Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Danaru posted:

In Hitman 2, looking down the scope of one of the silenced sniper rifles causes the sounds around you to dull so you can focus, and more inexplicably, causes the version of Ave Maria they used in Blood Money to start playing.

I dont know if the other rifles do it too but :allears:

As far as I remember it is a quirk of that particular gun you were using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
OK, the pirate skeletons in Strange Brigade own. They have so much personality. When they first are raised from the dead, one of them takes a swig from an empty mug of grog, gets disappointed and tosses it aside, hitting another one who's just woken up in the skull. Also in the first big area with them, you hear piano music - if you go towards it you see a little optional room where a bunch of them are having a little party with one of them playing the piano.

They are the best.

Also throughout the game there are chests that you collect with gold or collectibles in them, that all look the same throughout the game. At one point though, you blow a hole in the hull of the pirate's ship, and in the hull is one large chest that while it has the same colouring and logo as the others, has the traditional piratey treasure-chest shape. I love that unique chest.

I made a video for a friend to show off the game, so figured I'd put it here so you could all see how fun it is: https://youtu.be/JYoBMSbkiz4?t=107

There are four main characters, all common 1930 stereotypes, so the nigerian warrior woman, the indiana jones type, the middle class woman with a spunky personality and the action professor. It defaults to the nigerian woman

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 12:16 on Apr 21, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
For a bit of a change, I've started playing Hylics, and it's surreal nature is interesting in a comprehensible way. The visuals are bizarre with very little to anchor to reality, and the dialog is intentionally nonsense, but there is still a narrative flow in the interactions with the world, like I know I need to open the gate in the first island to release the boat, so I can get to one of the TVs - the fact that they teach the party useful spells means that the game has a meta-plot - find all the TVs, which is a consistent idea that can carry you through most of hte game, it's all a matter of "How do I get this?" also the fact that all the water sources or bed types heal you adds some consistency to the game's madness. The plot is surreal, but it's because it can be because it seems to be mostly highlighting that the pure mechanics of an RPG are understandable enough on their own that you don't need telling, you just know how to advance through understanding the genre as a whole.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
Replaying Far Cry 4 and I love the way the radio tower announcements get more desperate the further into the game you get.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

There are four main characters, all common 1930 stereotypes, so the nigerian warrior woman, the indiana jones type, the middle class woman with a spunky personality and the action professor. It defaults to the nigerian woman
Sorry but if anyone's an action professor it's Indiana Jones

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, it's really more Allan Quartermaine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BioEnchanted posted:

For a bit of a change, I've started playing Hylics, and it's surreal nature is interesting in a comprehensible way. The visuals are bizarre with very little to anchor to reality, and the dialog is intentionally nonsense, but there is still a narrative flow in the interactions with the world, like I know I need to open the gate in the first island to release the boat, so I can get to one of the TVs - the fact that they teach the party useful spells means that the game has a meta-plot - find all the TVs, which is a consistent idea that can carry you through most of hte game, it's all a matter of "How do I get this?" also the fact that all the water sources or bed types heal you adds some consistency to the game's madness. The plot is surreal, but it's because it can be because it seems to be mostly highlighting that the pure mechanics of an RPG are understandable enough on their own that you don't need telling, you just know how to advance through understanding the genre as a whole.

Hylics owns, it's the best "jrpg" ever made

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I'm playing a small game called Save Koch, it's a game where you play as a pig man crime boss who's being targeted for a hit, so the gameplay is mostly you sitting in a panic room making phone calls and sending out your agents to do missions in order to figure out who the mastermind behind it is, and who their mole is.

One of the agents I unlocked is a hacker, her description says she never leaves her home, which I assumed was just flavour text.
That is until I sent her to investigate an arson tip, it turned out it was a trap and the building exploded, this would have killed any other agent, but according to the completion message, her being a shut in nerd meant she wasn't there when the bomb went off.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I picked up Risk of Rain 2 recently based on the strength of the first game and I'm real glad to see it still captures the same magic despite the switch to 3D. The game is based around hoovering up items until you can survive long enough to get ridiculously overpowered. The cool thing in the second game is that every item you pick up is displayed on your model, thanks 3D!

You start off looking like this:

After a while, you look like this:

There's even more poo poo on my back you can't see. I also love that the engineer's turrets get the item models on them too but I forgot to take a screenshot of that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just finished playing the first chapter of Delta Rune (at this rate, the only chapter), and man, it's like the best parts of Undertale coalesced into a game. The combat is quicker and avoidable in many areas, party members mean more conversations, and while I'm sure there are people who disagree vehemently, I absolutely loved the writing. It's so rare that I laugh at the writing in a video game, but the character interactions, between everyone whether it's the bruiser in your party, the 'bad guy' of the chapter, or just incidental dialogue, is great.

Like, at one point you confront a 'puzzle master', who speaks in flowery ye olde english, with 'thou's and 'sayest's all over the place, and he forces you to solve his diabolical puzzle. It's to push a single block over one space. When you do, he just pauses, then:

Rouxls: GOD

Rouxls: drat IT

And leaves.

Anyway I'm highly anticipating the next one, though who the heck knows when that'll come out.

Also Toby Fox's response to questions or complaints makes me chucke

"Because it's a free download I'm surrounded by a forcefield that destroys all complaints"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I just finished my playthrough of The Sexy Brutale, and boy this game has so many good things going for it. But the only thing I'd count as 'little' and also isn't spoilery is this -

Your goal in the game is to save people stuck in a timeloop through figuring out how they died then changing things up to prevent it from happening, as you'd do. Now, the nice little thing is that as soon as you do whatever it is that saves someone, the game immediately fades to the scene of their survival instead of forcing you to wait the day out and see everything transpire in real time. This both makes it so you don't need to wait patiently every time until they survive, and also you instantly know you did the right thing. Very nice of the game I'd say! Especially when at least one puzzle you can solve very early in the day but the changed event only happens at the end.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
I appreciate that in Postal 3 the taser often misfires, and has a very rare chance to even kill NPCs if you hold the button for too long. Intentional or not, it adds a lot to the game's themes and reminds the fact that there's no perfect non-fatal solution in reality either.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Morpheus posted:

I just finished playing the first chapter of Delta Rune (at this rate, the only chapter), and man, it's like the best parts of Undertale coalesced into a game. The combat is quicker and avoidable in many areas, party members mean more conversations, and while I'm sure there are people who disagree vehemently, I absolutely loved the writing. It's so rare that I laugh at the writing in a video game, but the character interactions, between everyone whether it's the bruiser in your party, the 'bad guy' of the chapter, or just incidental dialogue, is great.

Like, at one point you confront a 'puzzle master', who speaks in flowery ye olde english, with 'thou's and 'sayest's all over the place, and he forces you to solve his diabolical puzzle. It's to push a single block over one space. When you do, he just pauses, then:

Rouxls: GOD

Rouxls: drat IT

And leaves.

Anyway I'm highly anticipating the next one, though who the heck knows when that'll come out.

Also Toby Fox's response to questions or complaints makes me chucke

"Because it's a free download I'm surrounded by a forcefield that destroys all complaints"

My favourite gag is when you meet the shopkeeper who's like a raggedy stitched up old teddy bear. "My name is Seam, pronounced Shawm".

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Beartaco posted:

My favourite gag is when you meet the shopkeeper who's like a raggedy stitched up old teddy bear. "My name is Seam, pronounced Shawm".

And this is my little Seap.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I appreciate that in Postal 3 the taser often misfires, and has a very rare chance to even kill NPCs if you hold the button for too long. Intentional or not, it adds a lot to the game's themes and reminds the fact that there's no perfect non-fatal solution in reality either.
When did they make Postal 3?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I just finished my playthrough of The Sexy Brutale, and boy this game has so many good things going for it. But the only thing I'd count as 'little' and also isn't spoilery is this -

Your goal in the game is to save people stuck in a timeloop through figuring out how they died then changing things up to prevent it from happening, as you'd do. Now, the nice little thing is that as soon as you do whatever it is that saves someone, the game immediately fades to the scene of their survival instead of forcing you to wait the day out and see everything transpire in real time. This both makes it so you don't need to wait patiently every time until they survive, and also you instantly know you did the right thing. Very nice of the game I'd say! Especially when at least one puzzle you can solve very early in the day but the changed event only happens at the end.

The Sexy Brutale is such a good game. I love the music a whole bunch, especially how you can hear every death in the game in the music, no matter what part of the mansion you're in

Makes it a little weird to listen to the OST outside the game, of course

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Postal 3 came out in 2011. It has a lot of social/economic commentary pertaining to 2007-2009, mostly. It feels a bit out of time, but it's got a lot of easter eggs and goofy details I appreciate.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I've been playing Digimon Masters Online with my siblings, and was surprised when I found out you can edit literally any dialogue your Digimon has. You can even associate the dialogue with certain sound files on your computer. That means you can have a perfectly anime accurate Digimon, at least from a personality/sfx standpoint. Or you can replace the sound files with something goofy, I guess, if you want to mess around. It seems like such an odd feature to incorporate, but it's adorable.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Its bad enough that Running With Scissors pulled it for sale in 2012 from their own store.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Barudak posted:

Its bad enough that Running With Scissors pulled it for sale in 2012 from their own store.

I can totally understand why people hate Postal 3, but I'm honestly a bit jealous that Russia got an exclusive collector's edition with a Krotchy doll. I've met a few Russian fans, but I doubt any would be willing to part with theirs or could help me find a place to purchase it. That Krotchy doll is going on my bucket list for sure, though. I'll be a little disappointed if it doesn't come with some plutonium.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pulsarcat posted:

I'm playing a small game called Save Koch, it's a game where you play as a pig man crime boss who's being targeted for a hit, so the gameplay is mostly you sitting in a panic room making phone calls and sending out your agents to do missions in order to figure out who the mastermind behind it is, and who their mole is.

One of the agents I unlocked is a hacker, her description says she never leaves her home, which I assumed was just flavour text.
That is until I sent her to investigate an arson tip, it turned out it was a trap and the building exploded, this would have killed any other agent, but according to the completion message, her being a shut in nerd meant she wasn't there when the bomb went off.

This sounds really good

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, it's really more Allan Quartermaine.

That's a reference I never thought I'd see on SA

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ilmucche posted:

There's also a videogame that takes place in the Allan Quartermain universe, believe it or not.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ilmucche posted:

he's in a superhero comic in fairness

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

There's also a videogame that takes place in the Allan Quartermain universe, believe it or not.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

he's in a superhero comic in fairness

Uhhh, I might've been thinking about Alan Quartermaine, rather than the aforementioned Allan Quartermain, or Allan Quatermain

I'd BBcode some links there, but I can't get them to work.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hell, I LPed it. It's called Deadfall Adventures.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ilmucche posted:

Uhhh, I might've been thinking about Alan Quartermaine, rather than the aforementioned Allan Quartermain, or Allan Quatermain

I'd BBcode some links there, but I can't get them to work.

It happens. Though now I'm wondering if there are any Soap Opera videogames.

Edit: There are, and one of them is a Grey's Anatomy game on the Nintendo DS and Wii.

GamesAreSupernice has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Apr 24, 2019

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What other games have secrets on par with two entire levels hidden behind two false walls from you-know-what?

The first zelda had an entire remixed campaign if you entered a certain name for your save file, and this was not hinted at in the game in any way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Olaf The Stout posted:

The first zelda had an entire remixed campaign if you entered a certain name for your save file, and this was not hinted at in the game in any way.

The second quest is directly available if you beat the game normally -- your savefile is automatically transferred over to it so you start over with the harder dungeons/overworld. I don't think that using the "Zelda" save name to access the second quest directly is clued in-game or in the manual, but on the flipside it's also the kind of thing that's likely to be discovered by someone pretty quickly and then propagated by word of mouth. Which is frankly pretty clever.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The second quest is directly available if you beat the game normally -- your savefile is automatically transferred over to it so you start over with the harder dungeons/overworld. I don't think that using the "Zelda" save name to access the second quest directly is clued in-game or in the manual, but on the flipside it's also the kind of thing that's likely to be discovered by someone pretty quickly and then propagated by word of mouth. Which is frankly pretty clever.

I can't be the only kid who 1. wasn't very creative with file names and 2. thought you played as Zelda

e: oh and 3. thought LoZ was punishingly hard and never beat it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What other games have secrets on par with two entire levels hidden behind two false walls from you-know-what?

Did this ever get spoiled because no I don't know what

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dark souls

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I can't be the only kid who 1. wasn't very creative with file names and 2. thought you played as Zelda

e: oh and 3. thought LoZ was punishingly hard and never beat it

Kind of a dick move for Nintendo to make it so if you name your save after the main character it makes the game harder. They should have made it so naming it after the princess activates the bonus quest.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Len posted:

Did this ever get spoiled because no I don't know what

Spoilers for Dark Souls, which I’ll tag even though I doubt there’s anyone left who would care about this but doesn’t know yet.

In Dark Souls, there are illusory walls, which are walls that look and behave exactly like level geometry except that when you attack them, they permanently disappear. Behind them you tend to find a little room with some treasure, a shortcut, or both.

In the area Blighttown, there are many big trees that you can walk into the hollow of to find a little healing item or upgrade material, as well as to get away from the poisonous muck the ground is covered in. Inside one of these hollows there is an illusory wall which unsurprisingly hides a little alcove with a treasure chest. However, if hit the wall behind that treasure chest you will find that it is a second illusory wall. This one leads to a hallway which is the only access to a fully-fledged area called the Great Hollow, which is the interior of a skyscraper-sized hollow tree trunk which you have to find a safe way down through. If you make it the the bottom of the Great Hollow, you come out at Ash Lake, which is yet another fully fledged area. Ash Lake is considered to be the most beautiful and unique area in Dark Souls, and it contains a unique covenant, a unique tougher version of an earlier mini-boss, and a way to grind for a rare healing item.

But you’d never find it if you didn’t think to check behind the hidden wall, behind the hidden wall, in one of many trees, in an area you want to spend as little time in as possible

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This sounds really good

I'm honestly enjoying the hell out of it.

The main thing about the game is that, other than opening the menu, you can't pause to examine things, time is always passing, which means the game can be extremely hectic.

Like when missions pop up, you have a limited amount of time to do them, and doing a mission can take a lot of time, so you have to pick and chose which ones you try to complete, and which ones you skip.

And the thing is, while most missions open up new storylines and provide clues, a lot don't, there are several missions that are straight up red herrings.

So like you can get a hot tip that there is a group of weirdos gathering in a warehouse, so you send your detective in for a couple hours to spy on them, only to discover it was just a bunch of hipsters watching old arthouse movies.
In the mean time someone was murdered in the streets and you have only a few hours until the cops shut down the crime scene and someone matching the description of an assassin was seen moving through the astroport, and it's only a few hours before their ship arrives.
These are both missions your detective specializes in, but because you had her waste her time at a warehouse you now have to make a choice between the two.
You could send one of your other agents, but chances are they don't have the skill set for them, so there is a good chance they'll fail and a chance that they could even be killed.

And while all that is going on you're constantly sending out your other agents and making and answering phone calls, so like I said, it can get hectic.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

There's something really beautiful about the night-time sky in Digimon Masters. Yeah, nothing "digital" actually looks that way, but it's a powerful aesthetic that strikes a balance somewhere between celestial and mechanical. I can't help but want to see such a sky in person. Though, if that happened, I may be a little more frightened than awe-inspired.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

There's something really beautiful about the night-time sky in Digimon Masters. Yeah, nothing "digital" actually looks that way, but it's a powerful aesthetic that strikes a balance somewhere between celestial and mechanical. I can't help but want to see such a sky in person. Though, if that happened, I may be a little more frightened than awe-inspired.

When I first saw the photo, I thought Retenter had a really goofy cartoon face. I saw the teeth as eyes (with the teeth themselves as the whites and the two gaps as pupils), the chin as a big bulbous nose, and the blue line as a smiling mouth. In fact, I’m finding it hard to not see it that way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Though now I'm wondering if there are any Soap Opera videogames.

I played (and enjoyed) the Desperate Housewives game. As I recall it was sort of Sims-like, but with a plot? Also it was incredibly buggy and I was never able to finish it because it broke.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ariong posted:

When I first saw the photo, I thought Retenter had a really goofy cartoon face. I saw the teeth as eyes (with the teeth themselves as the whites and the two gaps as pupils), the chin as a big bulbous nose, and the blue line as a smiling mouth. In fact, I’m finding it hard to not see it that way.

I really wish I could see it that way. That sounds awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

what the gently caress did they do to MetalGreymon and why the gently caress is he not blue