Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Speaking of drywall, quick question (burnt out on research codes after doing a bunch of electrical work) -- 8" gap between screws on the edge, 16" between screws in the middle, does that sound right? Or have random crappy Youtube videos lead me wrong? :downs:

:grovertoot:

sadus fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

sadus posted:

Speaking of drywall, quick question (burnt out on research codes after doing a bunch of electrical work) -- 8" gap between screws on the edge, 16" between screws in the middle, does that sound right? Or have random crappy Youtube videos lead me wrong? :downs:

:grovertoot:

I hear 7" and 12", but I might be thinking of ceiling drywall.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Are there any good appliance recommendation/review sites? We are moving into our first house in a couple of weeks and need a washer/dryer and water softener. Also, we have a patio on the side, but want to build out a wooden deck area around the back and have stairs down (Currently a good 12-18" drop to step onto the lawn). Would this be all local recommendations?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Consumer Reports is ok, but ymmv with washers and dryers. I bought mine from Costco and stacked 7 years of warranty on them.

For a water softener find a local company that uses a Clack valve and a quality tank. It shouldn’t cost more than 2500 dollars installed. There is zero reason to pay culligan or kinetico 7k for one.

I had a 2 cu ft 60k grain softener installed for about 1850 recently. High quality clack valve and enpress tank

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

When buying a washer and dryer (our house did come with them either), I read a buttload of reviews on various sites (don't remember which off the top of my head), and then we went to the local appliance dealer to buy and had a lovely experience with the purchase and delivery/installation.

We ended up with the Maytag Commercial beast machines (Maytag's answer to Speedqueen) and have been extremely pleased with them. Warranty is great, too.

Oh, and you might want to avoid Samsung - after we'd decided on the Maytags, I asked what the deal was with this space age wifi-enabled Samsung unit, and the sales lady started unloading - turns out all the salespeople hated the Samsungs because they were finicky, complicated, had a high rate of issues/repairs/failures, and getting parts for them is a pain in the rear end. When there's an appliance that an appliance salesperson wants to not sell you, that's a red flag.

For the deck, ask local friends and/or get on Angie's List/NextDoor referrals for contractors in your area.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Get a Miele set :retrogames:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I actually bought the fancy space age Samsung Flex washer and dryer last year and they’ve been problem free so far. I did make sure to get 7 years of warranty coverage on them though in case there were issues. I got a smoking deal on the pair during a sale at Costco.

We actually like them a lot, but I did take a huge gamble on them and probably wouldn’t recommend someone else do the same.

The smart features are neat and we actually use them.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Can anyone educate me about gravel driveways? Living out in the sticks has its benefits, but one major con is having a 1/2 mile shared unkempt gravel road kicking up dust everywhere. Anyway, my main issue is our actual driveway which is about 250ft long. Ideally, I would just get an asphalt driveway put in, but getting some quotes it would be around $8-10k. I can find asphalt installers no problem, what I can't find is someone to redo my gravel driveway or at least get quotes. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology or something when Googling.

From my preliminary research, a proper gravel driveway should be 3 layers. But it seems that when they built this house they just dumped gravel on top of the soil and just reapplied more gravel as needed.

tl;dr: who do I need to contact to get a nice gravel driveway estimate?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Etrips posted:

tl;dr: who do I need to contact to get a nice gravel driveway estimate?

Anyone with a tractor and box blade. In my area most landscapers (actual landscapers, not lawn cutters that call themselves landscapers) would do a job like that.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Motronic posted:

Anyone with a tractor and box blade. In my area most landscapers (actual landscapers, not lawn cutters that call themselves landscapers) would do a job like that.

Assuming it's just dumping gravel on top and then going it over with the box blade to level it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Etrips posted:

Assuming it's just dumping gravel on top and then going it over with the box blade to level it?

Pretty much (for a top dressing). If it's really been done wrong and in bad shape you might get a suggestion of putting down a base layer of "modified" (multiple sizes of rocks plus screenings that will lock together) and rolling those, then top dressing. Or something like that - it varies by area because the available materials and soil composition vary.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Motronic posted:

Pretty much (for a top dressing). If it's really been done wrong and in bad shape you might get a suggestion of putting down a base layer of "modified" (multiple sizes of rocks plus screenings that will lock together) and rolling those, then top dressing. Or something like that - it varies by area because the available materials and soil composition vary.

Excellent, I have something to go on now. Thank you again, Motronic.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Moved into a house with a gas dryer (previous dryer was electric so we left it behind) and it is super efficient. The only thing I miss is the steam function for getting out wrinkles.

Also the washer here is old as gently caress and has an agitator but it still runs great and does full loads in like 15 minutes. Aside from energy savings, is there any reason to upgrade this thing before it dies?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

So am I just the only one who went on Facebook Marketplace for their washer/dryer? :v:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Also the washer here is old as gently caress and has an agitator but it still runs great and does full loads in like 15 minutes. Aside from energy savings, is there any reason to upgrade this thing before it dies?

It's probably using 3-4x the amount of water that a modern HE washing machine uses, so that might be a good reason to upgrade even if it's still working.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

How much water does it take to dig up a bunch of gasoline, burn the gasoline mining iron ore, refine it into washing machine components, ship the components to a factory somewhere, build a new washing machine, box it up, ship it to the distributor and then have it delivered to my house, and transport my old one to a dump somewhere?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Droo posted:

How much water does it take to dig up a bunch of gasoline, burn the gasoline mining iron ore, refine it into washing machine components, ship the components to a factory somewhere, build a new washing machine, box it up, ship it to the distributor and then have it delivered to my house, and transport my old one to a dump somewhere?

If you cut yourself on the edginess of this post, I'd recommend running your washer with cold water, it will get the blood out better. :wtc:

OP said their washer was "old as gently caress" so it's not like I'm advocating tossing out something that's new and presumably has a long life ahead of it. I recently replaced my older washing machine that was using ~40gal of water per load to one that uses about 15. Saving water seems like a cool and good thing to do, imho.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Saving water seems like a cool and good thing to do, imho.

You seem to have missed my point - all the water your washing machine uses flows back into your sewage line and returns to the city to be treated and reused in a happy cycle. All the oil that got burned to pointlessly manufacture a new version of something you had that was working fine, on the other hand, is now gone or turned into CO2 and other bad things.

As far as the pure financial aspect of it, I pay about $0.05 for 25 gallons of water so assuming a nice new washer is about $750 I will break even after 15,000 loads.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I will say one of the downsides of an HE washer is the longer load times. Loads on my Samsung run anywhere from 55 minutes to almost 2 hours depending on what options I select.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

You can have gravel sprayed with some kind of demon oil to keep the dust down too

Drywall screw inspection and final electrical tomorrow, yay actually finishing projects!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Droo posted:

You seem to have missed my point - all the water your washing machine uses flows back into your sewage line and returns to the city to be treated and reused in a happy cycle. All the oil that got burned to pointlessly manufacture a new version of something you had that was working fine, on the other hand, is now gone or turned into CO2 and other bad things.

As far as the pure financial aspect of it, I pay about $0.05 for 25 gallons of water so assuming a nice new washer is about $750 I will break even after 15,000 loads.

And electricity , detergent , your time , the feel-good factor of saving natural resources (my sewer doesn’t recycle directly into my mouth, not sure about yours), as well as what’s probably a top loader’s agitator against a front loading drum.

To the OP, take Droo’s Model T to the store (still works fine!) when something that’s on sale that offers you an advantage is available. Check on parts availability for the unit you have and use the time you have to upgrade based on want versus immediate need.

Then use your old unit to build your own J-5

Partycat fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 23, 2019

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

sadus posted:

You can have gravel sprayed with some kind of demon oil to keep the dust down too

Yea I was looking into that as well. Soybean oil soapstock and calcium chloride/lignin sulfonate are a thing. Would still want to get my driveway fixed first though.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Droo posted:

Landscape irrigation system? Crazy neighbor using a hose? City "smart" meter applying the full day of water use to just that 1 hour block?

So the time windows that the city is reporting and the times we are running the sprinklers dont match up, but the frequency of the three different times and their lengths match up to about 10/11gpm and IIRC we're using 3/4" PVC for the sprinklers so I think it's the sprinklers. I had the gardeners change the times that they run and I will be watching for the city to record similar time-shifting of the spikes. There aren't other regular spikes that would account for the yard being watered, and one of the three spikes started two weeks ago when they added an additional shift for the grass sprinkler, so I think the sprinklers are the culprit. No obvious wet spots or flooding to indicate a broken pipe.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mizaq posted:

So the time windows that the city is reporting and the times we are running the sprinklers dont match up, but the frequency of the three different times and their lengths match up to about 10/11gpm and IIRC we're using 3/4" PVC for the sprinklers so I think it's the sprinklers. I had the gardeners change the times that they run and I will be watching for the city to record similar time-shifting of the spikes. There aren't other regular spikes that would account for the yard being watered, and one of the three spikes started two weeks ago when they added an additional shift for the grass sprinkler, so I think the sprinklers are the culprit. No obvious wet spots or flooding to indicate a broken pipe.

Just turn them off for a few days and see what happens. You obviously have some magical smart meter on your house and it should be immediately apparent. (I didn't realize anything but electricity was using smart meters.) Your irrigation controller may have a rain delay button.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sprinklers are probably it. Mine use about 16 gpm max. I can’t think of anything else that uses that much water.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
hey everyone, those extendable hoses that are made of fabric and plastic fuckin rule, they're so much lighter and portable compared to regular garden hoses. just get ones with metal ends and not plastic. and get some quick connects for em

I gotta crawl under my house and figure out why one of my outside spigots doesn't work. I bet there's just an internal valve that's closed somewhere.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

hey everyone, those extendable hoses that are made of fabric and plastic fuckin rule, they're so much lighter and portable compared to regular garden hoses. just get ones with metal ends and not plastic. and get some quick connects for em

I gotta crawl under my house and figure out why one of my outside spigots doesn't work. I bet there's just an internal valve that's closed somewhere.

Is this on of those super collapsible hoses? I thought those were total gimmicks.

Got a link?

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Have a gas tank water heater from 2005. Works just fine, recently drained it and had a bit of sediment but that was about it. I'm guessing though based on age I should probably be replacing it soon before it fails and floods the finished basement.

Was thinking of replacing with a tankless gas heater, though not sure if the energy savings and longer time to replacement would be worth the increased install costs. We moved in last year and going to stay at least for the next 5-10 years. For reference we have a 4br 3.5ba, family of 4.

Chu020 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 28, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
We bought our LG washer/dryer from Costco. Is it worth it/can I get additional warranty coverage even though I bought it in January?

We had a bunch of storms/winds come through and we lost power to roughly half of our house. Tried the breakers but no go. Power company has to come out to check things, and if all is ok, I get to have an electrician come out, which I'm sure is going to be reasonable. :v:

To top it all off, I get to work today. Yesterday was spent mowing my lawn and cleaning out gutters.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Chu020 posted:

Have a gas tank water heater from 2005. Works just fine, recently drained it and had a bit of sediment but that was about it. I'm guessing though based on age I should probably be replacing it soon before it fails and good the finished basement.

Was thinking of replacing with a tankless gas heater, though not sure if the energy savings and longer time to replacement would be worth the increased install costs. We moved in last year and going to stay at least for the next 5-10 years. For reference we have a 4br 3.5ba, family of 4.

Depending on the number of showers+appliances you want to support and input temperature of the water you might need *2* tankless heaters. They are a luxury good and if you don't have a specific need for one I wouldn't do it. Go to a manufacturer website and pull the spec sheet on their biggest model. Look closely at their charts that show gpm/degrees heated by input temperature of the water.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BoyBlunder posted:

Is this on of those super collapsible hoses? I thought those were total gimmicks.

Got a link?

I bought one that developed a small colony of leaks the first summer. I guess you aren’t supposed to leave them pressurized but the valve at the house is hard to turn, so if I leave it off then the kids can’t water the garden or themselves. I bought a different kind to try this year. The reduced weight is really nicer than I expected, and they store well off-season.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Residency Evil posted:

We bought our LG washer/dryer from Costco. Is it worth it/can I get additional warranty coverage even though I bought it in January?

We had a bunch of storms/winds come through and we lost power to roughly half of our house. Tried the breakers but no go. Power company has to come out to check things, and if all is ok, I get to have an electrician come out, which I'm sure is going to be reasonable. :v:

To top it all off, I get to work today. Yesterday was spent mowing my lawn and cleaning out gutters.

No comment on the washer dryer, but do you have any 220v appliances like an electric range and does it work? Half the house sounds like you lost one phase of power in from the pole due to the wind loosening a connection. I'm sure I'm just falsely getting your hopes up but seriously it happened to me and there were no lingering effects. Since a stove works on 220 it uses both phases to heat up the elements, and mine was weak as it was on half power. An inventory of which brakers work would answer that question too. Each phase is generally every other or every other pair in a breaker box on each column.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

StormDrain posted:

No comment on the washer dryer, but do you have any 220v appliances like an electric range and does it work? Half the house sounds like you lost one phase of power in from the pole due to the wind loosening a connection. I'm sure I'm just falsely getting your hopes up but seriously it happened to me and there were no lingering effects. Since a stove works on 220 it uses both phases to heat up the elements, and mine was weak as it was on half power. An inventory of which brakers work would answer that question too. Each phase is generally every other or every other pair in a breaker box on each column.

Just got a call from the electrical company: that's exactly what happened. One phase of power was lost due to the wind. How are houses wired from that perspective? We lost power to our 220v appliances, but we also lost power to other things like lights/outlets that would be standard 110v. Presumably there's a stepdown transformer from 220->110, and whenever they're building the house they somehow decide to split what goes on the 110 from the pole versus the 220/transformer?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Just got a call from the electrical company: that's exactly what happened. One phase of power was lost due to the wind. How are houses wired from that perspective? We lost power to our 220v appliances, but we also lost power to other things like lights/outlets that would be standard 110v. Presumably there's a stepdown transformer from 220->110, and whenever they're building the house they somehow decide to split what goes on the 110 from the pole versus the 220/transformer?

See the three wires going from the pole to your house? Each one is a single 120v phase, middle one is neutral. See even higher on the pole the two wires? That's high voltage. Those go to the white cylinder transformers you see on the poles every few houses to be stepped down to the household voltage you use.

The 220v appliances just use both sides of the split phase power. 110v ones just use one.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It's helpful to think of it coming in as positive 120 and negative 120, and the big appliances use both for a difference of 240. This is of course incorrect because it's alternating current but it gets you through the day.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This video helped me understand how 3-phase and electricity in general works. There's a bunch of other videos about it on youtube and they're all worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oRT7PoXSS0

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

How are houses wired from that perspective?

Go look at your breaker box. Many panels are arranged such that alternating rows tap into different legs of the split-phase. There may be a diagram on the lid showing how the legs are arranged.

B-Nasty fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 28, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wife says everything works now. Thanks guys. It's amazing what you forget years after taking basic physics...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

Got a link?

They're exactly what you'd expect: lightweight and easily collapsible, but also delicate and prone to springing leaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I bought a couple of these and both failed. They really do not like getting scorched in direct sunlight either. The bad reviews are accurate.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Goodyear-1-2-in-dia-x-50-ft-heavy-duty-flat-hose-GYFH12050/207196874

I also bought a couple of these and neither has failed after a year. They are not sitting in direct sunlight though.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/watering-and-irrigation/garden-hoses/7465248