Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And if you're a visual kind of person: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Hpqov_Src (Booza is much of the same thing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
so he made an inedible dish, but it's actually literally the best dish ever because of magic

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did not know that about Turkish Ice Cream. Still seems weird as gently caress to fill a ravioli with it and drop it in this insane pie.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Gyges posted:

Did not know that about Turkish Ice Cream. Still seems weird as gently caress to fill a ravioli with it and drop it in this insane pie.

imagine eating a soup pie, somehow getting a ravioli on your spoon without it slipping back off into the broth, and then biting into it and just having fuckin' laffy taffy stuck to your teeth.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The hosed up thing is that there were a bunch of perfectly good ways to avoid needing the consultant just by changing up challenges and also not requiring that the dishes being made actually sound like the literal best food in the world but nope things just had to go batshit

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

On simply a comics level, did he make 4 pies for each judge and Mana, or were they eating from the same pie? It uh....it never showed any perspective to let me know that.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

show me souma's dish which will obviously be something as mundane as fried rice

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

show me souma's dish which will obviously be something as mundane as fried rice

like it has to be peanut butter squid, nothing else makes narrative sense

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hellsau posted:

like it has to be peanut butter squid, nothing else makes narrative sense

they've already blown their narrative build up for that with erina's dish, i don't understand why people keep harping on this.

of course on the other hand i could definitely still see them trying to milk the same exact thing twice in a row in such quick succession because he's a hack writer lol

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

hack writer

was really stupid that the comic had an appropriate end point, and then it kept going and reverted Erina back into a literal damsel in distress

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Soma's dish will look simple at first glance. BUT there is a dish! You see, in a surprising twist of things, Soma's dish has ANOTHER element added to it making it into a transforming dish! Truly a never before seen spectacle.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mulderman posted:

Soma's dish will look simple at first glance. BUT there is a dish! You see, in a surprising twist of things, Soma's dish has ANOTHER element added to it making it into a transforming dish! Truly a never before seen spectacle.

except this one's gonna transform 5 times

edit: actually as much as i hate the dumb new superpowers thing, i hate the loving hack writing more it's always the second presented dish that wins and everything wins 3-0 and souma always does transforming dishes and

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I hope he presents the worst dish ever conceived, until you break open the bubble in the middle and unleash an even more unpleasant substance, but wait! By sprinkling over the stuff contained in this tiny pot, the dish transforms to be even more horrible than before!

and then the dish is so terrible it makes all other food palatable by comparison, curing Erina's mum and ending the conflict.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

HE'S GOING TO MAKE THE OYAKODON HE MADE FOR ERINA WHEN THEY FIRST MET

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Soma's gimmick is transforming food, it's what he does.

Also yeah the dish sounds awful and just a mishmash of food but regarding the ice cream- You can get Turkish kebab sandwiches and Turkish ice cream at most festivals in Japan these days so there's a non-zero chance that Turkish ice cream is the only Turkish food the writer knows.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elfgames posted:

except this one's gonna transform 5 times

Jesus, Soma’s going to get disqualified on the spot for bringing Freeza food to a professional competition

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

soma reheated the 4 cheese pizza in the microwave

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Should have added Doner kebab to that dish. Would have tasted pretty good as well.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
That doesn't look like a well put-together dish. At all. It's just random bits of stuff from the various cuisines all thrown together into a soup bowl.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What’s Soma’s umami gimmick going to be this time

Maybe he’ll top a layer with Fun Dip

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mulderman posted:

Should have added Doner kebab to that dish. Would have tasted pretty good as well.

This manga should've just ended with him getting the judges drunk and feeding them kebabs, honestly.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Futaba Anzu posted:

I want this to happen.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

He didn't make an Oyakodo. He made his transforming furikiake rice with eggs.

And again, Erina already did that with her peanut butter squid dish in what was clearly supposed to be the final arc until we got this poo poo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Isn’t rice pretty universal across most of those cuisine groups?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty much, yeah.

It's weird to feel like just... being on auto-pilot while reading this manga.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Futaba Anzu posted:

Eej posted:

As grim as the numbers might be I don't think WSJ will authorize them to go straight into ecchi

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Next chapter Shun announces his retirement the same time as, coincidentally, an unknown artist going by “El Tosho” hits the douj scene like never before

Alternatively, Jouichirou shows everyone up like always, cooks unbelievable, never before seen food and marries Mana on the spot as the Japanese news reports the arson of the house of one Tsukuda Yuto by the one crazed fan girl that was buying 8 copies of each volume to support their ship

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe
It's up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/309/5844/1?mobile=1

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh gently caress off.

A full-chapter flashback that could have been resolved within two pages, tops. This is Bleach levels of stretching things.

Also: no Azami, you're still a terrible person. You don't deserve a "but I was really doing it all for the sake of my wife and daughter :qq:" flashback.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No, Azami! Go away! Ugh! :mad:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm reading it now and honestly gently caress this chapter, I'm getting a visceral reaction from this whitewashing

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
After a long, unpopular arc about Erina getting out from under the thumb of her dad, we now have a long arc about Erina trying to please her mom

Idgi. Also Aldini, why does every arc have an Aldini part???

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Blond Aldini is a huge dork and cute. Chubby Aldini is a troll and cute. Also both of them have fairly popular VA's. Seems simple enough.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I still don't know what a mezzaluna is good for

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

I still don't know what a mezzaluna is good for
Making short work of seasonings, herbs, Garlic. poo poo, some of the fancier pizza joints here use them for pizza slices. :cmon:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

this was a good face tho

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Lmao full redemption arc for the abusive father

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Finally, a chapter about Azami where they can pin the blame of everything on a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Azami: I may have had to give Erina a rough education but it was for her own good

Flashback that is in the actual manga: *Azami squeezing a grade school-age Erina's wrist so hard she's screaming and crying in pain for not throwing away slightly not perfect food*

Tsukuda: if you think about it, Azami is just as much a victim here