Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I will grant the SPICE thing being author's intent and not obvious text, and the X-Corp thing is just not thinking things through, but if you missed the first two, you're not paying attention at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

The Question IRL posted:

But all of that pales in comparison to bringing in Juggernaut and Sammy the Squid Boy, doing a great job with them...then the mean spirited hatchet job he did burning them to the ground on the way out.

Like it's one thing to be aggressively bad. It's another to have good points, and pointedly destroying them on the way out as some sort of middle finger to the audience.

He had done such good work redeeming Cain. People forget how good his Juggernaut was. I forget how that ended. What did he do with Cain and Sammy. Did Sammy die?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shawn posted:

He had done such good work redeeming Cain. People forget how good his Juggernaut was. I forget how that ended. What did he do with Cain and Sammy. Did Sammy die?

Black Tom killed him and died thinking Juggernaut was a traitor. No nice things ever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I hated the idea of good guy Juggernaut, but his friendship with Sammy the fish boy was the only redeeming part of the run that I never finished. He’d have fit in with the special class. Him, Glob, Ernst, etc;

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I loving loved Juggernaut as a good guy, I though he worked so well on the team and I was really unhappy with his inevitable heel (re)turn. I like the character so much more when he's got some ambiguity about him, that struggle to be a hero was so much more compelling than just being a big angry stompy dumbass.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He almost dies in an explosion in the first arc against those stupid werewolf guys. Juggernaut is supposed to be the measuring stick with which heroes test their limits. A weak Juggernaut is naut a Juggernaut.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's funny we're talking about bad era X-men because I just read "What if Astonishing resurrected Jean Grey instead of Colossus." And it gets as probably hosed up as you are guessing but maybe not for why exactly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Welp for Juggy fans, he's joined up with Scott and crew again.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It's the only thing I've liked in this Uncanny run so far, the presence of the New Mutants notwithstanding.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
One of the best moments of any X-book that I've ever read, and I say this with full sincerity, is the shouting match/heart-to-heart between Juggernaut and Professor X near the beginning of Austen's run. Cain says that Xavier could've used his powers to stop their father from hitting them. Xavier says that Cain was outright strong enough to do the same. But at the time, both of them felt like they deserved it. The scene ends with them finally forgiving each other for making it seem like they had both been on their own. It was a genuinely nice, earned moment of catharsis from two characters that I never would've thought would earn that moment.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 24, 2019

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

BrianWilly posted:

One of the best moments of any X-book that I've ever read, and I say this with full sincerity, is the shouting match/heart-to-heart between Juggernaut and Professor X near the beginning of Austen's run. Cain says that Xavier could've used his powers to stop their father from hitting them. Xavier says that Cain was outright strong enough to do the same. But at the time, both of them felt like they deserved it. The scene ends with them finally forgiving each other for making it seem like they had both been on their own. It was a genuinely nice, earned moment of catharsis from two characters that I never would've thought would earn that moment.

As terrible as the Austen stuff is, they were the very first comics I bought with my own money and I do love Juggernaut as a good guy. It helps that he's something of a rarity among X-men baddies in that he's basically a bank robber. There's no larger ideological concerns with him. And he's good bros with Black Tom.

Soonmot posted:

Welp for Juggy fans, he's joined up with Scott and crew again.

Not to rag on Uncanny yet again, but that made zero sense. Juggernaut wants to join back up with the X-men because they're on the verge of extinction? Since when does Juggernaut care about politics? Like that's the least likely character to make that decision. Every single other bad guy in that issue would be more likely to show solidarity with mutants than Juggernaut.

Rosenberg is giving Austen a run for his loving money.

Unrelatedly, I love the issue in Carey's run where Xavier confronts Juggernaut, traps him in his own mind, and basically tells him that he's accepted that Juggernaut is unredeemable and tells him to stay the gently caress away from the X-men. I do like bad Xavier, but not the bad Xavier where he's erasing brothers from minds or stifling AI. Those are situations where it seems like he's panicking and doing stupid things that'll come back to bite him. But proactive, calculating bad Xavier is where it's at.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The "D.C.'s greatest heroes!" gag in the new issue of Avengers is absolutely worth the build-up. Really funny.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
So does UXM War of the Realms tie-in occur in a pocket of hypertime between the beginning and end of UXM #16?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Aren't there other versions of the Squadron Supreme characters running around already?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Having a million Squadron Supremes running around is almost part of the gimmick at this point.

Squadron Sinister mk1: a group of people turned into Fake Justice League by the Grandmaster in order to mess with the Avengers and Kang. The Nighthawk from this SSin mk1 went on to be the Nighthawk who appeared in the Defenders throughout the 1970s and 1980s, then died, then came back in the early 2000s and is still floating around, most recently in a Fear Itself mini-series I think.

A couple years later the Avengers crossover to another dimension where there's a Squadron Supreme, who are good guys and they team up with the Avengers at various points in the 1970s and early 1980s. This version of Squadron Supreme is the one Mark Gruenwald writes about in his big Squadron Supreme maxi-series and follow-up graphic novels where they eventually take over the planet after a series of apocalypses, then eventually their planet is destroyed and a bunch of the members end up in the main Marvel Universe hanging out as supporting cast members for Quasar.

Kurt Busiek's Avengers run sends them back to their not-actually-destroyed universe and I guess hypothetically they're all still over there, doin' stuff at least until the point that Time Runs Out/Secret Wars destroys the old multiverse.

Shortly after that, JMS did Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme which was hypothetically an out-of-continuity new MAX version of the concept, until it wasn't This is the version that crossed over with the Ultimate Universe, leaving Ultimate Nick Fury trapped in Squadron Supreme World and Power Princess/Not-Wonder-Woman over in the Ultimate universe to bang Ultimate Hulk and sort of just disappear after Frank Cho wasn't drawing Jeph Loeb's Ultimates anymore. And then Nick Fury came back to the Ultimate Universe somehow.

Meanwhile, the Grandmaster makes a new version of the Squadron Sinister (with a mix of old and new versions of the aforementioned characters) in New Thunderbolts.

In Hickman's Avengers a completely new Hyperion whose origin is similar but not the same as the original Squadron Supreme Hyperion (but not the original Squadron Sinister Hyperion?) escapes from a dying universe and lands on Main Earth and joins the Avengers. Later on the JMS/Supreme Power Squadron shows up and get killed by Namor and the Cabal.

After Secret Wars, a Nighthawk with the same origin/background as the JMS/Supreme Power one shows up alongside the Hickman-version Hyperion in the Squadron Supreme series. Both that Hyperion and Nighthawk got their own mini-series in 2016, and they appear in Secret Empire: Nighthawk gets shot and killed, leading Tilda Johnson/Deadly Nightshade to take up the mantle in his honor. She hasn't appeared since. Hyperion is trapped in space with Captain Marvel and company and it's treated like he gets killed/gravely injured but then at the end of the story he's fine and fighting in group shots.

This is to say nothing of the evil King Hyperion who was in Exiles for awhile, or the replacement Nighthawks that have existed for pretty much every Nighthawk mentioned above, or how there have been some unrelated Doctor Spectrums, or the fact that the fake-Flash's codename "Blur" originates from a black speedster from the New Universe, was re-used for another black speedster in the JMS version, then in the most recent Squadron Supreme it was the dude from the New Universe not any previous Squadron. The new Jason Aaron one looks like the older versions (called the Whizzer, no relation to the Golden Age Whizzer who was hinted to be Pietro and Wanda's dad before it was established as Magneto) but is still called Blur.

I'm going to guess that it's supposed to be an entirely new group created by Mephisto, but I guess they could be various brainwashed and/or resurrected Squadron members since we're talking about the team being put together by a demon with the power to raise people from the dead in addition to creating entirely new beings.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
There was also a Doctor Spectrum from the universe where the Great Society (yet another Justice League knockoff) existed and now she's in New Attilan IIRC

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Marvel's Eisner noms:

Best Single Issue/One-Shot
Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310, by Chip Zdarsky (Marvel)

Best Continuing Series
The Immortal Hulk, by Al Ewing, Joe Bennett, and Ruy José (Marvel)
Runaways, by Rainbow Rowell and Kris Anka (Marvel)

Best Limited Series
X-Men: Grand Design: Second Genesis, by Ed Piskor (Marvel)

Best Graphic Album—Reprint
The Vision hardcover, by Tom King, Gabriel Hernandez Walta, and Michael Walsh (Marvel)

Best Writer
Kelly Thompson, Nancy Drew (Dynamite); Hawkeye, Jessica Jones, Mr. & Mrs. X, Rogue & Gambit, Uncanny X-Men, West Coast Avengers (Marvel)
Chip Zdarsky, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Marvel Two-in-One (Marvel)

Best Cover Artist (for multiple covers)
Julian Tedesco, Hawkeye, Life of Captain Marvel (Marvel)

Best Coloring
Jordie Bellaire, Batgirl, Batman (DC); The Divided Earth (First Second); Days of Hate, Dead Hand, Head Lopper, Redlands (Image); Shuri, Doctor Strange (Marvel)
Tamra Bonvillain, Alien 3 (Dark Horse); Batman, Doom Patrol (DC); Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Multiple Man (Marvel)
Matt Wilson, Black Cloud, Paper Girls, The Wicked + The Divine (Image); The Mighty Thor, Runaways (Marvel)

Complete list: https://www.newsarama.com/44949-2019-will-eisner-comic-industry-award-nominees.html

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Spider-Man Life Story is super good. I love me an elseworlds series. I don’t know if the story stands on its own if you don’t know the convoluted history of S-M but the callbacks are great if you do.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Spider-Man Life Story is super good. I love me an elseworlds series. I don’t know if the story stands on its own if you don’t know the convoluted history of S-M but the callbacks are great if you do.

I'll literally read anything Zdarsky does. Dude's a hell of a talent, and seems to have self-awareness unlike some big talents of yore.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 27, 2019

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Kelly Thompson, Nancy Drew (Dynamite); Hawkeye, Jessica Jones, Mr. & Mrs. X, Rogue & Gambit, Uncanny X-Men, West Coast Avengers (Marvel)

:hai:

Everything Thompson has written this past year has been pure gold. I hope she wins the award because she absolutely deserves it.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

JordanKai posted:

Everything Thompson has written this past year has been pure gold. I hope she wins the award because she absolutely deserves it.

Agreed, and as a bonus it will enrage the CHUDs.

I mean, Jessica Jones alone would be Eisner-worthy, let alone the other stuff she's written (we'll ignore Disassembled like Marvel likely will in a few months).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I feel sorry for the rest of the nominations going against Spectacular Spider-Man 310.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JordanKai posted:

I'm so loving angry West coast avengers got axed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Eh, WCA was good but her Hawkeye was better without all the others around imo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Her West Coast Avengers was great because not only did it rescue America and wipe away the stink of her solo series it also made me actually enjoy Quentin Quire and Gwenpool as characters which was a tall feat.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm so loving angry West coast avengers got axed.

Mr. & Mrs. X is over too. :( I really hope she gets a chance to do a meaty, extended run on a big title soon (assuming she wants to).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's Thompson left with then, because I don't think they've announced another Jessica Jones digital thingie either.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Skwirl posted:

What's Thompson left with then, because I don't think they've announced another Jessica Jones digital thingie either.

Her Captain Marvel run is still going. And it's actually fun so far. Her villain is pretty much the personification of toxic masculinity.

Also she's writing a "Sabrina" comic for the Archie syndication.

I am a big fan of her, but purple daughter did nothing for me. It had some good quips between JJ and Emma, though.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 28, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wish we were getting more soska sisters black widow, im enjoying this mini

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought it was an ongoing

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nope

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

site posted:

Wish we were getting more soska sisters black widow, im enjoying this mini

Agreed. It's got a great pace, heaps of atmosphere and is a fun look at the darker side of Madripoor. Flaviano's art is a cool choice too - it stops it being too oppressive and his character designs are wildly inventive.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
so I've been catching up on comics and... does this Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda arc in Black Panther suck or am I the idiot? Because I really don't like it at all in comparison to the other arcs and it just seems to be draaaagging along interminably.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It could use some condensing yes

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

TwoPair posted:

so I've been catching up on comics and... does this Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda arc in Black Panther suck or am I the idiot? Because I really don't like it at all in comparison to the other arcs and it just seems to be draaaagging along interminably.

It seems to be relying heavily on the reader being incredibly immersed in this gripping tale of the corrupted ideal, or whatever, but it's taken way too many issues to get to the point.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm totally checked out for this arc.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TwoPair posted:

So catch me up. Is this about how in the future Wakanda becomes a bloated, corrupt space empire (booo) or about how Wakanda on Earth was seeded by a advanced space empire? (Yay!)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Confusingly it's about the space empire tchalla started in Hickman's avengers a thousand years in the future, but also tchalla is there with no explanation after 11 issues

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've loved Black Panther by Coates but I had to stop after the first six issues of Space Wakanda went nowhere. I love cosmic space stuff in Marvel too but it just dragged and I could not get into it. To hear that it's still going and still not very good just reinforces my choice. When it's done with Space Wakanda I'll pick it up again.

In the mean time he's still killing it on Cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I kept thinking for the first few issues "oh it's gonna turn out to be all in his head or something" but then in Shuri's book she just straight-up says "Oh T'Challa's in space and we don't know why he's not back but I'm sure he'll be back eventually..."

But yeah Cap's good at least