Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ignis posted:

The one I'm surprised didn't return is Ibuki, he's in Ryusoulger and all

Ibuki, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw7VW6Nf5M8
"The blue oni Rider that fights with a trumpet is...Ibuki!"
"Armor Time! Ibuki!"
"Finish Time! Ongeki Time Break/Burst!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbk7nENHvr0
"Shake everything off! (something) speed Accel Trial!"
"Armor Time! Trial! Trial!" (I guess he's not that far from a Drive Rider...)
"Finish Time! Machine Gun Time Break/Burst!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbk7nENHvr0
"Shake everything off! (something) speed Accel Trial!"
"Armor Time! Trial! Trial!" (I guess he's not that far from a Drive Rider...)
"Finish Time! Machine Gun Time Break/Burst!"
Sounds like "speed wo kiwameta" so something like, "The master of speed" or "the one who mastered speed," perhaps referring to the sweet motocross challenge he had to overcome to use it for whatever reason.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Ignis posted:

Hosokawa's blacklisted for being a general dick, if memory serves, so he was never gonna return. Asumu's actor is retired, and as much as I hate to admit, it'd make no sense story wise if he returned as Hibiki, given how the show ended. drat you Kida.

The one I'm surprised didn't return is Ibuki, he's in Ryusoulger and all

Was Hosokawa a dick? I haven't heard anything about that.

I'm pretty surprised they didn't get Zanki's actor involved. He was in NinNinger not that long ago as Gabi Raizou. Clearly he's not averse to toku. You can even double up and have him come back as Garuru for the Kiva tribute.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I'm pretty surprised they didn't get Zanki's actor involved. He was in NinNinger not that long ago as Gabi Raizou. Clearly he's not averse to toku. You can even double up and have him come back as Garuru for the Kiva tribute.

Zanki has the slight problem of being canonically dead, unfortunately. Awesome character, though, and they could totally write around it in the right circumstance, but it does complicate things.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I can only hope that Yuichi Nakamura also shows up as Zeronos in the Den-O arc, and we get a gag over him playing multiple characters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyroi posted:

I can only hope that Yuichi Nakamura also shows up as Zeronos in the Den-O arc, and we get a gag over him playing multiple characters.

I don’t think there’s going to be a Den-O arc as I believe the Zi-O movie covered him, W and Kuuga (maybe others, I haven’t seen it and am not sure if it’s been subbed yet). I hear Ryotaro’s original actor came back for it though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pyroi posted:

Adding my hope to this. In addition, Yuuto was one of my favorite parts of Den-O.

King of Solomon posted:

Zi-O 31: So Tsukuyomi has had amnesia this whole time and they just never bothered to bring it up. That's an odd choice, curious where they're going with that. Hopefully her Time Jacker reminiscent power leads to a belt instead of just...being able to stop time sometimes.
Yes, the timing is a bit weird but it has left me very intrigued.
It also calls the Time Jackers status even further into question. Was Sougo supposed to be a time jacker as well?

Larryb posted:

I don’t think there’s going to be a Den-O arc as I believe the Zi-O movie covered him, W and Kuuga (maybe others, I haven’t seen it and am not sure if it’s been subbed yet). I hear Ryotaro’s original actor came back for it though.
Oma Zio pointed out that he didn't have the DenO ridewatch yet though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

The main thing here is that Den-O appeared in the film but the Ridewatch did not. Ryotaro just fought and beat Another Den-O himself. It's a similar situation to what happened in Ryuki, we had a Ryuki arc but the situation didn't require the creation of his Ridewatch, thus Shinji had a second time in the spotlight with Rider Time: Ryuki.

We're absolutely getting a Den-O arc, even if it's in an interesting situation where its Another Rider was already shown. We can always get Another Zeronos instead, especially with Yuuichi Nakamura already being in Zi-O as his Hibiki character. If so, I'm entirely sure we'll get Den-O as our next arc after Hibiki.

W and Kuuga don't get the same exception, since both of their Ridewatches were obtained in the movie itself, so there's no reason for them to be used (added to the fact that their actors are impossible to obtain, Masaki Suda is horribly busy and Joe Odagiri's issues with Kamen Rider are well-known). That Den-O was skipped for that makes me sure that Takeru Sato actually had the time to appear in the series itself as well as the movie, as Shinji and Shouichi's actors did.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, that’s good then (I actually like Den-O as a series, it’s just the movies that kind of suck aside from Episode Red).

Speaking of which, has the Zi-O movie actually been subbed by anyone yet?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 22, 2019

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Darth TNT posted:

Adding my hope to this. In addition, Yuuto was one of my favorite parts of Den-O.

Yes, the timing is a bit weird but it has left me very intrigued.
It also calls the Time Jackers status even further into question. Was Sougo supposed to be a time jacker as well?

Oma Zio pointed out that he didn't have the DenO ridewatch yet though.

So 32 cleared things up a little bit. Apparently, Uhr and Hora were given their powers by Schwarz. Tsukuyomi was not. No explanation beyond that, though.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

Ah, that’s good then (I actually like Den-O as a series, it’s just the movies that kind of suck aside from Episode Red).

I also like Episode Yellow, but that's mostly because I'll never pass up an opportunity to watch more Kaito Daiki.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

King of Solomon posted:

So 32 cleared things up a little bit. Apparently, Uhr and Hora were given their powers by Schwarz. Tsukuyomi was not. No explanation beyond that, though.

So does this mean that Schwarz is being built up as the final boss for this series? I guess he does fit the bill: shows up early, does very little for a long time, smugly self-assured, and revealed to be behind the powers of the other biggest threat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Larryb posted:

I can't say anything about our intent at OT, but I can say nobody's doing it until the BD is out.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

gourdcaptain posted:

Zanki has the slight problem of being canonically dead, unfortunately. Awesome character, though, and they could totally write around it in the right circumstance, but it does complicate things.
This hasn't stopped them having Faiz show up in any and everything.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Geostomp posted:

So does this mean that Schwarz is being built up as the final boss for this series? I guess he does fit the bill: shows up early, does very little for a long time, smugly self-assured, and revealed to be behind the powers of the other biggest threat.

Hard to say. Don't forget that he was instrumental in setting up the accident that killed Sougo's parents and basically induced Sougo's obsession with becoming a king.

I wonder, though, if he created Oma Zi-O, wasn't happy with the results, and is trying to do something else this time around.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

King of Solomon posted:

Hard to say. Don't forget that he was instrumental in setting up the accident that killed Sougo's parents and basically induced Sougo's obsession with becoming a king.

I wonder, though, if he created Oma Zi-O, wasn't happy with the results, and is trying to do something else this time around.

I mean, we still have no idea what exactly the Time Jackers' motivations are and know even less about how their powers work. All we know is that they are fully capable of becoming Another Riders on their own, but determined to force other people to do it for them. As far as we can tell, Schwarz still wants Oma Zi-O, but needs to change something to make him more controllable or something. Given that Oma is starting to act on his own, I guess we'll get a confrontation between the two before it ends.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

King of Solomon posted:

A theory I'm entertaining is that Oma Zi-O is the one who wants to change the past due to how lovely the future ends up, and sent Woz as his agent (which gives an explanation for why he betrayed the resistance). Woz just pretends he's trying to maintain the timeline to avoid giving up the plan to the person who originally put Zi-O in power (i.e. Schwarz).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Geostomp posted:

I mean, we still have no idea what exactly the Time Jackers' motivations are and know even less about how their powers work. All we know is that they are fully capable of becoming Another Riders on their own, but determined to force other people to do it for them. As far as we can tell, Schwarz still wants Oma Zi-O, but needs to change something to make him more controllable or something. Given that Oma is starting to act on his own, I guess we'll get a confrontation between the two before it ends.

I guess the protagonists aren't exactly reliable narrators, but didn't they theorize that the Time Jackers were creating Another Riders so they could create an overlord that they control? This was from very early in the series and things may have changed, too.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Zi-O's Agito arc is good as hell and a love letter to the series. drat good. Seeing Shouichi again is wonderful. He put on G3!!! It was great seeing Trinity form again alongside Zi-O Trinity. Very clever. All it needed was Gills and it would have been the perfect homage to Agito. Zi-O is killin it lately. So hard.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

they probably would've liked to have had Gills but iirc the base suit got super water damaged years ago, dunno about his Exceed form suit.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

"I don't care what happens to the suit you loving peon, I will kill you and ever other stunt man in this country before I stop writing 'gills drowns' scenes."

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Larryb posted:

I'm presuming you mean Heisei Generations Forever, which is out in May on home media. The summer Zi-O movie hasn't even been announced yet.

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Was Hosokawa a dick? I haven't heard anything about that.

His former agency terminated his contract, accusing him of power harassment and being problematic in general; he presumably punched a producer or director or somesuch. He sued the agency and they got on legal proceedings; dunno what happened to that. He hasn't done anything since, though he did make a new insta and a blog.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

Can Of Worms posted:

A theory I'm entertaining is that Oma Zi-O is the one who wants to change the past due to how lovely the future ends up, and sent Woz as his agent (which gives an explanation for why he betrayed the resistance). Woz just pretends he's trying to maintain the timeline to avoid giving up the plan to the person who originally put Zi-O in power (i.e. Schwarz).

This is pretty close to the theory I've had. Sougo can be manipulative, and could be a bit of a jerk, but as a means to an end, or for what he sees as the greater good. Over all, he never seems to bring up the "ruling" aspect of being a king, and really just seems to not want to be alone. Even without Geiz and Tsukuyomi's influence, I can't see Sougo intentionally wiping out nearly half of humanity.

In the original timeline, that led to The Day of Oma, Schwarz worked alone, and did not have Uhr or Hora. He used the Another Riders, not as potential kings, but as fodder for Sougo to increase his power, under the guise of a threat only Sougo could defeat. Through preying on Sougo's lonlieness, Schwarz continued to manipulate Sougo until the day came where he would attain the ultimate power of Oma Zi-O, to be the ultimate pawn for Schwarz.

And this is where Schwarz's plan failed. It was too much for Sougo, even at full power, alone. Either he could not handle the power, or he could not stop the threat created by Schwarz that required Oma Zi-O in the first place. Everything from this point on goes downhill, and results in the crapsack future we see. Eventually, long after the point he could have done anything, Oma Zi-O realizes that he was manipulated by Schwarz, and that he is responsible for all of it.

But Schwarz already went back, writing off Sougo as a failure, to find a new pawn.

Oma Zi-O slowly creates a plan. He has already given up on his world, viewing it as disposable, and a means to an end. He wants revenge on Schwarz, but Oma still needs to become king, and he needs to do so without Schwarz.

Around this time, Woz ends up being captured, and Oma still seeing himself as the Ultimate King and master manipulator tries to convert Woz, and comes pretty close. He sells Woz on a plan that assures this ruined future does not happen, leaving a possibly better future, albeit still with Oma Zi-O as it's ruler, and Woz as his faithful Retainer.

Woz isn't an idiot, he knows full well what Oma is capable of, but he does see that even if they managed to defeat him, there's not much of a world left to rebuild. He does sell out the resistance to prove his loyalty to Oma, because if he succeeds, there would never have been a need for a resistance.

He gives Woz the Book, which is not so much the record of events that happened, but the events as Oma Zi-O would rather happen, keeping him in power, but without Schwarz's influence. Instead Woz will go back with the following orders:

1. Guide Sougo on the path outlined in the Book.
2. Do not deviate from the order of events in the Book.
3. Thwart Schwarz.

But Woz's loyalties are not to Oma Zi-O, they are to Sougo, who is sure to become Oma Zi-O, but with a much more intact world. As long as he follows the Book to the letter, even if Sougo doesn't comply.

The biggest hurdles in Oma's plan are Geiz and Tsukuyomi. He never realized the lonlieness he felt in his youth, the very thing Schwarz initially preyed on. Woz noticed it, and tried, but even he couldn't play off of it for long.

Due to Oma not knowing or being able to account for Schwarz's plans, the Time Jackers, the timeline split, and Geiz and Tsukuyomi's thorough befriending of Sougo, the Book is now more of a loose guideline to events, and not the definitive plan it was supposed to be. Oma Zi-O is still in his future under the assumption that all is according to plan, but even Woz has pretty much jumped into Team Sougo at this point, understanding that Sougo could create an even better future, as long as he isn't alone.

Tl;dr Oma Zi-O was completely manipulated by Schwarz, who didn't like the results and decided to try someone else, and Oma wants revenge and does not yet realize that ship has sailed.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

they probably would've liked to have had Gills but iirc the base suit got super water damaged years ago, dunno about his Exceed form suit.

His actor is a known domestic abuser, so that's exceedingly unlikely they planned for Gills.

The Gills Exceed suit is intact, they used it in Decade along with G3-X hilariously blatantly where the base forms would have gone if they'd had the suits for them intact. I guess they built more G3 suits?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Hmm that plays into my theory that Uhr and Hora were on the bus with Sougo that Schwarz attacked

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I haven't seen the latest ep but pretty everything seems to be in the weeds in terms what anyone really wants. We're pretty sure Swartz wants to do Real Bad poo poo but we're not 100% on what exactly that is. We're also sure that Sougo wants to do Real Good poo poo but the way he's going about it is pretty terrifying.

Anyway I finished a couple of odd shows.

Den-Ace which is some weird manga guy's video art project. The entire show is about 30 minutes long busted up into 1.5 minute chapters. Its an experience that mixes sarcasm and surrealism in equal measures.

Shibuya 15, which is an absolute ride. It builds up to this amazing reveal and then brings you down hard. Solid stuff for a super budget toku. The big reveal that the armored chick Ema was actually a hyper violent school girl was absolutely bonkers. Like they kinda lead you into but when you finally see in school girl kit, covered in blood with a K-Bar between her teeth shooting off a stolen police pistol, its overwhelming. Like equal parts corny and pure wtf I highly recommend it.

Finally finished Ultrman Orb Origin Saga. Super confusing ending. Gai wants a universe with no sacrifices and peace and all that but he accomplishes that by blowing up a monster. Its a hadwavey ending that comes off hypocritical It has a weird treatise on free will that drives the supposed villain of the show but the way things end, you kind of feel like the Ultramen are the assholes in all of this. Giant rear end tree, left on earth, loving up Tokyo. Great job guys. The show definitely gives Juggler more depth, but its very sympathetic. They play up Juggler's resentment of Gai, who walks all over Juggler throughout the show.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

gourdcaptain posted:

His actor is a known domestic abuser, so that's exceedingly unlikely they planned for Gills.
:stare:
Well, I certainly didn't know. I feel a lot more justified in enjoying how much the show shits on him.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

"I don't care what happens to the suit you loving peon, I will kill you and ever other stunt man in this country before I stop writing 'gills drowns' scenes."
https://i.imgur.com/LLB6zvB.mp4

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 23, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

It really needs to fade out at him going down the river and then fade into the beginning of Skyrim.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Thank you so much for this.

Also, holy poo poo, is someone on the Zi-O staff either an Agito producer or just a massive Agito fan? Because 31/32 were stupid good, both as Zi-O episodes and an Agito tribute. Shouichi was perfect and the way they tied his story to Tsukuyomi's new thing was great. And then that fight at the end? You could told me this was the Zi-O summer movie and I'dve believed you and been happy for it since it didn't have a big CGI monstrosity like those usually do.

EDIT: Dang, gotta come back to give some props to Ryusoulger 6 too, hot drat that was a good one. It was right around when I was thinking, "This is good, but it's not Patren #1's Poison Scene good," and then Koh did That. A bit sad to see TankJoh go since he had some great bits with Kreon, but hopefully the next guy can keep the routine going. Kreon is very fun to watch and I like their dialogue a lot.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 23, 2019

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Thank you so much for this.

Also, holy poo poo, is someone on the Zi-O staff either an Agito producer or just a massive Agito fan?

Precisely. Shirakura, the producer on Zi-O's first Rider series he produced was Agito.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

gourdcaptain posted:

Precisely. Shirakura, the producer on Zi-O's first Rider series he produced was Agito.
Ohh the same guy from HibikiChat a page or so back, huh? That's kind of a shame that he's the guy that supposedly ruined Hibiki (I've never seen it) but as an Agito fan I could not be more pleased.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/sometimes-the-best-superhero-crossovers-are-the-simples-1834154662

Here's a real good Gizmodo article about Strongest Battle.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Ryusoulger 6: This still feels like a paint by numbers Sentai. The characters are all still pretty one dimensional, ditto for the villains and the mech is a CGI clusterfuck that leaves a bunch of parts out for the combination. The live action mech footage from the first couple of episodes seems like the exception rather than the rule.

Que Disappointing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tragedienne posted:

This is pretty close to the theory I've had. Sougo can be manipulative, and could be a bit of a jerk, but as a means to an end, or for what he sees as the greater good. Over all, he never seems to bring up the "ruling" aspect of being a king, and really just seems to not want to be alone. Even without Geiz and Tsukuyomi's influence, I can't see Sougo intentionally wiping out nearly half of humanity.

In the original timeline, that led to The Day of Oma, Schwarz worked alone, and did not have Uhr or Hora. He used the Another Riders, not as potential kings, but as fodder for Sougo to increase his power, under the guise of a threat only Sougo could defeat. Through preying on Sougo's lonlieness, Schwarz continued to manipulate Sougo until the day came where he would attain the ultimate power of Oma Zi-O, to be the ultimate pawn for Schwarz.

And this is where Schwarz's plan failed. It was too much for Sougo, even at full power, alone. Either he could not handle the power, or he could not stop the threat created by Schwarz that required Oma Zi-O in the first place. Everything from this point on goes downhill, and results in the crapsack future we see. Eventually, long after the point he could have done anything, Oma Zi-O realizes that he was manipulated by Schwarz, and that he is responsible for all of it.

But Schwarz already went back, writing off Sougo as a failure, to find a new pawn.

Oma Zi-O slowly creates a plan. He has already given up on his world, viewing it as disposable, and a means to an end. He wants revenge on Schwarz, but Oma still needs to become king, and he needs to do so without Schwarz.

Around this time, Woz ends up being captured, and Oma still seeing himself as the Ultimate King and master manipulator tries to convert Woz, and comes pretty close. He sells Woz on a plan that assures this ruined future does not happen, leaving a possibly better future, albeit still with Oma Zi-O as it's ruler, and Woz as his faithful Retainer.

Woz isn't an idiot, he knows full well what Oma is capable of, but he does see that even if they managed to defeat him, there's not much of a world left to rebuild. He does sell out the resistance to prove his loyalty to Oma, because if he succeeds, there would never have been a need for a resistance.

He gives Woz the Book, which is not so much the record of events that happened, but the events as Oma Zi-O would rather happen, keeping him in power, but without Schwarz's influence. Instead Woz will go back with the following orders:

1. Guide Sougo on the path outlined in the Book.
2. Do not deviate from the order of events in the Book.
3. Thwart Schwarz.

But Woz's loyalties are not to Oma Zi-O, they are to Sougo, who is sure to become Oma Zi-O, but with a much more intact world. As long as he follows the Book to the letter, even if Sougo doesn't comply.

The biggest hurdles in Oma's plan are Geiz and Tsukuyomi. He never realized the lonlieness he felt in his youth, the very thing Schwarz initially preyed on. Woz noticed it, and tried, but even he couldn't play off of it for long.

Due to Oma not knowing or being able to account for Schwarz's plans, the Time Jackers, the timeline split, and Geiz and Tsukuyomi's thorough befriending of Sougo, the Book is now more of a loose guideline to events, and not the definitive plan it was supposed to be. Oma Zi-O is still in his future under the assumption that all is according to plan, but even Woz has pretty much jumped into Team Sougo at this point, understanding that Sougo could create an even better future, as long as he isn't alone.

Tl;dr Oma Zi-O was completely manipulated by Schwarz, who didn't like the results and decided to try someone else, and Oma wants revenge and does not yet realize that ship has sailed.

This is what I'm thinking as well.

Man, if you would've asked me 20 eps ago if we'd be guessing about where the story was headed I'd have told you you were crazy. It's pretty amazing how much Zio has improved compared to the first 15ish episodes.

Current tribute episodes have also been excellent.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

Ryusoulger 6: This still feels like a paint by numbers Sentai. The characters are all still pretty one dimensional, ditto for the villains and the mech is a CGI clusterfuck that leaves a bunch of parts out for the combination. The live action mech footage from the first couple of episodes seems like the exception rather than the rule.

Que Disappointing.
I do agree that it's been very standard but that's not a bad thing for me. It's not breaking any new ground, but it's fun to watch. Koh's getting a little development through his flashbacks and Towa and Banba are getting a bit of development (which is for the best, can't have the heroes keep trying to solve problems with murder) but yeah, Melt and Asuna have done nothing outside of their stock roles yet. It's weird to say it but they need their standard Sentai focus episodes to get some screentime finally, let's get Melt interning at a restaurant and Asuna faking a wedding already.

The villains I like a ton though. Kreon is really funny, a little funnier in the Japanese but I think O-T has done a great job at conveying what a goof he is, and TankJoh was a lot of fun, it was a shame to see him go. No comments on mecha, no complaints either but honestly the robots have never been a big deal for me. If it's cool it's cool, if not I just don't care and just see it as an extra commercial at the end of each ep.

I do feel that it has a bit of an old-school vibe though? Compared to recent Sentai, it is very different structurally. They aren't looking for their collectable gimmicks, they already have them. They don't have a set goal, they're just there to protect the earth. And the villains haven't even shown us the big bad yet, we've only seen Kreon and one apparently expendable general. I feel like all of that could either be a bad thing and the series lists aimlessly for a year or a good thing since it means the show has a lot of room to grow since we know so little as is. Personally, I'm hopeful. I mean, I'm easy to please, I have liked every toku show I've ever watched except for Ninninger and Ghost, but I'm still hopeful.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
While Tankjoh and the Pawn mooks were hinting at a chess theme for the villains, the preview basically confirmed that they're going with chess themed Generals (except for Kreon strangely) with the big boss(es) presumably being the King and/or Queen. Depending on what the next episode shows, it's possible that each General basically comprises an arc of the series with Tankjoh representing the opening/introduction arc. The Bishop general and Knight General will likely contain the most of the character development and interaction eps

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like Kreon not fitting with the chess motif and being how they make every monster means he's probably stepping up as the villain eventually.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

coconono posted:

Finally finished Ultrman Orb Origin Saga. Super confusing ending. Gai wants a universe with no sacrifices and peace and all that but he accomplishes that by blowing up a monster.

Orb Origin seemed more to me like a vanity series cobbled together without too much thought. Dr. Psychii was good as an obviously Loki-like villain, but I thought it was a little too much "Let's not make the villain all bad" kind of deal along with 'let's save on budget by recycling the kaiju over and over until people get sick.' R/B is definitely guilty of that. The guest stars could have been any old Ultra, but it was good to see Gaia and Agul again.

quote:

Its a hadwavey ending that comes off hypocritical It has a weird treatise on free will that drives the supposed villain of the show but the way things end, you kind of feel like the Ultramen are the assholes in all of this. Giant rear end tree, left on earth, loving up Tokyo. Great job guys. The show definitely gives Juggler more depth, but its very sympathetic. They play up Juggler's resentment of Gai, who walks all over Juggler throughout the show.

Why do all four Ultras have to fly off together at the end? This is Gaia and Agul's native universe, where the gently caress are they going?

Cosmos and Dyna are probably headed for the nearest cosmic subway to another universe. This unspoken ability of theirs to travel to any universe in the multiverse whenever they please is starting to get irritating just from Tsuburaya's absolute refusal to do anything other than visit other universes with Ultramen in them.

They only went to a universe where Ultramen were fiction once (in the Tiga Dyna Gaia movie) and literally did nothing but fanservice.

About the only good things in Origin Saga included Fujimiya looking at Juggler and doing the 'I was once like you' great sage bit and Gamu doing his 'lemme use my gadgets to help you' bit.

If they were going to play up the past history with Gai and Juggler, they should have given hints about what happened to Gaia and Agul, since it's obvious a great amount of time seems to have passed since the events of their series, why not give us a continued story? They could have CGI'ed up a new Aerial Base if it was so important to them. Is Fujimiya's girlfriend still working at KCB? What the hell is Gamu doing, working for XIG still? Does Fujimiya do anything except randomly show up all over the world in a Target black overcoat and criticize people? Literally none of that is covered and it's a great crime that they didn't. Nope, all the money went into weird costumes for the guest stars and dusting off two old kaiju suits. Sigh.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Binary Badger posted:

Orb Origin seemed more to me like a vanity series cobbled together without too much thought. Dr. Psychii was good as an obviously Loki-like villain, but I thought it was a little too much "Let's not make the villain all bad" kind of deal along with 'let's save on budget by recycling the kaiju over and over until people get sick.' R/B is definitely guilty of that. The guest stars could have been any old Ultra, but it was good to see Gaia and Agul again.

Why do all four Ultras have to fly off together at the end? This is Gaia and Agul's native universe, where the gently caress are they going?

Cosmos and Dyna are probably headed for the nearest cosmic subway to another universe. This unspoken ability of theirs to travel to any universe in the multiverse whenever they please is starting to get irritating just from Tsuburaya's absolute refusal to do anything other than visit other universes with Ultramen in them.

They only went to a universe where Ultramen were fiction once (in the Tiga Dyna Gaia movie) and literally did nothing but fanservice.

About the only good things in Origin Saga included Fujimiya looking at Juggler and doing the 'I was once like you' great sage bit and Gamu doing his 'lemme use my gadgets to help you' bit.

If they were going to play up the past history with Gai and Juggler, they should have given hints about what happened to Gaia and Agul, since it's obvious a great amount of time seems to have passed since the events of their series, why not give us a continued story? They could have CGI'ed up a new Aerial Base if it was so important to them. Is Fujimiya's girlfriend still working at KCB? What the hell is Gamu doing, working for XIG still? Does Fujimiya do anything except randomly show up all over the world in a Target black overcoat and criticize people? Literally none of that is covered and it's a great crime that they didn't. Nope, all the money went into weird costumes for the guest stars and dusting off two old kaiju suits. Sigh.

yeah, throwing in the other ultras didn't feel fleshed out. At least with Dyna you got a sweet dual transformation pose alongside Orb. Cosmos I'm guessing Cosmos is a pacifist(I haven't watched his Ultra shows) because he sits on his rear end during a critical battle. The other Ultras all do things that makes you wtf.

The recycled monsters made sense because it was the prison planet for naughty monsters(which is the same place IIRC that Belial finds his staff o' universal doom).

And multiversity and ultraman stuff is kinda cool to think about but they really don't do anything with it. Its a handwavery thing they do to explain why things are the way they are don't think about it too hard, enjoy the wetsuit guy kobashi chopping the rubbersuited guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It seems this day's colour is...red!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7AarLLyaeA
"Become one with all the Imagins! Let's go go go! Den-O Liner Form!" (the description is Climax's, Den-O's real strongest form is Climax...and yet, this is Liner...)
"Armor Time! Gather the Imagin! Den-O Liner! Liner Form!"
"Finish Time! Den-O! Train Time Break/Burst!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x268IcEl8BY
"Cross over time with super speed! Flap your rainbow wings! Kabuto Hyper Form!"
"Armor Time! Flap your wings, super speed! Hyper Kabuto! Hyper Beetle!" (no Change?)
"Finish Time! Kabuto! Hyper Clock Time Break/Burst!"