Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

zapplez posted:

:drat:

You are right though, holy gently caress was the supreme court filled with garbage people 150 years ago.

Also now because Heller is a dumb decision and you shouldn't be resting your argument on something that's basically a radical re-interpretation of the 2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jaxyon posted:

Also now because Heller is a dumb decision and you shouldn't be resting your argument on something that's basically a radical re-interpretation of the 2nd.
Interpretations of the 2nd are basically all contradictory nonsense.

Miller is especially loving laffo in light of everything before and after.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jaxyon posted:

I'd like to hear why you think Heller is flawed. I don't see whats in the findings that is radical.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

zapplez posted:

I'd like to hear why you think Heller is flawed. I don't see whats in the findings that is radical.

That's because you agree with it.

It's a reversal of pretty much all prior SCOTUS jurisprudence on the matter, and the culmination of decades of the NRA shifting the narrative to the 2nd Amendment an unrestricted mandate for everyone to own a gun(because it makes them money).

You, I'm guessing, are so young that you've been indoctrinated into this.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jaxyon posted:

It's a reversal of pretty much all prior SCOTUS jurisprudence on the matter, and the culmination of decades of the NRA shifting the narrative to the 2nd Amendment an unrestricted mandate for everyone to own a gun(because it makes them money).

I'm not sure what you mean as the findings being contradictory to the previous judgments. Its never been ok to ban handguns?

Or can you be specific on the points you think are wrong in Heller.

And I don't think im indoctrinated at all. I guess I am more of a depressed realist because I see good countries with good gun laws still have terrible mass shootings or similar events on a regular basis, so obviously we need to do a lot more than just target regular gun owners to prevent these tragedies. We need to figure out a better way to either help or prevent these hosed up young men. Even if we had a magic spell to disappear all the guns tomorrow, next week we'd have another incel rent a uhaul and drive through a group of people so he can satisfy his perverted mind and end up on CNN.

Not to mention in some of the other countries that has started strict gun control that already had serious gang and poverty problems ended up just increasing the issue.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 22, 2019

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

zapplez posted:

I'm not sure what you mean as the findings being contradictory to the previous judgments. Its never been ok to ban handguns?

Or can you be specific on the points you think are wrong in Heller.

https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/justice-scalia-second-amendment-and-judicial-conservatives

Even from the conservative side, it's considered radical

quote:

Scalia penned the most gun-friendly opinion in the Supreme Court’s 200-plus-year history. In that case, District of Columbia v. Heller, the Supreme Court struck down Washington, D.C.’s ban on the possession of operable handguns in the home and held, for the first time, that self-defense is “central” to an individual’s Second Amendment right. Previously, most courts had understood the functioning of a “well-regulated militia” (which appears in the Amendment), not “self-defense” (which does not), to underlie the right to “keep and bear arms.”

Heller was a rare triumph for Justice Scalia’s brand of constitutional originalism, but it was not popular among many well-regarded conservative judges.

In fact, conservative jurists were quick to criticize Heller as lacking two supposed hallmarks of judicial conservatism: an unbiased review of the evidence about the meaning of the Second Amendment and, given ambiguity about that meaning, judicial restraint. Justice Scalia’s opinion, these judicial conservatives argued, deployed an unbalanced historical analysis, reached a questionable conclusion about a constitutional right, and failed to defer to the judgments of elected officials.

J. Harvie Wilkinson III, a conservative Fourth Circuit judge, likened Heller to Roe v. Wade, and suggested that Heller was a “new” form of judicial activism based in “originalism.” Conservative Seventh Circuit Judge Richard Posner agreed in equally stark terms, writing that Heller reflected not conservatism, but rather “freewheeling discretion strongly flavored with ideology.”

Though obviously I don't consider Roe radical.

quote:

And I don't think im indoctrinated at all. I guess I am more of a depressed realist because I see good countries with good gun laws still have terrible mass shootings or similar events on a regular basis,

LOL no they don't

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Heller was inevitable after half a century of trying to dodge around the Miller decision without ever actually addressing how dumb it was.

The court still can't bring itself to deal with Miller despite it being in direct contradiction to Heller.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jaxyon posted:

Prior SCOTUS jurisprudence also ruled that owning people was a human right.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Backyard pools aren't designed to hurl a bullet at such speed that it destroys whatever it hits
Cars aren't designed to hurl a bullet at such speed that it destroys whatever it hits
Cigarettes aren't designed to hurl a bullet at such speed that it destroys whatever it hits
Before I spend too much energy on this, do you actually intend to defend the proposition that the designer's intent should matter with respect to how we regulate something?

VitalSigns posted:

States and counties are allowed to ban alcohol if they want and some counties still do.

They're also allowed to regulate it however they want which is why states have laws that allow them to prosecute the seller if they serve someone alcohol and that person goes out and kills someone.

I'm not sure this is the comparison you want to make.
Again, you seem to be unable to understand the difference between whether something is legal, whether a law would be constitutional, and whether it would be a good idea. The fact that some counties still ban alcohol without falling afoul of the constitution is a complete non-sequitur to the question of whether or not it should be legal for adults to consume alcohol. If you think dry laws are a good idea, you should defend that.

I don't think free speech and self defense are good because they're enumerated in the bill of rights, I think the bill of rights is good because it secures those rights against government interference.

Unoriginal Name posted:

How about defining a gun stored outside a gun safe as unsafe use

Because, ya know, ...it is

"Guns are inert, bombs are not inert" lmao
A gun outside a safe is no more inherently dangerous than a knife outside a safe. Are you unfamiliar with what the word inert means?

VitalSigns posted:

So if a perfect bomb storage solution were invented that completely eliminated all accidental hazards with 100% certainty, you'd be okay with people having arsenals of OKC-attack level of explosives?
In this fantasy world, I would just build my house out of magical explosive proof material and not worry about it.

Jeza posted:

Self-defense is not a human right without restrictions, and restrictions are placed on what constitutes reasonable self-defense and the means by which you can apply it. The 'need' to carry a gun for self-defense is completely circular, because the only situation where that could be necessary would be when you're at risk from other citizens with guns. It is literally a self-propagating and artificial arms race. Not only that, but an armed citizenry necessitates an armed and aggressive police force that liberally applies use of force.
According to your logic, the right of self defense only belongs to those young and strong and swift enough to overcome their attackers without resorting to tools. Those who would attack others are not entitled to a fair fight, and those would defend themselves are entitled to expeditious means to do so.

E: Also, why do you think that increasing the disparity between the force available to the police and that available to other citizens would make the police less aggressive?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 22, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Again, you seem to be unable to understand the difference between whether something is legal, whether a law would be constitutional, and whether it would be a good idea. The fact that some counties still ban alcohol without falling afoul of the constitution is a complete non-sequitur to the question of whether or not it should be legal for adults to consume alcohol. If you think dry laws are a good idea, you should defend that.
Haha

"Why won't you treat guns like alcohol?"
"Okay fine let's do it"
"No no! Don't do that!"

Anyway the problem with banning alcohol and drugs is that it comes with negative social effects that are not observed in countries that ban guns, so it's not illogical to be okay with policies that save lives and have no negative effects whatsoever, and yet not be okay with policies that save some lives but come with other social and even mortality costs that may exceed the benefit.

And I do, for example, support laws that prosecute the seller for irresponsibly serving someone alcohol, they work well, and it would be a great incentive against the kinds of gun stores that sell most of the guns used in crimes in a given city.

Dead Reckoning posted:

In this fantasy world, I would just build my house out of magical explosive proof material and not worry about it.
That wouldn't stop bombings.

So is that what you're going with, if there were a foolproof bomb storage system such that the only way anyone could be injured by bombs is if a bad actor deliberately used them to kill people, you wouldn't see any problem with unfettered bomb ownership?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 22, 2019

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Dead Reckoning posted:

A gun outside a safe is no more inherently dangerous than a knife outside a safe. Are you unfamiliar with what the word inert means?

Please feel free to set fire to a pile of knives and then a pile of bullets and report back on your findings.

Or dont. Depending how it goes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

VitalSigns posted:

Haha

"Okay fine let's do it"
"No no! Don't do that!"

Guns are already regulated in ways similar or more stringent than alcohol, as pointed out, except in ways that it becomes a 10th amendment issue. If you want it not to be a 10th amendment issue, you'd have to repeal the 2nd amendment.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

Please feel free to set fire to a pile of knives and then a pile of bullets and report back on your findings.

Or dont. Depending how it goes.
What do you think happens if you set fire to bullets?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Unoriginal Name posted:

I will bet you $1000 I can set fire to 100 bullets, as hot as possible, and absolutely nothing will happen. Hell, make it $10,000 or any amount you want.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 22, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

I will bet you $1000 I can set fire to 100 bullets, as hot as possible, and absolutely nothing will happen. Hell, make it $10,000 or any amount you want.
LOL we both know what he means. Which is only mildly spicier than nothing happens really.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Weren't there a few posts here some weeks ago about multiple instances where guns just went off by themselves?

Gun apologists are disingenuous in almost every aspect of the discussion.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Rent-A-Cop posted:

LOL we both know what he means. Which is only mildly spicier than nothing happens really.

Language is important, including understanding the language of those you disagree with.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Weren't there a few posts here some weeks ago about multiple instances where guns just went off by themselves?

Gun apologists are disingenuous in almost every aspect of the discussion.

Do you have an actual link?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

Guns are already regulated in ways similar or more stringent than alcohol, as pointed out, except in ways that it becomes a 10th amendment issue. If you want it not to be a 10th amendment issue, you'd have to repeal the 2nd amendment.

This is demonstrably false, name one county in the USA where guns are completely banned.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

VitalSigns posted:

This is demonstrably false, name one county in the USA where guns are completely banned.

Sorry, I meant Article 6. It's a preemption issue. Basically, local and state government cannot completely make guns illegal because it is a Constitutional right to keep and bear arms currently. This has been affirmed recently by SCOTUS. If you want to change that, you have to repeal the 2nd Amendment.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

Haha

"Okay fine let's do it"
"No no! Don't do that!"

Anyway the problem with banning alcohol and drugs is that it comes with negative social effects that are not observed in countries that ban guns, so it's not illogical to be okay with policies that save lives and have no negative effects whatsoever, and yet not be okay with policies that save some lives but come with other social and even mortality costs that may exceed the benefit.

What exactly do you think will happen in America if you banned guns? How would you confiscate the existing guns? Do you think criminals would keep selling and importing guns en masse or like prohibition of alcohol everyone would follow the law?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

Sorry, I meant Article 6. It's a preemption issue. Basically, local and state government cannot completely make guns illegal because it is a Constitutional right to keep and bear arms currently. This has been affirmed recently by SCOTUS. If you want to change that, you have to repeal the 2nd Amendment.

I know, someone suggested that we treat guns like alcohol, and my response was "sure that would mean repealing the 2nd amendment and making it explicitly okay for governments to write whatever gun laws they want", although it turns out that that wasn't what they really wanted after all lol

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

zapplez posted:

And I don't think im indoctrinated at all. I guess I am more of a depressed realist because I see good countries with good gun laws still have terrible mass shootings or similar events on a regular basis, so obviously we need to do a lot more than just target regular gun owners to prevent these tragedies.

Countries with no "regular gun owners" still have hardened criminals; but as Bugsy Siegel once allegedly said, "don't worry, we only shoot each other." Hardened gangsters are not known to target mass crowds of people, it's a danger to their criminal careers to have deaths of uninvolved people in their record and their desired endgame is not a 1v50 standoff with the police. We all know the vast majority of gun deaths aren't related to mass shootings. But mass shootings kill indiscriminately and you are powerless to be uninvolved. Most handgun victims know their killer, but mass shooting victims were more often than not doing something that everyone does to get by in the world.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zapplez posted:

What exactly do you think will happen in America if you banned guns? How would you confiscate the existing guns? Do you think criminals would keep selling and importing guns en masse or like prohibition of alcohol everyone would follow the law?

Australia did it, seemed fine. Turns out addictive substances and toys are different and have different psychological and physiological effects, who knew.

Anyway, I'm not the one who suggested it, someone else suggested we treat guns like alcohol, I just explained what that would mean, repealing the 2nd. Turned out he didn't like his own idea after all lol.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 22, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

Australia did it, seemed fine.

Anyway, I'm not the one who suggested it, someone else suggested we treat guns like alcohol, I just explained what that would mean, repealing the 2nd. Turned out he didn't like his own idea after all lol.

What do you think good gun control looks like if you don't believe in total disarmament ? A system similar to Canada or Australia?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zapplez posted:

What do you think good gun control looks like if you don't believe in total disarmament ? A system similar to Canada or Australia?

Sure sounds good. Or Sweden. Really just about any OECD country has better ideas than America does obv

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

There's some posts starting from here

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

Sure sounds good. Or Sweden. Really just about any OECD country has better ideas than America does obv

That would be a good first step. We will still need to do a lot more if we want to curb mass shootings specifically.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Dead Reckoning posted:

According to your logic, the right of self defense only belongs to those young and strong and swift enough to overcome their attackers without resorting to tools. Those who would attack others are not entitled to a fair fight, and those would defend themselves are entitled to expeditious means to do so.

E: Also, why do you think that increasing the disparity between the force available to the police and that available to other citizens would make the police less aggressive?

What you claimed isn't contained in what I stated. Regardless, my overarching point is that the conventional 'right' of self-defense is restricted by proportionality. In most countries, there is a set standard, and in the U.S it somewhat varies state by state. If a baby punches you, you aren't entitled to beat it to death and so on. The application of lethal force by a civilian in self-defense is generally only considered legal when 'a reasonable person' would have cause to fear for their own life.

The introduction of firearms creates a situation where that fear is amplified incredibly strongly and probably justifiably. This means that attackers and those being attacked are far more likely to die in any kind of assault, whether one or both parties are armed. The fantasy of the weak protecting the strong through firearms being an equalising force is pretty commonplace, but ultimately just a fantasy. Those who carry guns for self-defense are far more likely to die than those without, and those that aren't killed or even ever attacked passively increase the risk for everybody, because as you would expect, firearms are a weapon of offense far more often than they are one of defense. Put simply, the 'weak' are far safer when nobody has access to firearms rather than when both the 'weak' and the 'young and strong' have equal access, not least because firearms are a gross amplifier of both force but impulse.

As to the police question, no doubt this is a deeply unpopular view among Americans, but in the end, any police force is primarily composed of regular people. Their behaviour and training is ultimately formed by the environment in which they exist. As in Mexico or Brazil, the armed police in America are dangerous in response to a dangerous society. When any person can carry a hidden lethal weapon, a trigger happy mentality will flourish as the best way to protect themselves. De-escalation is a luxury of a disarmed society. Power-tripping and racism are part and parcel of any police force, it's only when firearms are in the equation that things spiral out of control. Nearly every police force on the planet is armed while the civilian population is not. Rampant police brutality and extra-judicial killing occur overwhelmingly in those places where the citizens are also armed.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

qkkl posted:

Prior SCOTUS jurisprudence also ruled that owning people was a human right.

"Not being allowed to have guns is as bad as being enslaved" is what I'm getting here". Please clarify?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Jeza posted:

As to the police question, no doubt this is a deeply unpopular view among Americans, but in the end, any police force is primarily composed of regular people. Their behaviour and training is ultimately formed by the environment in which they exist. As in Mexico or Brazil, the armed police in America are dangerous in response to a dangerous society. When any person can carry a hidden lethal weapon, a trigger happy mentality will flourish as the best way to protect themselves. De-escalation is a luxury of a disarmed society. Power-tripping and racism are part and parcel of any police force, it's only when firearms are in the equation that things spiral out of control. Nearly every police force on the planet is armed while the civilian population is not. Rampant police brutality and extra-judicial killing occur overwhelmingly in those places where the citizens are also armed.
Oh no those poor scared cops

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Shooting Blanks posted:

Language is important, including understanding the language of those you disagree with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fn6GFSwTEw

This is probably what he was thinking of

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Police in AZ's Department of Public Safety had to emergency trade in their sidearms because uh, whoops, FN hosed up

https://i.imgur.com/XSnTLaI.mp4

This was yesterday, by the way.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

*thinks of former acquantance who kept a sidearm without a safety fully loaded in his pocket while he worked*
Guns are so safe and cool.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Craptacular! posted:

Countries with no "regular gun owners" still have hardened criminals; but as Bugsy Siegel once allegedly said, "don't worry, we only shoot each other." Hardened gangsters are not known to target mass crowds of people, it's a danger to their criminal careers to have deaths of uninvolved people in their record and their desired endgame is not a 1v50 standoff with the police. We all know the vast majority of gun deaths aren't related to mass shootings. But mass shootings kill indiscriminately and you are powerless to be uninvolved. Most handgun victims know their killer, but mass shooting victims were more often than not doing something that everyone does to get by in the world.

hot take: everyone dying all the time is more democratic than underlings dying at the hand of their betters occasionally

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

suck my woke dick posted:

hot take: everyone dying all the time is more democratic than underlings dying at the hand of their betters occasionally

A real leftist would want to see the means of death returned to the people. :colbert:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Haha

"Okay fine let's do it"
"No no! Don't do that!"

VitalSigns posted:

I know, someone suggested that we treat guns like alcohol, and my response was "sure that would mean repealing the 2nd amendment and making it explicitly okay for governments to write whatever gun laws they want", although it turns out that that wasn't what they really wanted after all lol

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think you actually read the thread. I said that I didn't think the fact that people die from gun violence is a compelling argument for banning guns, because we tolerate social harms like alcohol despite their high human toll. Then Unoriginal Name suggested that we regulate guns like alcohol along several specific lines. I replied that we already effectively do most of those things.

It's never the pro-gun side that suggests regulating guns like cars or alcohol, it's always the anti side. All I do is point out that the regulation of guns is significantly more stringent than the regulation of cars or alcohol, based on how we actually regulate those things.

Your gotcha isn't even a particularly good one, because you aren't actually suggesting that we regulate guns the way we regulate alcohol, which is a cash-and-carry affair with no paperwork in all 50 states and available from a drive-thru in some. You're suggesting that we regulate guns the way we hypothetically could regulate alcohol.

VitalSigns posted:

And I do, for example, support laws that prosecute the seller for irresponsibly serving someone alcohol, they work well, and it would be a great incentive against the kinds of gun stores that sell most of the guns used in crimes in a given city.
I'm really curious what measure you think gun store employees could use to determine whether someone has criminal tendencies just by looking at them.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm really curious what measure you think gun store employees could use to determine whether someone has criminal tendencies just by looking at them.
What self-respecting gunsmith doesn't have a set of calipers?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Your gotcha isn't even a particularly good one, because you aren't actually suggesting that we regulate guns the way we regulate alcohol, which is a cash-and-carry affair with no paperwork in all 50 states and available from a drive-thru in some. You're suggesting that we regulate guns the way we hypothetically could regulate alcohol.

Not true, there are counties where alcohol sales aren't allowed at all.

FWIW I agree with you that states and counties and cities should have the same latitude to regulate guns that they have to regulate alcohol.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We need to stop reporting on this poo poo, this way. The loving top story, with a killers smiling picture at the top of the page, also detailing his manifesto. Doing exactly what the sick fucks want in terms of them being covered and glorified.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6969039/John-Earnest-allegedly-tried-burn-mosque-month-manifesto-reveals.html

CNN on the other hand did a much better job. Their byline was about the victims. Main photo on front page was of survivors.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/28/us/california-synagogue-shooting-victims/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

zapplez posted:

We need to stop reporting on this poo poo, this way. The loving top story, with a killers smiling picture at the top of the page, also detailing his manifesto. Doing exactly what the sick fucks want in terms of them being covered and glorified.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6969039/John-Earnest-allegedly-tried-burn-mosque-month-manifesto-reveals.html

CNN on the other hand did a much better job. Their byline was about the victims. Main photo on front page was of survivors.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/28/us/california-synagogue-shooting-victims/index.html

Pretty sure the daily mail is one of those 'newspapers' actively trying to get more white people murdering minorities