Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

blast0rama posted:

I guess this goes here...

DC Universe started its drop of the comic catalog this week, and we’re now set through 2005.

I’m reading Jack Kirby’s New Gods for the first time (after falling in love with King’s Mister Miracle earlier this year), and holy poo poo it rules. It’s completely over the top comic greatness. I’m surprised that it flopped when it first came out.

Do they have the Jimmy Olsen comics it started in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Skwirl posted:

Do they have the Jimmy Olsen comics it started in?

Yep! From a quick search, they have Kirby's entire run of Jimmy Olsen, all of Mister Miracle, all of the New Gods (and the '84 re-release), and all of The Forever People.

Only thing which seems to be missing is the Hunger Dogs graphic novel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

blast0rama posted:

Yep! From a quick search, they have Kirby's entire run of Jimmy Olsen, all of Mister Miracle, all of the New Gods (and the '84 re-release), and all of The Forever People.

Only thing which seems to be missing is the Hunger Dogs graphic novel.

I'm quoting my earlier post from when the expanded comic selection was first announced, since the 4th world stuff is there, is any of the rest I asked about? also the old Lois Lane comics E&C mentioned?

Skwirl posted:

So, what are some good Silver/Bronze Age (pre crisis on infinite earths) runs to check out?

Off the top of my head stuff I'm curious about, Green Arrow/Green Lantern, O'Neill/Adams Batman, early Question, Wonder Woman when she's a Kung Fu spy, Kirby's 4th World stuff. Any other gems? What's good pre-crisis Flash?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Read Batman #69, ugh just..........ugh. Also is THAT Thomas Wayne from the old Earth 2 series? The one that was hopped up on the Hourman forumula? Or is this a different version?

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ

Skwirl posted:

I'm quoting my earlier post from when the expanded comic selection was first announced, since the 4th world stuff is there, is any of the rest I asked about? also the old Lois Lane comics E&C mentioned?

Lein Wein & Bernie Wrightson's Swamp Thing, Arnold Drake & Bob Haney's Doom Patrol, and Otto Binder & Al Plastino's Legion of Super Heroes held up pretty good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

Read Batman #69, ugh just..........ugh. Also is THAT Thomas Wayne from the old Earth 2 series? The one that was hopped up on the Hourman forumula? Or is this a different version?

It's Flashpoint Thomas Wayne.

I liked the issue. It's given me hope that bat-dad could be a pretty fun antagonist.
And even with more of the rote bat/cat stuff, it was beautiful.

edit: I enjoy King's butt rear end naked Bane thing too.

ee:
Here's a pretty interesting interview with Yanick Paquette on drawing the issue: https://www.newsarama.com/44814-yanick-paquette-waltzes-readers-though-batman-69.html

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 18, 2019

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's Flashpoint Thomas Wayne.

I liked the issue. It's given me hope that bat-dad could be a pretty fun antagonist.
And even with more of the rote bat/cat stuff, it was beautiful.

edit: I enjoy King's butt rear end naked Bane thing too.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Button and it's Flashpoint tie in. But the Bat/Cat stuff is just so terrible in that "you don't love me, you love the job" bullshit. Why make a nuanced character when it can just be one note. Then again it was all in his head so whatever. It's part of why I dropped this book to begin with.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I liked the Superman line in the last issue. “I love being Superman, but I hate that I have to be Superman. You hate being Batman, but you love that you have to be Batman.”

They’re really laying all the trauma out there as we move into the third act.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Skwirl posted:

From a cursory search, without knowing issue numbers and such, looks like it, yeah!

Basically, it looks like that if it’s pre 2005, on ComiXology, and isn’t Vertigo or a stand alone graphic novel (they said they want to keep those exclusive to retailers), it’s up.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Vertigo is one of the reasons I wanted it.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Beerdeer posted:

Vertigo is one of the reasons I wanted it.

Yeah - that's a bit of a kick in the pants (especially given how kinda...violent modern DC Comics are?), and doubly so when you realize they're pulling the 80's Animal Man run off of DCU for that reason.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Assuming they don't shutter it the service they'll probably add it later. Marvel Unlimited had a bunch of gaps at first, including stuff like having Uncanny X-Men, but missing large chunks of X-Force, so they would have some parts of major crossover events, but be missing others.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

blast0rama posted:

Yeah - that's a bit of a kick in the pants (especially given how kinda...violent modern DC Comics are?), and doubly so when you realize they're pulling the 80's Animal Man run off of DCU for that reason.

Doom Patrol does have all of the Rachel Pollock issues on DCU, which were branded Vertigo. Maybe those Animal Man issues marked "Last Chance" are just left over from when they were planning to rotate books in and out of the service?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Doom Patrol does have all of the Rachel Pollock issues on DCU, which were branded Vertigo. Maybe those Animal Man issues marked "Last Chance" are just left over from when they were planning to rotate books in and out of the service?

From a post on their Community board:

quote:

Alas, as we reconfigured our library we isolated one single series we had to sacrifice- the Vertigo imprint, Animal Man. As many of you know, we are not carrying Vertigo comics on our service at this time. But we will be adding 20,000+ more to ease the pain!

Makes no sense to me. But eh, I’m pleased with catching up on the rest of DC’s stuff.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

blast0rama posted:

From a post on their Community board:

Makes no sense to me. But eh, I’m pleased with catching up on the rest of DC’s stuff.

Yeah, that makes zero sense because the issues they're pulling pre-date the Vertigo imprint. It's just the Morrison run and then it cuts off long before the book was even brought under the Vertigo banner. On top of that, they added the Vertigo Doom Patrol issues in the last update. They also said "no Wildstorm" but The Authority, Planetary, WildCATS and Majestic are all up there. It's very weird.

EDIT: I asked about Animal Man that DCU thread and was told:

quote:

Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing will remain on the service to coincide with the series here at DCU.

So the rule I guess is "no Vertigo comics unless there's a TV show."

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 18, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You hear em DC. Make the Animal Man tv show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Roth posted:

You hear em DC. Make the Animal Man tv show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Lwx7W7kZ0

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Really pulling for my Milligan-based Shade road comedy.

Which I just remembered had one of those little cartoons. Weird choices they've made at times.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The Batman of Arkham is a pretty good elseworlds story.

Thrillkiller is not.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

The Batman of Arkham is a pretty good elseworlds story.

Thrillkiller is not.

It's pretty, though. Brereton doesn't make an ugly book.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

It's pretty, though. Brereton doesn't make an ugly book.

I do not think the art is great either. I will power through it and see if it gets better.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Batman: the golden streets of Gotham elseworld's story is really good.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mr Hootington posted:

Batman: the golden streets of Gotham elseworld's story is really good.

Agreed, though I feel it could have used a couple extra pages to smooth the ending a bit. It's a little abrupt as-is. I also liked Nine Lives well enough.

I need to find a copy of 1001 Emerald Nights, or hope it shows up in a collection. It was merely ok, but it was so pretty.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

catlord posted:

Agreed, though I feel it could have used a couple extra pages to smooth the ending a bit. It's a little abrupt as-is. I also liked Nine Lives well enough.

I need to find a copy of 1001 Emerald Nights, or hope it shows up in a collection. It was merely ok, but it was so pretty.

I think it is in one of the elseworlds collections they printed recently.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Heroes in Crisis #8 spoiler.

:dogbutton:

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

batman: dark allegiances is a really good elseworlds story because it has batman beating up the kkk and also cops who are trying to break a worker's strike

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ28FcRePAo

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wait. What?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is the editor just afraid that tom king will disappear him what's up with this

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Jesus did Tom King see the reader reaction to Civil War 2 and take it as a challenge to write a worse event?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

More HIC spoiler pages.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mr Hootington posted:

I think it is in one of the elseworlds collections they printed recently.

What! How did I miss that? Thanks for the heads up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

More HIC spoiler pages.

Well, it’s not an event until a Titan dies!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Well, it’s not an event until a Titan dies!

A bunch already did!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
yay

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So

I don't really know how to say this politely but...what exactly is King's...credentials...for writing about trauma and counseling and recovery?

I know it's not as if you need to be a doctor to write a story about hospitals, but...for some reason the, like, comics community at large seemed to suddenly agree that Tom King is in any way qualified to be making any statements whatsoever about these sorts of very delicate issues and it's like....................
........why?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He may have participated in the commitment of war crimes.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So let's break this down.

Wally feels alone in Sanctuary, and feels like he's a freak, and apparently, you have to always be in control of the Speedforce. So when He's in the field trying to control it, everyone comes around him, and he zaps them all, killing everyone. So he steals boosters VR tech, makes Booster and Harley think the other killed everyone, arranged the bodies, made them up to look like one of the two killed them, knowing what he knows about Barry and Bruce. THEN he went 5 days into the future, killed himself, and that was HIS body there. He did all this to throw everyone on a wild goose chase to give himself time to leak everything to Lois Lane and then kill himself (Literally)

This is the stupidest poo poo. I think this may be a dumber mystery than Identity Crisis.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ
I really like Tom King, I really do. But Heroes In Crisis is the nadir of the DC Crises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
There sure is a lot going on in HiC that probably speaks to Kings own issues with therapeutic treatment.

Also has the speed force ever been described as functioning this way, by anyone?