Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kazuo Koike, manga writer and co-creator of Lone Wolf and Cub, has died. Lone Wolf and Cub probably had nearly as much influence on superhero comics as Watchmen, via Frank Miller and other creators the work inspired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lurdiak posted:

Kazuo Koike, manga writer and co-creator of Lone Wolf and Cub, has died. Lone Wolf and Cub probably had nearly as much influence on superhero comics as Watchmen, via Frank Miller and other creators the work inspired.

Monkey Punch (the creator of Lupin III) also passed away a few days ago. It's been a bad month in the world of manga. :(

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
One of my friends in high school picked up 30+ of the First editions of Lone Wolf and Cub at a flea market in rural Prince Edward Island (which I later inherited [the books, not the province]), they were a big part of my comics youth. Talk about an atom bomb of a book to drop on a couple of teenage brains.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Open Marriage Night posted:

I should be getting my Gotham City Chronicles board game, I backed on Kickstarter a year ago, tomorrow. My friends and I will be unboxing it sometime this weekend if anyone is interested in pictures.

In June they’ll be doing another Kickstarter for some new add ons, and the original game + add ons for anyone that missed the first go round.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/batmantm-gotham-city-chronicles

My brother got that game! I've only played it once so far but it was really fun. I played as Bane against the good guys and in classic comic book fashion was stomped at the last second.

My friend painted these two afterwards.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Those look great! Got my game in, but I have to wait until Sunday to open it. Boxes look good though!

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 19, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay i just finished the discovery finale and im placing the blame on you rhyno, you jerk

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You know it's "strange" how I can't report mods for misgendering me while making snide comments

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

You know it's "strange" how I can't report mods for misgendering me while making snide comments

That sucks, sorry.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chip learned about steampunk, I guess.

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1119427682255527936

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You missed pt 2

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1119437921491140609?s=19

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't *post* it, but I didn't miss it, either.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I stopped watching the show a long time ago, did Agents of SHIELD ever reference the thing from Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with the big alien blob trying to eat the earth?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I stopped watching the show a long time ago, did Agents of SHIELD ever reference the thing from Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with the big alien blob trying to eat the earth?

Speaking of which, the last thing I thought I'd ever see in the MCU was a plot point from Maximum Security.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m reading the Fourth World omnibus right now. I’ve read New Gods, Forever People and most of Mister Miracle but never much of Jimmy Olsen and never as a whole project. I wanted to get a sense of what Kirby was doing while he was away from Marvel, before he comes back. I may do the same for Ditko at some point.

Now, you know I love me some Kirby art but the writing... I have to take breaks with this, every character talks like they’re screaming and they all have the same voice. There’s something to be said for the crazy ideas he had, but I wish there had been someone to help him with the dialogue.

But that said, and speaking of crazy ideas, replica jimmy olsens? Yes please more of this nonsense. I like that he had to ground at least one of his books in the actual DC universe and not just situate it in his own little playground invented entirely by him.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

I’m reading the Fourth World omnibus right now. I’ve read New Gods, Forever People and most of Mister Miracle but never much of Jimmy Olsen and never as a whole project. I wanted to get a sense of what Kirby was doing while he was away from Marvel, before he comes back. I may do the same for Ditko at some point.

Really don't bother with Ditko. Shade the Changing Man is probably his best DC work and visually it's kind of warmed over Dr. Strange.

If you're reading interregnum Kirby, be sure to check out The Demon (Klarion the Witch Boy is amazing) and Kamandi which is a cue to post the map:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

Really don't bother with Ditko. Shade the Changing Man is probably his best DC work and visually it's kind of warmed over Dr. Strange.

If you're reading interregnum Kirby, be sure to check out The Demon (Klarion the Witch Boy is amazing) and Kamandi which is a cue to post the map:

The best thing about that map is how many awesome band names are contained in it if any future band wants an awesome name

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

The best thing about that map is how many awesome band names are contained in it if any future band wants an awesome name

I remember the first time someone posted that map here, someone pointed out how great Kangarat Murder Society would be as a band name (hell, it might have been you), and I still think it's the best of the bunch.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I’ve read a huge chunk of Kamandi before. I read it to my kid, and both of us really liked it. May finish it off.

I’ve got to read the Demon though. I almost picked it up last week but didn’t want to carry a book home. May need to correct that.

Meanwhile in Marvel world I’ve reached It! The Living Colossus. Ugh. Kirby writing may not be great but it’s still a million times better than this.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I've always wanted to run a roleplaying game set in the world of Kamandi. Just let everyone play Kangarats and Mao-Tse Tigers instead of Elves and Orcs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

But that said, and speaking of crazy ideas, replica jimmy olsens? Yes please more of this nonsense.

Did you get to the miniaturized planet that's home to vampires and werewolves because an evil scientist projected monster movies onto it's clouds yet?

Jimmy Olson is the secret best Fourth World book.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jimmy Olson is the secret best Fourth World book.

I have a TPB of Jimmy Olsen stories where he gets transformed, mutated and generally transmogrified into different creatures and I'm thinking that Jimmy Olsen was the secret best DC book of that era.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Jordan7hm posted:

Now, you know I love me some Kirby art but the writing... I have to take breaks with this, every character talks like they’re screaming and they all have the same voice. There’s something to be said for the crazy ideas he had, but I wish there had been someone to help him with the dialogue.

I like his writing but even if you don't... Nah, that would have just resulted in something like when John Byrne scripted Seed of Destruction for Mike Mignola. SoD is a good comic but the script is soulless and atrocious, and that's not all down to Byrne being a bad writer. Which he is, especially post Man of Steel

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 22, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Esplanade posted:

I've always wanted to run a roleplaying game set in the world of Kamandi. Just let everyone play Kangarats and Mao-Tse Tigers instead of Elves and Orcs.

Making a Roll20 or Mutants and Masterminds or whatever conversion would be easy enough, but a true kirby-ite would implement weird poo poo from the setting into the mechanics, like nuke worshipping as a cleric class.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm glad coh is coming back because a superhero RPG is definitely what I needed in my life

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

site posted:

I'm glad coh is coming back
What's this now?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

What's this now?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887255

I've made like a dozen new characters already. Test server is going to be wiped, so make sure to save your costumes. Real server set to launch sometime on the 27th

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

CapnAndy posted:

What's this now?

Dudes have had a private server that was partly-composed of the game's source for years. It got blown up this past week and as a result of being thrown into the light, they're spreading the code around so a single C&D can't kill the thing forever now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This post should set you up, but right now the server is offline so you probably will have to wait till it's back up to dl all the files and stuff. Also there's gonna be a full wipe on the 27th when they move to a "live" server. Also watch out the Nazis are infiltrating the discord

The Bold Kobold posted:

1. Download and run this: http://patch.savecoh.com/tequila.exe
2. Make a forum account here: https://score.savecoh.com/index.php
3. Click the login button next to Search and Register instead of logging in from the one on the top left, otherwise you don't actually log in for some reason.
4. Make your game account here: https://score.savecoh.com/account/ . If you're not logged in when you try it's probably because of the above problem.
5. Start up SCORE via Tequila and let it download everything, then log in using the game account info you made in the above step.
6. Hope the server feels nice during that moment since they're constantly working on it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

This post should set you up, but right now the server is offline so you probably will have to wait till it's back up to dl all the files and stuff. Also there's gonna be a full wipe on the 27th when they move to a "live" server. Also watch out the Nazis are infiltrating the discord

I hope they like Peter Tape, my Water/Pain corrupter who is a blond man ina red cap and brown suit that shoots yellow liquid

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vincent posted:

I have a TPB of Jimmy Olsen stories where he gets transformed, mutated and generally transmogrified into different creatures and I'm thinking that Jimmy Olsen was the secret best DC book of that era.

I love the Showcase Presents Superman Family series because you get your Jimmy and then once it starts up you also get your Lois.

Soonmot posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887255

I've made like a dozen new characters already. Test server is going to be wiped, so make sure to save your costumes. Real server set to launch sometime on the 27th

On the one hand, I have two projects, four exams, and homework for the next two weeks.

On the other, I technically only have to pass one of these classes to graduate and it's CoH!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

aaaaaaaaaaaaand NCSoft shut down the private server

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alaois posted:

Fine. I guess I'll finish my degree and by then the goon private server should be up.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I sure love copyright being held up despite having no plans what so ever to do anything with it until the end of time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Roth posted:

I sure love copyright being held up despite having no plans what so ever to do anything with it until the end of time.

Incidentally, have you seen the new Captain Marvel movie? :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Actually apparently NCSoft didn't do anything, the people running the actual physical server just freaked out over the thought of legal action and pulled the plug

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alaois posted:

What else did the people who leaked it think was going to happen.

The hilarious part is that NCSoft probably only heard about it because someone who was angry they were "denied" the game all these years due to the server being secret contacted them out of spite.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

quote:

Innocuous/Glory to Arachnos I dag kl. 23:52
As of now, we are running on the assumption that there is no DMCA. We have a drive that we are currently verifying on if it's the server binaries. As it stands, it has everything.
There has been some fuckups that lead to mass server panic, and an emergency administration and codemod meeting has been called.
We may very well be able to salvage this situation before the next sunset. No promises. Do not hold this against me.
We have a gameplan. It depends on verifying this code right now. Once it is achieved, we are pushing to get a server back up immediately.
The original goal of the server has been to get a stable i24 for distribution and by the Well of the Furies we will get it. This chaos was unprofessional on my part (partly from my inexperience), and triggers were being pulled before we even had the horses at the races.
We will also be futureproofing future development to make sure this kind of clusterfuck will never happen again.
Also, allow me to be blunt and address this once and for all. FOR FUCKS SAKE, STOP HOPPING LEANDRO'S DICK THE MOMENT ANYTHING HAPPENS. MYSELF INCLUDED.

lmao this poo poo is amazing

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alaois posted:

Actually apparently NCSoft didn't do anything, the people running the actual physical server just freaked out over the thought of legal action and pulled the plug

If you have a sturdy enough funnel, you can get that genie back in that bottle.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, who's a good comic book YouTuber to watch? Currently, I watch Comicpop, Professor Thorgi, and a few others occasionally (Comic Drake, Aurum's Corner, Comics Explained, Linkara).

I'm just looking for a chill guy or girl who makes comics related entertainment because hobby.

No chuds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Covok posted:

So, who's a good comic book YouTuber to watch? Currently, I watch Comicpop, Professor Thorgi, and a few others occasionally (Comic Drake, Aurum's Corner, Comics Explained, Linkara).

I'm just looking for a chill guy or girl who makes comics related entertainment because hobby.

No chuds.

ComicTropes is pretty good, and I've already recommended Ed Piskor and Jim Rugg's Cartoonist Kayfabe channel in the past