Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Twiggy
Sep 9, 2018

Floppy drives should be stylish and fun

jit bull transpile posted:

I went to the melt in Cupertino once and the burger melt and cheese fries were pretty good. that is my melt story thank you for listening

pretty sure that one closed some time in the past couple of months lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poke places are so popular because they can keep all the ingredients cold and don’t have to deal with half the food handling rules and regulations

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the only time i tried one of the make-your-own-poke-bowl places i managed to piece together something that was insanely vile to eat and i haven't been back because i don't trust myself to try again

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh man, if I had a dollar for every time someone outside the food industry thought they had a good idea for a restaurant, and coupled it with "well how hard could it be".

:allears:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

iospace posted:

Oh man, if I had a dollar for every time someone outside the food industry thought they had a good idea for a restaurant, and coupled it with "well how hard could it be".

my dad is an excellent cook. he's not a trained cook or anything, he's a machinist, but he grew up around my grandmother and became good at it. whenever my parents entertain he does the cooking and people are ALWAYS saying "you should open a restaurant" and i always respond with "do you want to kill him?"

i've worked in the food industry, even doing a mediocre job of running a restaurant is hard work

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

iospace posted:

restaurants/food stalls have existed for 4000 years and they pretty much have had all their efficiencies wrung out of them. its a grinding, low margin, ultra-competitive business with a super-high failure rate. its pretty much the opposite of "ripe for disruption"

i like jwz but a lot of the unintentional comedy on his blog is watching him try and fail to apply his technology project skills to the business of running a nightclub and pizza joint

that wired article about the melt has this little nugget

quote:

“I think if you’re looking for the angle of, like, what went wrong, I would say that nothing went wrong,” Kaplan told me when we last spoke. “But what we did learn is that the quality of the food is the most important reason why someone comes to a restaurant.”
they literally overlooked making sure the food didnt taste like poo poo when they planned out the restaurant

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FMguru posted:

they literally overlooked making sure the food didnt taste like poo poo when they planned out the restaurant

startups regularly get millions upon millions in funding for barely-functional apps that don't actually do anything useful but look slick and have a lot of buzzwords so clearly people value that above all else, let's just apply the same idea to food

look your food is being made by a futuristic food machine, isn't that neat!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
who can forget the 600lb machine that squeezed juice out of a bag. but with wifi

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the juicero was funny tho b/c though it was a bad idea, it was constructed extremely well

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it fulfilled all its design goals, it just turned out to be something that no one actually wanted to buy. also those design goals turned out to be dumb

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

this is one of my favorite videos on the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cp-BGQfpHQ

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

the juicero was funny tho b/c though it was a bad idea, it was constructed extremely well

it used a lot of expensive parts, but on the tear down i saw they kept commenting about how difficult it would be to service / reliability concerns

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FMguru posted:

why would that be important? in n out is profitable

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
in n out doesnt cost $8 for a grilled cheese

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Broken Machine posted:

it used a lot of expensive parts, but on the tear down i saw they kept commenting about how difficult it would be to service / reliability concerns

service? what's that? when things break you throw them out and buy new ones, especially if you're the kind of rich idiot that buys a juicero

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/bg1qun/q1_earnings_show/

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
please stop linking to reddit

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

my friend sent me the link and i don’t know how to pull the embedded video out on mobile. dwi

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

so wait whatever happened to the bezos dick pic saga that whole story seemed to die out of nowhere

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nobody cares about bezos dick

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rex-Goliath posted:

so wait whatever happened to the bezos dick pic saga that whole story seemed to die out of nowhere

his dick didn't look weird or remarkable enough to be worth printing and also he didn't give a poo poo about it

so the right wing tabloid company that went and hunted it down is now falling apart and trying to sell off some of its publications to stay solvent lol

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/10/american-media-inc-is-looking-to-sell-the-national-enquirer.html

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Shaggar posted:

nobody cares about bezos dick

shaggar i know a lot of people give you poo poo around here, but we’d be sad if you left.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rex-Goliath posted:

turns out bezos would be happy to have his dick plastered over the internet so trump/national enquirer(AMI) et al. went "welp that didn't work" and promised not to do it in exchange for maybe not being sued by bezos?

that's p much about it.

e: beaten, yeah AMI/Nat Enq isn't doing good, but that's kinda irrespective of trying to blackmail da bezos.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

do no evil, guys!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/22/google-mass-protests-employee-retaliation?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i remember there being some intrigue with the saudis involved but i feel like trump opened his mouth five minutes later and it all got brushed away. or did i dream that

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
the enquirer reportedly spent a bunch of money trying to hunt down bezos' dick pics tho and clealry expected to be able to pull a bunch of extra ad revenue etc from doing so. and essentially all that money went downt he toilet when jeff was like "sure publish my dick i don't care but also we're going to look at suing you regardless"

so there's p much no way that backfire isn't a major contributor to ami trying to unload the enquirer

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

qirex posted:

there was an article a few months ago about how in places where the minimum wage is 15 or more military recruitment drops to basically zero
hurray

Jonny 290 posted:

it was constructed *expensively*

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
reminder: the people who buy juiceros believe that pressing fruit flat with a big metal slab instead of your hands or any other method, is neccesary so that your juice doesn't lose "life energy" and therefore make you sick

its why the "but u can just squeeze the packs" stuff is so dumb as like an argument to it - the packs are ruinously expensive for the like 6 ounces of uice they make, plus the only reason you evne have them is that you believe a blender or using any method to prevent rot kills "life force" you need to eat to be healthy.

s'like complaining about having to wait for a priest to give you a communion wafer instead of just eating it out of the bag or somethin

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

reminder: the people who buy juiceros believe that pressing fruit flat with a big metal slab instead of your hands or any other method, is neccesary so that your juice doesn't lose "life energy" and therefore make you sick

I refuse to believe this is true, stop trolling me fishmech!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the cold pressed juice people also ofc can't have it frozen or heated or anything at any point because that also kills the healthmagic in it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what people who buy juiceros?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the cold pressed juice people also ofc can't have it frozen or heated or anything at any point because that also kills the healthmagic in it

yep its basically a cult belief system.

it ends up being marketed to regular people just as a fun attribute but the people who take it seriously and actually go to those cold juice bars or whatever all the time are very serious about it

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

this is a pro-click

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

no dick pic could possibly be as embarrassing as "I love you, alive girl"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Xaris posted:

i think if I were opening a chain, salad places seem like a better investment. there's like 10 of them within a few blocks and each $15 salad place has a line out the door starting at 11:30. they just opened another one which has a massive lobby of zig-zaging lines filled to the brim.

well, at least until financial bubble pops and no one has anymore money for $15 daily salads

salad places are the new hot thing around here which is sorta weird because people don’t usually eat uncooked vegetables but it’s hip and trendy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Janitor Prime posted:

I refuse to believe this is true, stop trolling me fishmech!

it wasn't the people who buy them (though I'm sure they do too) it's the idiot who created it in the first place that claimed that stuff

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fart simpson posted:

salad places are the new hot thing around here which is sorta weird because people don’t usually eat uncooked vegetables but it’s hip and trendy

this is hong kong right? yeah i could see that. especially osmosis of the western finance/tech culture and media.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shame Boy posted:

it wasn't the people who buy them (though I'm sure they do too) it's the idiot who created it in the first place that claimed that stuff

yes he made a ton of money initially by running a national chain of juice stores that sold the same crap, which he sold off aroudn the time the chain collapsed because it turns out runnign such places is much more expensive than normal juice stores

but you reallly wouldn't be buying a juicero if you didn't believe the same system of stuff about juice life force, or run a business selling the juice to people who did believe (remember, juicero sold a "commercial model" for such places that was the same equipment with a different badge, and access to larger subscription juice pack plans!)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fishmech posted:

s'like complaining about having to wait for a priest to give you a communion wafer instead of just eating it out of the bag or somethin

look pal, transubstantiation only happens when you press the juice button. otherwise you're just drinking juice, which you could buy at the store.

like, i didn't get up and sit down eight times in an hour so i could eat a yeastless cracker

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

people don’t usually eat uncooked vegetables

wait, what?