Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh also the Gorch Fock isn’t technically a Nazi ship. She was built off the plans and I think some parts after the war to replace all the sister ships taken by various victorious powers. 1950s some time.

Now if you want a REALLY hosed ship you need to look at the original Gorch Fock. She was scuttled at the end of WW2 then raised by the Soviets and rechristened Tovarisch. After the fall of the USSR she reflagged as Ukrainian and was retired in 1993 because she was broken down and no one wanted to pay for repairs. There was a failed private attempt to restore her in England which folded because of the cost. She later was transferred to a German port for continued restoration and IIRC is a half-failing museum project. She was also re-re-christened Gorch Fock. This means there is a museum ship Gorch Fock (Ex-Tovarisch, ex-Gorch Fock) and a current service one with the same name but absent the delightfully insane rechristening history.

My head hurts from just trying to follow...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
The best part of HMS President and her successors is that they were usually used to patrol along the US eastern seaboard, as an additional gently caress you to the colonials.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cyrano4747 posted:

If Eagle hadn’t been named after loving Horst Wessel if have preferred we kept the original for that reason. gently caress you we kicked your Nazi asses and now own your sailing ship.

The Coast Guard gets a bum rap in contemporary times for being a :airquote: non-combatant :airquote: force, but they were crucial for coastal U-Boat interdiction in WW2: https://uboat.net/allies/ships/uscg.htm

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Coast Guard gets a bum rap in contemporary times for being a :airquote: non-combatant :airquote: force, but they were crucial for coastal U-Boat interdiction in WW2: https://uboat.net/allies/ships/uscg.htm

gently caress man my Grandfather was USCG and I almost didn’t happen because a Kamakazie cam very close to punching his ticket.

USCG did some poo poo in WW2. They also did poo poo around Vietnam during that too.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress man my Grandfather was USCG and I almost didn’t happen because a Kamakazie cam very close to punching his ticket.

USCG did some poo poo in WW2. They also did poo poo around Vietnam during that too.
A Coastie got a posthumous Medal of Honor for fighting at Guadalcanal. They're absolutely military.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
didnt the merchant marine suffer the highest KIA rate or casualty rate in WWII?

airborne my rear end

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Quinntan posted:

The best part of HMS President and her successors is that they were usually used to patrol along the US eastern seaboard, as an additional gently caress you to the colonials.

The actual best part was building the second HMS President to the lines of her predecessor for no reason other than to remind the Americans the RN captured the first one.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Before clicking I was thinking “it’s one of those old Nazi sailing ships isn’t it?”

Yup.

The answer is you’re replacing a bunch of parts in a ship made in the 30s for which there aren’t any spares. Lots of custom fabbing and lots of poo poo where one repair reveals a lot more. The USCG Eagle (ex-Horst Wessel, only ship in the US military where Hitler was present at her commissioning!) and Portuguese Navy Sagres (ex-Albert Leo Schlageter) have had similar issues. The engines have been a main source of issues. Eagle finally had the engine replaced with a modern diesel and then gave the old one to Portugal to use as spares for Sagres.

A credible former Eagle XO tells me she definitely still has a swastika, I think in the captains quarters. There’s an eagle or something covering it up. There’s also a public story that a reichsadler still visible on the ship used to have a swastika in its talons, so maybe the former is a confused version of the latter.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Another part of the problem with the dumb sailing ship repair bill is what according to coverage in the German press is an absolutely hilarious level of graft.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Lobster God posted:

The actual best part was building the second HMS President to the lines of her predecessor for no reason other than to remind the Americans the RN captured the first one.

Not just the Americans but anyone else with a navy... It was more or less a shot against the French more so than the Americans.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

bewbies posted:

airborne my rear end

Yep.

My grandfather (dad's dad) was a Merchant Marine for all of WWII. Before it and after it. Liberty ships. Had a few sunk from under him.

http://www.usmm.org/casualty.html

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Personally I think we should name our next CNV Serapis

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cyrano4747 posted:

Personally I think we should name our next CNV Serapis

For gods sake go back to anything but random politicians. How are you suppose to get jazzed about serving on the Stennis or Vincent. loving bullshit.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

CVN Verizon Wireless

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

LingcodKilla posted:

For gods sake go back to anything but random politicians. How are you suppose to get jazzed about serving on the Stennis or Vincent. loving bullshit.

USS William Henry Harrison

Tythas posted:

CVN Verizon Wireless

Don't even suggest this. As long as the Navy is stretching out ships these days...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

USS Tyrannicide

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

The USS Leroy Grumman has a nice ring to it for a carrier.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just start with the hits.

Enterprise, Saratoga, Lexington, Hornet, Yorktown, etc.

We used to know how to do it. The fact that Admiral Sprague only got a frigate named after him and not a carrier is a loving tragedy.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MrYenko posted:

Just start with the hits.

Enterprise, Saratoga, Lexington, Hornet, Yorktown, etc.
Then skip right over British names and go straight to 40k names.

I would join up to serve on the USS Deathmonger.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Let's go mythical USS Dragonslayer, USS Thor, USS Aphrodite, USS Ogre, USS Paladin, USS Elf.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

bewbies posted:

airborne my rear end

Lower percentage than serving in a u-boat... which is kind of ironic I guess? I recall reading that merchant marine service in the Atlantic had a casualty rate equivalent to that for an infantry unit in combat.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
How about states, cities, and bodies of water? No people.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mortabis posted:

We already do/did states. Cities would be entertaining just to see Congresspeople jockeying for getting their state capitol and/or largest city or cities nominated.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mortabis posted:

How about states, cities, and bodies of water? No, people.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Only do trash cities though.

USS Bakersfield

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

USS City of Corpus Christi will never not be funny to me. Just go back to naming submarines after fish imo.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Shooting Blanks posted:

We already do/did states. Cities would be entertaining just to see Congresspeople jockeying for getting their state capitol and/or largest city or cities nominated.

Cities were Attack Subs for a bit, but the Seawolf and Virginias stopped that. States were Boomers, but now also Virginias. Though they will have to switch up the Virginias at some point because they want 66 of them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Just go back to naming submarines after fish imo.

Yeah, that'd be a great way to honor things about to go extinct. :negative:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
For a while I was peeved at the impropriety of states being mere subs instead of carriers (once upon a time they were battleships), but then I realized the subs are probably more useful and important than the carriers anyway so whatever.

hobbesmaster posted:

USS City of Corpus Christi will never not be funny to me. Just go back to naming submarines after fish imo.

That works too.

There are people who deserve to have ships named after them but I don't think it's possible to have ships named after people without getting people who don't deserve it on the list.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Mortabis posted:

For a while I was peeved at the impropriety of states being mere subs instead of carriers (once upon a time they were battleships), but then I realized the subs are probably more useful and important than the carriers anyway so whatever.

That works too.

There are people who deserve to have ships named after them but I don't think it's possible to have ships named after people without getting people who don't deserve it on the list.

Realtalk, we need an active Lexington, Saratoga, Enterprise, Hornet and Yorktown at all times. Especially Enterprise. States as Boomers makes sense though, there will never be a lot of them and they have the power to end entire countries, states as fast attack is...eh.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, that'd be a great way to honor things about to go extinct. :negative:

Better to do it with large surface ships then

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
We're going to have a carrier named after Trump, aren't we.....

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Only do trash cities though.

USS Bakersfield

Hell you could do an entire class without leaving the Central Valley.

USS Fresno, USS Stockton, USS Corcoran...

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Syrian Lannister posted:

We're going to have a carrier named after Trump, aren't we.....

We better get a USS Bill Clinton or USS Barack Obama first.

Just think of the ship nicknames

"The slick willy!"

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

USS Bloods and USS Crips

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Flikken posted:

We better get a USS Bill Clinton or USS Barack Obama first.

Just think of the ship nicknames

"The slick willy!"

SSBN Bill Clinton, you know, cuz of the shape, and how it slips in undetected before unleashing its huge payload.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

SSBN Bill Clinton, you know, cuz of the shape, and how it slips in undetected before unleashing its huge payload.

I was more thinking that because subs are cigar shaped...

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It is now 1915 in drone years https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/russia-s-shotgun-wielding-drone-is-the-flying-nightmare-1833617897

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Flikken posted:

Cities were Attack Subs for a bit, but the Seawolf and Virginias stopped that. States were Boomers, but now also Virginias. Though they will have to switch up the Virginias at some point because they want 66 of them.

They're already naming some Virginias after people (SSN-795 Rickover), presumably some more people will get boats named after them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

StandardVC10 posted:

Hell you could do an entire class without leaving the Central Valley.

USS Fresno, USS Stockton, USS Corcoran...

There already were.

USS Fresno was a tanker
USS Stockton was a WW2 destroyer

No USS Corcoran yet...