Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I really really hope that China will leave these resources in the ground. It would be irresponsible and foolish to burn all that coal, oil and gas. Let China lead by example, and unilaterally declare these deposits unavailable for extraction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

literally the only time i've heard Uigurs mentioned in the USA prior to this Weirdly Simultaneous outrage was from left voices pointing out the funny-sounding ethnic group we were holding in gitmo indefinitely without warrant or charge yet were not allowing to return home.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I really really hope that China will leave these resources in the ground. It would be irresponsible and foolish to burn all that coal, oil and gas. Let China lead by example, and unilaterally declare these deposits unavailable for extraction!

China is one of the leaders in the methanol economy

https://www.methanol.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/6.-Kai-Zhao-Methanol-Fuel-Blending-in-China.pdf

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

gradenko_2000 posted:

Added up - a million prisoners among a population of about 10 million, restrictions on growing beards or abstaining from tobacco and alcohol, systematic live organ harvesting - it starts to sound like the stuff of cheap Cold War movies. The purpose of this unchecked yet widely circulated narrative is to whip up a frenzy of moral outrage that can justify various forms of foreign interference in China's sovereign affairs.

It is possible (likely, in fact!) that both are simultaneously true: 1) China is abusing the Uyghur population in Xinjiang, and 2) "The West" is making it "a thing" in order to reinforce the narrative of China as a human rights abuser.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Amergin posted:

It is possible (likely, in fact!) that both are simultaneously true: 1) China is abusing the Uyghur population in Xinjiang, and 2) "The West" is making it "a thing" in order to reinforce the narrative of China as a human rights abuser.

no it isnt

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Finicums Wake posted:

also, i just read this new left review article about relations between america and china that some of you might find interesting:
https://newleftreview.org/issues/II115/articles/susan-watkins-america-vs-china

I attended a recent guest lecture about Chinese business practices in central Africa and why China has been generally good for the continent in a lot of ways. There were several professors attending who were mentally unable phrase their questions without referring to China as imperialists even though the lecturer gave them opportunities to rephrase and even scolded them. They just couldn't wrap their heads around it. It was cringey and I felt embarrassed for them

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Fleetwood posted:

I attended a recent guest lecture about Chinese business practices in central Africa and why China has been generally good for the continent in a lot of ways. There were several professors attending who were mentally unable phrase their questions without referring to China as imperialists even though the lecturer gave them opportunities to rephrase and even scolded them. They just couldn't wrap their heads around it. It was cringey and I felt embarrassed for them

https://twitter.com/sashasimic/status/1120237601913487361/photo/1

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im cool with going after religious nutjobs but china needs to be fair and go after all religions like theyre treating islam imo

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Unpack that a bit, chief.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Amergin posted:

Unpack that a bit, chief.

in Seattle we allow people to wallow on the street and feed their drug habit because putting them into structured rehabilitation is considered a violation of their civil rights

in rhode island drug addicts are sentenced to drug rehalibitation and its hailed as a success

when i lived in the ussr all the liberalization did was bring in a bunch of fascists and nationalist agitators to power. i had to get out of moldova because suddenly a bunch of romanian nationalists decided that russian shouldn't be spoken

i consider ethnic separatism a disease that requires structured treatment

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
[quote="Top City Homo" post=""494481801"]

[/quote]

thank you for your input, Mr. Netanyahu

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Top City Homo posted:

in Seattle we allow people to wallow on the street and feed their drug habit because putting them into structured rehabilitation is considered a violation of their civil rights

in rhode island drug addicts are sentenced to drug rehalibitation and its hailed as a success

when i lived in the ussr all the liberalization did was bring in a bunch of fascists and nationalist agitators to power. i had to get out of moldova because suddenly a bunch of romanian nationalists decided that russian shouldn't be spoken

Correct, there's nothing wrong with anti-nationalist (re)-education

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

im cool with going after religious nutjobs but china needs to be fair and go after all religions like theyre treating islam imo

China is fair in this regard: see Falun Dafa

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Typo posted:

China is fair in this regard: see Falun Dafa

But Shaolin, Taoist and Buddhist temples are pretty much unscathed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

thank you for your input, Mr. Netanyahu

Palestinians aren't separatists - it's the Israelis who are foreign invaders of another sovereign state.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Amergin posted:

not true lol

https://bitterwinter.org/the-war-on-buddhist-statues-continues/

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/policies-politics/article/2147929/china-orders-crackdown-large-outdoor-religious-statues

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Ah yes, destruction of existing mosques, forced re-education of muslims, restrictions on prayer is equivalent to

regulating the construction of new statues in an effort to stop the commercialization of Buddhism and Taoism.

Yeah okay.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Amergin posted:

Ah yes, destruction of existing mosques, forced re-education of muslims, restrictions on prayer is equivalent to

regulating the construction of new statues in an effort to stop the commercialization of Buddhism and Taoism.

Yeah okay.

https://bitterwinter.org/lao-tzu-statue-demolished-in-henan/

there's demolishing Taoist statue too it's not a double standard: CCP is dedicated to fight and minimize the damage done by unscientific superstition in all its forms

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Surely the contention lies with harmful beliefs and not with architecture, which constitutes humanity's shared inheritance?

China's heavyhanded anti religious policies may be as much as 30% bad.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
But there is a giant Guanyu statue so its okay.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Typo posted:

https://bitterwinter.org/lao-tzu-statue-demolished-in-henan/

there's demolishing Taoist statue too it's not a double standard: CCP is dedicated to fight and minimize the damage done by unscientific superstition in all its forms

Yeah, it was demolished because it was built illegally and not up to code. They did the same thing to a statue of Mao in Henan. Nothing to do with fighting religion.

You're going to sit here and say the "CCP is dedicated to fight and minimize the damage done by unscientific superstition in all its forms" when millions go to temples every year for prayers (including family of party members), TCM doctors are featured on CCTV giving unscientific advice, there are 5 officially approved religions, and many folks get time off for Qingming festival to go say prayers and burn paper money?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Imagine actually reading Typo posts. Tired gimmicks should be abolished.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Palestinians aren't separatists - it's the Israelis who are foreign invaders of another sovereign state.

Britain or Jordan?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Amergin posted:

i don't think that Taoists done much of anything since the yellow turban rebellion

the feudal buddhist theocrat dalai lama is suppressed and no one gives a poo poo about the shaolin :shrug:

also, christians are just as monitored as islamists

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lambert posted:

Imagine actually reading Typo posts. Tired gimmicks should be abolished.

I'd take 20 Typos over the GBS China thread.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Mantis42 posted:

Surely the contention lies with harmful beliefs and not with architecture, which constitutes humanity's shared inheritance?

China's heavyhanded anti religious policies may be as much as 30% bad.

statues suck

and religions are dumb

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Top City Homo posted:

statues suck

and religions are dumb

historical architecture: good

religion: bad

putting people into boarding schools with barbed wire: also bad

the problem is that the China watchers who are blowing the whistle on mistreatment of Muslims in China would probably tell you American mass incarceration is qualitatively different/not worth worrying about because ~*reasons*~

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Basically all world cultures and the entire span of ideological beliefs build statues. Liberals build statues, Nazis build statues, Communists build statues, etc etc. Statues being good and cool is as close to a universal value as there can be. Basically if you don't like statues there's something wrong with your brain.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Religion is fine imo as long as it doesn't warp into death cult territory.

Lightning Knight posted:

the problem is that the China watchers who are blowing the whistle on mistreatment of Muslims in China would probably tell you American mass incarceration is qualitatively different/not worth worrying about because ~*reasons*~

The us has an enormous amount of issues wrt prisons, yes. Both issues should be worked on!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Grapplejack posted:

The us has an enormous amount of issues wrt prisons, yes. Both issues should be worked on!

the problem is that the establishment portrays America as the shining beacon of global rights and China as evil James Bond villains when the reality is that we are just the last in a long line of empires.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

True. Honestly I'd love to see a stronger push for prison reform in the US but most dems either don't care, lean right on the issue, or want to privatise prisons in that casual neoliberal way.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Grapplejack posted:

True. Honestly I'd love to see a stronger push for prison reform in the US but most dems either don't care, lean right on the issue, or want to privatise prisons in that casual neoliberal way.

And therein lies the problem.

you can’t exactly throw stones at China when your house is made by prison labor

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Amergin posted:

Yeah, it was demolished because it was built illegally and not up to code. They did the same thing to a statue of Mao in Henan. Nothing to do with fighting religion.

You're going to sit here and say the "CCP is dedicated to fight and minimize the damage done by unscientific superstition in all its forms" when millions go to temples every year for prayers (including family of party members), TCM doctors are featured on CCTV giving unscientific advice, there are 5 officially approved religions, and many folks get time off for Qingming festival to go say prayers and burn paper money?

exactly so those forms of superstition is under firm supervision of the Communist Party thus the damage done by superstition is minimized. For example, Catholics are free to practice in China ever since Vatican agreed to respect Chinese sovereignty and allow compromise in selecting Bishops. Party supervision ensures superstition cannot be used as ideological basis by CIA and other foreign actors to instigate "Taiping Rebellion 2.0" or separatist "Mujahadeen". Obviously party works on eventually converting everybody into firm believer of state scientific atheism. But for the sake of harmonious society and harmonious world there is freedom of religion under party supervision.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Britain or Jordan?

I actually think the Israelis lost their claim of their old home after x years. The x year can be set to any common sense length but I will randomly throw a 500 year number there.

See if Jews can claim Israel land after 2000 years, so can the Hans claim the Xinjiang region since they were there before the Uyghurs.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Lightning Knight posted:

So are boarding schools wrong or the barbed wire?

I read about the denazification policies in the DDR. They worked very well. They weren’t implemented in the Baltics and the Ukraine and now it’s full of fascists

Liberalism is garbage and as far as I’m concerned there is nothing worse than allowing a dangerous separatist movement to grow in your backyard. It’s transparently a western funded agitation to destabilize China

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

tino posted:

I actually think the Israelis lost their claim of their old home after x years. The x year can be set to any common sense length but I will randomly throw a 500 year number there.

See if Jews can claim Israel land after 2000 years, so can the Hans claim the Xinjiang region since they were there before the Uyghurs.

I’ll let you in on a little secret

Might is the only determining factor in land claims

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
itt we unironically engage in realpolitik right wing rhetoric straight from Bibi to own the libs

also, something about China

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Top City Homo posted:

I read about the denazification policies in the DDR. They worked very well.

Ehhhhh the eastern part of Germany still is the most far right socially and very anti-immigrant afaik. Could chock that up to "economic anxiety"....

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
as we all know, native americans lost tgeir claim on american land after being genocided, their activists in the modern era should be dealt with via reeducation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

as we all know, native americans lost tgeir claim on american land after being genocided, their activists in the modern era should be dealt with via reeducation

CCP actually want native Americans from the Uyghurs though. The native Americans for all intended purpose has submitted to white dominance in the land they used to own. That's the main difference between Uyghurs and other Chinese monorities. There is no "Northern American Republican Army" anymore.