Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Waltzing Along posted:

I communicated this to one of the admins and they basically said: if we don't treat the sellers right they won't sell here so there won't be anything to buy. :rolleyes:

It sucks but it kind of makes sense. Ebay is pretty much a flea market where random people sell their old crap. There are actual stores and whatnot, but it was built on people having an online garage sale. You have to keep buyers happy because there will always be a new stream of people who will consider selling old stuff on ebay. You can't really go anywhere to buy specific lego pieces you want besides sites like bricklink or brickowl. Even pick a brick is a limited selection and you can't buy old pieces they don't make anymore. Buyers will always show up, so you have to keep sellers happy or they will just give up, and find some other way to make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are definitely more buyer friendly things they can implement.

Buyer makes payment, automatically gets positive feedback. Like on ebay. Once paid, the buyer has done their job, they shouldn't have to wait for good feedback.

Standardized fees. It's ridiculous all the poo poo some sellers add on. I get that shipping is all over the place, but many sellers just add arbitrary "nothing" fees to every sale just to add some profit. Most also add PP fees in. That should totally be on the seller as cost of doing business.

BL also needs to have a better feedback system. Was the used set 100% complete? In my experience it's 50/50 that the seller actually did do a parts count. I think that should be required along with a checklist showing they did their due diligence.

These are small things that are fairly easy to implement that make for a better sales environment.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Is the Ghostbusters car the 21108 Ecto-1? If it is and it’s new in box I’ll make you an offer. I gave up on eBay. Trying to buy Lego on eBay is frustrating as hell.

Yeah, it is. I have both actually. I don't have platinum obviously to continue this conversation but shoot me an email at igeighty8420@gmail. I've got a good eBay seller account too that you'd be able to reference. If you rather wait, I will compose a list of what's available between tonight and tomorrow since it's kinda long.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

There are definitely more buyer friendly things they can implement.

Buyer makes payment, automatically gets positive feedback. Like on ebay. Once paid, the buyer has done their job, they shouldn't have to wait for good feedback.

Standardized fees. It's ridiculous all the poo poo some sellers add on. I get that shipping is all over the place, but many sellers just add arbitrary "nothing" fees to every sale just to add some profit. Most also add PP fees in. That should totally be on the seller as cost of doing business.

BL also needs to have a better feedback system. Was the used set 100% complete? In my experience it's 50/50 that the seller actually did do a parts count. I think that should be required along with a checklist showing they did their due diligence.

These are small things that are fairly easy to implement that make for a better sales environment.

This is why I feel like the idea of a la carte brick buying just isn't all that sustainable with an ebay format. Someone large enough needs to just create a site like Digikey or Fastenal where you can just pick out whatever pieces you want without having to deal with figuring out which store has what, what each store's minimum for each unique lot is, or what the minimum buy is. The auto cart is nice, but it still messes things up by creating a cart in a store where you're nowhere near the minimum buy. Or it picks a store where the part you wanted 5 of has a minimum of 20. There was one store where a guy had a minimum of 5 for one part, but he didn't even have 5. I needed 4 and he had 4, but I couldn't buy it because of his minimum. By the time he finally got back to me about lowering the minimum buy, I had already ordered from somewhere else. Beggars can't be choosers, but the system kind of sucks for everyone.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Since the thread is on the topic what's the appropriate way to sell an assembled set? I want to get rid of my Technic Chiron, it's fully assembled and I still have the original instructions and packaging.

Do buyers expect to get the completed set or do they want it disassembled somehow?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FBS posted:

Since the thread is on the topic what's the appropriate way to sell an assembled set? I want to get rid of my Technic Chiron, it's fully assembled and I still have the original instructions and packaging.

Do buyers expect to get the completed set or do they want it disassembled somehow?

1 - Sell it on CL, Offerup or Letgo.

or

2 - disassemble and do a piece count. Make sure it is 100%. Sell on ebay or BL.

I think it is worth more disassembled.

E: I would never pay as much for an assembled set as one that I get to build myself. It could be missing parts and the fun part is removed from the equation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

IG-88 posted:

Yeah, it is. I have both actually. I don't have platinum obviously to continue this conversation but shoot me an email at igeighty8420@gmail. I've got a good eBay seller account too that you'd be able to reference. If you rather wait, I will compose a list of what's available between tonight and tomorrow since it's kinda long.

Yeah please stick it here before you list it. I’d like to take a peek at what you have.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have never bought used sets off of Bricklink but the pieces I bought were almost always perfect. One time I had a slight issue where I ordered 10 common parts (1x1 cone bricks, white) and the seller only included 9, I messaged the seller but never heard anything and that was cheap enough I just don't care if he was trying to scam me out of 10 cents or not.

That said, my first order was about $70 worth or parts, from Germany, and I did not request tracking on the package, and that is the only order that I did not receive at all. I have since always made sure to require a tracking number on shipping, and I try to stick to North American sellers. In my opinion, I think if you place an order on Bricklink without a tracking number you are just throwing your money away, I have very little faith in the sellers to actually ship without a tracking number. It's anecdotal evidence, but has anyone actually received an order that was placed without requiring tracking? I wish I could say I trust Lego resellers, but considering how often I see stories of people stealing sets from stores or scamming retailers by returning empty boxes or other poo poo I simply find it very difficult to fully trust sellers on eBay or Bricklink. My conscious doesn't care one bit if my ABS crack is stolen, I just want to get the bricks I paid for.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I ordered some bits from Australia, didn't get any tracking and thought the order was lost. Since there's no tracking, no sense in messaging the person, because they wouldn't know anyway and they had already set it to shipped. It was a small order so I just added those pieces to another order I was doing later. Those pieces arrived and I made my thing and was done. Then a few days later, the package from Australia shows up. Maybe the cheapest shipping goes on a boat or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've done several orders from eruope and have done fine. I guarantee something someday will get screwed up but to this point I'm flawless!

I did have someone from Sweden forget to include a minifig I had ordered but a quick message on bricklink and they fixed it no questions asked.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
Hey guess what happens when the marketing director gives you a ~$1k budget to build a scale model of a company product for the big trade show?

Why yes that is a mindstorms kit embedded inside to make it run.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I always try to order from the US now because overseas takes so long.

But I have only had 2 issues with overseas orders:

1 - thailand. They sent my order then a day later emailed me to let me know that it was incomplete and they'd refund me the dollar or so for the missing piece. I was pretty pissed because I would have just cancelled and ordered elsewhere to do it in one go.

2 - I forget where, but the order arrived a month late. No tracking. Just disappeared but finally arrived.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I set to North America when searching just because it reduces the wait time and head aches. That said I’ve never had a problem the handful of times I’ve bought overseas. Domestic sellers have been mostly good. I opened a box that reeked of cigarette smoke once and left feedback and got some blustery blowback from the seller. Sometimes pieces show up dirty and unless I bought new bricks and they actually look new I usually wash the bricks anyway.

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe the cheapest shipping goes on a boat or something.

It certainly is. I ordered from a Chinese BrickLink seller and chose the cheapest option and it was like three months by boat.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I've never had any problem with bricklink, once I received an incomplete used set, but the seller did eventually send out the missing pieces.

Also, on an instagram story someone just leaked what appears to be a people pack of scientist types. I see some astronauts and other assorted researchers and engineer types. It's decent looking.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwj6Tqqp_W7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 22, 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pizza on a stick / treadmill guy is great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how future medical beds all have the same basic design.

That clean room minifig owns.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Welder working on a robot is good too. Also astronauts holding up an alien head while doing a TV interview? Yes.

Is that a guy in the lower left puking in a trash can? Interesting addition if so. I also noticed it says inspired by NASA careers. I want to be a trash puker at NASA.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Spider-Man sets out today. Also Toy Story 4 and a few more Lego Movie 2 sets.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Dogen posted:

Spider-Man sets out today. Also Toy Story 4 and a few more Lego Movie 2 sets.

Speaking of LM2, I had always heard there were supposed to be 2 additional sets and another CMF release, but they are nowhere to be found and that is a bummer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Scipiotik posted:

I want to be a trash puker at NASA.

Applicant must be willing to spend 20 hours a week in the centrifuge.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

And now better images of all of the space sets are leaking. I'm ambivalent towards most of them, except I like space station, can see hanging it above my city by fishing wire. For me the rocket launcher center is a big miss. No idea why there is a roller coaster.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwkDYK3pm57/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Astronauts are thrill seekers, dumbo

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
its clearly a shuttle for travel rather than thrill

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Scipiotik posted:

And now better images of all of the space sets are leaking. I'm ambivalent towards most of them, except I like space station, can see hanging it above my city by fishing wire. For me the rocket launcher center is a big miss. No idea why there is a roller coaster.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwkDYK3pm57/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

It’s odd since the creator shuttle already had a similar rover and a moon has sorta like the space station. I’m tempted by them because my kid keeps wanting to switch between the three builds, so she’d love this. People pack is awesome.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The theme is interesting but the models all consist of those big parts typical for playsets. I'd prefer more smaller bricks. Except the space station, there it looks great to uave solid "pods".

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Crotch Fruit posted:

has anyone actually received an order that was placed without requiring tracking? I wish I could say I trust Lego resellers, but considering how often I see stories of people stealing sets from stores or scamming retailers by returning empty boxes or other poo poo I simply find it very difficult to fully trust sellers on eBay or Bricklink.

I have literally never asked for tracking* for the around 300 purchases i have made on BL and every single one of them has arrived. I am in Northern Europe and try to order from european sellers.

Maybe it is the US postal system that is the problem

*A few have had tracking because some postal services add this by default, without some ridicilous price on it as well

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Kiavahr posted:

Hey guess what happens when the marketing director gives you a ~$1k budget to build a scale model of a company product for the big trade show?

Why yes that is a mindstorms kit embedded inside to make it run.

This thing is legit cool. Post some vids of it doing stuff!

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Instagram is awash with leaks about the stranger things set. 2200 pieces $200,, May for VIP apparently. I am running out of space for sets...and I have to sort everything.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Does it look cool? I assume its the house with a portal to the other world behind/under it?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Hopper posted:

Does it look cool? I assume its the house with a portal to the other world behind/under it?
Just info so far, no images.

Also, Brothers Brick has a review of Lowenstein Castle up for anybody who preordered or was interested in it.

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/04/22/lego-lowenstein-castle-from-bricklinks-afol-designer-program-review/

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carbohydrates posted:

Just info so far, no images.

Also, Brothers Brick has a review of Lowenstein Castle up for anybody who preordered or was interested in it.

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/04/22/lego-lowenstein-castle-from-bricklinks-afol-designer-program-review/

I'm sorry but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgTtgVC0G8A

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Stranger Things set? Way to capitalize on a show 2 years too late.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Stranger Things set? Way to capitalize on a show 2 years too late.

Season 3 comes out July 4th, so good way to get your product out timely for the new season?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WotC is releasing a Stranger Things branded D&D starter set soon, too.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
Have you seen the new "realistic" space sets? I think I want them all... https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/04/22/lego-city-is-going-to-outer-space-with-6-new-sets-for-summer-2019-news/

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

WotC is releasing a Stranger Things branded D&D starter set soon, too.

I think it’s out already one of my friends posted on Facebook that he got it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Scipiotik posted:

Instagram is awash with leaks about the stranger things set. 2200 pieces $200,, May for VIP apparently. I am running out of space for sets...and I have to sort everything.

I can’t find any pics, just the announcement ones.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
I hope it's a model of Will's house that sits up on a box and you can flip it over and it's the Upside-down version of the house on the other side.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
It's Brickheadz of the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Lol at the camera and minifigure not in a space suit in 60225. Is that a set faking the moon landing?