Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Seems like we actually didn't have that many northern lords left. We had little mormont, lady karstark, the stark fam, and who else? Boltons, umbers are gone. I guess the Reeds are the main missing ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There's a woman in the world you don't enjoy seeing topless and having bad sex? Wow, what a prude.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Zaphod42 posted:

"I knew this girl when she was 11 but she's 18 now so I wanna see her naked" is pretty creepy dude.

I have literally never met her once in my life, lol

Cool that you know a celebrity though!

BlackStar
Aug 21, 2004

No Wave posted:

There's a woman in the world you don't enjoy seeing topless and having bad sex? Wow, what a prude.

Or a questionably aged character you've watched grow up. :pedo:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rosalind posted:

Because no one but book readers give a poo poo about Howland Reed.
I don't read the books but that flashback scene sticks in my mind forever. Can't help wondering where Howland is

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there anything left to the hound’s prophetic vision left to go, or was it just him fighting zombies north of the wall? It seems kind of weird that he’s lasted all the way to the end game just being a fighter like the rest of the action b-team.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is legit one of my favorite fight scenes in the show, gently caress y'all dual-wielding haters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aO_CsqfBAo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
y'all need to get over your parasocial relationships. You have never met this person and you must certainly did not 'watch her grow up' lmao

This is no different from watching any grown man/woman and saying "YUCK that adult was a CHILD once"

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

How many relationships have been ruined when one partner's parents show home videos of them as kids

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sometimes sex happens in tv shows because it's a thing people do

That people gently caress, and why people gently caress are usually plot points. How people gently caress is less often so. If by banging Gendry in a certain way it revealed something about her character then the sex scene serves a narrative purpose that you couldn't get by cutting right after she makes it clear she's down to bone.

GOT is actually not terrible at cramming a narrative fig leaf over otherwise gratuitous sex scenes. Littlefinger directing his whores told us something about the character as did Pycell's. Even the "bad pussy" bit established that the Sand Snakes would use sex as a weapon.

I think that last week's Bronn scene was a bigger offender than Arya's scene this week in that it did humanize her a bit from the worldly murder-hobo she's been for years. We already knew that Bronn liked getting it wet with prostitutes and that Qyburn is a creepy gently caress who isn't outwardly interested in sex. They're sent out of the room before the actual plot conversation occurs.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I think the ghoul lord would win pretty easy if he'd tell his goons to just stop marching for a month or so and wait for everyone to starve to death.

I can hardly wait for all the upcoming battle scenes where someone gets knocked on their rear end and their assailant raises a sword up high, ready to strike our hero down when suddenly at the last second a sword or an arrow or a blurry jpeg of a CGI wolf flies in and kills the assailant. I just can't get enough of those scenes. Real nail-biters, you never know which way it'll go.

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

BlackStar posted:

Or a questionably aged character you've watched grow up. :pedo:

I might be way out there on this opinion. But I think a healthy part of becoming an adult is becoming sexually active. What just because you saw somebody when they were a teenager and then they have sex in their 20's that's somehow gross? Seems normal to me. :thunk:

Everybody is a kid once. Kids shouldn't be sexually assaulted or mistreated. E- Then they become adults, and hopefully have whatever sexual experiences they want to.

Gunthen fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 22, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When is the Night's King going to whip his ice dong out

BlackStar
Aug 21, 2004

GoT bringing out all the weird incest and pedo people. Because for as much as I know Maisie Williams is 22, I also know Nicolaj Coster-Waldau and Leana Headey aren't actually brother and sister. Doesn't make it any less cringey.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

y'all need to get over your parasocial relationships. You have never met this person and you must certainly did not 'watch her grow up' lmao

This is no different from watching any grown man/woman and saying "YUCK that adult was a CHILD once"

I think the outrage is over the top, but I do think it's only natural to be a bit skeeved out by it. It happens any time a child star gets older and transitions into more adult roles, people who have watched their whole career usually need time to adjust. And it's more offputting in this situation because it's the same role, she's playing the same character who people remember as a child. Just because we've never met her doesn't change the fact that we've watched hours of footage of her as a child and now she's not a child anymore.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gunthen posted:

Everybody is a kid once. Kids shouldn't be sexually assaulted or mistreated. Then they grow up.
At which point they should? :v:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Gunthen posted:

I might be way out there on this opinion. But I think a healthy part of becoming an adult is becoming sexually active. What just because you saw somebody when they were a teenager and then they have sex in their 20's that's somehow gross? Seems normal to me. :thunk:

Everybody is a kid once. Kids shouldn't be sexually assaulted or mistreated. Then they grow up.

No this is a healthy and normal attitude. Goons just understandably have a 'crab pot' attitude toward losing one's virginity

BlackStar
Aug 21, 2004

Gunthen posted:

HBO desperately tweeted to make sure the viewer understood Maisie's character was 18. I don't know. The timeline in the story doesn't check out in my head.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A Buttery Pastry posted:

At which point they should? :v:

Sex with a child is literally always assault and mistreatment, HTH

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Gunthen posted:

I know what you're trying to say here, but the wording is questionable at best lmao

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Gunthen posted:

Yeah but I don't want to watch it happen. If I value someone as a person I respect their privacy in using their autonomy.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"don't have sex with kids because it's assault. having sex with an adult (aka a grown up child) is ok" was my reading.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah but I don't want to watch it happen. If I value someone as a person I respect their privacy in using their autonomy.

Sexuality doesn't devalue someone, lmao

Watching someone's work (actors and actresses are paid professionals producing a product) is not invading their privacy either

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"don't have sex with kids because it's assault. having sex with an adult (aka a grown up child) is ok" was my reading.

Yah, I hosed that up badly. I don't even know if I should edit it at this point, or just accept it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

an skeleton posted:

Seems like we actually didn't have that many northern lords left. We had little mormont, lady karstark, the stark fam, and who else? Boltons, umbers are gone. I guess the Reeds are the main missing ones

In the episode where l'il lady Mormont was trashing on the other lords before they all declared Jon KITN, she called out a few by name. So I thing there's three or four more at least.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gunthen posted:

Yah, I hosed that up badly. I don't even know if I should edit it at this point, or just accept it.
I think everyone knew what you meant, the wording was just unfortunate. :) No need to change it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
By far the weirdest thing about the Arya sex scene is how little Maisie Williams's face has changed compared to the other child actors on the show. We rewatched s1e1 the other day and other than being a little bit taller she didn't look all that different. A lot of that is costuming and makeup and whatnot, but it still made the scene kind of weird for me to watch.

Btw I think it's okay to have different opinions about this and it doesn't make y'all loving weirdos or pedophile creeps or whatever, since this thread seems really tense this morning for whatever reason. Except for those of you who are really weird about it. You know who you are.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sexuality doesn't devalue someone, lmao

Watching someone's work (actors and actresses are paid professionals producing a product) is not invading their privacy either

Are you being obtuse? The guy I quoted was talking about kids he knew personally maturing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Am I alone in hoping everyone survives? I want Jon and Dany to get married and rebuild Westeros together, I want Sansa to be Warden of the North, I want Arya to be happy and rebuild her life, I want Tormund and Brienne to have big strong children together, I want the Lannister bros to go off on another adventure... I would even be happy if Cersei escapes the ruin of King's Landing and gets an epilogue where she takes her delusions of grandeur to Essos and plans to start anew.

I know that's not how things are "done" on this show, but I wouldn't feel cheated or anything if everyone manages to survive against long odds. I feel like we've come so far with these characters that I just want them to live happily ever after. They can kill Beric, I guess, if they want to show how dire things are. No one likes Beric.

e: oh, and I want Arya to bang like six more guys since it makes everyone so uncomfortable

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If we’re going to talk about this, we should talk about how the hairstyle they gave Arya makes her head look extremely lumpy, like a cartoon strawberry, while Gendry’s shaved head looks totally level on top, like you could balance a shelf on it. Both actors have normal-looking heads when not on the show.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
pull up thread pull up, the ground is getting really loving close

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rosalind posted:

Because no one but book readers give a poo poo about Howland Reed.

throwing a net over the greatest warrior on the continent makes you cool as hell

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Are you being obtuse? The guy I quoted was talking about kids he knew personally maturing.

"What just because you saw somebody when they were a teenager and then they have sex in their 20's that's somehow gross? Seems normal to me."

This is clearly in reference to 'saw somebody' = watch game of thrones and 'when they were a teenager' = old footage of Maisie Williams.

It's an extremely creepy projection on your part that you took this to mean watching someone in real life sexually mature

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Am I alone in hoping everyone survives? I want Jon and Dany to get married and rebuild Westeros together, I want Sansa to be Warden of the North, I want Arya to be happy and rebuild her life, I want Tormund and Brienne to have big strong children together, I want the Lannister bros to go off on another adventure... I would even be happy if Cersei escapes the ruin of King's Landing and gets an epilogue where she takes her delusions of grandeur to Essos and plans to start anew.

I know that's not how things are "done" on this show, but I wouldn't feel cheated or anything if everyone manages to survive against long odds. I feel like we've come so far with these characters that I just want them to live happily ever after. They can kill Beric, I guess, if they want to show how dire things are. No one likes Beric.

e: oh, and I want Arya to bang like six more guys since it makes everyone so uncomfortable

Lady Mormont will be warden of the north. That not happening will be the one disappointment I could have with the end of the show.

Or she could be Sansa’s hand or master of ships.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Howland Reed's single purpose to the story was being the only dude alive who knew Jon's secret but welp

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Phenotype posted:

If you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheRat posted:

If you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention

- a character who was eaten by his own dogs in a very cathartic moment for Sansa Stark

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"What just because you saw somebody when they were a teenager and then they have sex in their 20's that's somehow gross? Seems normal to me."

This is clearly in reference to 'saw somebody' = watch game of thrones and 'when they were a teenager' = old footage of Maisie Williams.

It's an extremely creepy projection on your part that you took this to mean watching someone in real life sexually mature

Someone you know as a kid having sex is a normal part of their development. You being invested in seeing someone you knew as a kid having sex is an abnormal part of yours.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phenotype posted:

Lol if your main ship isn’t Night’s Karya

E: re nudity, some people here are acting like not enjoying gratuitous nudity makes you some kind of prude (or american! Even worse!) There’s nothing wrong with nudity, but speaking as a dude what likes dudes here, it makes me uncomfortable to see so much gratuitous female sexualisation for no reason but to get dudes’ dicks up. There’s man candy too, for sure, but it’s nowhere near to the same level. Even when we had sexposition with explicitly dude-whoring characters like Loras and Oberyn, we never saw stuff like “Bronn happens to get important news while surrounded by hot naked women”

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DrNutt posted:

[Maisie Williams has childlike features but is sexually attractive and it causes me discomfort]

This is obviously a big factor for a lot of viewers. I think it's OK as long as you don't review your Hot List and realize it's exclusively women who could pass for 14 years old.