if they weren't paying close attention to what the category was and viewers complained because they weren't paying attention

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Arthur Chu is a million times more annoying than James, because he's intentionally an rear end in a top hat. James is just somewhere on the spectrum and not great at human interaction.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Title shortening has been going on for decades. Sometimes the writers get too clever.

I also agree ^^^^ James is well on the spectrum. Not deep enough to not know he comes across as an rear end in a top hat and generally unlikable. But also not so deep that they need a restraining order (unlike Wheel of Fortune guy).

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 22, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

arthur was trash. you go on national television and can't even iron a shirt? wager 5 bucks because you're a nerd that can't answer a gimme sports daily double. get outta here.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Groovelord Neato posted:

arthur was trash. you go on national television and can't even iron a shirt? wager 5 bucks because you're a nerd that can't answer a gimme sports daily double. get outta here.

the correctest opinion

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I think if you're smart enough to win nearly a million bucks on Jeopardy in a few weeks you're pretty awesome. It's about the game. It ain't the Bachelor.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

1glitch0 posted:

I think if you're smart enough to win nearly a million bucks on Jeopardy in a few weeks you're pretty awesome. It's about the game. It ain't the Bachelor.

I think more people should play to win on the bachelor

e: Speaking of, I wonder if Chris Harrison is going to find a new game show now that millionaire's dead (i think?). Really enjoy him in the hosting role

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spokes posted:

the bachelor should turn into a runaway more often

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Spokes posted:

e: Speaking of, I wonder if Chris Harrison is going to find a new game show now that millionaire's dead (i think?). Really enjoy him in the hosting role

Play to win for a non-marriage or a divorce versus a million dollars?

That's certainly a choice.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Being awesome at trivia and being a douchebag of a human being are not mutually exclusive things.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

HookShot posted:

Being awesome at trivia and being a douchebag of a human being are not mutually exclusive things.

I agree. And "Are You A Douchebag?" might be a fun show to watch. But we're watching a trivia show. The dude is owning it. Anyone who knows that many things is probably sometimes bad at parties. It's still something to be respected.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

After tonight’s win he should break a million tomorrow!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

Booooo. Arthur was a bit weird, but I always felt he got way too much flack for not that much controversy.

HookShot posted:

Ding ding ding. This.

1glitch0 posted:

I agree. And "Are You A Douchebag?" might be a fun show to watch. But we're watching a trivia show. The dude is owning it. Anyone who knows that many things is probably sometimes bad at parties. It's still something to be respected.

No, we can both agree he’s obviously extremely good at trivia, and a loving rear end in a top hat. gently caress him.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I wonder how badly James's metagame would get hosed by a strong competitor deliberately pacing the game like an octogenarian with an Alabama drawl.

It's fun to see all of the challengers falling into the exact same trap game after game after game. They all continue running the board from the bottom up while James is the only person in play with any kind of actual buzzer experience, effectively helping him take all the high-value questions off the board before they've developed any buzzer experience themselves. It's like watching a whole room full of people gently caress up the Wason Rule.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 23, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

But also not so deep that they need a restraining order (unlike Wheel of Fortune guy).

What's the story here?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Missive from 2090: James still champion, having used his winnings to become a brain in a jar; AIlex TreBot has resorted to asking him to recite limericks during the interview portion.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I wonder how much less of an advantage this guy would have if the people he was going against watched his games on a once a day basis like the TV audience.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder how much less of an advantage this guy would have if the people he was going against watched his games on a once a day basis like the TV audience.

I think it's been said that the people who are going up against him now would have seen his first few episodes by the time they taped.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ken Jennings said in an interview that once his shows started airing the other contestants were intimidated and nervous while he was calm because he had a lot of experience.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mantis42 posted:

What's the story here?

https://www.eonline.com/news/34368/contestant-stalks-wheel-of-fortune

https://gameshowfollies.blogspot.com/2011/12/immortal-raymond.html

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

I think it's been said that the people who are going up against him now would have seen his first few episodes by the time they taped.

While it’s def possible James is good enough to get to that point, jeopardy tapes 5 shows a day. At most, James has been on set for 3 days.

My wife taped in November, it aired first week of January. That general turn around time was about 6 weeks. Depending on how many weeks of taping, there like, 30-40 games before you would get to that point (someone correct me if I’m wrong). Ken Jennings did get to that point, but I think he was the only one.

Zero One posted:

Ken Jennings said in an interview that once his shows started airing the other contestants were intimidated and nervous while he was calm because he had a lot of experience.

This. The number 1 obstacle in Jeopardy is psychology. Pretty much anyone making it on the show is good. The question is how do you handle the pressure, and not be psyched out when you watch the person you are about to play crush the two people one game prior to you.

My wife played someone who ended up being a 4 (or 5) game champion, and everyone had him pegged as a threat as soon as warm ups (I noticed him right away). So getting yourself to the mental point of “gently caress this guy, I’m just as good as he is,” is very difficult when you haven’t won a game yet. And for the record, my wife lost, but she kept up and made it not a run away, sometimes you just don’t get the daily doubles (one of which was a question about the city we live in!!).

But yeah, it’s super hard for going up against “normal” 2-5 day champions. I would loving melt if I was up and after my name it was “guy who is basically the heir to ken Jennings.”

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, when Erik was up to something like $7000 by the first commercial break on the Monday show when I taped and everyone else was at like $300 a bunch of us were looking at each other going "oh poo poo".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it'd be great is james lost on an easy final like ken did.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
And if it happened tonight

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For that to happen he needs to not be in a massive runaway at the end and for that to happen someone needs to beat his strategy and knowledge in the earlier rounds. I can't remember the last time he wasn't in the lead for the entire game.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

it'd be great is james lost on an easy final like ken did.
James will win or lose long before final

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vulture Culture posted:

James will win or lose long before final

Yeah, it'll definitely be two missed daily doubles when one or more of the others are close enough that he goes all in.