Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Anyone in the US want to buy a Stalwart?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TDLqSiu9AE

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/76/1608/british-alvis-fv622-mk2-stalwart-amphibious-vehicle

The auction estimate is $6-9k, which sounds really quite reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

dpack_1 posted:

Right thread?

The best summer vacation campground hopper ever!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Hope these guys have another xj220 laying around to test their ecu cable because the laptop i set them up with for the last one has a good serial port still and its not reading the ecu.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

couldn't they just find a rover metro to test it with :haw:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Don Lapre posted:

Hope these guys have another xj220 laying around to test their ecu cable because the laptop i set them up with for the last one has a good serial port still and its not reading the ecu.

thats terrible car stuff :smithfrog:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Mobil 1 came out in '74. Depending on when the car was raced, it's plausible.

Then no, the Daytona and Superbird were produced for only one year (1970) and NASCAR banned them shortly after that so the promo thing sounds correct, what a waste of a rare car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Then no, the Daytona and Superbird were produced for only one year (1970) and NASCAR banned them shortly after that so the promo thing sounds correct, what a waste of a rare car.

Remember in the 70s, "collector cars" weren't really a thing. People pulled the nose cones and wings off of daytonas so they could drive them in regular traffic without overheating. up until the late 90s, daytonas weren't worth poo poo, dudes let them rot in their back yards with trees growing through them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's also possible it was raced in something other than NASCAR. It's a car show in NZ, so who knows. The promo thing sounds pretty logical, though.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Powershift posted:

Remember in the 70s, "collector cars" weren't really a thing. People pulled the nose cones and wings off of daytonas so they could drive them in regular traffic without overheating. up until the late 90s, daytonas weren't worth poo poo, dudes let them rot in their back yards with trees growing through them.

Yep, then boomers got old and started to covet the symbols of their childhood and 60s-70s cars have ballooned in value.

Hell, I remember reading people used to put black tape over the split in the rear windows of 63 Corvettes because they looked "older."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just keep in mind we are hurtling towards a decade where late 90's shitboxes will be classics. The 90's had a lot of cool cars but they've always been cool. The trash we all disregarded though? Kids are gonna have fond memories of whatever their dad owned and will want one of their own.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
While some crap cars just are crap, they can still represent an interesting snapshot of the period, plus it's the generic, fairly mundane stuff that quietly vanishes without anyone realising, and before you know it, it's quite special to actually see one in good, standard condition.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xzzy posted:

Just keep in mind we are hurtling towards a decade where late 90's shitboxes will be classics. The 90's had a lot of cool cars but they've always been cool. The trash we all disregarded though? Kids are gonna have fond memories of whatever their dad owned and will want one of their own.

This very forums’ obsession with trash 80’s shitboxes is baffling to me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrYenko posted:

You just don't get, it, grampa. Go back to your 56k modems and candles

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh thank God someone else is cognizant of this. Nostalgia is poison.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrYenko posted:

Safety, emissions, and insurance regulations, as well as rising gas prices, have absolutely sucked the soul out of modern cars. Have you ever driven a car from the 70s? Transitioning from a rear-wheel drive V8 to a FWD 4cylinder feels like being neutered.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fakeaccount posted:

Safety, emissions, and insurance regulations, as well as rising gas prices, have absolutely sucked the soul out of modern cars. Have you ever driven a car from the 70s? Transitioning from a rear-wheel drive V8 to a FWD 4cylinder feels like being neutered.

you're driving the wrong fwd 4 cylinder cars then

But yes, most modern cars are soul-less.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

Stock up on your K cars now, people!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

BlackMK4 posted:

you're driving the wrong fwd 4 cylinder cars then

But yes, most modern cars are soul-less.

THey will soon all become rental cars and taxis. Most already are.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrYenko posted:

which ones, be specific

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MrYenko posted:

You and me both.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

which ones, be specific

And be very careful

Anybody talking poo poo about the AMC eagle will have an enemy for life.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I always think "oh this [insert 80s subcompact hatch here] would be cool if I could [insert list of changes that would end up making it a completely different car]".

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

which ones, be specific

Presumably, this kind of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF2lRNqd-LI

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My dad sold that car in 2003 in running condition for $50. He got a Saturn SL2. He doesn't make the best car choices. He then bought a Saturn L200 and later a Relay. I finally broke his BUY AMERICAN mantra with a 2013 Legacy by saying a good bit was built in Indiana.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BraveUlysses posted:

which ones, be specific

80s Celicas are probably the most baffling for me. Pretty much anything with a Honda badge on it before (or after, [gently caress me the new NSX is a disappointment] for that matter) the NSX or the S2000. Any Toyota that isn’t a turbo Supra or MR2. Basically any Mazda road car ever built. Corvettes until the C4 ZR1 and LT1 C4s. Camaros generally from 1974-1992.

This threads especial addiction to 80s digital dashes, which were HORRENDOUS even at the time, and have only aged poorly, though I do grok the retro appeal now.

I’m not criticizing those that enjoy anything in there; Some people juggle geese. Just pointing out that no opinion is universal, ESPECIALLY about cars. gently caress, I want to build a deuce and a half with a Rolls Royce V-12.

It’s ALL awesome car poo poo. Doesn’t mean I loving get it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think all that 80s "everything is lasers and synth now" design fits into the insanity part of AI, but I agree it's all awful if you had to actually use it.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Pretty much anything with a Honda badge on it before (or after, [gently caress me the new NSX is a disappointment] for that matter) the NSX or the S2000.

3rd gen Prelude Si is loving rad I will fight you

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MrYenko posted:

This threads especial addiction to 80s digital dashes, which were HORRENDOUS even at the time, and have only aged poorly, though I do grok the retro appeal now.

:colbert:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MrYenko posted:

80s Celicas are probably the most baffling for me. Pretty much anything with a Honda badge on it before (or after, [gently caress me the new NSX is a disappointment] for that matter) the NSX or the S2000. Any Toyota that isn’t a turbo Supra or MR2. Basically any Mazda road car ever built. Corvettes until the C4 ZR1 and LT1 C4s. Camaros generally from 1974-1992.

I’m not criticizing those that enjoy anything in there; Some people juggle geese. Just pointing out that no opinion is universal, ESPECIALLY about cars. gently caress, I want to build a deuce and a half with a Rolls Royce V-12.

Enemy level: 100%

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Hard

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MrYenko posted:

I don't understand how you can be so wrong.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Cars get better as we move forward. I'm not all that old so 60s 70s and 80s stuff isn't all that familiar with me, but someone who is can complain about the poo poo we just forgot we had to do. Sure there is garbage sold right now just as there was during your favorite decade. Starting a carbureted car on a cold day, leaded gas, manual windows and locks, optional A/C, garbage safety like lap belts and no head restraints, cabin based crumple zones, terrible mileage, rust, bias ply tires, drum brakes all around, pleather interiors, monocolor dash, being scary as poo poo over 80 mph, the list goes on and on and on. Cars kick rear end now more than they ever have.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

um excuse me posted:

Cars get better as we move forward. I'm not all that old so 60s 70s and 80s stuff isn't all that familiar with me, but someone who is can complain about the poo poo we just forgot we had to do. Sure there is garbage sold right now just as there was during your favorite decade. Starting a carbureted car on a cold day, leaded gas, manual windows and locks, optional A/C, garbage safety like lap belts and no head restraints, cabin based crumple zones, terrible mileage, rust, bias ply tires, pleather interiors, monocolor dash, being scary as poo poo over 80 mph, the list goes on and on and on. Cars kick rear end now more than they ever have.

Yes but you can't be objective about this because as soon as you do how can you deny that we should all not be driving around in white hybrid electric vans? Because emotion is a part of it. So, if you can go "Well I don't want the best car for me in a practical and logical sense, I want one that excites me in some sort of emotional way" then it's easier to see why someone would like something that is objectively worse than something new because it is on the same line. A brand new GTI doesn't excite me as much as that mint condition Omni does because there is nothing special about a new GTI. In the same vein people are buying Focus RS's even though they are probably worse than a GTI to live with but it ~doesn't matter~ because emotion. Likewise I don't want either and would rather bumb around in some weirdo JDM diesel Land Cruiser because there is something there that makes me smile.

Emotion is the intrinsic not-definable thing that everyone chases. Car companies try to manufacture a lifestyle for certain things (like Harley or Jeep) to somehow capture something like that but it's also just there for some things.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You can get all of that subjective emotion now. There are all sort of cars that can do things better than the cars they replaced in almost every single way. Engines have gotten more powerful, brakes have gotten stronger, tires have mountains of traction, suspension has gotten very advanced from track to pure comfort to tackling the toughest terrain. You can basically buy a car that makes you feel however you want dramatically better than any car did back then. Don't mistake nostalgia for a past that wasn't all that great.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

um excuse me posted:

You can get all of that subjective emotion now. There are all sort of cars that can do things better than the cars they replaced in almost every single way. Engines have gotten more powerful, brakes have gotten stronger, tires have mountains of traction, suspension has gotten very advanced from track to pure comfort to tackling the toughest terrain. You can basically buy a car that makes you feel however you want dramatically better than any car did back then. Don't mistake nostalgia for a past that wasn't all that great.

You kinda nailed my problem with it though, the chassis limits are so high that they are basically inaccessible without being in arrest me territory. No real drama behind it.

Yeah, the new cars are better in basically every metric but there is something they are missing with respect to communication. I mean, maybe that makes me a dumb luddite, I dunno.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

um excuse me posted:

You can get all of that subjective emotion now. There are all sort of cars that can do things better than the cars they replaced in almost every single way. Engines have gotten more powerful, brakes have gotten stronger, tires have mountains of traction, suspension has gotten very advanced from track to pure comfort. You can basically buy a car that makes you feel however you want dramatically better than any car did back then. Don't mistake nostalgia for a past that wasn't all that great.

:confused:

You are missing my point though. The cars being exactly as worse as they are is a part of the charm. Pop up headlights do it for some people, digital dashboards, cloth seats, a flat slab of steel without creases in it. You're saying that subjective emotion is only defined by on-paper performance and I'm trying to explain it isn't. You can not buy a pop-up headlight mid-engine manual transmission Pontiac anymore.

New cars are better, they are safer, faster, more efficient, etc etc. They are (in my subjective eyes) fat, ugly, heavy, and more complicated than they need to be. They don't feel like I want them to feel, they are segmented in a bunch of trim packages I don't like and I think car companies of today don't have nearly as much raw joy in them as they might have had before. I'm on the opposite end of where you are, with you going "new cars are obviously better" and me on the other hand going "modern cars are obviously uglier and not as stylish".

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BlackMK4 posted:

You kinda nailed my problem with it though, the chassis limits are so high that they are basically inaccessible without being in arrest me territory. No real drama behind it.

Yeah, the new cars are better in basically every metric but there is something they are missing with respect to communication. I mean, maybe that makes me a dumb luddite, I dunno.

What like steering feel, pedal feel, the fact that 3% of all new cars are manual? I totally get it, but there are still cars made that do all of that. The real problem is that companies take advantage of people who prioritize those feelings while driving by selling cars that are too expensive because car companies forgot what a loss leader is. This is why the Miata is a hero and why they have a cult following. They're cheaper than the average car but drive like a dream.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

um excuse me posted:

What like steering feel, pedal feel, the fact that 3% of all new cars are manual? I totally get it, but there are still cars made that do all of that. The real problem is that companies take advantage of people who prioritize those feeling while driving by selling cars that are too expensive because car companies forgot what loss leader is. This is why the Miata is a hero and why they have a cult following. They're cheaper than the average car but drive like a dream.

The ND Miata is something really special, you have me on that one. There aren't many others like it though, take what the M3 has become as an example of the complaint.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

old cars don't even have twitter on the HVAC controls

what garbage

e: what other things do you like, so i can put it into context for you?

A modern digital timex is more technically proficient, reliable, and capable than an old watch, but people still love the Rolex Daytona.

Modern movies are more technically proficient than older ones, but the formula has been nailed down so hard, you can easily get fatigued trying to watch more than a few.

Modern music mastering means music is almost perfect, from a technical standpoint, but old single mic jam sessions still have more character, and interest me far more.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I get the joke but some cars offer this. If Twitter is a priority to you then a car with it built in is a better car than one without. Does it make the car better? Who's to say. For that person it is. Its an option older cars simply do not have. Flippy lights are a point of contention so I'll probably be hanged for saying they're just about as necessary to raise a point.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 23, 2019