Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

That WWE '12 one :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Who needs quality when you have people who will buy your product year-in, year-out regardless of how bad it is?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

2K19's story mode allows you to infinitely tweak every aspect of your created character except:

- Everyone calls him Buzz no matter what you do
- He only has one possible voice so if you make him huge or not-american he doesn't sound realistic

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

21 Hoot Salute posted:

That WWE '12 one :stare:

He's black and has hair; what more do you people want?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

lmao jesus loving christ @ wwe 12

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

shiksa posted:

lmao jesus loving christ @ wwe 12

the graphics today aren't a ton better

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

where on earth did they pull the impact screenshot from, because I just looked at youtube and his face is just as low fidelity as the WWE ones in the fame

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they put out a lot of more or less fake screenshots for that game during its media run with how enhanced they were. they looked to be rendered at a much higher resolution than the consoles and used better textures on top of sharpening and color correction and all kinds of stuff. he does look closer to reality in that game though. i mean it uses his likeness instead of not using it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

where on earth did they pull the impact screenshot from, because I just looked at youtube and his face is just as low fidelity as the WWE ones in the fame

When games are previewed at conventions it's not uncommon to show them using a portable version of the workstation they were made on, and games tend to look much better in that form then on the actual system they're being made for. I was just watching a video explaining the many reasons why the console versions of Aliens: Colonial Marines were crap, and this was mentioned as a problem since the producer of the game claimed their sizzle reel was an actual gameplay screenshot. The image of IMPACT is probably pulled from a magazine preview or ad that used one of the images from the convention trailer.

Also the fidelity isn't the issue, it's that he looks crosseyed and his lips are much bigger than any of the other pics. He looks like a rendered version of how that one awful political cartoonist who found new and innovative ways to depict Obama in the most racist, stereotypical ways possible might draw Booker.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 22, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thank you for providing the real info, instead my fake info which points to maliciousness. i love lying

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ChrisBTY posted:

Who needs quality when you have people who will buy your product year-in, year-out regardless of how bad it is?

vince mcmahon has this exact sentence on a plaque in his office that he stares at any time he needs inspiration.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TriffTshngo posted:

vince mcmahon has this exact sentence on a plaque in his office that he stares at any time he needs inspiration.

It's right under the MLK photo, and that's why he tears up when he looks at Dr King.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
How did Superstars tapings work back in the late '80s / early '90s? As a kid I'd get spoilers from a wrestling radio show on a local college station, and it felt like I was hearing about things months before they would air on TV. I'm sure it just felt longer in my distant kid memory... I'm guessing they'd tape like 4 shows at a time and then maybe have that in the can for a week or two before going on TV?

What sticks out the most was hearing about Bret winning the WWF title at a house show, and then waiting for what seemed like forever to see him actually have the belt on TV.

Also would they have dark matches with big name talent wrestling each other, or was the live crowd really just watching an entire show of squash matches?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
WCW used to do massive batches of tapings at Center Stage in Atlanta, which is where stuff like title changes being spoiled on TV (and in some cases being totally hosed up because guys got hurt before they could win the title they were defending on the taped shows) happened.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:wtc:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Minidust posted:

How did Superstars tapings work back in the late '80s / early '90s? As a kid I'd get spoilers from a wrestling radio show on a local college station, and it felt like I was hearing about things months before they would air on TV. I'm sure it just felt longer in my distant kid memory... I'm guessing they'd tape like 4 shows at a time and then maybe have that in the can for a week or two before going on TV?

What sticks out the most was hearing about Bret winning the WWF title at a house show, and then waiting for what seemed like forever to see him actually have the belt on TV.

Also would they have dark matches with big name talent wrestling each other, or was the live crowd really just watching an entire show of squash matches?

The tapings would be 4+ hours long and at the end they'd run a quick Hogan squash so people wouldn't leave. They would tape a lot of TV at a time.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

MassRafTer posted:

The tapings would be 4+ hours long and at the end they'd run a quick Hogan squash so people wouldn't leave. They would tape a lot of TV at a time.

Randomly picked shows from 1988 (3 shows, taped on a same day, aired 2-4 weeks later):

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
jesus that is loving dire

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WWF used to have monthly house shows in my city, and one time when we went, it turned out to be a TV taping (it wasn't advertised as such) and it was four hours long.

Oof.

Also, Men on a Mission were wrestling and my friend and I were joking about them to ourselves, when the guy behind leaned over to us and said "You hate these n-words too?"

Double oof.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, Mr. Perfect squashes were usually fun. Sometimes he'd decide to give Random Jobber all the offense and pull a win out of his rear end

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Saw a bunch of those tapings growing up around Glens Falls and Albany, NY. I remember the main event of one being a cage match with Hogan/Bossman and a ton of Brother Love shows. Should dig those pictures out sometime.

Also saw the pivotal moment when Nikolai Volkoff sold out to the Million Dollar Man :cry:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Phenix Rising posted:

Saw a bunch of those tapings growing up around Glens Falls and Albany, NY. I remember the main event of one being a cage match with Hogan/Bossman and a ton of Brother Love shows. Should dig those pictures out sometime.

Also saw the pivotal moment when Nikolai Volkoff sold out to the Million Dollar Man :cry:

Weren't they just taping 2 episodes of Raw at a time back then? Which at least was only 1 hour long.

Going to extended tapings back then sounds worse than a modern Wrestlemania. Sure, it's 5 hours less time but at least your get more than 3 minute squashes.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

forkboy84 posted:

Weren't they just taping 2 episodes of Raw at a time back then? Which at least was only 1 hour long.

Going to extended tapings back then sounds worse than a modern Wrestlemania. Sure, it's 5 hours less time but at least your get more than 3 minute squashes.

The ones I saw as a kid were mostly Superstars tapings, but I did see some of those long Raw tapings in Albany as well. I think usually the live episode and then 2 more taped ones?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Phenix Rising posted:

The ones I saw as a kid were mostly Superstars tapings, but I did see some of those long Raw tapings in Albany as well. I think usually the live episode and then 2 more taped ones?

I was only thinking Raw because you specifically mentioned Volkov and the start of the Million Dollar Corporation and that definitely happened on a Raw because I saw it not that recently.

But yeah, you were right, I checked '94 results and they were in batches of 3, they did 2 show tapings in '93.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

forkboy84 posted:

I was only thinking Raw because you specifically mentioned Volkov and the start of the Million Dollar Corporation and that definitely happened on a Raw because I saw it not that recently.

But yeah, you were right, I checked '94 results and they were in batches of 3, they did 2 show tapings in '93.

Hm, maybe his official turn wasn't what I saw then, but just him being aligned with him. I know at the same tapings The Headshrinkers showed up as tag champs which hadn't happened on TV and totally confused me.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

forkboy84 posted:

for a brief period towards the end, WCW would run Nitro live and would tape Worldwide before Nitro and Thunder after Nitrous

only brief because worldwide turned into a recap show, so they stopped taping the dark matches but you would still see 2 hours of Nitro finished by 2 hours of 2000/2001 Thunder

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Ooo interesting stuff, thanks.

Supposedly they already taped like 2 Raws with Lex Luger after he had jumped to Nitro, and in response they did that live episode on the roof on short notice... or am I mixing that up with some other incident? Funny that there could be "lost episodes" of Raw but I can't imagine much happened of note, given the time period.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
there are definitely lost segments. didnt someone recently post a testing of lex luger as champ?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AkumaHokoru posted:

there are definitely lost segments. didnt someone recently post a testing of lex luger as champ?

Bruce Prichard said they did that to gently caress with Meltzer

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Consider the source

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

was brother love's suit color scheme a jab at jim cornette or did people just wear that poo poo

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Minidust posted:

Supposedly they already taped like 2 Raws with Lex Luger after he had jumped to Nitro, and in response they did that live episode on the roof on short notice... or am I mixing that up with some other incident? Funny that there could be "lost episodes" of Raw but I can't imagine much happened of note, given the time period.

Once they had monthly pay per views they settled into taping 4 week’s of Raw the Monday night after (1 live then 3 taped) and 4 episodes of Superstars the next night.

EugeneJ posted:

If they actually did then it backfired because Meltzer was saying Luger was going to win prior to this and after they did this he started to question if Luger was winning.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Minidust posted:

Raw was off the week Nitro debuted and the "emergency taping" on the roof was a new Raw intro being filmed, not matches.

AkumaHokoru posted:

They definitely do what they can to save stuff they have taped. I was at the Raw taping that set up the six man match at International Incident with a lot of segments involving the Warrior, and he was gone before that all aired. They still showed everything but used voiceovers to change the narrative.

It is my understanding that the Luger coming out with the belt was to gauge fan reaction (and that they did that type of stuff for a long time).

Rusty Shackelford fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 23, 2019

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
What's the (kayfabe) reason for wrestling guitars being full of powder?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Adaptabullshit posted:

In kayfabe the guitar is being swung so hard that it is shattering into dust.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I figured it was because one of the boys hid their coke stash in there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I figured it was because one of the boys hid their coke stash in there.

It can be two things!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Adaptabullshit posted:

Its just real dust and skin flakes. You don't clean the inside

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
What heel turn was the most poorly timed in kayfabe? They can't all be surprise briefcase cash-ins, but last night with KO/fi just seemed arbitrary, if hype (although will all understand that this is because the spirit of an angry baby randomly possesess the large Canadian body of Kevin Owens), and WWE wrestlers seem to have a tendency to turn when they're outnumbered and have nothing explicitly to gain in that moment (like the Shield breakup)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

What heel turn was the most poorly timed in kayfabe? They can't all be surprise briefcase cash-ins, but last night with KO/fi just seemed arbitrary, if hype (although will all understand that this is because the spirit of an angry baby randomly possesess the large Canadian body of Kevin Owens), and WWE wrestlers seem to have a tendency to turn when they're outnumbered and have nothing explicitly to gain in that moment (like the Shield breakup)

Buff Bagwell's idiotic turn in WCW after coming back from a legit neck injury that shelved him for six months.

I won't claim they hosed up on making a main even star, but he certainly could have been an upper card face.

EDIT: Missed the "in kayfabe" part.

gently caress it, i'm leaving it