Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I mean, aren't there like a fuckton of dead people buried all over the place thanks to the War of the Five Kings, the Battle of the Bastards, etc.,etc.

There is no loving way the NK can lose

KILL 'EM ALL :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alec Eiffel posted:

The Night King is not as good of a villain as Joffrey but drat, the end of Hardhome was badass when he outright undoes everything Jon et al just accomplished (killing some wights) and then some (raised mother loving Wun-Wun and that one Wildling woman up). Then he just stands on the shore and glowers. Good stuff.

That was a different giant, although the zombie giant also has an arrow sticking out of his eye. Wun-Wun died at Winterfell so in order for him to rise as a zombie the white walkers would have to have a battle th—oh.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Hobo Clown posted:

If one dude on one dragon ends up being OP enough to take out the entire south on its own then it will be incredibly silly if/when the plucky folks at Winterfell are still able to manage some kind of victory by the end.

Also how would Night King know how prepared Cersei is or isn't?

It won't be just the dragon it'll be more dead dudes/WW. Who knows how NK knows things. He's a magic dude. He's gotta know something. He might not even know at all, but maybe going for the people who have the magic bullets first isn't the greatest idea.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 22, 2019

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

It does seem significant that they didn't show the NK at the end of the last episode. He def not at Winterfell.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

:)

Snowy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 19, 2023

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Raccooon posted:

It does seem significant that they didn't show the NK at the end of the last episode. He def not at Winterfell.

He went to the Iron Bank to plead for a loan to buy some elephants

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Kawalimus posted:

Which won't make a difference when the dead golden company comes a marching up north. Beating the skeleton crew is a hollow victory if KL is sacked. It won't take much to win there as Cersei is ill-prepared.

Cersei's whole master plan here is that the dead and the coalition will wipe each other out when that's what she's effectively been doing for the dead army this whole series.

How is the golden company dying if the NK goes down solo? I'm fairly certain resurrecting people burnt alive in dragonfire isn't a thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lezard_valeth posted:

He went to the Iron Bank to plead for a loan to buy some elephants

Where are my zombie mammoths D&D?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TheRat posted:

How is the golden company dying if the NK goes down solo? I'm fairly certain resurrecting people burnt alive in dragonfire isn't a thing.

it's blue fire, duh are you paying attention?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Kawalimus posted:

It won't be just the dragon it'll be more dead dudes/WW. Who knows how NK knows things. He's a magic dude. He's gotta know something.

Night King is marching his whole surprise army with him to King's Landing? That's like a two month round trip at least, especially for something that size. I think Winterfell might think something is up with the skeleton crew staring at them for that long.

Raccooon posted:

They didn't show Rhaegal or Drogon either. It just means this episode's budget was all spent on Ghost.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

it's blue fire, duh are you paying attention?

Everyone knows blue fire is even hotter!!!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
^^^this guy still trying to apply logic or the show's internal rules. The NK will burn people with his zombie dragon and they will come back to life just fine

Hobo Clown posted:

Night King is marching his whole surprise army with him to King's Landing? That's like a two month round trip at least, especially for something that size. I think Winterfell might think something is up with the skeleton crew staring at them for that long.

He hitches a ride on Euron's ship. He already hosed the Queen, he no longer gives a poo poo.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Zaphod42 posted:

They're not unlike Zach Snyder. Give them some good source material and they can film interesting cinematography over it, but ask them to write a story and oh noooooo.

Also gently caress them, they started a show that managed to become like the most popular thing ever and they decide they're bored of it and want to wrap it up so they can do other things? gently caress you no. You should be so lucky! Hand the series off to someone else if you're done with it and want to work on something else.
(1) Yes, and (2) This is what I was saying earlier about GRRM and the books!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, I heard on a podcast that they buzzed Gendry because people were confusing him with Pod. Makes you wonder... maybe Arya picked the wrong lay?
The "Arya wants to know what sex is like before a huge battle" idea stopped me being so annoyed by the whole thing, but I like the idea of Arya and Pod. Gendry seems like Arya's teenage crush that she'd grow out of. Arya and Pod are closer in age and Pod seems like he could handle how messed up Arya is. Gendry has his own traumas, like Melisandre, and all those years he had to spend rowing.

Gendry's also the #1 character that fan fiction writers ship with Arya (according to archiveofourown.org, which has excellent search capabilities, really well-done) so this all came off like cheap pandering and like a real disappointment for a show based on subverting expectations.

Anyway. Someone who worked on their college's literary magazine once said that if they debated long enough whether a piece should go into the magazine it automatically went in; it might not have been good, but it wasn't boring. So at least the show isn't boring!

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Raccooon posted:

Maybe significant in that they wanted to save cg budget for other episodes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The North is loving huge. If the Night King's army doesn't have access to the plot teleporter it would take them like a month.

The massed Targaryan forces getting bored staring at the unmoving dead for a few days is a funny thought.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 22, 2019

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hay guise why is someone trying to wipe out humanity stopping to attack a major outpost of humanity that is also housing one of the few characters with any super natural ability??????

What possible value could there be in trying to remove a guy with limited omniscience and time travel from the board?

I love that even when the show stop and holds the audience's hand to explain things like "why are undead attacking Winterfel?" it still flies over the audience's head.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The North is loving huge. If the Night King's army doesn't have access to the plot teleporter it would take them like a month.

Gonna happen no matter what unless the rest of the story happens in the north for the rest of the show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That sex scene made me reflect on how bad everyone must smell all the time. It’s been true for the whole show, but seeing Gendry all filthy made me reflect on it, like that photoshop where the my little pony is in the Holocaust.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pod "the Rod" is into older women though

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yeah, that scene was probably some of the most agency Ayra has had in years and one of the most normal things she’s done in the same time period.
Dude. What? Arya does not suffer from lack of agency. She's always had waaaay too much agency, she does whatever she wants and gets away with it every time in a way that nobody else in the universe does. What do you think that word means?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Hobo Clown posted:

I'm basically factoring in the teleporter in predicting that. Also even if it's just the NK, he can raise an army of the dead pretty quick cause as people have said there's TONS of dead dudes out there to raise from the wars.

I just think doing KL first somehow sets them up to do a lot of things, like the fanservicey cleganebowl, lets the Bronn stuff play out easier. And lets the baddies join up with the undead baddies for a big goodies vs baddies showdown at WF. Rather than baddies vs baddies after winterfell falls.

Travel in this show simply makes no sense and there's no point in trying to wonder how long it would really take for stuff at this point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Arya has been given free reign to do whatever she wants, up to and including "become loving Batman", she's never had a lack of agency.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TheRat posted:

Everyone knows blue fire is even hotter!!!
Blue dragon fire kills you so hard you push right through dead and into undead.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Kawalimus posted:

I'm basically factoring in the teleporter in predicting that. Also even if it's just the NK, he can raise an army of the dead pretty quick cause as people have said there's TONS of dead dudes out there to raise from the wars.

I just think doing KL first somehow sets them up to do a lot of things, like the fanservicey cleganebowl, lets the Bronn stuff play out easier. And lets the baddies join up with the undead baddies for a big goodies vs baddies showdown at WF. Rather than baddies vs baddies after winterfell falls.

Travel in this show simply makes no sense and there's no point in trying to wonder how long it would really take for stuff at this point.

Even if he can only raise the newly dead, the Night King on a dragon could easily knock off a few small Crownlands villages and snowball from there. Huge chunks of King's Landing are outside the walls, and presumably out of big arrow range.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lezard_valeth posted:

We are getting centuries old spoopy skeletons next episode. don't rule anything out

except elephants

and giant spiders

those shits are never gonna happen

I'm still holding out hope that some mother loving grumpkins are gonna show up.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
What if the white walkers are really there for Crastor Jr?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I'm confused why everyone thinks that anyone that has ever died can be magically raised by the NK on the spot. The bodies in the crypt are long passed decayed or just in pieces. I remember hands popping out of the ground at the tree with Jojen and whatnot but I thought that was a different situation. Seeing skeletons (remember Robert's rebellion was like what, 20 years ago?) pop out of the ground to fight would be some Army of Darkness level cheesy poo poo.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

No Wave posted:

Dude. What? Arya does not suffer from lack of agency. She's always had waaaay too much agency, she does whatever she wants and gets away with it every time in a way that nobody else in the universe does. What do you think that word means?

Yeah ok I guess I mean specifically sexual agency. She hosed who she wanted when she wanted which is like, probably the first time a woman on GOT got to pick those two things?

I stand by my statement that her wanted to get laid before she (probably) dies is the most normal thing she’s done in years

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The pieces all run together to form a complete skeleton

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm liking the King's Landing swerve the more that I think about it even if the logistics would probably be dumb. It would be pretty funny if the Night King played Bran and he was too up his own rear end to see it coming.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Comfortador posted:

I'm confused why everyone thinks that anyone that has ever died can be magically raised by the NK on the spot. The bodies in the crypt are long passed decayed or just in pieces. I remember hands popping out of the ground at the tree with Jojen and whatnot but I thought that was a different situation. Seeing skeletons (remember Robert's rebellion was like what, 20 years ago?) pop out of the ground to fight would be some Army of Darkness level cheesy poo poo.

We're all expecting the obvious to happen when the words "zombies" and "crypt" are said in proximity to each other

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Comfortador posted:

I thought it was tied into the advance of winter and of the others themselves.

That’s why Mance’s wildlings have been burning the dead since who knows when- their dead rose. And why the Watch has burning as their traditional funeral rite but only during the story figures out why it is that way.

And thusly, why loads of southerners die and don’t come back.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nail Rat posted:

The pieces all run together to form a complete skeleton
Ice spiders = actually just bone spiders with a bit of snow on them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Comfortador posted:

I mean, there have literally been scenes of skeletons and rotting half skeleton corpses fighting in the Night King's army

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Macaluso posted:

I mean, there have literally been scenes of skeletons and rotting half skeleton corpses fighting in the Night King's army

They just look to me like corpses in vary states of decay, I guess I never paid too close attention to how far they had rotted.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, I won't be suprised if skeletons come out too.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yeah ok I guess I mean specifically sexual agency. She hosed who she wanted when she wanted which is like, probably the first time a woman on GOT got to pick those two things?

Dany and Daario. I'd also argue Cat/Ned, Talisa/Robb, Ygritte/Jon, maaaybe Shae/Tyrion in a way. Maybe even Cersei/Jaime in a sense.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, I won't be suprised if skeletons come out too.

Oh yeah, all the Children of the Forest died (along with a dog) so that they could detonate hand grenades at the perfect moment rather than throw 'em, right?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Comfortador posted:

Night King would also be way OP if that were the case. He and one dragon can take out an entire city, and then that city joins him, and then he does this dozens of times all across Westeros, and also anyone that has ever died anywhere in Westeros also joins his army, and that army can travel thousands of miles in a day completely undetected. It props him up to such a degree that whatever method the good guys use to stop him will have to be out of left field and unlike anything that's been shown to be within their power before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wasn't it a rib cage with only one arm that popped out of the snow to stave Jojen to death?

E: it might have been the one Meera split in half still going.