Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Waltzing Along posted:

Nintendo console tier list, best to worst:

SNES
Switch
Wii U
Wii
Gamecube
NES
N64

handheld:
n3ds
3ds
DS
Gba
gbc
gb

Hehe.

dang these are good lists but you need to excise the Gamecube and NES part and move it above those trash consoles called Switch, Wii U and Wii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The Switch will be remembered as the system that had all the games from previous generations and not much else

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Kind of, but the Wii U is a better pick for that distinction imo.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Nintendo is pretty good

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

internet celebrity posted:

Kind of, but the Wii U is a better pick for that distinction imo.

No it's not lmao. I bet half or more of the Switch library is ports from the PS3/360 generation.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

bradzilla posted:

No it's not lmao. I bet half or more of the Switch library is ports from the PS3/360 generation.

and you get to feel nostalgic by paying the full price from when they were released!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Every single main Zelda and Mario game (except Odyssey and I think Sunshine) is playable on the Wii U. It had two different e-shops that had huge virtual console catalogs and some really solid HD remasters. Apart from some random picks the switch really just has ports from NES and last gen.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
poo poo I knew I bought the wrong console when I shelled out for switch.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Wii U is actually really good. You'd know that if you had one. But you don't have one so you don't know.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the wii u has a fantastic library hamstrung by some profoundly loving stupid hardware

if you ignore the paltry range of the big loving gamepad, or the fact that games often needed asymmetrical control schemes for multiplayer because everyone else was stuck on rebranded wiimotes, or the fact that you basically couldn't upgrade the HDD in any sane way to actually use digital titles, then yeah it was stellar

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've not been on many plane journeys but I don't like using a switch in a moving car, i find it difficult to focus and tend to prefer just looking outside.

Its cool for taking to hotels or on holiday but I don't think I'd ever want to play a switch in public outside of travelling

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Though I love me some nintendo controllers the dumbest controller poo poo of all time was using a wiimote as a wireless dongle for a normal looking gamepad

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've not been on many plane journeys but I don't like using a switch in a moving car, i find it difficult to focus and tend to prefer just looking outside.

Its cool for taking to hotels or on holiday but I don't think I'd ever want to play a switch in public outside of travelling

I get car sick when I play in a car, but every time I fly I use the Switch the whole time without issue, so YMMV.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

food court bailiff posted:

the wii u has a fantastic library hamstrung by some profoundly loving stupid hardware

if you ignore the paltry range of the big loving gamepad, or the fact that games often needed asymmetrical control schemes for multiplayer because everyone else was stuck on rebranded wiimotes, or the fact that you basically couldn't upgrade the HDD in any sane way to actually use digital titles, then yeah it was stellar

The interface and loading times were pretty awful too.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I used to do 10-20 hour plane trips like four to five times a year growing up, if I had a switch it would have made the whole experience so much better. I'm glad that kids that have to travel a lot following their parents get a premium game console to play while they wait in the airport.

signalnoise posted:

Though I love me some nintendo controllers the dumbest controller poo poo of all time was using a wiimote as a wireless dongle for a normal looking gamepad

I love disconnected switch controllers. Like, i'm playing games with my feet up and my arms crossed, poo poo i'm playing games with my hands behind my head, i'm scratching my balls without ever stopping putting inputs into the video game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Convenience absolutely is a huge draw to the Switch, and I think they know it given for a lot of games it's a lot quicker to get started than even the 3DS. Being in a sleep mode as default rather than on-off is probably significant there.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dark Souls 2 and 3 are very good

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

StabMasterArson posted:

The Switch will be remembered as the system that had all the games from previous generations and not much else

also known as a cheap Android box

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The interface and loading times were pretty awful too.

i had a wii u on release and it took minutes to get to the menu where you could choose to start a game for at least a year. nintendo eventually worked around this by patching in a launcher running on the gamepad that'd let you directly launch the game rather than waiting for the menu to open, but it's still completely retarded how bad the os was when the console launched.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Rutibex posted:

also known as a cheap Android box

A cheap android box except even kairosoft games cost :10bux:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Switch should include an App Store that allows emulators like Android.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

i had a wii u on release and it took minutes to get to the menu where you could choose to start a game for at least a year. nintendo eventually worked around this by patching in a launcher running on the gamepad that'd let you directly launch the game rather than waiting for the menu to open, but it's still completely retarded how bad the os was when the console launched.

It's like Nintendo made the Switch succeed by looking at every feature of the Wii U and going 'don't do that' to 90% of them.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Dark Souls 2 and 3 are very good

Wow how unpopular

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I don’t give a gently caress what anyone says the airboat section of Half Life 2 was fun.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The largest JP gaming magazine surveyed its readers for their favorite games of the current Imperial era (1989-2019).

Top 3: Chrono Trigger, Breath of the Wild, Nier: Automata

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Terranigma is better than Chrono Trigger.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've tried ranking SNES RPGs but I find it's much easier and more enjoyable to just bask in the overall warm glow that is the entirety of SNES RPGs

e: Mystic Quest tho that game gets a lot of crap but for some reason I still like it

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

Terranigma is better than Chrono Trigger.

Terranigma has wild, wild balance issues and the premise was executed better in Soul Blazer it's trash! it's trash!! aaaahh

i like the gameplay choice of hitting a boss for 1 damage 450 times, or grinding for two levels and suddenly hitting it for 25 damage

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I've tried ranking SNES RPGs but I find it's much easier and more enjoyable to just bask in the overall warm glow that is the entirety of SNES RPGs

This but PSX RPG's for me.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

bring back the Secret Mana series as a cool 3d top down action adventure rpg, rabites are awesome enemies

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

bring back the Secret Mana series as a cool 3d top down action adventure rpg, rabites are awesome enemies

the Mana series has already been dragged to death and any mark it can still make on this world will come pressing on its lifeless corpse

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bonaventure posted:

Terranigma has wild, wild balance issues and the premise was executed better in Soul Blazer it's trash! it's trash!! aaaahh

i like the gameplay choice of hitting a boss for 1 damage 450 times, or grinding for two levels and suddenly hitting it for 25 damage

Yeah that's true. When I originally played it as a kid I somehow ended up severely underleveled and beat the game at something like level 27, I dunno how I ended up that way but I did. I hit the final boss for only 1 damage at a time and didn't get that I could lure him down by turning my back to him, so I basically just learned his pattern until I could defeat him by using up all of my items and fighting him for 40 minutes. Doing that and being rewarded with that ending was loving cool though, probably my best memory from playing SNES games.

Even with the balance stuff, I still think it's a great game just by virtue of presentation and the way fights feel actually fun.

If I had to remake the game somehow I'd probably ditch the levels and base the whole thing about weapon effects. I'd make the magic rings more active and incorporated into the combo system that already exists in the game, like if you equip a fire ring and do that one move where you mash the attack button to stand in place and attack fast, maybe your pike would shoot small flames or something that you can use to do a fast ranged attack, or other things like that. Then I'd use a Zelda style MP system where ammo is dropped by enemies instead of the dumb magirock system. It should feel more like a Castlevania game where you gradually unlock more moves that you can use strategically, rather than just gain levels to make numbers go up.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah, Terranigma pretty much falls apart as a game and is broken and lame. The presentation seems amazing at first but tons of the midgame feels completely half-baked and I couldn't get myself to keep playing when I last got fairly far in.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The balance stuff mostly applies to the bosses though, the one for which it's most true is Bloody Mary, for whom you have to cross a crucial level threshold to be able to hit for more than 1 damage at a time, and then hit for a lot.

Most of the regular fights are fine if you level naturally and don't grind, even most of the other bosses.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah that's true. When I originally played it as a kid I somehow ended up severely underleveled and beat the game at something like level 27, I dunno how I ended up that way but I did. I hit the final boss for only 1 damage at a time and didn't get that I could lure him down by turning my back to him, so I basically just learned his pattern until I could defeat him by using up all of my items and fighting him for 40 minutes. Doing that and being rewarded with that ending was loving cool though, probably my best memory from playing SNES games.

This reminds me of when I somehow beat the last boss of Final Fantasy 7 despite my only living character being Vincent, in Limit Break, with Mini cast on him. (aka my only guy was stuck in mindless-attack mode, doing 1 damage per hit).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

Most of the regular fights are fine if you level naturally and don't grind, even most of the other bosses.
I pretty much found every other fight gave me no reason to use anything other than the jump slide attack thing over and over. It's not aggressively terrible but there's not a whole lot going on.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Still better than Chrono Trigger with its snoozefest battles! At least you get to move around freely and avoid fights if you want to.

Terranigma has some really strong sequences, waking up in Louran to find that everyone's dead feels genuinely scary, especially since the town looked so friendly at first. Beluga wiping out a city with a virus, the Incan ruins peyote trip, the penguin village in Greenland, just lots of great sequences and lots of attention to detail with only a minimum of RPG cliches. I still think it's unique.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shibawanko posted:

The balance stuff mostly applies to the bosses though, the one for which it's most true is Bloody Mary, for whom you have to cross a crucial level threshold to be able to hit for more than 1 damage at a time, and then hit for a lot.

you're supposed to fight bloody mary with magic but the room the boss fight takes place in is accidentally flagged as a town, so you can't use magic in that battle

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

you're supposed to fight bloody mary with magic but the room the boss fight takes place in is accidentally flagged as a town, so you can't use magic in that battle

I think you're misremembering, you can't use magic in any of the other boss fights but you can actually use magic against Bloody Mary but most rings are not effective. I think you have to use one of the lightning ones and it's one of the effective ways to beat her, but most players don't expect to be able to do it because none of the other bosses up to that point allow you to do it and magic is irrelevant for most of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
maybe i'm just too good at video games because every single area in Terranigma, before i gave up on it (i actually beat Bloody Mary but the world-spanning fetch quests after that bored me to death) i apparently reached earlier than i should have and they would have at least one major enemy type that only took 1 damage from attacks when i first entered it and every single boss took only 1 damage from attacks when i first encountered them. i was constantly having to break the pace of the game to grind until i could do any damage at all to either mobs or bosses.

i read about using magic against Bloody Mary and i was so 'underleveled' when i got to her that even that only did 1 damage!