Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lol they're launching on a friday with a system that relies on a human emailing people codes just to get a download link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
lol I thought they might actually be taking some time to figure our a better DRM scheme but nope it's just a 3 week delay to update their own crappy storefront.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Lol they're launching on a friday with a system that relies on a human emailing people codes just to get a download link.

Don't worry the intern will come in for a few hours Saturday morning to generate keys for your laptops current boot cycle.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

At least Uboat comes out in a week. Well, Early Access at least.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

At least Uboat comes out in a week. Well, Early Access at least.

Wuuuuuuuhhhhhh???

Awesome, I'm hype.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

WHERE IS, REPEAT, WHERE IS RULE THE WAVES 2, THE WORLD WONDERS

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

Wuuuuuuuhhhhhh???

Awesome, I'm hype.

It comes out on the 30th

I hear that in UBOAT you actually loot ships you kill, by sending a guy in diving gear to the bottom of the ocean lol. To pick up loot.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
still lolling at manual drm via email jesus christ

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
they have an enigma machine in their basement and there's a 60 year old grog just furiously typing codes as orders pile up on his desk

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

It comes out on the 30th

I hear that in UBOAT you actually loot ships you kill, by sending a guy in diving gear to the bottom of the ocean lol. To pick up loot.

From what I saw you loot crates from the water after sinking enemy ships and it will usually just contain food. Diving is to recover radar or enigma machines as part of a recovery mission is my understanding, not to loot ships per say.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Phi230 posted:

they have an enigma machine in their basement and there's a 60 year old grog just furiously typing codes as orders pile up on his desk

Oh man it would be maximum grognard and totally plausible for them to decide that using an actual enigma machine to generate codes is the perfect solution because it's hardware and therefore unhackable.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Phi230 posted:

It comes out on the 30th

If the water is relatively shallow, yeah, apparently you can. Its base diving suits some U-boats carried, though it was more intended for external hull inspection and repairs than scavenging. You can also recover floating cargo.

You're stationary and helpless while a diver is deployed, meaning if necessary you can cut the diver's rope/breathing line while he's underwater in order for the U-boat to attempt to escape danger (such as an aircraft).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pfffffft like most Grogs don't have a fully working engima machine in their basement.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the dude in charge of coming up with and hand typing codes uses hunt-and-peck

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
this is what happens when you don't make a thread

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Speaking of U-boats, has Wolfpack received any updates yet? Or any further word about the solo/bots mode they mentioned?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

All the Discord links seem to be broken, unfortunately. Anyone have an updated link?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

this is what happens when you don't make a thread

Some surprisingly good jokes?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Athaboros posted:

All the Discord links seem to be broken, unfortunately. Anyone have an updated link?

https://discord.gg/5WEmKpe

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I am entirely unsurprised by the delay given the shifting nonspecific answers about the DRM in that thread.

I am also, however, still very hyped for the gameplay and wish they wouldn't keep trying to torpedo their shot at wider sales success.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Very happy rtw has been delayed as it gives me time to try imperator and uboat first.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This is like the 3rd delay, 3 days before launch. And its a month long delay

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
i can already smell the whiff of failure beginning to waft upon the air

just the initial scents now

but they will get stronger

soon

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is there like a sports analogy for last minute gently caress ups of this magnitude

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah the San Jose Sharks at playoff time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stairmaster posted:

Is there like a sports analogy for last minute gently caress ups of this magnitude

"not campaigning in Wisconsin"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

uPen posted:

Very happy rtw has been delayed as it gives me time to try imperator and uboat first.

Yeah, Imperator was the one getting bumped for me, as I can't get two games in a month, so I'm not that upset.

Just a little worried....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Popete posted:

Pfffffft like most Grogs don't have a fully working engima machine in their basement.

Naval enigmas were different, IIRC.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Maybe in our hubris we were never meant to rule the waves? Maybe they were meant to rule us?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Listen, they’ve heard what people said about “why not just put it on Steam?” and “why use such awful DRM?” and they’ve reached a solution that should work for everyone. RtW2 will be out as soon as Fredrik finishes coding a Steam clone.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

edit: gonna play Imperator instead like everyone else.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 23, 2019

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Listen, they’ve heard what people said about “why not just put it on Steam?” and “why use such awful DRM?” and they’ve reached a solution that should work for everyone. RtW2 will be out as soon as Fredrik finishes coding a Steam clone.

I can't wait to play Half Life: The Direct Draw edition

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Looking forward to The War Plan Orange Box

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
And I’d taken a whole week off to play RTW2 on release! I even bought a new gaming rig!

meadowlark
May 25, 2012
A new gaming rig for RTW 2? Wtf were you using before?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

meadowlark posted:

A new gaming rig for RTW 2? Wtf were you using before?

A 386. Perfectly good computer for a lot of grog games

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

Quick jump in during the convo, but I was wondering if anyone is familiar with Aurora 4x? I'm fascinated by it, but was wondering if there are any good tutorial material to go with it. I found a PDF on the Aurora site that walks you through it a bit, but was wondering if anyone knows of other resources I could use.

There are four aurora LP in the OP which have a lot of info. Otherwise feel free to pop to the discord for q's

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Alchenar posted:

Yeah I could ultimately live with their dumb DRM implementation but for the fact that having a guy email me one code and then another code every time I want to install the software I purchased means I have to have immense trust that the people I'm emailing aren't incompetent fuckups. This display from them has taken away any right to the benefit of the doubt on that trust. I'm sure eventually I'll buy, but it'll be long after I've let other people take the plunge and see if there are any issues.

I know in the thread it's trendy to hate on Battlefront, but there's nothing seedy about what they do. They've made a business decision not to go with Steam and have invested in their own shopfront instead. That's for them to do. They charge for game updates... it's not industry practise but they're upfront about it and they don't let game breaking stuff go unpatched. Ultimately their customer experience is good if you want to pay what they are asking, which they can ask for because they're the only game in town.

Lets see how Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts turns out.

What?

Battlefront pulled this same poo poo. Every time.

Oh we did some market research and we lose 25 to 30 percent of our sales! We can't go witb Steam because we woild make 0$, because Steam takes a cut, so 100% of the sale minus a 15% cut equals 0 loving DOLLARS YOU MORANZ

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Saros posted:

There are four aurora LP in the OP which have a lot of info. Otherwise feel free to pop to the discord for q's

Wow I straight up missed those. Thank you for pointing those out, I'll definitely read them later.