Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Akratic Method posted:

Sorry, Serial only works with regular shots. Your reading of the ability description was completely reasonable and that's XCOM's fault for not making its rules clear, but from a game balance perspective it would have been way too insanely good to allow combining it with special shot types so I get why it works that way. Rapid Fire is already so good they nerfed it with a 5-turn cooldown in the expansion.

And I'm happy to see you finally find a case where the frost bomb is not an instant win button! See, you still did ok and got away unscathed, albeit because Severa was carrying the other win button. (well, more of a "don't lose" button :shrug:) Sectopods and the other enemy type that occupies four tiles (pretty mild spoiler) thaw immediately at the cost of half their turn.

Edit: ^^^ wait, really? So if they'd used Rapid Fire but killed the officer on the first shot, it'd have counted for Serial? I did not know that.

Yeah, but its such an edge case that it doesn't really come up. If you can kill them with one shot, as you need to for your Serial to go through, then why take the -15 to hit from Rapid Shot? I mean if you really have to kill a mind controlling Sectoid or something I guess going Rapid Shot with Serial on top so you can maybe go after other guys if you get him on the first shot, but if you miss that first shot (or do minimum damage and fail to kill it) you get the second one to try and clear it up....but if that's your situation, I'd rather save Serial for later turn, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, but its such an edge case that it doesn't really come up. If you can kill them with one shot, as you need to for your Serial to go through, then why take the -15 to hit from Rapid Shot? I mean if you really have to kill a mind controlling Sectoid or something I guess going Rapid Shot with Serial on top so you can maybe go after other guys if you get him on the first shot, but if you miss that first shot (or do minimum damage and fail to kill it) you get the second one to try and clear it up....but if that's your situation, I'd rather save Serial for later turn, you know?

"For insurance" is a pretty good reason to use it, honestly. You really have to play these games in the mindset of "What's my backup plan if this doesn't work?" rather than "This is a good plan, time to go all-in", because sooner or later that 95% shot is going to miss and if you don't have a plan to fall back on then you can end up pretty screwed. It's the reason why frost grenades and mimic beacons are so broken, because they can be your fallback plan for virtually any situation. No need to worry about having a plan to get that ranger back to safety if they activate another pod or miss their 99% flank shot, mimic beacon has you covered.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
A sectopod actually got a turn off. It made the fatal mistake of choosing to wind up instead of firing, but we're getting there!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I don't know why they even let Sectopods on the UFO's, with the way they just casually stroll through the walls.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Bifauxnen posted:

I don't know why they even let Sectopods on the UFO's, with the way they just casually stroll through the walls.

"We had to destroy the ship in order to save it."

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Akratic Method posted:

"We had to destroy the ship in order to save it."

XCOM could probably destroy the whole alien society at minimal risk if they just drop a single rookie in to lob a grenade at every UFO they see. Let the Sectopods do the rest of the work, they're clearly chomping at the bit for the first excuse they can get to start smashing stuff.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

These situations are where I have most fun with XCOM I think. When things get quite hairy and you spend 5-10 minutes consulting your batman utility belt to get back out of it unscathed (hopefully).

Also going back to the second vid this week and another round of fighting against the squad equip interface. I want to say that if you only ever use the buttons on the squad screen and not the individual soldier screen you won't unequip soldiers that are supposed to be getting on the plane. Certainly I never saw that issue to the extent you have and that's the way I went about it.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Bifauxnen posted:

XCOM could probably destroy the whole alien society at minimal risk if they just drop a single rookie in to lob a grenade at every UFO they see. Let the Sectopods do the rest of the work, they're clearly chomping at the bit for the first excuse they can get to start smashing stuff.

This is really relevant on missions where you have to defend something from being destroyed. Sometimes you walk up, trigger a sectopod group, and during its initial move it walks right through the object and destroys it instantly. And then you lose.

It's pretty unfortunate.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Gotta say this last battle was fairly nostalgic for me. Easily half of your XCOM (and X-Com for that matter) missions were just like this...an assault on either a landed or shot down UFO. The gameflow would go about the same too, with the slow approach, early encounter with the alien perimeter, then the really hairy part, trying to breach the UFO itself. The self-destruct timer was a new element, though MELD sorta acted as a timer in XCOM:EW. No Frost or Mimic available to bail you out, though there were other compensations. MECs! MECs! MECs! Oh, and SHIVs too. Loved those lil guys.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mr. Vile posted:

"For insurance" is a pretty good reason to use it, honestly. You really have to play these games in the mindset of "What's my backup plan if this doesn't work?" rather than "This is a good plan, time to go all-in", because sooner or later that 95% shot is going to miss and if you don't have a plan to fall back on then you can end up pretty screwed. It's the reason why frost grenades and mimic beacons are so broken, because they can be your fallback plan for virtually any situation. No need to worry about having a plan to get that ranger back to safety if they activate another pod or miss their 99% flank shot, mimic beacon has you covered.
I think that mimic beacons have their place, especially in an Ironman/honestman game. The vicissitudes of the RNG mean that you're maybe going to stumble into bad situations no matter carefully you tread, and the mimic beacon can save you from a squad wipe that makes a game you're 40 hours into effectively unwinnable. Especially in WotC. Using it like a frost grenade to toast a pod for free means you don't have it when you need it.

I still recall vividly a downed UFO mission in Enemy Unknown where my squad started in an entire screen of half cover, and three pods patrolled onto me in two turns: Berzerker + Mutons and two pods of four heavy floaters, one from the flank. I must have replayed that save twenty times looking for a solution, and nothing worked. Every single time I got flanked in low cover and squad wiped. If I had been playing that campaign Ironman, I would have rage quit.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 21, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Loel posted:

What did you get blindsided by you killed everything :colbert: I was promised blindsiding :colbert:

Seriously though, good job so far :D

We were blindsided by Pete's failure to kill everything in a 50 mile radius.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
Episode 36 is missing from the index.

Chryssalids are seriously nerfed from the original XCOM. Back in the Bad Old Days a single Chryssalid could easily TPK a squad of 12 veterans. Luckily rescuing civilians wasn't an objective and resulted only in score penalties. Upon seeing Snakemen/Chryssalids on a terror mission the SOP was to camp near the skyranger and just level the whole city with heavy weapons.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

turol posted:

Episode 36 is missing from the index.

Chryssalids are seriously nerfed from the original XCOM. Back in the Bad Old Days a single Chryssalid could easily TPK a squad of 12 veterans. Luckily rescuing civilians wasn't an objective and resulted only in score penalties. Upon seeing Snakemen/Chryssalids on a terror mission the SOP was to camp near the skyranger and just level the whole city with heavy weapons.

Updated! Thanks for the spot!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

turol posted:

camp near the skyranger and just level the whole city with heavy weapons.

SMDH if this wasn't just your general MO, tbh

turol
Jul 31, 2017

Nordick posted:

SMDH if this wasn't just your general MO, tbh

Hey, blaster bombs are expensive and tend to destroy useful loot. Using rookies for normal door busting is cheaper. The only reason I'm not sending a squad of rookies to handle Chryssalid terror mission and writing them off is the hellacious score penalty for "failing" one.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

The thing that made chrysalid terror missions dangerous was the fact that they had about five million action points, so they could run around and turn every civilian on the map into more chrysalids in like two turns. Even Power Armor did nothing against them since once one was next to an X-Com soldier they would spend all them action points on infinite attacks. When one of the fuckers got next to the team, they'd easily turn like four soldiers into more of themselves, every turn they got. It was not a good time.

There he is, the smirking fucker!

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 22, 2019

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

StoryTime posted:

There he is, the smirking fucker!

Hey man, you might wanna spoiler that post. They don't know that Chrysalids can infect people yet! They shouldn't know that until it comes up in play!

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 22, 2019

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Hey man, you might wanna spoiler that. They don't know that Chrysalids can infect people yet! They shouldn't know that until it comes up in play!

Oops, sorry, I didn't remember they hadn't seen that yet. There's three XCOM LP's going on at the moment, it's a bit hard to keep track of all of this!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
https://twitter.com/lonelytiefling/status/1120334647219585027

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Disappointed that y'all went for gear upgradeds instead of advancing the plot. :mad:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
No non-spoiler way to tell them to save their cores for Experimental Powered Weapons :sigh:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Dr Christmas posted:

No non-spoiler way to tell them to save their cores for Experimental Powered Weapons :sigh:

Nope!

Maybe they'll figure it out after a third or fourth flamethrower. Then again they'll probably go back to making grenades or something.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Qrr posted:

Nope!

Maybe they'll figure it out after a third or fourth flamethrower. Then again they'll probably go back to making grenades or something.

They’ve already called the WAR suit the “shield suit” so I wonder how long it’ll take them to realize that it’s the upgrade to the EXO suit and build one? I’m going to feel sad for their XCOM experience if they somehow complete the game without seeing a blaster launcher. Hell, they’ve already given up on the spark so they won’t see the glory of obliterating an entire house with the blaster launcher and rainmaker.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
FYI: Researching a Facility Lead doesn't reveal new facilities on the map, it unlocks an existing one so that you can assault it right away without having to make contact with the region first.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I vote research codex brain instead of sectopod breakdown.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I vote the opposite of this

thankfully they didn't open it to a vote, having recorded this a week ago, so it doesn't matter

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The shot percentage is dodgy due to how it counts overwatch shots and other reactions, IIRC. Successful reaction shots get counted but failed ones don't, so if for example you hit with 15/20 shots but also had 5+ successful reaction shots then that gives you 100% shot percentage.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Seconding this. (vvEdit: Mostly to be cheeky, I voted when it was current.)

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 25, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
gently caress, I thought I was poor, but apparently some people can't even afford to pay attention

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Nordick posted:

FYI: Researching a Facility Lead doesn't reveal new facilities on the map, it unlocks an existing one so that you can assault it right away without having to make contact with the region first.

Yep. If the Avatar gauge is still uncomfortably high after you finish the Europe facility you can go straight over to Indonesia and blow up that one immediately afterward. Facility leads are a godsend when you're near the start of the game and there are facilities 3 or 4 links away, but only moderately nice now when you can get there in a couple and already have the spare comms capacity sitting idle.

And no, healing in combat doesn't reduce infirmary time. Your soldiers' time in the hospital is determined by the minimum HP they reached in a mission.

Also, why did you hate the RNG in that one? Everything more or less made sense. The lucky shot against Emy wasn't really all that lucky, he did holo-target her first, and I didn't really see anything else that didn't go your way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also this. Just get the Shadow Chamber Research out of the way.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Akratic Method posted:

Also, why did you hate the RNG in that one? Everything more or less made sense. The lucky shot against Emy wasn't really all that lucky, he did holo-target her first, and I didn't really see anything else that didn't go your way.

Well you see, when you think your facility lead has just revealed the only facility you know about instead of anything else. You think you have bad rng but the game is actually working entirely as intended.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

https://www.strawpoll.me/17893279

As a cheeky aside, if you like the LP please rate the thread!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 26, 2019

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The sectopod breakdown is extremely worth it.

After that, I feel like just getting the obnoxiously limiting shadow chamber research done is best

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

What is it with you people and executing Sectopods? That's the second time you've done that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

...yeah, top-level snipers get a bit Hand of God.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Regarding the music: I agree that the vanilla soundtrack in XCOM 2 is okay, but nothing special. A step down from the previous game, to be sure. Then they released the expansion War of the Chosen, which came with some new tunes that were even more forgettable (namely it replaced the squad select screen music, which was the highlight of the vanilla soundtrack).

BUT THEN.

Kinda out of the blue they released this DLC called Tactical Legacy Pack for WotC, which had a whole bunch of neat stuff, like a series of mini-campaigns. But the real star of that pack was yet another soundtrack, and by God is it a good loving soundtrack. Notably, it took some of the iconic tunes from the OG UFO and remade them in glorious fashion. And apart from that, the new original music in the pack is loving :krad: as well.

Sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent, but I just loving love that soundtrack.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nordick posted:

Regarding the music: I agree that the vanilla soundtrack in XCOM 2 is okay, but nothing special. A step down from the previous game, to be sure. Then they released the expansion War of the Chosen, which came with some new tunes that were even more forgettable (namely it replaced the squad select screen music, which was the highlight of the vanilla soundtrack).

BUT THEN.

Kinda out of the blue they released this DLC called Tactical Legacy Pack for WotC, which had a whole bunch of neat stuff, like a series of mini-campaigns. But the real star of that pack was yet another soundtrack, and by God is it a good loving soundtrack. Notably, it took some of the iconic tunes from the OG UFO and remade them in glorious fashion. And apart from that, the new original music in the pack is loving :krad: as well.

Sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent, but I just loving love that soundtrack.

No need to buy the DLC to jam out either, they put the soundtrack on Bandcamp. https://2kgamesmusic.bandcamp.com/album/xcom-legacy-original-soundtrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Bruceski posted:

...yeah, top-level snipers get a bit Hand of God.

I played War of the Chosen recently. After I got Darklance and Darkclaw I actually had my main Sharpshooter sit out a couple of missions late in the run because she was so good she made them boring.