Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Are you playing the campaign? How did you get the option to settle on new islands? I'm farther than that and haven't unlocked it yet.

I'm starting to hit a point where my growth is really stagnant but I don't have the required fertilization to make anything to raise happiness, and I'm also starting to just run out of space in general (unless I build stuff near where there are future resources like oil)

Just drive a ship up to the beach of any island and you can settle it at any point in the campaign once you have a ship. It's kinda different from the past in that the building ghost shows up when a ship is in range, then you click on the ghost and tell it build a trading post. You'll need 10 steel and 20 wood on the ship to build it iirc.

It's a really poorly documented system and the campaign never tells you how to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Omnicarus posted:

Just drive a ship up to the beach of any island and you can settle it at any point in the campaign once you have a ship. It's kinda different from the past in that the building ghost shows up when a ship is in range, then you click on the ghost and tell it build post. You'll need 10 steel and 20 wood on the ship to build it iirc.

It's a really poorly documented system and the campaign never tells you how to do it.

Oh my god I could have so many islands by now

Is trading between my own islands to make sure everyone has goods to make them happy just as simple as setting up a trade route like I would with another civ?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

IcePhoenix posted:

Is trading between my own islands to make sure everyone has goods to make them happy just as simple as setting up a trade route like I would with another civ?

Yeah I don't know why the hell they didn't explain how to settle islands even in the More Guidance setting, especially since in 2070 that was literally the first thing they taught.

And I think so? I haven't actually set up trade routes with other civs but I think it uses the same menu, that Trade Routes button under the minimap. You go in there, click to set up a new route, then pick two islands, what you're loading and unloading, and a ship to handle it. Bam, trade route.

Here's a little secret tip, for the future: steel takes a long time to set up, and longer to get it produced in bulk. HOWEVER, Archie Blake sells steel. In the campaign he starts selling steel really early, not immediately after you meet him but a quest stage or two after that. For the investment of a few thousand bucks you can get enough steel to settle an island or two and REALLY get the jump on the competition.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I have a lot of steel due to "what the hell do I need to start settling new islands oh well I guess it'll unlock eventually" syndrome lol. But I appreciate the tip for future playthroughs!

Seriously though my capacity is at 250 (current max) and the only thing that isn't capped is bricks because I used a bunch to build some stuff and upgrade the rest of my roads shortly before quitting last night.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's kind of dumb that I'll get negative press if I'm in the red for bankruptcy even though I have ~2m in the bank. I'm finding myself pretty frequently in the red but selling ships makes me more than enough money to stay afloat and overcome any deficit.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

IcePhoenix posted:

Couple additional things for putting down new harbors: you can have more building materials than the harbor building needs on the boat when you make it and it’ll automatically be in the trading post when it’s built. Also you can relocate your harbor building to any part of the coast once it’s built so don’t feel like it has to be perfect (this is true everywhere).

For trading between islands it gets complicated when both islands need the goods, like schnapps or whatever. The ships pick up a specific amount each trip with no awareness of island need or supply, so if you’re picking up too much or too little you can starve out one island over time. The easy way is shipping like 20 items, eyeballing how much they the stockpile drops between boat trips, and setting it like 1-3 above that amount.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 23, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

IcePhoenix posted:

Seriously though my capacity is at 250 (current max)
In the worker tier of buildings, under the shipyard stuff, there is a shoreline building called a depot (icon is a wooden box) you can build that increases your trading port storage capacity. You can build multiple depots.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mazz posted:

For trading between islands it gets complicated when both islands need the goods, like schnapps or whatever. The ships pick up a specific amount each trip with no awareness of island need or supply, so if you’re picking up too much or too little you can starve out one island over time. The easy way is shipping like 20 items, eyeballing how much they the stockpile drops between boat trips, and setting it like 1-3 above that amount.

Yeah, I really wish there was a way for me to say "don't take items if it would drop below X" like the sell orders you can do.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

In the worker tier of buildings, under the shipyard stuff, there is a shoreline building called a depot (icon is a wooden box) you can build that increases your trading port storage capacity. You can build multiple depots.

Cool, thanks!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

My income meter fluctuates from =16,000 to -4,000 , what the hell is going on. Is that number like an average over a period of time so if you buy a lot of stuff it tanks real fast?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

explosivo posted:

It's kind of dumb that I'll get negative press if I'm in the red for bankruptcy even though I have ~2m in the bank. I'm finding myself pretty frequently in the red but selling ships makes me more than enough money to stay afloat and overcome any deficit.

That's the way it was in 1701 and they felt it was an exploit, thus you have to keep your actual income in the black.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

BadLlama posted:

My income meter fluctuates from =16,000 to -4,000 , what the hell is going on. Is that number like an average over a period of time so if you buy a lot of stuff it tanks real fast?

Usually indicates that your production chain is too tight; ie you are barely providing enough of either a need or especially a happiness item. Check your chains and see what's not being stored in the warehouse and produce more of that.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

BadLlama posted:

You are probably not producing sufficient booze.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah I am having issue supplying enough fur coats and rum. I don't understand how my civilization can function since they are all god drat alcoholics.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
You may also be producing 'enough' of something but the wind changes and doubles your resupply time which causes a temporary shortage.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

BadLlama posted:

Yeah I am having issue supplying enough fur coats and rum. I don't understand how my civilization can function since they are all god drat alcoholics.

The happiness items are really income sensitive, and having lots of them all the time will raise your income. How are you doing your trade routes? And you might want to check one of the calculators to see how much happiness stuff you really need, it's usually more than you think.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thom12255 posted:

You may also be producing 'enough' of something but the wind changes and doubles your resupply time which causes a temporary shortage.
Yeah, even before wind mechanics in older games I always denied the goods until I sat on on a decent supply in the warehouse, so I could give them access and basically forget about it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
At least with beer it’s usually pretty easy to scale up, Rum seems to exist just to piss everyone off.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If you buy Rum from the old world NPC to keep your supply up does that net out or do you get a lose? I try to run the 15% consumption tax whenever I can.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah Rum/Schnapps is usually why my meter goes into the red when it does, people get unhappy when I'm not paying attention because Rum is running low and start moving out in droves which makes my housing income plummet rapidly. Then it's always fun trying to adjust for that while my population is also in the red :sigh:

Is there a good explanation of how to achieve the influence bonuses like the expansion bonus and the military bonus? The tooltip talks about investors but I have no idea what that means, and seems to imply that spending influence on things related to that category makes it go up but I have no idea how that whole mechanic works. I have a few bonuses now but got them by basically just playing the game as I normally would.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Bonuses come in as a combination reward and compensation for sinking enough of your influence into a category. So for military, you can only run so many points of ships "for free". If you keep building warships you start spending influence to build them to reflect how much of your society you're focusing on botes.

However, if you spend enough influence in one area your society starts really molding around this field of focus, producing big bonuses. So if you build enough warships your sailors start getting really good at fighting from all the practice and the size of the institutions supporting them, and you get global +5% to attack speed.

In other words, influence is a way to specialize your entire society.

The tooltip mentions Investors because usually you get influence from larger overall global population at a fairly meager rate. Investors supercharge that. In addition to making shitloads of money, Investor pops generate Influence just by existing.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 23, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The other key thing about influence to understand is that it’s a pool and everything that uses it returns to that pool when it stops. If you have 350 influence, you can spend 300 on a 1000 ship Navy, but when you sell or lose that Navy, you get the 300 back. Same with newspapers, island shares, etc.

Everything that costs it mentions it on the tooltips, mostly any military related or the buff buildings like trade unions.

Each investor house that exists add 1 influence, regardless of if you’re meeting their needs.

1800 isn’t entirely predicated around direct growth through population like the previous games, but influence quietly gives that same incentive.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 23, 2019

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the info, I guess I haven't gotten to the point where investor houses are a thing because I haven't seen those yet. So as for the permanent bonuses like the increased production rate, or the expansion bonus that goes through Bronze/Silver/Gold, are those just increased by spending the influence you have on related things? Like, Military goes up by building ships and spending influence points to do so?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

explosivo posted:

Thanks for the info, I guess I haven't gotten to the point where investor houses are a thing because I haven't seen those yet. So as for the permanent bonuses like the increased production rate, or the expansion bonus that goes through Bronze/Silver/Gold, are those just increased by spending the influence you have on related things? Like, Military goes up by building ships and spending influence points to do so?

I do believe once you hit the tiers they remain forever, but don’t quote me on that yet since I keep restarting my games to improve my early game still and don’t remember offhand. And yeah just spending in that category is how it works. Maintenance is trade unions/harbormasters, trade is trade ships, military is warships and defenses, etc.

The bottom one is spending on opponent island shares and the reward is free workforce of every class that also shares over commuters docks on every island. It’s extremely good.

Influence is pretty limited overall though so spending it efficiently becomes more and more important. Maximizing each placed trade union value and such.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 23, 2019

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Mazz posted:

I do believe once you hit the tiers they remain forever, but don’t quote me on that yet since I keep restarting my games to improve my early game still and don’t remember offhand. And yeah just spending in that category is how it works. Maintenance is trade unions/harbormasters, trade is trade ships, military is warships and defenses, etc.

The bottom one is spending on opponent island shares and the reward is free workforce of every class that also shares over commuters docks on every island. It’s extremely good.

You lose the bonus if you drop below that level's influence requirement, i.e. if you sell your navy down to 3 ships you'll lose all the military influence bonuses.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I really wish this game had more charts and graphs. How many boats do I need to optimize my trade routes, for example? Bah.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Omnicarus posted:

You lose the bonus if you drop below that level's influence requirement, i.e. if you sell your navy down to 3 ships you'll lose all the military influence bonuses.

Okay, I think the island shares stuff just confused me then. I couldn’t tell how that was working w/r/t to my own islands and bought islands.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

totalnewbie posted:

I really wish this game had more charts and graphs. How many boats do I need to optimize my trade routes, for example? Bah.

I wish they put more of the functionality of all the spreadsheets that people make to calculate the needs of their pops, etc into the game. Would that ruin the game?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the stats building will help a lot with that stuff. as much as people hated 2205, the interface for 'which sector is importing/exporting what to which other sector and what are the imbalances' was crystal clear

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah I started a game of 2205 last night because I owned it but apparently never played it. I could just hover over a good and it would tell me the production rate versus the consumption rate and that owned. I don't recall seeing this in 1800, can you do that?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I need ONE line graph that shows all currently stored materials that I can filter things out of to easily spot when something is on the decline. It's really easy to miss that poo poo until it's too late. Bonus points if I can pin it to the UI to keep an eye on things without having to be in a menu to see it but that probably won't happen.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

boar guy posted:

the stats building will help a lot with that stuff. as much as people hated 2205, the interface for 'which sector is importing/exporting what to which other sector and what are the imbalances' was crystal clear

The thing that annoys me most is that they fixed this already. Did literally nobody involved work on or play the previous games? How did it devolve this bad?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BadLlama posted:

Yeah I started a game of 2205 last night because I owned it but apparently never played it. I could just hover over a good and it would tell me the production rate versus the consumption rate and that owned. I don't recall seeing this in 1800, can you do that?

This is how 2205 handled resources which was why people were not really into it compared to the other Anno games. They never give you a number of how many juice boxes you have, just whether or not you're in a surplus or a deficit. I really liked that because it streamlined things quite a bit but "diehards" weren't into this because it's different and "dumbed down" from previous games. It'd be neat if you could toggle between settings in 1800.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

BadLlama posted:

i don't see it in 1800 either.

do yourself a favor. play it on the hardest difficulty, but quit when something frustrates you. there are combinations of stuff they tacked on that will wreck a 40 hour old game in 5 minutes and can't be countered.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I don’t need the game to simplify the logistics, I do think that’s a pretty big part of the game so I get that “problem” in 2205. My issue is really just that they present either very poorly defined data or gently caress all. Numbers are hidden in tooltips or have no explanation. Expenses is a mouseover with literally no detail. You can’t click though multiple production buildings to see them. There’s not even a loving ship timer for the trade routes.

All of this poo poo is just absent this time and “the most basic of loving logistics data” being a later DLC feature does not sit well with me at all.

hosed up part is the Anno portion is good enough I’m still going to play it all my free time.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 23, 2019

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

BadLlama posted:

they are all god drat alcoholics.

Germans

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mazz posted:

The thing that annoys me most is that they fixed this already. Did literally nobody involved work on or play the previous games? How did it devolve this bad?

Apparently there were complaints it made the game too easy. Not everyone optimizes Mazz :v:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Mazz posted:

I don’t need the game to simplify the logistics, I do think that’s a pretty big part of the game so I get that “problem” in 2205. My issue is really just that they present either very poorly defined data or gently caress all. Numbers are hidden in tooltips or have no explanation. Expenses is a mouseover with literally no detail. You can’t click though multiple production buildings to see them. There’s not even a loving ship timer for the trade routes.

All of this poo poo is just absent this time and “the most basic of loving logistics data” being a later DLC feature does not sit well with me at all.

hosed up part is the Anno portion is good enough I’m still going to play it all my free time.

I agree. It's not just a lack of progress, the UI is an actual step backwards even compared to 1404. What few new features we got are half assed, like a trade route warning there's a "minor problem" - ok, great but what is the actual problem? Unless I'm missing something there's not even a tooltip on the little exclamation mark you get to tell you what the problem is. It could be over production, under production, or insufficient shipping capacity, but you won't know until you look at the route for a bit to figure it out.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mazz posted:

The statistics building is going to be "free content" in a future patch.

So is god drat co-op mode. I bought this game to play with a friend co-op, like Anno 1404. There's so much to do, especially by the time you get engineers with oil and building up new world resources, that it can be pretty overwhelming. We ended up playing two different allied factions and it sucked. We were just silently sitting there micromanaging everything, rather than chatting about stuff as we played. There was one time that she was running out of money and I was just fine, and so she was stressed and there was nothing I could do about it. No way to gift money. Eventually I came up with the idea of her selling me an expensive doodad that I would then drop in the harbor for her to pick up and sell again, but she was too busy actually fixing poo poo to waste time to do that.

I couldn't find any way to give resources at all. Just sell them at fixed prices. So we couldn't even integrate or specialize our economies. We were basically just playing single player at the same time as each other.

Anno 1800 is already one of my favorite games ever, but multiplayer is only going to be really worthwhile to me once there's a real co-op mode.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mayveena posted:

Apparently there were complaints it made the game too easy. Not everyone optimizes Mazz :v:

It’s more they just didn’t include anything this time, 2205 might’ve be too much for the grogs but 1800 doesn’t even have some of the basic important stuff that was there in 1701 or 1404. As much as I like to optimize I also like when the game isn’t obtuse about stuff, which is what I find 1800s core “problem” to be.

Also, just in case, you may have misread that, I meant the 1800 devs dropping the ball, not saying people here are wrong. I didn’t word it that well.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mazz posted:

It’s more they just didn’t include anything this time, 2205 might be too much for the grogs but 1800 does even have some of the basic important stuff that was there in 1701 or 1404. As much as I like to optimize I also like when the game isn’t obtuse about stuff, which is what I find 1800s core “problem” to be.

It fucks me up as well that they went all the way back to make a "classic" Anno but didn't continue where 1404 left off, but apparently found the need to reinvent everything from the bottom and gently caress things up in the process, needin another 2 DLCs and 3 follow up games to make up for that. 1404 was almost perfect.