Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone get their travel gift card for Pixel 3? Just got my email last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
I got my Fi credit from the Black Friday deal.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hope I actually get $490 worth of credit.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Yeah I got mine yesterday, thanks Google

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm still salty I missed that promotion by minutes

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Mine hasn't come in yet but I did discover this link recently which will let you check the status of Fi promotions. The status shows last updated Dec. 18 but I have hope it'll show up soon.

Also saw a screen cap of the travel promo e-mail. Text:

quote:

1. Click the redemption link above to activate your travel credit.
2. Next, redeem your balance of travel gift card(s). You can choose a combination of retailers, or even share with a friend--just input the name and email address you'd like to send the gift card to.
3. Enjoy your travels with Google Fi!

If you don't want to spend your entire value right away, you can store the balance to redeem at another time. Just save this email or URL and return via the redemption link--your value will be waiting for you.

If you purchased multiple devices for others on your group plan, you may receive notification of additional credit once the devices qualify.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 22, 2019

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Anyone else having fewer spam calls after using screening? I was getting about 2 a day when I switched, now I see maybe 2 a week.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The number of robo calls that have been ringing my phone has drastically decreased. I don't know if its due to the Google Screening functionality or what.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was getting multiple a day but that seems to have gone down this last week?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone get their travel gift card for Pixel 3? Just got my email last night.

I got all of mine on the 21st of last month.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am changing my Pixel XL for a iPhone Xr, can I just transfer my Pixel XL sim over to the Xr and set it up with my current phone number or will I need a new Google Fi SIM card?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I had different phones than you, but I was able to put the card in an iphone and get it to work. Make sure you install the Fi app and change the OS settings though, so that MMS works properly

also, welcome to the club of dialing into voicemail like a caveman

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I had different phones than you, but I was able to put the card in an iphone and get it to work. Make sure you install the Fi app and change the OS settings though, so that MMS works properly

also, welcome to the club of dialing into voicemail like a caveman

Welcome back you mean! :v: I never ever check my voicemail so I like this better.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pixel phones 50% off today and today only because of Google Fi's birthday.

gently caress I'm really tempted to upgrade my Pixel XL to like, a Pixel 3 or something...

Just in case anybody needs it, here's my referral code.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Pixel phones 50% off today and today only because of Google Fi's birthday.

gently caress I'm really tempted to upgrade my Pixel XL to like, a Pixel 3 or something...

Just in case anybody needs it, here's my referral code.

:stare: If I hadn't already just upgraded my phone a couple weeks ago, I would have pulled the trigger on this so hard.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My referral code is P4Y15H as well if anyone is looking to get on fi just to grab the deal.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

:stare: If I hadn't already just upgraded my phone a couple weeks ago, I would have pulled the trigger on this so hard.

Argghhhhh I'm so torn. My Pixel XL is showing a little bit of its age but is still a great device, and I'm trying to save up for a new tattoo AND a new part-gaming/part-professional PC, AND I've got a trip to Japan in like 2 weeks so fffffffffffffuck. :psyduck:

If I bought a new phone I'd have the Pixel XL as a backup, which I like the thought of, as well... :psyduck: :psyduck:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Johnny Truant posted:

Argghhhhh I'm so torn. My Pixel XL is showing a little bit of its age but is still a great device, and I'm trying to save up for a new tattoo AND a new part-gaming/part-professional PC, AND I've got a trip to Japan in like 2 weeks so fffffffffffffuck. :psyduck:

If I bought a new phone I'd have the Pixel XL as a backup, which I like the thought of, as well... :psyduck: :psyduck:
Yeah dammit, my pixel has a cracked front but still works great. Dunno if I should really pay $400 and a headphone jack for a slightly better screen but drat that's a good deal.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah dammit, my pixel has a cracked front but still works great. Dunno if I should really pay $400 and a headphone jack for a slightly better screen but drat that's a good deal.

Wait the Pixel 3 doesn't have a headphone jack? That's pretty annoying.

My coworker, who has a 3XL, said it's definitely worth $400. But like... fffffffffuck!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Upgraded from my Nexus 5X to a Pixel 3. Awesome timing too, placed my order last night on Google's store because it was on sale there for 699. Saw this 50% off deal and was able to cancel that order in time to snag this one.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My wife and I are considering this upgrade but we're not really sure how much of an upgrade it is?

we've got Mot g5 plusses, and how much better is a pixel 3?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

redreader posted:

My wife and I are considering this upgrade but we're not really sure how much of an upgrade it is?

we've got Mot g5 plusses, and how much better is a pixel 3?

It's definitely gonna be a better experience due to the better CPU and faster RAM in the Pixel 3, but consider that the Moto G5 Plus is an excellent phone for its price and the Pixel 3 is usually overpriced compared to other phones with similar specs. The camera is going to be significantly better in the P3 too. If you take a ton of pictures with your phones and wanna look at them with a beautiful OLED screen, it might be worth the upgrade, but I'd argue that if you aren't currently having issues with your phones, you should hang onto the Motorolas until later this year.

I went from a piece of poo poo Nexus 6P to a Pixel 3 and it was an amazing upgrade. That said, the Nexus 6P was also pretty hot stuff when it first came out and turned into a buggy, garbage phone within months. If your Motos aren't giving you grief, hang onto them. My Pixel 3 is already noticeably slower than it was when I first started using it and I'm running almost all stock apps with the exception of the Awful app, Pokemon Go, and Final Fantasy Record Keeper. Don't have any news, social media, etc. apps installed.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Think I should get another year out of my XL given my budget but will be marking this in my calendar for next year. Don't remember this happening last year so won't count on it though.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it. When you suggested we wait until later in the year.... What will happen then? New phones? Some new tech? Or just black Friday sales?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Fighting the urge to upgrade from my Moto x4.
Anyone traded one in? What did they offer for it?

Edit: $39 for it, phht

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 22, 2019

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ugh, I'm torn. The XL is sold out again in colors I actually want and the Pixel 3 has a smaller battery than my Pixel XL and I don't think I'd like less battery life. Why would they put such a tiny battery in there?

e: whatever, I'm pulling the trigger.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 22, 2019

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

battery size is not directly related to battery life. i don't know how efficient the pixel 3 is on battery usage, but it's pretty silly to compare two totally different phones based on mAh alone

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Lutha Mahtin posted:

battery size is not directly related to battery life. i don't know how efficient the pixel 3 is on battery usage, but it's pretty silly to compare two totally different phones based on mAh alone

Yeah, I did some reading and that's the conclusion I came to. My phone trajectory has always involved a larger battery in my newer phone, so I had some biases.

Looking forward to my pixel 3 :yayclod:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

redreader posted:

Thanks for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it. When you suggested we wait until later in the year.... What will happen then? New phones? Some new tech? Or just black Friday sales?

Honestly, whenever something strikes your fancy. Since you're posting in the Fi thread I assume you have Fi service, so just be on the lookout for promotions through Fi or the Google Store. I'm sure they'll have some cool introductory promotion when the Pixel 3a or whatever it's called is released. I dunno what's important to you with a phone, but just consider what you like about your phone and, more importantly, what you don't like about it. Is it hard to see in direct sunlight/outdoors even with the brightness cranked? Can you get through at least a couple of days on a single charge with typical use? Are you okay with not having expandable storage? Do the pictures look okay when viewed on a computer or a tablet? Is there a headphone jack? Will it come with a ton of bloatware preinstalled? Does it have a fingerprint sensor and, if so, is it in a comfortable place for you? There's no shame in buying a sturdier phone if you're clumsy--that's exactly why they exist. A lot of people get caught up with having the newest whatever and are fine with spending $1,000+ annually on new phones but just find one that has features you enjoy and is in a price point that won't break the bank, imho.

Bring back physical keyboards on phones. I've been using touch screens for over a decade now and still can't type on them. (I know this isn't the thread for that)

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yeah, I did some reading and that's the conclusion I came to. My phone trajectory has always involved a larger battery in my newer phone, so I had some biases.

Looking forward to my pixel 3 :yayclod:

My Pixel 3 last at least 4 times longer on a full charge than my 6P did five months into owning each of them. The more efficient CPUs get, the better battery life we're gonna get since no one knows how to make better batteries. Enjoy your new phone!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
How much of a jump is a pixel 3 over a 2 though? P3 has a better camera, but the rest doesn't seem almost $300 after trade in better to me.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Fighting the urge to upgrade from my Moto x4.
Anyone traded one in? What did they offer for it?

Edit: $39 for it, phht

I did that upgrade. I gave my Moto X4 to my dad (I did it Black Friday, and was buying him an X4, anyway; instead, he got my old one, I got the 3XL for $550). It's a substantial upgrade, and if you like big phones, use your phone a lot, and/or use your camera a lot, I would say it's well worth it. I probably wouldn't take $40 for the Moto X4, though.

The camera is incredible. I'm the world's worst photographer, and it takes amazing pictures.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

How much of a jump is a pixel 3 over a 2 though? P3 has a better camera, but the rest doesn't seem almost $300 after trade in better to me.

It was freaking huge from an original Pixel to a 3, but based on some other people I know who have done 2->3 it's really not even half as big of a change. If your upgrade reason includes battery life, take a serious look at simply having the now old battery replaced in your 2.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Man, that deal is tempting. Now to decide on the 3 or 3XL to replace my first gen XL?

e: Won't let me check out so it may not matter!

e2: Finally let me grab a black 128GB 3!

fknlo fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 23, 2019

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Not enough to even classify as a jump especially when considering the original price of your Pixel 2 and the $300 they'd give you for it. Wasn't the P2 camera software patched to be basically a P3 camera anyway?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Purchased a phone through Fi. It shipped via FedEx to my office, and I was given a tracking number. For some reason when it got to my local FedEx location it stated my delivery is delayed because of an "incorrect address". I double-checked that I had typed it in correctly when I made the order, and it's fine. I get stuff shipped from Amazon and other places here all the time. Next day, the FedEx tracking said "invalid recipient". I call FedEx with the tracking number but they can't help me correct or validate the address because I'm not the shipper. I contact Fi Support and explain the situation to them, surely it's just a mistake in the address and it's so close, can you call FedEx and get this corrected somehow? Fi Support escalate to their shipping team same day. The next day I get an email stating I received a refund for my purchase. :ughh: I uhh, I guess I'll buy the phone from somewhere else...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bloodplay it again posted:

Bring back physical keyboards on phones. I've been using touch screens for over a decade now and still can't type on them. (I know this isn't the thread for that)
Try Swiftkey, Swype, or the Glide option on GBoard. If you've tried it before, give it another try and stick with it for a couple of weeks.

I definitely couldn't switch to a touchscreen keyboard before that (I had a physical keyboard into the iPhone 2-3 era). Can't recommend it enough.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I don't see a google voice thread so I'll try here:

Has anyone else noticed the GV web interface turning into slow, browser-lagging poo poo lately? It's happening on multiple PCs for me, so it's not just a one-device problem, here.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Weaponized Autism posted:

Purchased a phone through Fi. It shipped via FedEx to my office, and I was given a tracking number. For some reason when it got to my local FedEx location it stated my delivery is delayed because of an "incorrect address". I double-checked that I had typed it in correctly when I made the order, and it's fine. I get stuff shipped from Amazon and other places here all the time. Next day, the FedEx tracking said "invalid recipient". I call FedEx with the tracking number but they can't help me correct or validate the address because I'm not the shipper. I contact Fi Support and explain the situation to them, surely it's just a mistake in the address and it's so close, can you call FedEx and get this corrected somehow? Fi Support escalate to their shipping team same day. The next day I get an email stating I received a refund for my purchase. :ughh: I uhh, I guess I'll buy the phone from somewhere else...

Fi and FedEx together are like peanut butter and shards of glass. I had to drive across town to pick up my Pixel 3 XL a few months ago because the driver wouldn't come to my door so I couldn't sign for it.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

Cloks posted:

Fi and FedEx together are like peanut butter and shards of glass. I had to drive across town to pick up my Pixel 3 XL a few months ago because the driver wouldn't come to my door so I couldn't sign for it.

I'm pretty sure I have PTSD from having to deal with FedEx, Fi, and trying to get my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
For people porting a number from a family plan on ATT to Fi, how was it? Painless? How long did the transfer take?