Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've started my re-read again after the Epilogue. And yeah I def see the similarity between Doc Scratch and Ultimate Dirk. Especially their shared fondness for Rose.

Also we never did get an answer on the Horrorterrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Meat spoiler: Am I the only one who read Vriska’s reaction to that as a very blatant “this is you, this is what you sound like” at the post-Act 7 fanbase

I mean, it's that, but it's also Dirk hating Vriska because she's another manipulator and cheering (as the not-yet-revealed narrator) when she takes a hit.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've started my re-read again after the Epilogue. And yeah I def see the similarity between Doc Scratch and Ultimate Dirk. Especially their shared fondness for Rose.

I do wonder if there's a bit of a metacontext for this. I mean, Hussie has said he put a lot of his own personality in Dave and even more into Dirk. And Dirk orange and Hussie orange are pretty drat similar. Given that we've got three authors here, one might speculate that Hussie worked more on the Meat side and lent it his particular brand of just balls-to-the-wall weirdness.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 22, 2019

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Reading both of these stories at the same time alternating chapters was the right decision.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

One thing that makes me feel like this isn't over yet is that it seems like it would be irresistible to extend the character-narrator concept to other characters, especially Rose, who's already Ultimate and whose instances have written versions of a novel which was explicitly referenced in both Meat and Candy.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Losing track of how many iterations of the story there are. I don't even mean like two stories as in Meat and Candy, I mean there's the story, Homestuck, that Hussie and some folks work on. Then there's the story of Homestuck, which is what happens and how it hangs together as an audience experience and whether the characters are interesting to us and we can follow what's going on. Then there's The Story, which is a narrative construct within the story of Homestuck whose Continuity (defined as causal completeness) is crucial for maintaining the coherence of the multiverse, even for characters and places defined as outside of that multiverse. Then there's all the individual stories and arcs and chapters and what have you that start and stop and overwrite each other and run in parallel. And now there's Dirk achieving some kind of apotheosis that lets him cut across most of these story layers and Dead Calliope who I don't know what she's doing and goddamn does it feel like a lot to keep track of.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bobulus posted:

I mean, it's that, but it's also Dirk hating Vriska because she's another manipulator and cheering (as the not-yet-revealed narrator) when she takes a hit.

I do wonder if there's a bit of a metacontext for this. I mean, Hussie has said he put a lot of his own personality in Dave and even more into Dirk. And Dirk orange and Hussie orange are pretty drat similar. Given that we've got three authors here, one might speculate that Hussie worked more on the Meat side and lent it his particular brand of just balls-to-the-wall weirdness.

Hussie used his old silly shitposting voice for Dave, and then a more balls-to-the-walls serious voice for Dirk—not 100% sure how much of that was personality, but I always did catch that parallel. Hussie was always quick to reassure us in Q&As that Dave and Dirk definitely were not him, though

https://twitter.com/cephiedvariable/status/1119986052805079042

https://www.homestuck.com/epilogues/meat/34

In fact, some of the most brutal pages of Dirk were written by someone whom is presumably the complete opposite of Dirk in personality. Essentially: Dirk got redpilled, and gained a fuckton of influence and power at some point, and seems to be on a mission to create his own idyllic, no bullshit world. So, not just redpilled in the quest for truth sense, but in the Matrixy Neo-like sense aswell, which seems to have the highest influence in HS

Of course, almost any other character whom goes through this transformation would likely attempt to craft the world in their own flawed images. Who's to say the seemingly pure-hearted John would not let his frustrations with how the Candy epilogue unfolded manifest in some absolutely terrible resolutions? Left alone with a seemingly objective narrator, the world mostly went to poo poo, so whom could resist trying if they had that ability available to them? It becomes like playing with a suburb of Sims. Being able to see everything all at once at any time changes your perspective and the value of everything below you

It becomes unavoidable that you will pick favorites, experience annoyances, see some people so far below the spectrum of resolve that their lives mean nothing to you

It's absolutely possible that Dirk's greater-good solution to all of this is to actually have Dave become the leader of a new world/universe, for which he has a great deal of respect for, and himself admits would probably do a better job in his role. And by leading him on a 17 year quest to achieve his Ultimate Self, if Dave detects there's something wrong about Dirk's angle, he will stop him

So the great irony could be that Dirk doing a bunch of manipulative horseshit to the universe ultimately empowers Dave to seek a resolution to it, for which Dirk enabled because Dave's too pure and initially uninterested in achieving on his own. A self-own for Dirk, really

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I hadn't connected that Earth C, as the resting place of the Meteor, is where the Cherubs grow up - meaning that (as the narrative confirms) given some millions of years the paradise world of Earth C will be a desolate wasteland. But also it sort of seems that the notion that Earth C exists outside of canon feels sort of false, considering it has plot elements crucial to the events of The Story? Which I guess was already sort of true considering Adult John needed to go back to fight Lord English.

Regardless, it does seem to mean that Earth C is necessary in some plot sense that means it can't be erased or undone, the events there are necessary for canon even if the bifurcation of the candy and meat timelines makes it unclear which one is the crucial one.

While I'm at it I'm genuinely curious if there's two exploring-deep-space Terezis, one in Meat and one in Candy, or if Candy John has been chatting with the same Terezi that just found Meat John. I would assume the latter.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 22, 2019

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's totally the exact same Terezi. At the end of Meat Terezi's phone buzzed which was presumably Vriska contacting her for maximum dramatic irony as soon as she stopped looking for her.

Oh and also Terezi never got cut, so that teal liquid that John found in his dads car prooooobably wasn't blood. ;)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Spellman posted:

It's absolutely possible that Dirk's greater-good solution to all of this is to actually have Dave become the leader of a new world/universe, for which he has a great deal of respect for, and himself admits would probably do a better job in his role. And by leading him on a 17 year quest to achieve his Ultimate Self, if Dave detects there's something wrong about Dirk's angle, he will stop him

Meat 41 posted:

And lets also have it on good authority that the next time Dave cuts off my head, itll be for good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

We're stuck in the Brajstop Ball Room.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's amazing how much Dirk is still and ultimately and unavoidably Bro. But I am enjoying the hell out of him as an active agent on the narrative plane. He's operating on such a higher level than Caliborn/Lord English did.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dolash posted:

I hadn't connected that Earth C, as the resting place of the Meteor, is where the Cherubs grow up - meaning that (as the narrative confirms) given some millions of years the paradise world of Earth C will be a desolate wasteland. But also it sort of seems that the notion that Earth C exists outside of canon feels sort of false, considering it has plot elements crucial to the events of The Story? Which I guess was already sort of true considering Adult John needed to go back to fight Lord English.

Regardless, it does seem to mean that Earth C is necessary in some plot sense that means it can't be erased or undone, the events there are necessary for canon even if the bifurcation of the candy and meat timelines makes it unclear which one is the crucial one.

While I'm at it I'm genuinely curious if there's two exploring-deep-space Terezis, one in Meat and one in Candy, or if Candy John has been chatting with the same Terezi that just found Meat John. I would assume the latter.

Yeah, that's kind of the point all attempts to change the story, up to and including gaining powers that let you change the canon of reality, have just led to creating things that are needed for the story to happen the way it was supposed to in the first place.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dolash posted:

There's two (or more, but we're only following two) Earth Cs, one is Canon and one is Non-Canon, and there's only one "outside of earth C". The only reason Earth Candy-C (and probably Universe Candy-C) exist at all seems to be because John's retcon powers get tapped to create a bubble for it to exist in at the moment of his decision, also (for whatever reason) it's tied directly to the event horizon of the black hole where the green sun used to exist. Candy!John, having made the reality bubble for Candy-C, seems to be locked inside it along with everyone else, apart from the brief window when the combined powers of Jade, Calliope, and Caliborn cracked a hole in it long enough for Calliope (who has now, for the record, consumed her existing brother, and also her alt-universe brother who consumed his version of calliope, so we're at 4 cherubs-worth of power in one body and counting), Davebot, and Aradia to escape. Now that bubble is ostensibly completely sealed off from the outside universe, with the exception of John's cell phone being able to text outside of it (I don't know if this is confirmed, but everyone saying "Terezi is ignoring my messages" with a couple instances of "Terezi finally got in touch with me" implies some odd level of unidirectionality but I really don't want to re-read the entire thing to figure out what between-the-lines thing is going on there)

Meat-C hasn't been in touch with Terezi at all except when she showed up outside the hospital for 5 minutes and then disappeared off with Dirk, I can only assume that her proximity to the black hole is implied to have sucked in all her messages and delivered them to people in Candy-C only.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

One thing pointed out to me that seems a bit ominous...

Dirk's plan to stop Alt-Calliope required him to use a sniper rifle. Dirk 'Katanas solve everything' Strider. Now, there's nothing stopping him from using a rifle, but it doesn't really... seem his style. Especially if he's his Ultimate Self and thus would be even more Himself than ever. You know who does use rifles? Caliborn. Caliborn, whose soul was mixed with AR, who was re-integrated into Dirk, probably.

Also, the whole 'bitches' thing is way more Caliborn than Dirk, isn't it?

That might just be fans trying to 'save' his character, though. I dunno.

edit: Also, we have precedent for Caliborn taking over bodies, as he did to one of the Jacks in Act 6.

Now, I heard you saying... that Jack got pool-ball eyes. And to that I say: Dirk always wears his glasses. How would we know?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 22, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bobulus posted:

One thing pointed out to me that seems a bit ominous...

Dirk's plan to stop Alt-Calliope required him to use a sniper rifle. Dirk 'Katanas solve everything' Strider. Now, there's nothing stopping him from using a rifle, but it doesn't really... seem his style. Especially if he's his Ultimate Self and thus would be even more Himself than ever. You know who does use rifles? Caliborn. Caliborn, whose soul was mixed with AR, who was re-integrated into Dirk, probably.

That might just be fans trying to 'save' his character, though. I dunno.

Not really that ominous, if anything at this point Caliborn is actually a BETTER person than Dirk (which is pretty impressive since Caliborn's an ultra violent cannibalistic space lizard), a small portion him influencing Dirk's personality probably won't make a difference one way or the other.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

As of the ending, Dirk has Davebot, Rosebot, and a dead John. Why wouldn't he have made any effort to collect a Jadebot? Man, does it suck that we've got this new, improved Dave without the untidy doubts. Is it even Dave without the doubts? And Rose wishing for her emotions but knowing she can't have them.

So in Calliope's big speech about authorship at the end of Candy, she explicitly calls out that there's been an (omniscient) narrator all along, and that we haven't been questioning the narrator's identity. Given that Obamabot is obviously programmed/guided by Dirk, it's very possible that Canon Universe Dirk has been pulling more than one string in Earth-Candy. So Earth-Candy may not be true or relevant, but it's also not in as much of a bubble as we've believed. IDK who the narrator is.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

As of the ending, Dirk has Davebot, Rosebot, and a dead John. Why wouldn't he have made any effort to collect a Jadebot? Man, does it suck that we've got this new, improved Dave without the untidy doubts. Is it even Dave without the doubts? And Rose wishing for her emotions but knowing she can't have them.

So in Calliope's big speech about authorship at the end of Candy, she explicitly calls out that there's been an (omniscient) narrator all along, and that we haven't been questioning the narrator's identity. Given that Obamabot is obviously programmed/guided by Dirk, it's very possible that Canon Universe Dirk has been pulling more than one string in Earth-Candy. So Earth-Candy may not be true or relevant, but it's also not in as much of a bubble as we've believed. IDK who the narrator is.

It's Vriska. Who the heck else would it be?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm glad we finally met (Vriska).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh. That certainly would explain the consistent Jake-loathing by all concerned. Do you mean Vriska or (Vriska)?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ohmygod I'd forgotten they'd censored the disgusting Troll sex scene in Paradox Space by having Dave narrate the entire thing over where the pictures used to be.

This is beautiful.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm glad we finally met (Vriska).

After pondering the idea of extended interaction lovely Earth Vriska and lovely Space Vriska I now have the mental image of them quoting this at each other at least five times daily

https://youtu.be/6M9rw7LUbBM

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh. That certainly would explain the consistent Jake-loathing by all concerned. Do you mean Vriska or (Vriska)?

I have no idea which Vriska, just that it's some Vriska somewhere. It might not even be a Vriska we've met yet.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i was glad we got the return of joke as a name

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I can't see her not putting 8s in everything, and Candy's been written pretty standard. Yea. All the narration has been done in typing quirks, it's just that Dirk doesn't have any—alt-Calliope however, used hers

Though it's up in the air if this is a hard&set rule, this narrows it down to

• Rose
• Jane
• Dirk
• Nannasprite
• Doc Scratch
• Diamonds
• The White & Black Queen
• Parcel Mistress
• AH??

And probably some of those assholes from Hiveswap if it is indeed a known in-universe character narrating

Spellman fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 22, 2019

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Boy if this isn't aggravating my thoughts on existentialism and agency.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Spellman posted:

I can't see her not putting 8s in everything, and Candy's been written pretty standard. Yea. All the narration has been done in typing quirks, it's just that Dirk doesn't have any—alt-Calliope however, used hers

Though it's up in the air if this is a hard&set rule, this narrows it down to

• Rose
• Jane
• Dirk
• Nannasprite
• Doc Scratch
• Diamonds
• The White & Black Queen
• Parcel Mistress
• AH??

And probably some of those assholes from Hiveswap if it is indeed a known in-universe character narrating

unless I'm wrong don't the number of chapters in meat and candy add up to 88? The eights are still there, just hidden.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I listened to the Perfectly Generic Podcast with Aysha U. Farah and Kate Mitchell, both of whom contributed to the Epilogue. I don't recommend it; it's very self-congratulatory and defensive and they keep repeating "If you want everybody to be perfectly happy, this isn't for you" and "You have to have conflict to move forward." Both of these are straw men, of course; there's a wide excluded middle between "everybody should be perfectly happy" and what we got.

I didn't find the analysis interesting, and it didn't add anything I hadn't already heard. YMMV.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

unless I'm wrong don't the number of chapters in meat and candy add up to 88? The eights are still there, just hidden.

Dammit

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

aw gently caress, its aranea

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

paranoid randroid posted:

aw gently caress, its aranea

This made me recoil

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I can't believe Vriska is back, she is a narrative necessity and always returns to the mean of Ur-Vriskadom.

Also while Dead Calliope seems like an improvement over Deeply Manipulative Dirk, I'm not entirely convinced of her good intentions. She certainly seems to have the cold, alien detachment necessary to guide the cosmic outcome but is self-admittedly lacking in heart. The reaction of both versions of socialized Calliope doesn't inspire much confidence, and I don't expect Sollux or Aradia to achieve much in their roles.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dolash posted:

I don't expect Sollux or Aradia to achieve much in their roles.[/spoiler]
Sollux has been paged out since throwing the meteor in Cascade, so I agree that he's irrelevant and likely will continue to be.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

paranoid randroid posted:

aw gently caress, its hitler

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Well, I just finished reading Meat.

I stand by what I said about Candy ultimately providing most of the characters with closure and even happy endings. With Meat, the reading experience was rather reversed for me. Up until the end (right around the time Dirk reasserts control of the narrative), I found reading Meat to be a mostly refreshing, pleasant experience, only for that sentiment to come crashing down around me in the final chapters. Candy presented some semblance of closure. Meat literally lays out the plans for a sequel, only to instantly say "too bad, fuckers".

I enjoyed reading Meat more. I liked Candy more.

I don't think I got it in me to put much more effort into a post at this time. Got a lot to process. Let this cut of barely-cooked animal tissue digest in the depths of my brain-stomach for a while yet.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Also I think I might write a fanfic anthology called "The 1,001 Deaths Of Dirk Strider" just 'cause.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

Well, I just finished reading Meat.

I stand by what I said about Candy ultimately providing most of the characters with closure and even happy endings. With Meat, the reading experience was rather reversed for me. Up until the end (right around the time Dirk reasserts control of the narrative), I found reading Meat to be a mostly refreshing, pleasant experience, only for that sentiment to come crashing down around me in the final chapters. Candy presented some semblance of closure. Meat literally lays out the plans for a sequel, only to instantly say "too bad, fuckers".

I enjoyed reading Meat more. I liked Candy more.

I don't think I got it in me to put much more effort into a post at this time. Got a lot to process. Let this cut of barely-cooked animal tissue digest in the depths of my brain-stomach for a while yet.

Meat and Candy are different parts of the same thing, there's no closure in either. It's a false choice leading to an ouroboros narrative forever eating itself.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

Also I think I might write a fanfic anthology called "The 1,001 Deaths Of Dirk Strider" just 'cause.

:justpost:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Meat and Candy are different parts of the same thing, there's no closure in either. It's a false choice leading to an ouroboros narrative forever eating itself.

I disagree and think this is kind of a facile read of it but I do not have the energy to explicate my precise thoughts on the matter.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm going to be a filthy shipper for a second there and say that I like the idea of Meenah <> Karkat.

ahh yeah that thing where he bossed her around, she was all about it, and then he relented a lil, to which she says "stop, you're ruining it" almost beat-for-beat reminds me of a very nice fling I had some years ago, down to the quote

I'm liking how we're peelin down the onions here, especially because nobody I know irl is familiar with this monstrosity. Also idk about everyone else, but as a person with focus issues, I retained and followed the story wayyy better in its novel format (lol it's the most unnovel thing about it) than I ever did for Homestuck with panels- love the images in the original, but I didn't have to context-switch all that much and could just let it flow

had to stop lotsa times to go 'oh whoa okay let me think about that; wait; what, did that really just..?' tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

1000 assorted decapitations and one incident involving insufficient warning about stairs

Death Bot posted:

This made me recoil

i was sort of kidding at first but now that i think about, this whole situation reeks of some aranea-style horsecrap, what with rose banging on about canon and how aranea was planning to "fix" the timeline