Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

Because what Obama did was an emergency stop gap for a rising problem of children crossing the borders by themselves. Trumps is stopping the whole family, tear them apart and hold the children indefinitely in poo poo conditions with abusive staff while shipping the parents back south and telling them to pound sand when it comes to getting the kids back

No, it wasn't a stop gap, it was policy. Obama was stopping whole families, and then arguing in court that they should be able to detain the whole family indefinitely. When the courts decided that the Obama administration couldn't indefinitely detain children along with their parents, the Obama administration decided to make essentially sham asylum hearings to speed up deportations, and in the cases where there were more serious issues, like parents with felonies, they did family separation. Of course, felonies that could lead to family separation included having a prior deportation and being found within the US.

https://www.vox.com/2014/8/6/5971003/families-together-detention-separate-ice

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article213525764.html

As for Honduras, that Clinton supported the coup and did everything in her power to grant it legitimacy and provide diplomatic cover has already been pretty well established.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Triskelli posted:

I want the house to be replaced with a parliamentarian system if only so we can send a 6’5” dude with a big mace to the IRS building to collect those documents.

We do already have sergeants-at-arms (one with a mace and one with a gavel), so this could in theory happen. I don't think either of them are as imposing as the British one, though.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1120642318178983936?s=19

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Radish posted:

Honestly I think we are past the event horizon where the theocratic fascists have figured out they don't need any sort of majority support as long as they just do whatever they want and are supported by the other people in power with similar views leading to them maintaining power depite being very unpopular. It's just going to be a steady retraction of rights based on the whims of a bunch of primary voters in Texas and Ohio we thought couldn't be taken away politically until something snaps in an incredibly destructive way.

The old status quo was terrible so I don't really care to return to it but I think we are in for much worse.

I've never been an accelerationist, but at this point we feel so far deep that the only way out is through.

But we have a long way yet :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Easy Diff posted:

Charles Audubon personally shot and killed every bird he drew for his library.

It's ok there were a poo poo-ton of birds back then

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Easy Diff posted:

Even the hummingbirds? Must've been a hell of a sharpshooter.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I've never been an accelerationist, but at this point we feel so far deep that the only way out is through.

But we have a long way yet :(

Yeah same. We are having accelerationism thrust on us regardless of if we want it or not since the entire Republican party (including all the Serious types we've been told are reasonable and love maintaining systems) wants to push as hard as they can to full fascism regardless of popular support and the Democratic party is too busy wringing their hands and claiming dogs can't play basketball and begging rich guys to give them money in exchange for continuing to do nothing that will upset them in the slightest.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

That's a hell of a caveat.

edit: Not that I think this is "the end of the rule of law as we know it" either.

You can say a lot of things about HW but never let it be said that he wasnt terrifyingly effective at everything except being reelected. If he wanted something covered up then Congress would never have known they should be issuing subpoenas to begin with and if they did get a whiff of something then he could make sure they didn't get the info they wanted quietly

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

i am harry posted:

God drat guns are so loving stupid and so are all those who use them.

Your point is noted, but sometimes you gotta kill fifty herons at once. Those fancy hats won’t make themselves.

E: wow okay, edit is not quote

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 23, 2019

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I advise everyone to read this:
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v41/n02/seymour-m-hersh/the-vice-presidents-men

HW was behind Iran Contra being revealed because he didn't like Reagans CIA head. Meanwhile he was running his own covert ops without any legal authority and without Reagan, Congress, the Joint Chiefs, or the head of the CIA knowing. And it only leaked out after he died because only then were people willing to talk about it

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Triskelli posted:

I take it you’ve never heard of Punt Guns:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Easy Diff posted:

true but the modern idea of "lets keep animals alive either in nature or in captivity so they can conserved for the world" is extremely modern idea that was birthed out of these dudes. the early conservationists basicaly believed it was better to kill them and preserve them in a museum than let them get ground up by some corporation.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

cr0y posted:

Also today is the deadline for the IRS to turn over Trumps tax returns. We heard anything about that lately?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true but the modern idea of "lets keep animals alive either in nature or in captivity so they can conserved for the world" is extremely modern idea that was birthed out of these dudes. the early conservationists basicaly believed it was better to kill them and preserve them in a museum than let them get ground up by some corporation.

Yeah. Without Roosevelt, Audubon, etc., we don't have today's WWF, Sierra Club, so forth.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Though I think it came out this year the WWF was doing some sick poo poo

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

i am harry posted:

Just lol if you don't want a bird apocalypse cannon.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah, apparently all their wrestlers are classified as private contractors to avoid paying for health insurance and other benefits.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

"Some" sick poo poo is an understatement

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah, apparently all their wrestlers are classified as private contractors to avoid paying for health insurance and other benefits.

And that whole....unpleasantness..... with Chris Benoit.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

as well as women who have had abortions.

WHAT THE gently caress

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Yes, surely tariffs are the reason for any of HD's financial woes, not that fact that they market exclusively towards a dying generation while pushing a product designed to kill them faster.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's so absurd on its face that wrestlers are 1099. Literally the first two things that are required to be 1099 is "doesn't use employers equipment" and "doesn't have to report to a specific location at a specified time" and wrestlers have to wrestle in WWE's ring on Monday Night from 8-11.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/22/us-un-resolution-rape-weapon-of-war-veto

Is this real? I don't even know anymore. I think I've about had enough of this world.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

as well as women who have had abortions.

WHAT THE gently caress

Time to start drinking.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

like backflips and stuff

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Travic posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/22/us-un-resolution-rape-weapon-of-war-veto

Is this real? I don't even know anymore. I think I've about had enough of this world.

Of course it's real. At this point, it's hardly even surprising.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah being complicit in murders as a non-profit should probably get more attention

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Are we talking about wildlife or wrestling? I'm so confused.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Darko posted:

Are we talking about wildlife or wrestling? I'm so confused.

The original poster mentioned WWF, a person made what I believe is a joke, the rest of the thread decided to be mind-bendingly stupid and now we're talking about wrestling

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One other thing that has been bothering me lately. What is it with certain leftists that are so fixated by foreign policy that they never once bring up domestic stuff?

I mean they rant constantly against the Democrats for having blood on their hands like the Republicans, but they are silent about any kind of positive domestic policy changes.

I just don't get it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Confounding Factor posted:

One other thing that has been bothering me lately. What is it with certain leftists that are so fixated by foreign policy that they never once bring up domestic stuff?

I mean they rant constantly against the Democrats for having blood on their hands like the Republicans, but they are silent about any kind of positive domestic policy changes.

I just don't get it.

Who?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tayter Swift posted:

Yes, surely tariffs are the reason for any of HD's financial woes, not that fact that they market exclusively towards a dying generation while pushing a product designed to kill them faster.

its both, harleys are a prestige brand for small dick boomers as well as harley davidson was specifically targeted by EU tariffs as a response to trump's tariffs

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1011360410648416258

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1028626569475051522

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

theflyingorc posted:

The original poster mentioned WWF, a person made what I believe is a joke, the rest of the thread decided to be mind-bendingly stupid and now we're talking about wrestling

I wasn't joking about the wildlife foundation. Since bad stuff came out recently

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ytZJqNC&ampcf=1

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's nobody in particular, just an observation I've made. Wonder if anyone has seen the same thing. I have a buddy on my FB who constantly shares foreign news in between bashing the prior administrations foreign policy. He's a self-described leftist, but hardly says anything about what's going on in America. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if America got nuked or something.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

I wasn't joking about the wildlife foundation. Since bad stuff came out recently

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ytZJqNC&ampcf=1

I was unclear, the next poster after you was making a joke

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I just don't get it.

you're apparently bothered by a lot of poo poo that results in you just asking questions

But im sure theres nothing to that.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RuanGacho posted:

you're apparently bothered by a lot of poo poo that results in you just asking questions

But im sure theres nothing to that.

Nah this is something I am genuinely curious about.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Easy Diff posted:

It's so absurd on its face that wrestlers are 1099. Literally the first two things that are required to be 1099 is "doesn't use employers equipment" and "doesn't have to report to a specific location at a specified time" and wrestlers have to wrestle in WWE's ring on Monday Night from 8-11.

1099s are an industry wide thing

generally in the case of WWE, they're under a general booking contract which gives WWE the right of first refusal for outside bookings and pay them a flat rate for that, and incentivize people to go to shows rather than order them directly by paying a bonus per show for appearing

it's really not as clear cut as a lot of people think it is

There Bias Two posted:

50/50 on that, they have insurance for dealing with injuries occurred on the job/in the ring

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 23, 2019

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

luxury handset posted:

its both, harleys are a prestige brand for small dick boomers as well as harley davidson was specifically targeted by EU tariffs as a response to trump's tariffs

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1011360410648416258

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1028626569475051522

Two avatars of the failures of the Boomer generation fighting it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nah this is something I am genuinely curious about.
A lot of people don't have any opinion on politics except "America bad!" which leads then to do dumb poo poo like stan for Assad and be totally unable to have a position on domestic issues because all domestic issues are America and America is bad.