Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
that's londo mollari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why are some navigators normal looking while others are so mutated? is there a ranking system? is it a gradual change? are they all mutated but they disguise themselves?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

D. Ebdrup posted:

Thanks to this thread, I remembered how loving great/dumb Idahos hair looked:

Does anyone know Jasom Momoa, and can you ask him to have his scenes reshot so that he can look like that?

That's one of the least outlandish hairstyles in that game. I'm pretty sure the fremen hairstyles were procedurally generated.

Just look at this loving guy:

https://lparchive.org/Dune/ for more. Lots more.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

No joke, that's my default mental template for Idaho.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

that's londo mollari

Peter Jurasik should be in the Dune movie.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Peter Jurasik should be in the Dune movie.

Thufir!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Temaukel posted:

Why are some navigators normal looking while others are so mutated? is there a ranking system? is it a gradual change? are they all mutated but they disguise themselves?

in the movie, they refer to the weird hosed up navigator as a "third-stage navigator." the idea is they get mutated as they spend more time immersed in spice. there were going to be second-stage navigators too but they ran out of money. for the real dune head cosplayers out there...

I think that's something they added for the movie, IIRC it's different in the books.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You snort ants?

We snort...many things. We snort ants within ants.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
ayy lmao

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
"She would, Scytale knew, see Edric as a repellent figure: the bold stare, those monstrous feet and hands moving softly in the gas, the smoky swirling of orange eddies around him. She would wonder about his sex habits, thinking how odd it would be to mate with such a one. Even the field-force generator which recreated for Edric the weightlessness of space would set him apart from her now."

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Dummy thicc

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
"She stepped away from Edric’s tank, shaking her head in annoyance at the thick odor of melange.
Edric took this moment to pop a melange pill into his mouth. He ate the spice and breathed it and, no doubt, drank it, Scytale noted."

do u think that Edric gets embarrassed when he farts in front of the Reverend Mother???
sorry if this ofends anyone but i thought it was a funny thing haha. and i would like to know if any of you have any pics of Edric farting an while he looks nervous or embarrassed i just want to see it for a few laughs haha.
another thing i am wondering is if you think the farts smell like spice.
haha im just curious for laughs haha

i would like to smell them

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

Thanks to this thread, I remembered how loving great/dumb Idahos hair looked:

Does anyone know Jasom Momoa, and can you ask him to have his scenes reshot so that he can look like that?

Guile aged poorly.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Edric gets even more offputting when you find out what he wears:

"The Guild Navigator wore his usual dark leotard bulging at the belt with various containers. Yet . . . he gave the impression of nakedness when he moved. It was the swimming, reaching movements, Scytale decided, and he was struck once more by the delicate linkages of their conspiracy."

A hovering fish-man rocking 80s athleisure and tactical fanny packs.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Prolonged Priapism posted:

"The Guild Navigator wore his usual dark leotard bulging at the belt with various containers. Yet . . . he gave the impression of nakedness when he moved. It was the swimming, reaching movements, Scytale decided, and he was struck once more by the delicate linkages of their conspiracy."

I could see comfortable clothes and snack pouches as being important to something in a constant state of getting hosed up on space weed.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1120717944026226690

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
He should totally climb it and make everyone cum

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

He should totally climb it and make everyone cum
Now I really hope he's read enough of the source material to have read that part too. The thought of him remembering that at every single shoot just makes me giggle.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What was Paul's Jihad even about? Forcefully converting people to Zensunni from all the other Islamo-Buddhist/Christo-Hindu faiths?

Edit: Is it accurate to say that a Stone Burdner is an enuclear weapon?

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 23, 2019

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Prolonged Priapism posted:

glub glub

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What was Paul's Jihad even about? Forcefully converting people to Zensunni from all the other Islamo-Buddhist/Christo-Hindu faiths?

I don't think it's directly stated, but I always concluded that the Jihad happened because Paul feared The Golden Path and never could go through with the whole thing, because he didn't have enough ruthlessness in him - something a daughter of Jessica bred with Feyd Harkonnon might have been capable of, if we assume that all Kwisats Hadarach would also have seen The Golden Path.
Leto II, being part Fremen on the other hand, had the pragmatism that leads to cutting away what isn't good enough - and that let him accept the responsibility that Paul couldn't.

Or, and I just had this thought now: Maybe The Golden Path requires a Jihad, which makes sense given how much Leto II describes himself oppressing people, to force The Scattering - and all Paul failed in was accepting the sandworm becoming part of his flesh to lengthen his life such that he could oppress people; it seems to me to be a pretty terrible burden to have to get extremely long life if all you have to look forward to is to oppress every single living being.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Actors who I am bummed won't be cast as Thufir:

Jared Harris
Peter Jurasik
Charles S. Dutton

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nice beard Javier:

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reminder that should be uploaded as a gangtag. I need this in my life.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Someone needs to buy it as an av then it can be used as a tag

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fyi i would do it myself but broke

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

*a single tear rolls down Paul's cheek*

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Temaukel posted:

Nice beard Javier:

was gonna do a stilgar/chigurh mashup but I couldn't make it work.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

*a single tear rolls down Paul's cheek*

He gives water to the jihad!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

D. Ebdrup posted:

I don't think it's directly stated, but I always concluded that the Jihad happened because Paul feared The Golden Path and never could go through with the whole thing, because he didn't have enough ruthlessness in him - something a daughter of Jessica bred with Feyd Harkonnon might have been capable of, if we assume that all Kwisats Hadarach would also have seen The Golden Path.
Leto II, being part Fremen on the other hand, had the pragmatism that leads to cutting away what isn't good enough - and that let him accept the responsibility that Paul couldn't.

Or, and I just had this thought now: Maybe The Golden Path requires a Jihad, which makes sense given how much Leto II describes himself oppressing people, to force The Scattering - and all Paul failed in was accepting the sandworm becoming part of his flesh to lengthen his life such that he could oppress people; it seems to me to be a pretty terrible burden to have to get extremely long life if all you have to look forward to is to oppress every single living being.

The Jihad didn't happen because Paul feared the Golden Path.

The second is pretty close. Paul says that he saw what was necessary and could not bring himself to do it. As far as I remember, we don't know what step he faltered it. I feel like there's a few easy ones to point to as possibilities.

1. Paul failed at the very idea of being a tyrant like Leto 2. We see throughout Dune that Paul is worried about the Jihad.
2. Paul couldn't handle the fact that Chani had to die, even if it was the least worst of all outcomes. This blinds Paul's prescience, after all.
3. Paul was unwilling to cover himself in sand trout and become a worm god.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

3. Paul was unwilling to cover himself in sand trout and become a worm god.

He should have remembered the Bene Gesserit litany against fear. Fear is the mindkiller that prevents you from growing multiple dicks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

From rereading Dune Messiah recently the impression I got was that a lot of the Jihad was Paul consolidating his power seeing as even by the events of that book he hadn't actually done so yet.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
That's the impression I got. Also I think the Fremen set him up as a quasi deity because I am pretty sure there is a cult built around him. I assume the jihad is then ensuring the Imperium obeys and worships Paul.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I think a lot of it was just the Fremen running rampant on his behalf and Paul sitting there knowing that he couldn't reign them in without being overthrown, killed or disobeyed.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Plus they (the BG, Paul, etc) can all feel that humanity at large is waiting for something to happen, as the pattern of life has been stagnant for too long. Then Paul overthrows the dynasty and army that have been in power for ten thousand years. Widespread conflict is expected, and Paul does his best to direct or at least surf the wave instead of getting smashed by it.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Also, Paul's there to shake up the existing structures. Leto says later that if things hadn't unfolded as they did, humanity would have stagnated and gone extinct. Hard to believe it could happen in just a few thousand years, but then there was also a lot of trade and stuff so if that broke down you'd have chaos.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

It’s the aliens

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

BONGHITZ posted:

It’s the aliens

You're not to be posting here, Brian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU